Page 2 of 4

Re: 429) Best Anime of 2018 Deliberations Part 1

Posted: Thu Jan 03, 2019 7:32 pm
by Chris
Mys145 wrote:
I think there shouldn't be an episode limit for shows that have multiple seasons



That’s fine your welcome to your oppinion. When you make your podcast I’ll happily listen to your oppinion on every show in existance.

;-)

Mys145 wrote: I get that you don't want shows like Black Clover or want to focus on new IPs (I rather want you guys used this as an excuse)


Do you?

I’m being serious do you really get it? It seems like you do not realize just how much time we are investing or you refuse to acknoladge it. Black clover was not dropped due to the 50 episode rule. Andy dropped due to irritation at astra but planned on going back at some point. And I continued into nearly the second season only dropping because of time constraints. But no the 50 epic rule had no baring on it.

Mys145 wrote: but saying that shows with multiple seasons shouldn't count even though they qualify for the year because of past episode counts is wrong.


Again I disagree. I don’t believe there is anything to really discuss. I will not rehash the whole argument. But for clarification of everyone. This is just an fair cutoff point. That is literally 1 year worth of show. This is not a review point if we are still following the show we may still review it. It would be flat unfair to include established epics against new shows your talking top five of nearly any catigory would naturally include the epics if they have anything released that year.


Mys145 wrote:
You guys can easily judge the new season of a show as its separate thing without the past ones.


...

No. No I can’t...

Do you really want a half hearted review of your favorite epic? If I know nothing about one piece would it be fair to disregard it because I watched 12 episodes in season 15. I have no connection to any characters. I literally have no context to anything happening. Yes you expect me to watch season 15 and honestly judge if it’s a better drama then anything on the drama list?

You say I’m wrong and that implies a level of me being unfair. And I wholeheartedly disagree I am being fair making a simple cutoff. To me your being unfair on many different angles.

Re: 429) Best Anime of 2018 Deliberations Part 1

Posted: Thu Jan 03, 2019 8:45 pm
by fragoff
Beside, if counting all shows with multiple seasons, one piece and to love ru would win all the awards every single years!!!! Lol

Re: Best Anime of 2018 Deliberations Part 1

Posted: Fri Jan 04, 2019 2:32 am
by BlueSpark
As usual, I've only seen a fraction of the shows which aired this year, so I won't be able to contribute much to the conversation. But I'll throw in my 2 cents where I can.

I'm a bit baffled here. Unless I misunderstood, you're seriously arguing about whether to acknowledge Invisible Victory as a canon sequel season? I don't see how you could possibly regard it as anything else. The way I see it, a spin-off usually either focuses on different characters or creates a distinctly different scenario. I'll agree that you could say that about Fumoffu, what with its exclusive comedy focus and not touching on any of the existing story. On the flipside, IV clearly did.
Also, props to Mys for elaborating and pointing out the Roman numeral thing. I wouldn't have thought of that.

I swear, if one more person tells me I need to watch A Place Further than the Universe, I'm going to go freaking ballistic. I know, alright? Don't pile onto my agony even more :(. No broadcast dub for this gem* is truly a shame, so I'll have to wait for the disc release. At least considering how popular it is, there's a very reasonable chance it'll get properly localized.

*according to popular opinion

Re: Best Anime of 2018 Deliberations Part 1

Posted: Fri Jan 04, 2019 7:12 am
by Chris
BlueSpark wrote:As usual, I've only seen a fraction of the shows which aired this year, so I won't be able to contribute much to the conversation. But I'll throw in my 2 cents where I can.

I'm a bit baffled here. Unless I misunderstood, you're seriously arguing about whether to acknowledge Invisible Victory as a canon sequel season? I don't see how you could possibly regard it as anything else. The way I see it, a spin-off usually either focuses on different characters or creates a distinctly different scenario. I'll agree that you could say that about Fumoffu, what with its exclusive comedy focus and not touching on any of the existing story. On the flipside, IV clearly did.
Also, props to Mys for elaborating and pointing out the Roman numeral thing. I wouldn't have thought of that.

I swear, if one more person tells me I need to watch A Place Further than the Universe, I'm going to go freaking ballistic. I know, alright? Don't pile onto my agony even more :(. No broadcast dub for this gem is truly a shame, so I'll have to wait for the disc release. At least considering how popular it is, there's a very reasonable chance it'll get properly localized.


No we were not debating iv as a sequel we were debating if we should count Fumoffu as part of the episode count because that is a spinoff.

