433) Fall 2018 Anime Season Review Part 1

Talk about the Podcast!
Andrew
Site Admin

433) Fall 2018 Anime Season Review Part 1

Postby Andrew » Sun Jan 06, 2019 11:04 am

With the conclusion of the Fall 2018 Anime Season, the hosts of the Otaku Spirit Animecast are firing up the mics to give their take on what made waves, or what ended up dried up in the end.

Anime Reviewed in this Episode: SSSS GRIDMAN, The Girl In Twilight, Rascal Does Not Dream Of Bunny Girl Senpai, Iroduku The World In Colors, Bloom Into You, Banana Fish, and Today’s Menu for the Emiya Family.

Following the spoiler free reviews of each of the shows and the outro music, we enjoy a spoiler filled discussion of the following:

SSSS GRIDMAN 1:22:21 – 1:36:05
Rascal Does Not Dream of Bunny Girl Senpai 1:36:05 – 1:42:47
Iroduku The World In Colors 1:42:52 – 1:48:51
Banana Fish 1:48:57 – 1:54:07

The opening song for this episode is the OP for Rascal Does Not Dream of Bunny Girl Senpai called “Kimi no Sei” by the peggies. The closing song for this episode is the ED2 for Banana Fish called “RED” by Survive Said The Prophet. The song following the spoiler discussion is the ED for Rascal Does Not Dream of Bunny Girl Senpai called “Fukashigi no Carte” by Tomoe Koga (Nao Touyama).

We hope you all enjoy!
http://otakuspirit.com/2019/01/animecas ... ew-part-1/
Keep Connected to OtakuSpirit: YouTube, Facebook, iTunes, Twitter, MyAnimeList
Fate Grand Order: Tsubaki 554,837,694

ATM-senpai
I Love Anime

Re: 433) Fall 2018 Anime Season Review Part 1

Postby ATM-senpai » Mon Jan 07, 2019 5:26 am

Bunny Girl Senpai

Been busy so haven't been able to watch a lot of anime this year, but I did fall in love with this show. I honestly think it's one of my favorites all time.

Spoiler:
Chris, I don't mean to put words in your mouth, but I think you meant apathetic instead of cynical. Cynical is more distrustful of others (ie Hachiman f/ SNAFU) while Sakuta just seemed more aloof to his surroundings stemming from his social standing within the school. I never really saw him that cynical in the various situations. I guess he did come off a little annoyed at times, but I think that is pretty understandable given all these strange occurrences kept happening to him. He's only human right. If he didn't care, he wouldn't have been so patient with the girls. I guess you were too focused on all the cute girls though. ::nosebleed:: j/k ;) .

Sidenote - I really loved the fact that Sakuta wasn't the white knight who had to solve all the girls problems (except for Mai), but allowed them to come to the solutions themselves. All he had to do is be there for them. So wonderful.

So I agree with Andrew in that Sakuta definitely cared for each one of the girls in his own way. It just wasn't to the level of Mai, which to me, is a wonderfully refreshing take on this harem(ish) show.

Spoiler Talk

Definitely an interesting take on Sakuta being the catalyst for Kaede, but if I'm being honest, I really hope that is not the case. I honestly think your reading too much into the supernatural element of the show.

My take is simply that Kamoshida-sensei is using the adolescent syndrome as the visual representation of Japan's high societal pressure on it's people which is twice as much for high schoolers dealing with societal pressures as well as social pressures. So each of the girls deals with an aspect of those pressures: Mai = public, Tomoe = social, Futuba = self, Nodoka = family.

Which brings us to Kaede. She is also social, but with a focus of bullying. While obvious, it's a big topic in the world so I can't blame Kamoshida-sensei for going with it. But as for Sakuta being a catalyst, I don't see why his pain of seeing his sister being bullied manifest in Kaede being harmed. It could be an unintentional consequence, but as they stated with the “body swap” of Mai and Nodoka, that wouldn't have happened if Mai didn't have some type of unresolved issues with Nodoka as well. I really think Sakuta was just around for Kaede's adolescent syndrome. If anything Kaede's responsible for Sakuta's episode. :D I just think it wouldn't fit the down to earth characters to have the main character be so important to this story as being able to manifest syndromes in others. I really like that Sakuta is just the vehicle in which we view the stories. It is a little convenient that all these syndromes happen to one individual, but all stories are convenient, and I think the convenient idea is the most compatible one.

As for Shoko, It definitely involves Sakuta's subconscious, but I wonder to what extent? I think Young Shoko is significant because everybody acknowledges her, so I question if Shoko is entirely Sakuta's subconscious. I can't wait for the movie to find out.

It's just my view point and I most certainly could be way off base, but regardless, I really did LOVE this show.

Keep up the good work guys!

