419) No Anime Silver Bullet

Talk about the Podcast!
User avatar
Andrew
Site Admin
Posts: 4998
Joined: Tue Jan 14, 2014 2:41 pm

419) No Anime Silver Bullet

Postby Andrew » Sun Nov 11, 2018 10:05 am

Image
Live Action adaptations, release plans, as well as Crunchyroll and Funimation’s future are all on the outline for this edition of the Otaku Spirit Animecast Discussional Podcast episode. Listen in and get the latest from the hosts.

Topics this episode: Marchen Madchen Blu-ray, Maquia Release, Discotek Releases, Hachigatsu no Cinderella Nine Anime, Crunchyroll Subscriptions, Isekai Quartet, PS Classic, Capcom plans, Fate Extella Link, Wasteful Days of High School Girl Anime, Takeshi Azuma new Manga, Hero Mask Anime, Konosuba JRPG, Record Of Lodoss Wars Sequel Novel, Spice and Wolf VR, School Live LA, Yuko Ouno hiatus, Carole and Tuesday Anime, Kabukichou Sherlock, Flowers of Evil LA, Darwin’s Game Anime, new Netflix titles, Square Enix News, Dorohedoro Anime, Zoku Owarimonogatari, The Anime Funding Silver Bullet, and much more!

Thanks to Simon Lightning, SethAmaha, JackTWD4th, and Fullmetal-Senpai for the great questions featured on this episode.

The intro for this episode is the OP for Shirobako called “COLORFUL BOX” by Yoko Ishida. The outro for this episode is the OP for Blue Seed called “Carnival Babel” by Takada Band.

We hope you all enjoy!
http://otakuspirit.com/2018/11/animecas ... er-bullet/
Image
Keep Connected to OtakuSpirit: YouTube, Facebook, iTunes, Twitter, MyAnimeList
Fate Grand Order: Tsubaki 554,837,694

User avatar
SethAmaha
Anime Junky
Posts: 768
Joined: Mon Jun 18, 2018 5:07 am
Contact:

Re: 419) No Anime Silver Bullet

Postby SethAmaha » Mon Nov 12, 2018 2:34 am

I don't think anyone would mind having some compression for the episodes, at the very least the non music ones. It does help those who don't have the best connections and even downloading a single episode takes quite a while.

I'm surprised you guys did the Hell question I redacted but skipped the first rapid fire question. Do you guys keep a copy of it ahead of time?

User avatar
kzalaz
I Like Anime
Posts: 10
Joined: Fri Sep 28, 2018 7:42 pm

Re: 419) No Anime Silver Bullet

Postby kzalaz » Mon Nov 12, 2018 5:39 am

I would recommend the app Poket Casts, It is really good to manage all your podcasts, one functionality being automatically downloading episodes when available using WiFi, you can manage auto clean up as well. I would always prefer good audio.

User avatar
SethAmaha
Anime Junky
Posts: 768
Joined: Mon Jun 18, 2018 5:07 am
Contact:

Re: 419) No Anime Silver Bullet

Postby SethAmaha » Mon Nov 12, 2018 6:57 am

Personally, Castbox has been very reliable for me.

User avatar
BlueSpark
I Bleed Anime
Posts: 1118
Joined: Thu Mar 02, 2017 11:23 am
Location: Germany

Re: 419) No Anime Silver Bullet

Postby BlueSpark » Tue Nov 13, 2018 12:05 pm

I'm sorry, Andrew, but your pronunciation of "Märchen Mädchen" is way off :D. Time for a quick lesson.

  • First off, the ch in both words corresponds to a sound that doesn't exist in English. I recommend you stick to simply pronouncing it as a 'k' - that's the best approximation I can think of. In fact, there are certain German words in which some people do pronounce it as 'k' ("China" comes to mind).
  • The sound of ä resembles that of the English a in "shack," just stretched out a bit longer.
  • The pronunciation of r in German is completely different from how you say it in English. Actually, at the end of a syllable like in Märchen, it isn't pronounced as a consonant at all, but rather as a weakened vowel. But there's no way I could 'teach' you how to say it properly in writing, so you're better off sticking with your natural way of pronouncing it.
  • Also, the e in the final syllable of both words is actually a mute sound in everyday spoken German. You can pronounce it, but that usually only happens in certain songs, plays, or similar occasions where there's a focus on very clear enunciation.
  • Of course, it doesn't help that the n at the end of both words isn't really pronounced the same way it is in English, either, so it doesn't exactly jive well with the improvised 'k' when leaving out the 'e'.

