416) Fall 2018 Anime Season First Impressions

Talk about the Podcast!
Andrew
Site Admin

416) Fall 2018 Anime Season First Impressions

Postby Andrew » Sun Nov 04, 2018 10:49 am

Reaching the early points of the Fall 2018 Anime Season, the hosts of the Otaku Spirit Animecast are here to give their first impressions of a vast majority of the shows. Listen in and find out which they think are panning out!

Anime Featured in this Episode: Sword Art Online Alicization, Goblin Slayer, That Time I got Reincarnated as a Slime, Rascal Does Not Dream of Bunny Girl Senpai, Zombie Land Saga, Iroduku The World in Colors, Bloom Into You, SSSS GRIDMAN, Boarding School Juliet, UzaMaid, Ms Vampire Who Lives In My Neighborhood, My Sister My Writer, Release The Spyce, Uylsses Jeanne d’Arc and the Alchemist Knight, Run With The Wind, Golden Kamuy 2, Conception, Hinomaru Sumo, The Girl in Twilight, Tsurune, Karakuri Circus, Anima Yell, As Miss Beelzebub likes, RErideD, Between the Sky and Sea, Merc StoriA The Apathetic Boy and the Girl in a Bottle, Senran Kagura Shinovi Master, Voice of Fox, Thunderbolt Fantasy 2, Fist of the Blue Sky Regenesis 2, Jingai-san no Yome, Himote House, Space Battleship Tiramisu Zwei, and Skull-face Bookseller Honda-san.

The intro music for this episode is the OP for RErideD called “PARADOX” by QUADRANGLE. The outro music for this episode is the ED for Rascal Does Not Dream of Bunny Girl Senpai called “Fukashigi no Carte” by Tomoe Koga (Nao Touyama).

We hope you all enjoy!
http://otakuspirit.com/2018/11/animecas ... pressions/
Keep Connected to OtakuSpirit: YouTube, Facebook, iTunes, Twitter, MyAnimeList
Fate Grand Order: Tsubaki 554,837,694

fragoff
Anime Junky

Re: 416) Fall 2018 Anime Season First Impressions

Postby fragoff » Sun Nov 04, 2018 10:56 am

Zombieland saga ftw!
"Tolerance is the lube that helps slip the didlo of dysfunction into the neko of a civilized society" -Plato

SethAmaha
Anime Junky

Postby SethAmaha » Sun Nov 04, 2018 8:56 pm

ON the subject of the umbrella, I think he did the right choice. I've had umbrellas of that style and they aren't very strong lengthwise so trying to smack someone with it will just break it after the first hit so stabbing is actually the correct choice in that scenario.

fragoff
Anime Junky

Postby fragoff » Mon Nov 05, 2018 4:10 pm

SethAmaha wrote:ON the subject of the umbrella, I think he did the right choice. I've had umbrellas of that style and they aren't very strong lengthwise so trying to smack someone with it will just break it after the first hit so stabbing is actually the correct choice in that scenario.

I think what he meant is that kirito could have slaped the seringe out of the hand of the guy. Being extremly good with a sword, this should not have been an issue for him. And the umbrella would have worked that way.

Mind you the leg makes sense so that asuna could flee wile the guy is crippled. In self defense courses, this is often the thing we try to teach. If you can cripple your agressor just enought so you can have a head start to run away.
And a pierced bleeding leg goes a long way.
"Tolerance is the lube that helps slip the didlo of dysfunction into the neko of a civilized society" -Plato

BlueSpark
I Bleed Anime

Postby BlueSpark » Thu Nov 08, 2018 3:26 am

If Goblin Slayer keeps up its focus on battlefield tactics, I might just be interested. That's the stuff which draws me to series like Full Metal Panic! and Girls und Panzer. Also, simuldub exists, so yay.

The concept of Zombieland Saga sounds quite awesome with potential for hilarity :D. Being simuldubbed, as well, so I'll probably check it out once it's completed.

Bloom into You is practically a guaranteed watch for me. I read about it a while ago. While Citrus didn't fully impress me, it did pique my curiosity. Also currently airing dubbed - this is shaping up nicely for me.

