463) E3 2019 Thoughts

Talk about the Podcast!
Andrew
Site Admin

463) E3 2019 Thoughts

Postby Andrew » Sun Jun 23, 2019 9:29 am

They are late to the game (pun intended), but with a busy week, the Otaku Spirit Animecast hosts fill in the weekly gap with their thoughts on the E3 madness now that the dust has settled.

Discussions This Episode: EA Conference, Microsoft Conference, Phil Spencer Interview, Bethesda Conference, PC Game Show Conference, Ubisoft Conference, Square Enix Conference, Nintendo Direct, Nintendo Tree House, Who Won, and much more!

The opening for this episode is the OP for Recovery of an MMO Junkie called “Saturday Night Question” by Megumi Nakajima. The closing for this episode is the ED for Recovery of an MMO Junkie called “Hikari, Hikari” by Yuuka Aisaka.

We hope you all enjoy!
http://otakuspirit.com/2019/06/animecas ... -thoughts/
Keep Connected to OtakuSpirit: YouTube, Facebook, iTunes, Twitter, MyAnimeList
Fate Grand Order: Tsubaki 554,837,694

JaredScott5
I Like Anime

Re: 463) E3 2019 Thoughts

Postby JaredScott5 » Mon Jun 24, 2019 6:43 pm

Well Square convinced me to play FFXIV again. I'm only on Heavensward lol

BlueSpark
Otaku

Postby BlueSpark » Wed Jun 26, 2019 5:03 am

The single game I'm most interested in is one that you dismissed in one short sentence :P. I'm super hyped for Borderlands 3. I hardly ever get hyped for upcoming video game releases, but this one's an exception which has had me checking out a plethora of videos on it (both official gameplay reveals and the footage of streamers who got to play it).
I've recently been playing Borderlands 2 and The Pre-Sequel again, too, and having a lot of fun (besides the games' sometimes unfair difficulty in single-player mode). Everything so far looks highly promising about BL3 (except for the stupid Epic Store release, but I guess I'll bite the bullet on that one and eventually double-dip once it's available on Steam). I can't wait for September to roll around.

I'm also still looking forward to seeing how the Final Fantasy VII remake turns out. That said, is it true that Square Enix were markedly ambiguous on whether we'll see the full game or only the 1st chapter next year? Also, apparently the release announcement only covers the PS4 version. So it looks like I might have to wait even longer for it to arrive on the PC.

Octopath Traveler is one more title I'm planning on giving a spin soon, now that there's a PC port. Hopefully it'll be discounted for Steam's summer sale - I hear there have been complaints about its 60-Euro price tag, and I agree that it seems a bit excessive for a game that's been out for a year now.
Know a decent number of anime characters? Check out my forum game!

Chris
Site Co-Founder

Postby Chris » Wed Jun 26, 2019 8:21 am

BlueSpark wrote:The single game I'm most interested in is one that you dismissed in one short sentence :P. I'm super hyped for Borderlands 3. I hardly ever get hyped for upcoming video game releases, but this one's an exception which has had me checking out a plethora of videos on it (both official gameplay reveals and the footage of streamers who got to play it).
I've recently been playing Borderlands 2 and The Pre-Sequel again, too, and having a lot of fun (besides the games' sometimes unfair difficulty in single-player mode). Everything so far looks highly promising about BL3 (except for the stupid Epic Store release, but I guess I'll bite the bullet on that one and eventually double-dip once it's available on Steam). I can't wait for September to roll around.

I'm also still looking forward to seeing how the Final Fantasy VII remake turns out. That said, is it true that Square Enix were markedly ambiguous on whether we'll see the full game or only the 1st chapter next year? Also, apparently the release announcement only covers the PS4 version. So it looks like I might have to wait even longer for it to arrive on the PC.

Octopath Traveler is one more title I'm planning on giving a spin soon, now that there's a PC port. Hopefully it'll be discounted for Steam's summer sale - I hear there have been complaints about its 60-Euro price tag, and I agree that it seems a bit excessive for a game that's been out for a year now.

Square has not been ambiguous on it as far as I am aware. Just people making more out of it then it is. They said they plan on making the game in to multiple parts. And yes the first game will be a full game. I don’t know if you have played the game but Midgard is huge. As me and Andy were mentioning if they incorporate side stuff and expound on things I see no reason why it would feel like they were shortchanging. But that’s all speculation. ( this coming from someone that is only warm to this particular game. It’s only middle tier on my ff favorite list. IMO it’s overhyped due it’s inclusion in a vast number of factors. I don’t discount its story it’s a great story and a solid game just overblown in my oppinion.)

I’m happy for your hype of bl3 it’s alaways been an intriguing game for me. RPG elements in a FPS is always something that makes me want to give it a solid try. But the FPS was to much for me and it defeated me pretty quick. And I never went back. Wish I could join you on its hype train. Have fun with it when it comes out.

BlueSpark
Otaku

Postby BlueSpark » Wed Jun 26, 2019 8:56 am

Chris wrote:They said they plan on making the game in to multiple parts. And yes the first game will be a full game.
Alright, thanks for clarifying. My stance on this is the same as it is on multi-part movies like the Evangelion rebuild: I won't touch it until all the parts have been released. So I guess that means a couple more years of waiting for me ;).

Chris wrote:RPG elements in a FPS is always something that makes me want to give it a solid try. But the FPS was to much for me and it defeated me pretty quick.
Yeah, out of all the games I've played in my life, Borderlands is easily the best mix of shooter and RPG in equal measure. If you don't enjoy the shooter aspect of it, I can imagine it'd turn you off pretty quickly.

I just hope that Borderlands 3 is more solo-friendly than the previous games. Specifically in terms of the amount of raw damage enemies can dish out on you, which was pretty crazy in Borderlands 2. What looks awesome is that in 3, allied NPCs will be able to revive you, so you don't have to 100% rely on scoring second winds to get back up.

Now, if Gearbox actually manage to implement crossplay before release - which they've said they're interested in -, that'd be amazing because I could join 3 of my buddies who are all more into console than PC gaming.
Know a decent number of anime characters? Check out my forum game!