Re: 429) Best Anime of 2018 Deliberations Part 1

Posted: Fri Jan 04, 2019 7:30 am
by BlueSpark
OK, got it - thanks for clearing that up, Chris. Maybe I should fix my half-hearted listening to you guys while playing Hearthstone. Never mind my typing outburst, then ;).

Re: 429) Best Anime of 2018 Deliberations Part 1

Posted: Fri Jan 04, 2019 5:22 pm
by Mys145
Chris wrote:
Spoiler:
Mys145 wrote:
I think there shouldn't be an episode limit for shows that have multiple seasons



That’s fine your welcome to your oppinion. When you make your podcast I’ll happily listen to your oppinion on every show in existance.

;-)

Mys145 wrote: I get that you don't want shows like Black Clover or want to focus on new IPs (I rather want you guys used this as an excuse)


Do you?

I’m being serious do you really get it? It seems like you do not realize just how much time we are investing or you refuse to acknoladge it. Black clover was not dropped due to the 50 episode rule. Andy dropped due to irritation at astra but planned on going back at some point. And I continued into nearly the second season only dropping because of time constraints. But no the 50 epic rule had no baring on it.

Mys145 wrote: but saying that shows with multiple seasons shouldn't count even though they qualify for the year because of past episode counts is wrong.


Again I disagree. I don’t believe there is anything to really discuss. I will not rehash the whole argument. But for clarification of everyone. This is just an fair cutoff point. That is literally 1 year worth of show. This is not a review point if we are still following the show we may still review it. It would be flat unfair to include established epics against new shows your talking top five of nearly any catigory would naturally include the epics if they have anything released that year.


Mys145 wrote:
You guys can easily judge the new season of a show as its separate thing without the past ones.


...

No. No I can’t...

Do you really want a half hearted review of your favorite epic? If I know nothing about one piece would it be fair to disregard it because I watched 12 episodes in season 15. I have no connection to any characters. I literally have no context to anything happening. Yes you expect me to watch season 15 and honestly judge if it’s a better drama then anything on the drama list?

You say I’m wrong and that implies a level of me being unfair. And I wholeheartedly disagree I am being fair making a simple cutoff. To me your being unfair on many different angles.


You read way too much into my Black Clover example. I was never talking about continuous running shows like Black Clover or One Piece. I get why you guys don't cover those types of shows. I'm more referring to the shows that start/stop and start again with multiple seasons.

There are shows like JoJo where there are rankings for the different seasons because of how different they are. Or shows like Full Metal Panic that got a new season after not being on air for almost 13 years. It's one thing to say that you haven't ranked it because you haven't watched the previous seasons or don't like it but another when you say that it isn't being ranked because it went past 50 episodes.

So if March Comes in Like a Lion gets a third season, it will get ignored because of the past two seasons regardless if it's the best thing of the year is wrong to me. I don't buy the argument that the established shows will overshadow the new ones based on the past. It just means that the new shows didn't do a good job as the established show. Also the shows that get multiple seasons are the shounen shows not shows like March Comes in Like a Lion. Excellence should be always rewarded not get a mere mention because of longevity.

So I'm fine with you guys not doing continuous running shows but multiple season shows should still be considered if they started and/or ended in the year regardless of the past.

Re: 429) Best Anime of 2018 Deliberations Part 1

Posted: Fri Jan 04, 2019 6:27 pm
by Chris
Mys145 wrote:
Chris wrote:
Spoiler:
Mys145 wrote:
I think there shouldn't be an episode limit for shows that have multiple seasons



That’s fine your welcome to your oppinion. When you make your podcast I’ll happily listen to your oppinion on every show in existance.

;-)

Mys145 wrote: I get that you don't want shows like Black Clover or want to focus on new IPs (I rather want you guys used this as an excuse)


Do you?

I’m being serious do you really get it? It seems like you do not realize just how much time we are investing or you refuse to acknoladge it. Black clover was not dropped due to the 50 episode rule. Andy dropped due to irritation at astra but planned on going back at some point. And I continued into nearly the second season only dropping because of time constraints. But no the 50 epic rule had no baring on it.

Mys145 wrote: but saying that shows with multiple seasons shouldn't count even though they qualify for the year because of past episode counts is wrong.


Again I disagree. I don’t believe there is anything to really discuss. I will not rehash the whole argument. But for clarification of everyone. This is just an fair cutoff point. That is literally 1 year worth of show. This is not a review point if we are still following the show we may still review it. It would be flat unfair to include established epics against new shows your talking top five of nearly any catigory would naturally include the epics if they have anything released that year.