BlueSpark
I Bleed Anime

Postby BlueSpark » Mon Jan 07, 2019 7:13 am

Seriously, the main characters in Gridman are called Yuta and Rikka :-o? Dammit, they're trying to bait me with names! The show sounds way too action-heavy for my taste, though.

Bunny Girl Senpai not being dubbed (yet) is a bit of a shame. I've heard enough good things about this one to keep my eye on it. You're also making World in Colors sounds like I'd enjoy it. But alas, I'll have to wait and pray to the dubbing gods ("Dear Funimation / Bang Zoom / whoever you are...").

Bloom into You is being simuldubbed, though, and I plan to check it out soon-ish. Citrus was decent in my opinion, and all the fan feedback thus far promises that Bloom into You fares much better. I'm ready to be amazed.
Know a decent number of anime characters? Check out my forum game!

ararararagi
I Like Anime

Postby ararararagi » Mon Jan 07, 2019 3:52 pm

With regard to the SSSS.Gridman ending:

Spoiler:
I liked the theory that the girl in the live action segment was actually Rikka and not Akane. It's definitely interesting and would put the series in a different light. But unless I'm mistaken, that's Reina Ueda--Akane's seiyuu--in that segment.

Mys145
I Bleed Anime

Postby Mys145 » Wed Jan 09, 2019 11:57 am

SSSS.Gridman

Spoiler:
I have to wonder what you guys thought about when Gridman finally came complete and had a different animation style to him which was akin to his live-action roots. It really shows that Trigger had a huge love for Gridman and really thought that using CG for the incomplete Gridman meant something besides aesthetic choice. I know this is a personal nit-pick but when Andrew referred to the action scenes being cater to Gridman fans, I would have not said Gridman fans but Ultraman fans since there's way less Gridman fans than Ultraman fans (at least in the US anyway). Also it's easy for people to connect with Ultraman than with Gridman.

I don't really buy the Akane is Rikka theory. The physical resemble from the live-action version to the anime one means nothing. Akane is god in that world. She changed her appearance to be what she wanted to be which goes into my main point why Akane can't be Rikka.

If Rikka is supposed to be Akane's real self, why create her in the first place? If Akane was trying to change herself and control everything, why create someone who is the self you want to reject so badly and also have that self loved you at the same time. To me, that's the last thing I would do if I had the abilities that Akane had in that world. Also Rikka in that world had friends in it while Akane made everyone like her which would imply that Akane in the real world didn't really had any friends.

I think Yuta, Rikka, and Sho are the three aspects of Akane that she wanted the most. Sho is the person who she can have a conversation about kaiju. Rikka is the best friend she wanted and needed. Yuta is probably the love interest she had in the real world. Without Gridman appearing, all three of them would continue to be Akane's supporters but Gridman made them have free will in a way.

Mia and Chole had their character arcs in The Girl In Twilight along with Nana.
Spoiler:
Mia wanted to be a hero but she was forced to be the princess since she was a girl and being a hero is a man thing. Chloe had issues that she feared that having friends will make her unable being alone when she wants. Both of them resolved their issues while Yu and Asaka didn't have the character growth as the others. Also I wanted backstory on sexy Yu.

Iroduku The World In Colors

Spoiler:
Main complaint is that we don't know what happened with everyone else. Why there was nothing about what the rest of the club after high school except for Kohaku? It would have been neat if Hitomi met up with them in the future but nope didn't happen.

I'm curious if you guys' opinion if Banana Fish kept its original time period which was the 80s instead modernizing it. Would things change for you or still have the same thoughts as before?

Spoiler:
I think about all the characters in the show are bad people regardless of their situation that they came from. Even though Dino treated Ash as his own son, he still was thinking about himself and his criminal empire. He might have cared about Ash but he definitely did things based on his own self-interest.

Chris
Site Co-Founder

Postby Chris » Thu Jan 10, 2019 7:11 am

Mys145 wrote:SSSS.Gridman

Spoiler:
I have to wonder what you guys thought about when Gridman finally came complete and had a different animation style to him which was akin to his live-action roots. It really shows that Trigger had a huge love for Gridman and really thought that using CG for the incomplete Gridman meant something besides aesthetic choice. I know this is a personal nit-pick but when Andrew referred to the action scenes being cater to Gridman fans, I would have not said Gridman fans but Ultraman fans since there's way less Gridman fans than Ultraman fans (at least in the US anyway). Also it's easy for people to connect with Ultraman than with Gridman.

I don't really buy the Akane is Rikka theory. The physical resemble from the live-action version to the anime one means nothing. Akane is god in that world. She changed her appearance to be what she wanted to be which goes into my main point why Akane can't be Rikka.

If Rikka is supposed to be Akane's real self, why create her in the first place? If Akane was trying to change herself and control everything, why create someone who is the self you want to reject so badly and also have that self loved you at the same time. To me, that's the last thing I would do if I had the abilities that Akane had in that world. Also Rikka in that world had friends in it while Akane made everyone like her which would imply that Akane in the real world didn't really had any friends.