At this point, I bet I'm just causing further confusion, so I'll leave it here for now ;).


I think I've made my stance on this abundantly clear in the past, but just to sum it up once more: Funimation is a dubbed-anime fan's best friend. Not only because they simuldub many of their shows (Although that is a significant advantage), but because they have a range of talented actors they frequently work with, possess an immense amount of experience in producing dubs, and are determined to bring localized shows to fans. Before the Crunchyroll partnership, heck, even before simuldubbing became a thing, they dubbed practically everything they licensed as far as I know. And I'm sure that trend will, for the most part, continue now that the partnership has expired.

For a fan like me, that means if Funi licenses it, chances are I'll get to watch it. If a company like Aniplex gets their hands on it, I can pretty much kiss it goodbye. Same for Amazon, but at least they don't produce home video releases, so those licenses go to someone else eventually. And now that Crunchyroll is no longer affiliated with Funimation, my fear is they'll acquire a lot of sub-only titles again.

I'd also like to point out that calling Funimation's dub of Kobayashi's Dragon Maid a mess-up is a very subjective statement. Setting aside the fact that the controversy is only about a couple of lines in a whole 13-episode script, there are numerous people out there defending the dub as a whole and even said lines with sound arguments. I personally found nothing wrong with the dub in the first place, but that's beside the point. Just wanted to throw out a differing opinion, because I hear that tends to be a good thing on a forum ;).
Image
Know a decent number of anime characters? Check out my forum game!

User avatar
fragoff
Anime Junky
Posts: 797
Joined: Mon Feb 20, 2017 4:09 am

Re: 419) No Anime Silver Bullet

Postby fragoff » Tue Nov 13, 2018 4:51 pm

luckily for me, reading german is easy. i just promounce what i see in my native langage, it almost always fit.
but you're gonna have to explain that one to me:
BlueSpark wrote:
First off, the ch in both words corresponds to a sound that doesn't exist in English. I recommend you stick to simply pronouncing it as a 'k' - that's the best approximation I can think of. In fact, there are certain German words in which some people do pronounce it as 'k' ("China" comes to mind).


because the CH is pronouced as in china. So i do not understand why you talk about K. even phoneticaly, the ch of Märchen is [ç] wich is a light [ch]. and after looking it up, this rule applie because it is followed be an E, not preceded by an S, where K would be right.
"Tolerance is the lube that helps slip the didlo of dysfunction into the neko of a civilized society" -Plato

User avatar
Andrew
Site Admin
Posts: 4998
Joined: Tue Jan 14, 2014 2:41 pm

Re: 419) No Anime Silver Bullet

Postby Andrew » Wed Nov 14, 2018 12:48 am

First off, really don't want this to sound mean, because it's not intended to be. But unless people are just bored and want to write it up, I personally don't really care what I mispronounce or to learn how to pronounce many of these words. Just don't want people to waste their time writing up the stuff for no reason. Dealing with keeping track of thousands of Japanese names, settings, organizations, etc of 30+ shows every 3 months while also keeping up with overtime with a stressful job, Im not going to say everything right.

That said, learning a German one that isn't even pronounced the same in JP is not gonna happen. They pronounced it Mah'hen Maydo'hen.

BlueSpark wrote:I'd also like to point out that calling Funimation's dub of Kobayashi's Dragon Maid a mess-up is a very subjective statement. Setting aside the fact that the controversy is only about a couple of lines in a whole 13-episode script, there are numerous people out there defending the dub as a whole and even said lines with sound arguments. I personally found nothing wrong with the dub in the first place, but that's beside the point. Just wanted to throw out a differing opinion, because I hear that tends to be a good thing on a forum ;).