Mys145 wrote:
You guys can easily judge the new season of a show as its separate thing without the past ones.


...

No. No I can’t...

Do you really want a half hearted review of your favorite epic? If I know nothing about one piece would it be fair to disregard it because I watched 12 episodes in season 15. I have no connection to any characters. I literally have no context to anything happening. Yes you expect me to watch season 15 and honestly judge if it’s a better drama then anything on the drama list?

You say I’m wrong and that implies a level of me being unfair. And I wholeheartedly disagree I am being fair making a simple cutoff. To me your being unfair on many different angles.


You read way too much into my Black Clover example. I was never talking about continuous running shows like Black Clover or One Piece. I get why you guys don't cover those types of shows. I'm more referring to the shows that start/stop and start again with multiple seasons.

There are shows like JoJo where there are rankings for the different seasons because of how different they are. Or shows like Full Metal Panic that got a new season after not being on air for almost 13 years. It's one thing to say that you haven't ranked it because you haven't watched the previous seasons or don't like it but another when you say that it isn't being ranked because it went past 50 episodes.

So if March Comes in Like a Lion gets a third season, it will get ignored because of the past two seasons regardless if it's the best thing of the year is wrong to me. I don't buy the argument that the established shows will overshadow the new ones based on the past. It just means that the new shows didn't do a good job as the established show. Also the shows that get multiple seasons are the shounen shows not shows like March Comes in Like a Lion. Excellence should be always rewarded not get a mere mention because of longevity.

So I'm fine with you guys not doing continuous running shows but multiple season shows should still be considered if they started and/or ended in the year regardless of the past.


Still have the issue of what is fair? You tell me 50 is an arbitrary number. My oppinion is 2 cour. Andy argued me to 50 and you want to go to what 2 years? 100 episodes? What is your arbitrary line that you believe a show should be considered an epic. The point is “it does not matter” arguing about it every year is pointless. We gave everyone a chance to speak they’re piece. Your not bringing anything new to the table. There is still the same issue. If the number was 500 someone would be mad that we didn’t cover season 11. (10 years 50 episodes a year).

Longer running shows have more money ie established. This is not a matter of picking a favorite because of length. If the fandom is there they will have a better budget. But yeah March comes in like a lion is likely hitting epic status. Doesn’t mean we won’t cover it so not sure what your pointing out. Will it be on the top 5 list. No. It’s fair. I can’t give it a special spot because I like it. I like fairy tail and in the last two times it’s been out I have not given it a position. And fairy tail zero is a spin-off / prequel. Fair is fair mys.

Consider what your fighting and what your fighting for. It’s a show where me and my brother watch a couple shows and tell you what we think. You point out what you think in the forums. Arguing about “our” 50 episode rule does nothing. Make yourself a list and tell everyone why your list is perfect or even better make a better podcast. On your podcast if you want March comes in like a lion to be in every genre even though it’s 1000 eps long then more power to you. And no one can stop you. It will be your rules.

Ok I will try not to speak on this any further. I appreciate the comments mys.

Re: 429) Best Anime of 2018 Deliberations Part 1

Posted: Sat Jan 05, 2019 5:27 am
by Eira
Mys, at some point you gotta take the L. I haven’t even listened the podcast yet, just read the posts and I can tell you’re in the wrong. It’s so easy to just not be a prick about it. You’re just causing argument for the sake of argument, neither of you will change your mind on this and you should of just accepted what they decided and said rather then complain about it!

It’s their podcast they can’t do what they want and any rule or number is ‘random’ and someone would always push for more, it’s a slippery slope. Say ‘just one more’ enough and you get 10,000 eventually.

It’s unrealistic to assume they would be able to watch everything and even if they want to be ‘inconsistent’ with their rules then that’s fine, cause it’s their podcast and they can’t do what they want. You’re not entitled to dictating what they do and how they do it just because you listen.

I’m sure Chris doesn’t want me telling you that your opnion on this doesn’t matter but I think that’s the fact of the matter. It’s their podcast, not yours and I struggle to believe that you would be able to produce a consistent podcast for as long as they have and still go ‘yer, I’ll watch every single episode of every single show and talk about all of them’

You’re delusional

Re: 429) Best Anime of 2018 Deliberations Part 1

Posted: Sat Jan 05, 2019 7:23 am
by Mys145
Eira wrote:
Spoiler:
Mys, at some point you gotta take the L. I haven’t even listened the podcast yet, just read the posts and I can tell you’re in the wrong. It’s so easy to just not be a prick about it. You’re just causing argument for the sake of argument, neither of you will change your mind on this and you should of just accepted what they decided and said rather then complain about it!