You have caught my attention on UzaMaid, Andrew. When people say a show is too daring and clearly stepping over the line, I get the urge to see what it's all about (still contemplating watching Franxx). Very few shows make me offended or cringe, so that shouldn't be an issue. Unfortunately, there's so dub so far, and it doesn't exactly seem like the type of anime which would be localized for a disc release.

The sumo show sounds fun for me. I actually used to enjoy watching sumo wrestling on late-night TV in my younger years. Most people will probably only glance at it superficially and call me crazy, but I was always fascinated by how diverse of a sport it is. I mean, you've got lifting, pushing, hitting, and dodging techniques, so there's an interesting strategic variety. I'm curious to see how the anime represents these different facets. And, believe it or not, this show is being simuldubbed, as well (which I never would've guessed) :).

Tsurune as this season's KyoAni work is a must-watch for me, no ifs, ands, or buts. However, it looks like I'll have to wait for the home video release for a dub. Unless they pull another Sound Euphonium on me... Gah, still salty about that one.

I read the synopsis for RerideD about two weeks ago and was pretty intrigued. I'll be looking forward to your final review at the end of the season. But chances are, no matter what you have to say about it, I'll give it a shot, regardless. Also being simuldubbed. Overall, it looks like I'm pretty fortunate regarding dub availability this season.
Know a decent number of anime characters? Check out my forum game!

Mys145
I Bleed Anime

Postby Mys145 » Thu Nov 08, 2018 11:11 am

I couldn't get past the second episode of Boarding School Juliet. I couldn't get past the interactions of the main characters and nothing else was worth it to keep watching it.

I'm going to play devil's advocate for a second for My Sister My Writer. I haven't seen whatever picture that you guys using to compare to the anime itself but it's entirely possible that the picture was from the light novel itself which do have different character art from the anime itself. I don't typically look at any pictures before an anime starts so I don't have any problems visually with the show.

I think you're so fixated on the food and weirdness of Golden Kamuy 2 that you don't realize that the main story hasn't taken a back seat at all, Andrew.

I don't really like super lazy main characters which As Miss Beelzebub likes has. Also I wonder if anyone else realizes that the sweater Beelzebub was wearing is basically a virgin killer sweater.

Andrew
Site Admin

Postby Andrew » Sun Nov 11, 2018 11:25 am

fragoff wrote:Zombieland saga ftw!

NICE BIRDY!

SethAmaha wrote:ON the subject of the umbrella, I think he did the right choice. I've had umbrellas of that style and they aren't very strong lengthwise so trying to smack someone with it will just break it after the first hit so stabbing is actually the correct choice in that scenario.

Didn't know landing in a coma with brain damage was the right choice. I'd rather have smacked the syringe wielding arm with my umbrella and enjoyed the rest of my night with the harem. But that's just me...
::mischief::

He has hit smaller targets with a sword before (and they have hit on the fact that he retains his practice in the real world by beating his sister who is trained).

BlueSpark wrote:If Goblin Slayer keeps up its focus on battlefield tactics, I might just be interested. That's the stuff which draws me to series like Full Metal Panic! and Girls und Panzer. Also, simuldub exists, so yay.

You're in good hands then. It's the writer's bread and butter as I've seen from the manga which seems close to the source.

BlueSpark wrote:The concept of Zombieland Saga sounds quite awesome with potential for hilarity :D. Being simuldubbed, as well, so I'll probably check it out once it's completed.

Really do hope the english voice actor can pull off that producer. A lot of the chemistry rides on it!

BlueSpark wrote:Tsurune as this season's KyoAni work is a must-watch for me, no ifs, ands, or buts. However, it looks like I'll have to wait for the home video release for a dub. Unless they pull another Sound Euphonium on me... Gah, still salty about that one.

