414) Trade my FuniRoll for a CrunchyDive!

Talk about the Podcast!
Andrew
Site Admin

414) Trade my FuniRoll for a CrunchyDive!

Postby Andrew » Sun Oct 21, 2018 10:25 am

With the recent breakup of two leading anime streaming companies, the hosts of the Otaku Spirit Animecast are here to dive into the biggest news and give their opinions on them.

Topics this episode: Violet Evergarden Extra, Seven Deadly Sins 2, Hi Score Girl OVA, Sentai Filmworks January Releases, Ikki Tousen, Nande Koko Ni Sensei Ga Anime, Eromanga Sensei OVA, Studio Gokumi Original, In This Corner of the World Extended Version, Certain Scientific Railgun 3, Certain Scientific Accelerator Anime, Zombieland Saga Manga, Maria the Virgin Witch new Chapter, Production IMS Bankruptcy, AICO ReDub, Senran Kagura Censorship, Strike the Blood 3, Attack on Titan Split Cour, Sacred Star of Milos Expiration, Tatsunoko Productions original, Wakana Ootaki, Saga of Tanya the Evil Film, Sarazanmai, Emma Kickstarter, Laid Back Camp Season 2, Mega Man Live Action, Rainy Cocoa, Kabaneri of the Iron Fortress promo, Funimation and Crunchyroll partnership ending, and much more!

Thanks to SethAmaha for the great questions featured on this episode.

The intro for this episode is the OP for Kakegurui called “Deal with the devil” by Tia. The outro for this episode is the ED for Sunday Without God called “Owaranai Melody Wo Utaidashimashita” by Mikako Komatsu.

We hope you all enjoy!
http://otakuspirit.com/2018/10/animecas ... unchydive/
Keep Connected to OtakuSpirit: YouTube, Facebook, iTunes, Twitter, MyAnimeList
Fate Grand Order: Tsubaki 554,837,694

BlueSpark
I Bleed Anime

Re: 414) Trade my FuniRoll for a CrunchyDive!

Postby BlueSpark » Mon Oct 22, 2018 2:24 am

I was so psyched when I read about the Railgun season 3 announcement! Of course, it'll still be a while until I can actually watch it (especially if it doesn't get a simuldub; although since Index is getting one, chances are Railgun will, too). I was just a little salty when we heard about the new season of Index, but now that my preferred spin-off is getting a sequel, as well, all is fine with the world.

... Well, maybe not all. The Funiroll split is a bit of a downer. From what I've read, it actually has the fandom in quite a state of confusion/uproar. People on the Animedubs Reddit are speculating whether this will negatively impact the future of localized animes or whether everything will even itself out. Some even suggest that it might turn out to be a blessing in disguise: Funimation have been focusing on specific genres with their simuldubs lately, leaving fans of romance and slice of life high and dry. Now that they have to acquire their own titles again, the idea is that they might shoot for a healthy genre mix again.

Either way, whatever criticism anyone may level at Funimation - to me as a dub fan, they're a godsent. I really hope they can leverage the (financial) backing provided by Sony to keep doing what they're doing. Oh, and I hope that Crunchyroll becomes a bit more active in producing dubs (or having them produced, as it were). I hear there have been signs pointing in that direction recently.
Know a decent number of anime characters? Check out my forum game!

Mys145
I Bleed Anime

Postby Mys145 » Mon Oct 22, 2018 5:35 pm

Ingress is the only confirmed Netflix show of the season. I haven't seen Million Arthur being a Netflix show but it won't be out until Thursday.

I really think Chris should check out Kakegurui and maybe the Kakegurui review would be good.

I wonder if someone made a timeline of the Index series since it jumps over the place. From the key art of Railgun Season 3, it will take place during Index series 2. I don't know when the Accelerator manga occurs in the timeline. So I'm saying the Index series aren't just watch Index 1, then Railgun 1, Index 2, Railgun 2, Index 3, and so forth because at least with Railgun, it starts before Index 1 and mix in with the Index seasons. Also for your question about the girl in the Accelerator key art, I will keep it a very minimum spoiler.

Spoiler:
She is a clone of Misaka aka Railgun. Her name is Last Order which is in the cast list.

I just finished watching Blade Dance and it ends similarly to Failed Knight. Take it as you will.

Andrew, what you didn't you like about Devilman Crybaby? If it's about the art style, then it all depends on how you feel about the director's previous shows like Ping Pong the Animation or Kaiba since he has an unique style to him.

michelous
Anime Junky

Postby michelous » Sun Nov 11, 2018 1:01 pm

With zombie land saga my guess is they won’t dub the raps for their first dub but on the dvd/bd dub like they did with dance with devils

Andrew
Site Admin

Postby Andrew » Wed Nov 14, 2018 1:07 am

BlueSpark wrote:... Well, maybe not all. The Funiroll split is a bit of a downer. From what I've read, it actually has the fandom in quite a state of confusion/uproar. People on the Animedubs Reddit are speculating whether this will negatively impact the future of localized animes or whether everything will even itself out. Some even suggest that it might turn out to be a blessing in disguise: Funimation have been focusing on specific genres with their simuldubs lately, leaving fans of romance and slice of life high and dry. Now that they have to acquire their own titles again, the idea is that they might shoot for a healthy genre mix again.

Either way, whatever criticism anyone may level at Funimation - to me as a dub fan, they're a godsent. I really hope they can leverage the (financial) backing provided by Sony to keep doing what they're doing. Oh, and I hope that Crunchyroll becomes a bit more active in producing dubs (or having them produced, as it were). I hear there have been signs pointing in that direction recently.

I think we'll see Crunchyroll fold back to their old ways where they only grab Streaming Rights and Sentai Filmworks grabs Distribution Rights off and on. Although there was a lot that slipped through the cracks. Most likely because Crunchyroll had to buy distribution bundled and never did anything with it.

I definitely see your point on the genre mix. Now that you mention it, it seems so true. Maybe romance doesn't sell as well? I'm not sure if there's any NA metrics out there.

Mys145 wrote:Ingress is the only confirmed Netflix show of the season. I haven't seen Million Arthur being a Netflix show but it won't be out until Thursday.

That's what I ended up seeing. Forgot to mention Ingress on the podcast so thanks for the follow up.

Mys145 wrote:Andrew, what you didn't you like about Devilman Crybaby? If it's about the art style, then it all depends on how you feel about the director's previous shows like Ping Pong the Animation or Kaiba since he has an unique style to him.

I was allllll over the place on it. Mostly didn't like some of the monster designs. Character art wasn't so bad if I recall correctly. But I do see similarities there.
Keep Connected to OtakuSpirit: YouTube, Facebook, iTunes, Twitter, MyAnimeList
Fate Grand Order: Tsubaki 554,837,694