443) Doga Kobo's Kitsune Saves Anime

Talk about the Podcast!
Andrew
Site Admin

443) Doga Kobo's Kitsune Saves Anime

Postby Andrew » Sun Mar 10, 2019 9:29 am

Join the hosts of the Otaku Spirit Animecast as they dive into the recent news surrounding our beloved world of anime! Kitsune, Dragon Ball Z, Aoi Yuuki, and more!

Topics this episode: Chihayafuru, Strike Witches 501, Fire Force, Asteroid of Love, Souichirou Yamamoto, Shield Hero, Edge of Tomorrow, Funimation Subs, My Youth Romanic Comedy, Ultraman Anime, Cop Craft, Tsugumomo, Demon Slayers Kimetsu no Yaiba, Ascendance of a Bookworm, Psycho-Pass, Doga Kobo Kitsune Anime, Isekai Quartet, Grisaia PV, The Girl from the Other Side, Granblue Fantasy, and much more!

The opening for this episode is the OP for Skilled Teaser Takagi-san called “Iwanai kedo ne.” by Yuiko Oohara. The closing for this episode is the OP for The Rising of the Shield Hero called “RISE” by MADKID which is available on iTunes.

We hope you all enjoy!
http://otakuspirit.com/2019/03/animecas ... ves-anime/
Keep Connected to OtakuSpirit: YouTube, Facebook, iTunes, Twitter, MyAnimeList
Fate Grand Order: Tsubaki 554,837,694

BlueSpark
I Bleed Anime

Re: 443) Doga Kobo's Kitsune Saves Anime

Postby BlueSpark » Mon Mar 11, 2019 4:19 am

Looks like my entry into Chihayafuru is drifting further into the distance. Like Andrew, I'm not too keen on jumping into it knowing that we'll get a sequel in a couple of months. So I'll wait.

Since I don't do streaming, I'm not sure how exactly the download-episodes-onto-smartphone process works. Are there any restrictions? Or can you DL anything you want as long as there's free space on your phone / SD card? I think it's a shame they only allow downloads on mobile devices.
One can dream: If their service allowed permanent downloading of their shows into my laptop, that'd finally be a subscription model I could get behind. But even then, I'd be out of luck since Funimation doesn't operate in Europe :P.

I read about the new season announcement of Psycho-Pass. Very happy about it. Of course, there was someone on the Reddit thread immediately going into how season 2 was utter crap and this wasn't going to be any better unless Urobuchi was involved. But since I loved both seasons of Psycho-Pass equally, this should be a real treat for me.

I wonder how long Grisaia: Phantom Trigger will take to make it over to the west in localized format. If it takes another year or so, I might actually be crazy enough to read through Fruit, perhaps even Labyrinth and Eden again before watching Phantom Trigger (which could help me spot any sneaky references they may plant in there).
Know a decent number of anime characters? Check out my forum game!

fragoff
I Bleed Anime

Postby fragoff » Mon Mar 11, 2019 7:57 am

BlueSpark wrote: But even then, I'd be out of luck since Funimation doesn't operate in Europe :P.

Is it like a internet access issue? Did you try with a vpn?

BlueSpark wrote:
I read about the new season announcement of Psycho-Pass. Very happy about it. Of course, there was someone on the Reddit thread immediately going into how season 2 was utter crap and this wasn't going to be any better unless Urobuchi was involved. But since I loved both seasons of Psycho-Pass equally, this should be a real treat for me.

I guess it takes weird ones in life. Tastes are tastes after all. Imagine! There are even people likeing dubs over subs in this world!

But i must admit that the terrible season 2 didn't damper my interest in season 3. I am eager to see it!
"Tolerance is the lube that helps slip the didlo of dysfunction into the neko of a civilized society" -Plato

BlueSpark
I Bleed Anime

Postby BlueSpark » Mon Mar 11, 2019 8:14 am

fragoff wrote:Is it like a internet access issue? Did you try with a vpn?
Yes, it is an access issue (region restriction). And nope, I haven't tried. I've dabbled in VPNs a handful of times in the past, but since I'm not interested in their subscription service as it is now, anyway, there's no reason for me to bother.
The only times the restricted access irks me is if I see a Funimation news announcement or forum thread linked somewhere, click the link, and end up on an error page.

fragoff wrote:I guess it takes weird ones in life. Tastes are tastes after all.
Not saying it accounts for much, but judging from the amount of positive replies and upvotes, there are at least some other folk who apparently share my peculiar taste ;).