Seems like a wasted opportunity, but PonycanUS is too much a branch of its JP organization... However, it looks like Sentai Filmworks has it for NA at least. So it should have a dub down the road (hopefully)

BlueSpark wrote:I read the synopsis for RerideD about two weeks ago and was pretty intrigued. I'll be looking forward to your final review at the end of the season. But chances are, no matter what you have to say about it, I'll give it a shot, regardless. Also being simuldubbed. Overall, it looks like I'm pretty fortunate regarding dub availability this season.

Hah, I'll definitely be keeping up on it. It's just one of those ones I have my issues with, but the intrigue is enough to pull me through it.

Mys145 wrote:I'm going to play devil's advocate for a second for My Sister My Writer. I haven't seen whatever picture that you guys using to compare to the anime itself but it's entirely possible that the picture was from the light novel itself which do have different character art from the anime itself. I don't typically look at any pictures before an anime starts so I don't have any problems visually with the show.

Nope, they were screencaps we were looking at. VN cells, Manga/Novel illustrations, and Anime frames are very obviously different just at a glance for me. Plus they were all scenes I remember from the show.

But like I said, it's not just us. Twitter JP, NicoNico, and rest of Twitter is having fun with it.

Mys145 wrote:I think you're so fixated on the food and weirdness of Golden Kamuy 2 that you don't realize that the main story hasn't taken a back seat at all, Andrew.

I think you're just too fixated on my critiques that you don't realize the rest of what I say. ::mischief::

Mys145 wrote:I don't really like super lazy main characters which As Miss Beelzebub likes has. Also I wonder if anyone else realizes that the sweater Beelzebub was wearing is basically a virgin killer sweater.
[/quote]
Hey, an agreement!
Keep Connected to OtakuSpirit: YouTube, Facebook, iTunes, Twitter, MyAnimeList
Fate Grand Order: Tsubaki 554,837,694

Mys145
I Bleed Anime

Postby Mys145 » Tue Nov 13, 2018 12:58 pm

Andrew wrote:

Didn't know landing in a coma with brain damage was the right choice. I'd rather have smacked the syringe wielding arm with my umbrella and enjoyed the rest of my night with the harem. But that's just me...
::mischief::

He has hit smaller targets with a sword before (and they have hit on the fact that he retains his practice in the real world by beating his sister who is trained).

You might have gotten rid of the syringe but it might not have broken when hit on the ground and your umbrella might be useless afterwards. Stabbing him in the leg with the umbrella is the better option since you will greatly hampered his attempt to go after you. This is a fight where you want to give yourself the best chance to run and smacking his arm doesn't give you the best chance to run. Kirito was just unlucky that he managed to connect with the syringe.

Andrew wrote:
Mys145 wrote:I'm going to play devil's advocate for a second for My Sister My Writer. I haven't seen whatever picture that you guys using to compare to the anime itself but it's entirely possible that the picture was from the light novel itself which do have different character art from the anime itself. I don't typically look at any pictures before an anime starts so I don't have any problems visually with the show.

Nope, they were screencaps we were looking at. VN cells, Manga/Novel illustrations, and Anime frames are very obviously different just at a glance for me. Plus they were all scenes I remember from the show.

Isn't that the point I was making that there could be differences between sources? Usually character designs get changed between manga to the anime like with Attack on Titan or One Punch Man and people didn't have a problem with those changes.

Andrew wrote:
Mys145 wrote:I think you're so fixated on the food and weirdness of Golden Kamuy 2 that you don't realize that the main story hasn't taken a back seat at all, Andrew.

I think you're just too fixated on my critiques that you don't realize the rest of what I say. ::mischief:

I went back to the Golden Kamuy Season 2 portion and during the whole 3-4 minutes spend on it, it was you saying that you mostly dislike the show because they seem to lost track of the main story and focus on wild and crazy antics of the main cast and their wild food adventures. Now you lost hope for the main cast and only like some of the other characters now and ponder if it's worth continuing watching it because you invested so much.

So besides liking some of the characters and like the initial concept from season 1, it's hard for me to draw a conclusion that it isn't "Andrew doesn't like the show now." I was trying to give a benefit of doubt that I might be wrong and miss something but my initial assumption was on point. If you were joking or want to point out what I missed, please let me know because I want to know.