That's fine. I just personally have an issue with other creators changing the original creator's intent. Claims of a child "slut shaming" or the whoas of dealing with the "patriarchy" is downright disrespectful to the original creator. Even if it's only a few lines, it's offputting for those that may see those insults on a regular basis depending on their cultural or political standpoint. It's like every gamer during the Prison School debacle.

And yes, I would equally as not want the opposite to be existent that is obvioulsy against these writer's opinion and have, for example, a dub where it's mocking feminists or saying female game developers are terrible people. Yes, commentary on American politics sometimes exists in Japanese media (Trump in Inuyashiki) but it isn't the crap I avoid daily on Twitter nor do I wish to avoid it in my anime (escapism).

That said, I'm fine with it not having bothered you. And I agree that a few lines may not ruin 13 episodes of great dub for most people. But it's these jabs that can muddy it for others. Especially a wonderful show like Miss Kobayashi. Thanks for voicing your take though, because I appreciate a dub fan's take.
Image
Keep Connected to OtakuSpirit: YouTube, Facebook, iTunes, Twitter, MyAnimeList
Fate Grand Order: Tsubaki 554,837,694

User avatar
BlueSpark
I Bleed Anime
Posts: 1118
Joined: Thu Mar 02, 2017 11:23 am
Location: Germany

Re: 419) No Anime Silver Bullet

Postby BlueSpark » Wed Nov 14, 2018 3:59 am

fragoff wrote:even phoneticaly, the ch of Märchen is [ç] wich is a light [ch].
That's exactly right. Perhaps I should've been even more meticulous and used proper phonetic notation. The problem is that [ç] isn't used in the English language, so a native speaker wouldn't have the first idea on how to pronounce it. The English pronunciation of "ch" is far removed from the [ç] sound specifically because it adds a [t] phon to the begining. Actually, now that I think about it, "sh" might be a better choice than "k".

On my suggested approximation of [k], I distinctly remember a chemistry teacher in middle/high school who pronounced "China" as "Kina" (And no, he didn't have a speech impediment ;)). I'm pretty sure I've heard a handful of other people pronouncing words containing [ç] as [k], as well. Not saying it's a widespread phenomenon, but it exists.

Andrew wrote:First off, really don't want this to sound mean, because it's not intended to be. [...] Im not going to say everything right.
No offense taken. You're right on point with your description, actually: I simply enjoy writing, especially about things I'm passionate about. Which includes linguistics. I never expected you to take my ramblings to heart and try to improve your German pronunciation ;), I just thought there was an off-chance someone might find my insights interesting.

You're also right about the Japanese not pronouncing German words correctly. When I heard you say "I think I finally got it right," I furrowed my brows a bit (since it certainly wasn't accurate by native-speaker standards :P). But it makes sense if you were emulating the way it's pronounced in the series.

Andrew wrote:Thanks for voicing your take though, because I appreciate a dub fan's take.
Always glad to provide a dub watcher's perspective :). Since I've been following the AnimeDubs subreddit lately, I've been getting even more insights into the industry and current events related to dubs, so count on me to make additional comments on this topic when appropriate.

It's unlikely we'll ever see eye to eye on the whole "creator's intent" thing, but I think that's alright. Live and let live, watch and let watch. I hope you can forgive me for occasionally getting a little bit defensive when I hear anime dubs being bashed.
Image
Know a decent number of anime characters? Check out my forum game!

User avatar
Andrew
Site Admin
Posts: 4998
Joined: Tue Jan 14, 2014 2:41 pm

Re: 419) No Anime Silver Bullet

Postby Andrew » Wed Nov 14, 2018 10:11 pm

BlueSpark wrote:I hope you can forgive me for occasionally getting a little bit defensive when I hear anime dubs being bashed.

Nope, that's perfectly fine. I often find myself in a subtitle purist bubble being around my brother and others keeping up with the season, so it's hard to keep a pure dub perspective when all we get is snippets in a rant youtube video.
Image
Keep Connected to OtakuSpirit: YouTube, Facebook, iTunes, Twitter, MyAnimeList
Fate Grand Order: Tsubaki 554,837,694