I think Yuta, Rikka, and Sho are the three aspects of Akane that she wanted the most. Sho is the person who she can have a conversation about kaiju. Rikka is the best friend she wanted and needed. Yuta is probably the love interest she had in the real world. Without Gridman appearing, all three of them would continue to be Akane's supporters but Gridman made them have free will in a way.

Mia and Chole had their character arcs in The Girl In Twilight along with Nana.
Spoiler:
Mia wanted to be a hero but she was forced to be the princess since she was a girl and being a hero is a man thing. Chloe had issues that she feared that having friends will make her unable being alone when she wants. Both of them resolved their issues while Yu and Asaka didn't have the character growth as the others. Also I wanted backstory on sexy Yu.

Iroduku The World In Colors

Spoiler:
Main complaint is that we don't know what happened with everyone else. Why there was nothing about what the rest of the club after high school except for Kohaku? It would have been neat if Hitomi met up with them in the future but nope didn't happen.

I'm curious if you guys' opinion if Banana Fish kept its original time period which was the 80s instead modernizing it. Would things change for you or still have the same thoughts as before?

Spoiler:
I think about all the characters in the show are bad people regardless of their situation that they came from. Even though Dino treated Ash as his own son, he still was thinking about himself and his criminal empire. He might have cared about Ash but he definitely did things based on his own self-interest.

Banana fish

No the update to me didn’t change anything perse. That sucks that we forgot to mention it because it was horribly executed. We did discuss it off cast when we noticed it which was quite early in the show. We found it jarring and actually humorous.

Andrew
Site Admin

Postby Andrew » Sun Jan 13, 2019 10:04 am

I definitely suggest people check out Nearly On Red's take on the ending. He tells the SSSS Gridman ending theory a lot better than me. He also ties something pretty cool about the ED as well.
phpBB [video]

Again... full spoilers here.

BlueSpark wrote:Seriously, the main characters in Gridman are called Yuta and Rikka :-o? Dammit, they're trying to bait me with names! The show sounds way too action-heavy for my taste, though.

Bunny Girl Senpai not being dubbed (yet) is a bit of a shame. I've heard enough good things about this one to keep my eye on it. You're also making World in Colors sounds like I'd enjoy it. But alas, I'll have to wait and pray to the dubbing gods ("Dear Funimation / Bang Zoom / whoever you are...").

Bloom into You is being simuldubbed, though, and I plan to check it out soon-ish. Citrus was decent in my opinion, and all the fan feedback thus far promises that Bloom into You fares much better. I'm ready to be amazed.

Gridman isn't that action heavy. I'd probably guess around 5 minutes as episode to it. Though it gets a bit more in the last episode.

I really hope Bunny Girl Senpai gets a dub. Would love it to get more accessibility.

Bloom into You and Critrus are just not even close to being the same in my opinion. Just the way the romance is told is different. I guess it's a difference of angsty teens and fight the system (Citrus), or learning what love is and struggles of accepting someone (Bloom Into You). Bloom into You is definitely more soft while Citrus is more loud.

ATM-senpai wrote:It's just my view point and I most certainly could be way off base, but regardless, I really did LOVE this show.

Keep up the good work guys!

Thanks ATM. It's fun to theorize, which is what was great about these shows in this episode of the cast. Happy to hear you enjoyed Bunnygirl as well, just hope Crunchyroll gets the movie!

Mys145 wrote:SSSS.Gridman

Spoiler:

Gridman Spoilers:
Spoiler:
.. why wouldn't her LA version matter? That doesn't make sense.

There's a million reasons why she would create her old self in that world. To remember what she was, to love what she created, to prove her new self was better to Yuuta, etc. I never said she rejected her old self. She NEVER rejected her old self. She wanted her old self to love her new self and even went so far as to always be with her old self.

It may not be something you'd do, but it was what the writer wanted to do and it was all designed to tell the story he told. About self worth, how oneself changes and corrupts with power, and how that old self's hatred of new self made her take a step back and realize where she went wrong.

As for the friend part, I don't know what you're implying there unfortunately.

I'm fine with other theories, but it only falls apart in the idea that she only really spent time with them at once small dream. Rikka was the only one she wanted love from for quite a majority of it. Which is why I place it that she didn't like they her old self hated her new self.

Mys145 wrote:I'm curious if you guys' opinion if Banana Fish kept its original time period which was the 80s instead modernizing it. Would things change for you or still have the same thoughts as before?

About all that came from that was me making cracks at it in the first impressions. About the only element that it causes that shouldn't be there is utilizing computer advancements (smartphones) sometimes, but not others.
Keep Connected to OtakuSpirit: YouTube, Facebook, iTunes, Twitter, MyAnimeList
Fate Grand Order: Tsubaki 554,837,694