412) Summer 2018 Anime Season Review Part 3

Talk about the Podcast!
Andrew
Site Admin

412) Summer 2018 Anime Season Review Part 3

Postby Andrew » Sun Oct 14, 2018 8:35 am

Wrapping up the Summer 2018 Anime Season, the hosts of the Otaku Spirit Animecast are here with the final selection of shows to review and give their perspective. Lots of Season 3s and the validity of strengths to be discussed!

Anime Reviewed in this Episode: Yuuna and the Haunted Hot Springs, Hanebado, Revue Starlight, Asobi Asobase, Encouragement of Climb 3, Overlord 3, My Hero Academia 3, and comments about Attack on Titan 3 and Banana Fish.

Following the spoiler free reviews of each of the shows and the outro music, we enjoy a spoiler filled discussion of Revue Starlight and Overlord 3. If you have not watched Revue Starlight, avoid listening between 1:58:16 and 2:07:04. If you have not watched Overlord 3, avoid listening between 2:07:04 and 2:14:10.

The opening song for this episode is the OP for Overlord 3 called “VORACITY” by Myth and Roid. The closing song for this episode is the ED for Yuuna and the Haunted Hot Springs called “Happen Kogarashi ni Fukarete” by the cast. The song following the spoiler discussion is the ED for Overlord 3 called “Silent Solitude” by OxT.

We hope you all enjoy!
http://otakuspirit.com/2018/10/animecas ... ew-part-3/
Keep Connected to OtakuSpirit: YouTube, Facebook, iTunes, Twitter, MyAnimeList
Fate Grand Order: Tsubaki 554,837,694

SethAmaha
Anime Junky

Re: 412) Summer 2018 Anime Season Review Part 3

Postby SethAmaha » Mon Oct 15, 2018 7:08 am

Hanebado (its a long one, please bear with me)
Spoiler:
Oh god, where do I even start? This show was one hell of roller coaster for me. At a certain point, it became very hard to watch. I clicked on the episodes very begrudgingly because I knew that it was going to make me mad and each week it did. The drama between Ayano and that woman became more and more intense, to the point where it was the most important part of the show. The game itself became completely meaningless for me and I really did not care how they ended; all that mattered was how that drama was going to be concluded. With how hard the show hit on it more and more each episode, I knew that how it ended would determine how I would feel about the show.

I got a small bit of light from the blonde bimbo; when Ayano turned to that idiot and told her off, I was giddy. When that dumb moron asked to be a family, all I could think about was if she hit her head somewhere and had forgotten how big of a jerk she was just a few episodes ago and I loved that Ayano was not moved as would be stupidly typical of most anime, but instead told her off like she should have. It was then that I fell in love with Ayano in fact. Because she was severely affected by that gao woman, bottled those feelings down for years, was broken, and bit back hard instead of getting depressed. This leads me to the next point: I actually found her attitude endearing.

Unlike Nagisa who had a terrible intro that made me hate her all throughout the show, even after she cooled off in episode 2, Ayano was molded to be that way. The show did a great job at showing why she became the way she became and made me accept an attitude I normally hate. When she went on the court, that trauma was triggered and she fought against it by using her anger and frustration into destroying her opponents. Her winning was essentially her winning against that woman so that she may later reject all on her on free will. This is why I connected to her so much and why she became my favorite character. Yeah, she is not for everyone and I accept that, but for me she was the real tragic hero of the story, not Nagisa. As I dais, I never really liked Nagisa and I actually found myself hating her even more as the show tried so hard to redeem her.

All that said, it should come at no surprised just how much I hated the ending. This was an ending that made me genuinely mad. I doubt any show has ever made me as mad as this did. Overall, this beat even School Days in terms of how much I hate this anime. Unlike School Days where it was just plan good at making me hate the characters and gave me no expectations fo ending well, I had a lot of hope for this. As I said, Every episode was a struggle for me. I kept watching because I had a lot of hope that it would give me an ending that would knock it out for me. A good ending would have been like getting a huge satisfaction of struggling through a very arduous task, but with that end, it was more like forcing yourself to pick up a whole bunch of weights, a little more each time, and having it all drop on your foot. This was not a fun experience for me. I get what they were trying to do. I get that they were going for an "she is grown up and is healed by letting go of her hate and forgiving the villain, type of ending. But with how much this whole drama hits real world problems and with how much they emphasised it, that type of ending does not work. It may work for shows like Planet With where the problems are so out of this world where any ending is acceptable, but when the drama feels so real and the problems so sympathetic, the only way to end it is a way that feels just as real. A real ending would have been for her to not forgive that woman, to tell her to go away, and that she will continue(or even giving up) badminton for herself an not for her. That woman was as real as a villain gets and I hated her with every cell of my being and for her to practically get everything she wanted, felt sickening to me. She got Ayano to be better at Badminton by abandoning her, she had no real remorse for her actions, and in the end was forgiven for it and that is why I hate this show; because the real villain of the story is the ultimate winner in the end. Ayano put off a strong face when she forgave her, but that's all it was. When she broke down crying on Serena's arms, I cried out of frustration. I honestly cannot express in full details my absolute hate of what had happened and for that reason I cannot in any way, shape or form recommend this show because I could never have anyone go through ll that frustration, only to come out pissed off in the end.