It’s their podcast they can’t do what they want and any rule or number is ‘random’ and someone would always push for more, it’s a slippery slope. Say ‘just one more’ enough and you get 10,000 eventually.

It’s unrealistic to assume they would be able to watch everything and even if they want to be ‘inconsistent’ with their rules then that’s fine, cause it’s their podcast and they can’t do what they want. You’re not entitled to dictating what they do and how they do it just because you listen.

I’m sure Chris doesn’t want me telling you that your opnion on this doesn’t matter but I think that’s the fact of the matter. It’s their podcast, not yours and I struggle to believe that you would be able to produce a consistent podcast for as long as they have and still go ‘yer, I’ll watch every single episode of every single show and talk about all of them’

You’re delusional


I never said that they have to watch every show. I feel like you guys are assuming things that I never said at all. It wasn't about having to watch everything. It's about the shows that aired this year that they watched and decided that they aren't considering shows with episode counts above 50. If they watched it, there's no harm to have it for consideration. Pedigree gets you only so far and will continue to stand by it.

It's time to make you guys feel bad that I don't have the ability to do a podcast because I can't speak clearly in real life and there's no way people will listen to my voice for hours for a podcast. It's been that way since I was a child. It's also why I get annoyed when you guys missing my points and assuming things.

I'm not arguing for the sake of it. If I didn't care about this, I wouldn't said anything and continue on my day. I would have been fine if Chris understood what I was originally saying and said I see your point but still won't change it. Because I felt my point was misunderstood, I felt I needed to clarify it.

Sorry for seeming to be unreasonable, Chris but I wasn't trying to be just wanted to get my point correctly.

Re: 429) Best Anime of 2018 Deliberations Part 1

Posted: Sat Jan 05, 2019 9:07 am
by Eira
Mys145 wrote:I never said that they have to watch every show. I feel like you guys are assuming things that I never said at all. It wasn't about having to watch everything. It's about the shows that aired this year that they watched and decided that they aren't considering shows with episode counts above 50. If they watched it, there's no harm to have it for consideration.

It's time to make you guys feel bad that I don't have the ability to do a podcast because I can't speak clearly in real life and there's no way people will listen to my voice for hours for a podcast. It's been that way since I was a child. It's also why I get annoyed when you guys missing my points and assuming things.


“It’s time to make you guys feel bad” how about instead I make you feel silly, haha! Don’t try and play the guilt card, it’s shows that you think some small issue you have means people should treat you better. But I have autisim, so first of all there’s that, your speaking problem has nothing on me. Secondly do you want me to hadincap you? If you want to be treated as a disabled person so much I can handicap you and just pretend like I think what you’re saying is okay and not point out any issues with what you’re saying? Is that what you want? Also my autisim means I lack empathy for others, it sometimes makes me a horrible person but I also means I don’t care if you’re upset that you’re misunderstood.

Also it doesn’t matter if it’s a podcast or a written blog. You’re not going to do something weekly for years on end and then still watch every episode every show and write/ talk / anything about ALL of them in great detail.

Mys145 wrote:I'm not arguing for the sake of it. If I didn't care about this, I wouldn't said anything and continue on my day. I would have been fine if Chris understood what I was originally saying and said I see your point but still won't change it. Because I felt my point was misunderstood, I felt I needed to clarify it.


Guess what, that’s not how real life works. If someone misunderstood your point you should still let it slide. Cause you can tell what he’s going to say and you can see that he’s explained why he’s going about the podcast a certain way. It’s clear you’re just trying to push your point further cause you think if you reword it or if you say it a bit different that he’ll change his mind.

Here the thing, you haven’t been misunderstood. We get what you’re trying to say, but it doesn’t change anything. Like I said, you’re delusional becuase you think your points are valid and that we must be understanding if we don’t agree with you. But we just actually don’t agree with you! Get over yourself and see that no matter what you say, Chris doesn’t want to do what you’re suggesting and he should have to and you need to drop this.

We understand and we disagree.

Mys145 wrote:Sorry for seeming to be unreasonable Chris, I wasn't trying to be just wanted to get my point correctly.


It was gotten correctly the first time, he just never agreeed to it and that made you mad so you kept pushing assuming that if someone doesn’t agree with you then it’s their fault and they just don’t understand.

Get over yourself!

And get back to me on that handicap, I can treat you like a disabled person, since you seem to want it so bad.