Mys145
I Bleed Anime

Postby Mys145 » Mon Mar 11, 2019 8:00 pm

Fire Force is from the same guy who did Soul Eater. It wouldn't surprised me if Fire Force will be a long series and also the main character will be voice by the same guy who does Asta in Black Clover. I did read a good portion of Fire Force and thought it was entertaining.

There is enough stuff in Psycho Pass to do a season 3. I guess the three new movies were popular enough to warrant the new season.

There was a second OVA episode of Granblue Fantasy with the female main character which involves a Halloween party of all things.

Eira
Anime Junky

Postby Eira » Mon Mar 11, 2019 9:32 pm

BlueSpark wrote:Since I don't do streaming, I'm not sure how exactly the download-episodes-onto-smartphone process works. Are there any restrictions? Or can you DL anything you want as long as there's free space on your phone / SD card? I think it's a shame they only allow downloads on mobile devices.

The videos are downloaded within the app itself to a section of the app called ‘downloads’ this is to prevent you from creating a work around that lets you keep it forever. Also you should be free to download everything that’s on the site, since you can’t keep it forever anyway.

The app itself is also then able to keep track of how long you’ve had it and can remove it after a certain amount of time has passed, even if you keep your device offline the entire time. Usually it’s either 30 day, 7 days or until your subscription runs out, I don’t know for Funi specifically but this is how most download subscription services do it, sometimes it also depends what level of plan you’re on.

And yes it dose use space on your phone, but it’s store within the app so basically the size of the app just gets bigger while you have them downloaded. Also most of the time after you’ve watched the episode the time will shorter down to around 24 hours, Netflix and iTunes do that, so it’s a certain amount of time to watch it but once it’s watched the time is shortend.

Obviously I don’t know for sure how funi dose it if that’s what we’re talking about, but this is how other similar services have been doing it for years and it seems to be working out well for them.
Everything I say is in relation to me, objectivity doesn't exist.

MAL: https://myanimelist.net/profile/Eira_99
Feel free to add me on Discord for more chat form discussions: One True Eira#1560

BlueSpark
I Bleed Anime

Postby BlueSpark » Tue Mar 12, 2019 2:20 am

Thanks for the elaboration, Eira. I figured it wouldn't be permanent downloads... Guess that would contradict their business model (else you could just DL everything, then unsubscribe).

fragoff
I Bleed Anime

Postby fragoff » Tue Mar 12, 2019 2:29 am

BlueSpark wrote:Thanks for the elaboration, Eira. I figured it wouldn't be permanent downloads... Guess that would contradict their business model (else you could just DL everything, then unsubscribe).

I personaly think that if you pay for a streaming service, you are entitle to have a copy of titles you like on physical support. Thus, i suscribe to 3 different providers, but do download from magnets the titles i wish to listen to when i am out.
As long as i do not give, trade or sell the files, i have no problem with this and do not consider myself as someone stealing material.
And i still pay, thus supporting the industry.

Maybe this point of view can be relevant for you.
"Tolerance is the lube that helps slip the didlo of dysfunction into the neko of a civilized society" -Plato

BlueSpark
I Bleed Anime

Postby BlueSpark » Tue Mar 12, 2019 3:06 am

fragoff wrote: As long as i do not give, trade or sell the files, i have no problem with this and do not consider myself as someone stealing material.
I'm with you there. Sounds like a sensible stance on the matter to me.
In my case, however, I'm not even sure if I could subscribe to Funimation as a European, even if I wanted to just give them my money.

Fullmetal-Senpai
Otaku

Postby Fullmetal-Senpai » Tue Mar 12, 2019 4:15 am

fragoff wrote: As long as i do not give, trade or sell the files, i have no problem with this and do not consider myself as someone stealing material.

Maybe this point of view can be relevant for you.

All this thought process supports is Funimation/Crunchyroll/hidive/Netflix ECT. Subscription services pay for a license to stream a show, and usually kick back royalties on a per view basis.