Revue Starlight
Spoiler:
This one is a bit weird to talk about just because I know that I saw this show in a unique way from most people. I realized about halfway through the show, what kind of of storytelling the show was portraying. I've watched many plays, mostly out of pure interest in the arts, and I can tell you that the way the story is told is like an actual play. Taking in consideration how the scenes change, how the characters act, and how the story progresses, the story is told much like a stage play. Even the Revenue battles looked more like a play within a play. It works well for this type of story just a mainly due to the setting and I found it quite fascinating that the writers of this show were able to do that. Because of this, I found a great appreciation for the show. Its mainly the reason why I didn't fault it too bad for it's ending. If I had watched this show like I do any other, I definitely would be ranting more about it because so little of it made any sense until you realize that the reason why the story jumps through so much is because it is mirroring that jumps in logic many stage plays tend to go through. Of course, this is just my own weird way of looking at this show and is probably useless now that the only ones reading this may have either finished it or dropped it so it is of no use to them; maybe someone new to it may find this view useful and find some appreciation for it.

Yuuna and the Haunted Hot Springs
About Chitose, she isn't possed by a Zashiki-warashi, she is a Zashiki-warashi. Her dialogue with the principle suggest she is much older than everyone else and that the reason she is going to school is because she wanted to experience a normal school life like everyone else.

Mys145
I Bleed Anime

Postby Mys145 » Mon Oct 15, 2018 8:22 am

It's Tomb of Nazarick not Tome of Nazarick. If you were saying Tomb then I apologize but it sounded like Tome. During the Attack on Titan segment, you meant coup d'etat not coup de grace but well done for saying coup de grace correctly though. In Banana Fish, every time Andrew said Eiji I thought he said Edgy.

I'm pretty sure there was no uncensored version of Yuuna and the Haunted Springs. The OVAs have uncensored breasts.

Even though I like Nagisa more than Ayano, I don't feel like Ayano ruined the show for me. It did create the rare situation where you root for the rival character instead of the hero of the story.

I think you should mention the director of Revue Starlight being a student of the director of Utena during the review than just saying it was mimicking Utena. I have some comments about what Chris said during the spoiler section:

Spoiler:
All the girls have the ambition to be the top star. You don't really anything else. It's petty yes but that's the entertainment business for you. I'm just curious to why you felt they need more drama and give examples on what you would have done, Chris.

The following is an annoyance on my part. When Andrew mention the phantom thief in Asobi Asobase being a Persona 5 (not 4) reference, it just got to me. The phantom thief has been a Japanese trope for decades. It didn't exist before Persona 5 and most phantom thief references won't be callback to Persona 5. Just because Persona 5 was popular around the world and probably most non-Japanese people who played Persona 5 haven't heard of phantom thieves doesn't mean all phantom thieves references are from Persona 5. If the phantom thief was dressed like the characters in Persona 5, then I wouldn't have a problem but in the case of Asobi Asobase, it was just a general phantom thief reference not a Persona 5 one.

Andrew, you meant Goblins not Orcs when talking about the poor CGI army.

I love how everyone forgets about the filler episode in Season 2 of My Hero Academia. That was
Spoiler:
The Froppie episode during her internship
. And just like the movie tie-in episode, the show told you in advance that it was a filler episode. I really want to know why people forget about the Season 2 filler episode when bringing up there was "no" filler in My Hero before Season 3.

Looks like Attack on Titan Season 3 is actually a split cour which the second half will be in April 2019.

fragoff
Anime Junky

Postby fragoff » Mon Oct 15, 2018 10:06 pm

For overlord, i am very surprised that you guys missed it, i really thoutgh it was a very interesting element of the story at that time:
Momo/ains does say, in one of the early episodes of season one, that he feel his 'evil side' creeping on him and that if he stays long enought in this isekai, it will overtake him completly.

I also believe that the move at the end of season 3 was not the making of an empire. I think Ains is still testing. His main concern being he wan't to see if he is the only player in the world or not. He probably also wants to test various things like strengh of the different parties, the limits of what he can do and other stuff.
Shaltear's possession was not necessarly because of a player. They do say at some point that an usable legendary item could do it.
"Tolerance is the lube that helps slip the didlo of dysfunction into the neko of a civilized society" -Plato