500) Fall 2019 Anime Season Review Part 1

Talk about the Podcast!
User avatar
Andrew
Site Admin
Posts: 5123
Joined: Tue Jan 14, 2014 2:41 pm

500) Fall 2019 Anime Season Review Part 1

Postby Andrew » Sun Jan 12, 2020 8:06 am

Image
The hosts of the Otaku Spirit Animecast return with their Fall 2019 Anime Season Reviews. Kicking things off with half of their line-up, quite a few of the biggest hitters of the year. Listen and get their take!

Anime Reviewed in this Episode: Cautious Hero, Oresuki Are You The Only One Who Loves Me, High School Prodigies Have It Easy Even In Another World, Ascendance of a Bookworm, Fairy Gone Season 1 and 2, Dr Stone, Vinland Saga, and Didn’t I say To Make My Abilities Average In The Next Life.

The opening song for this episode is the OP1 for Vinland Saga called “MUKANJYO” by Survive Said The Prophet. The closing song for this episode is the OP for Didn’t I Say To Make My Abilities Average called “Smile Skill = Suki Skill!” by Akaki Chikai.

We hope you all enjoy!
http://otakuspirit.com/2020/01/animecas ... ew-part-1/
Image
Keep Connected to OtakuSpirit: YouTube, Facebook, iTunes, Twitter, MyAnimeList
Fate Grand Order: Tsubaki 554,837,694

User avatar
Eira
I Bleed Anime
Posts: 1138
Joined: Sun May 20, 2018 6:00 pm
Location: Australia

Re: 500) Fall 2019 Anime Season Review Part 1

Postby Eira » Mon Jan 13, 2020 6:11 am

Congrats on 500
Everything I say is in relation to me, objectivity doesn't exist.

MAL: https://myanimelist.net/profile/Eira_99
Feel free to add me on Discord for more chat form discussions: One True Eira#1560

Stash Brannigan
I Love Anime
Posts: 110
Joined: Mon Jan 11, 2016 9:14 am
Contact:

Re: 500) Fall 2019 Anime Season Review Part 1

Postby Stash Brannigan » Mon Jan 13, 2020 2:59 pm

Otaku spirit season review part 1

Seiya was not bordering on the edge of paranoid type guy, he was 100% paranoid guy lol.

ORESUKI - I don’t know if I’d say that the show was portraying Amatsuyu as mean, during the first arc, as you put it but selfish. The bench joke was soooo good. Honestly one of the best bits of the season in all. I got to I didnt feel like Andrews did about Amatsuyu inner dialog being off putting to his outside persona. I felt it was completely normal for him to have those inner monologue to himself in that kind of situation considering his motives. Your inner dialogue doesn’t always matchup with you personality. I felt he had a expectation for a situation that wasn’t being met and that ticked him off and he expressed it internally but played the game externally partly because he was driven to Algeria motives and partly because he actually is a good dude who wants to think about himself and be selfish but externally cannot bring himself to act toward it. I am a bit surprised that Andrew didn’t enjoy this show, I figured you would of loved its uniqueness in its approach to the harem genre. I found Amatsuyu to be very likable and relatable with his inner turmoil. He wasn’t a one note MC. Wasn’t a ditherer. Wasn’t a complete Clean-Clean-kun, IMO. He had flaws and qualities that we got to see played out in a 4th wall breaking way. The ending was disappointing. But I didn’t feel that mad about it. I don’t know why. I just felt okay with it, in that I look back at the show and it was honestly one of my favs of the last year.

Dr. Stone - I like how they basically had 3 acts. Each act had a goal but the process of reaching those goals required all these little minor achievements that had to be reached first. I enjoyed this one tremendously. All the science lol.

Vinland Saga - ooouuf. I’m sure you expect this for the most part but 100% disagree about Thorfinns learning is boring. Agreed he could be annoying in his stubbornness but IDC. He was a compelling character. His stubbornness made complete sense. Askeladd was a phenomenal character and the writing of the story to change our feelings toward him. So many compelling characters. I don’t think I had a bad time at all during this show. The way Andrew felt about Thorfinn I felt about Canute. But to defend his character turn I can see it making sense as fast as it seemed. He was obviously smart. We were shown his upbringing and the education he received. He did see all that darkness around him from his father and the rest of the Danes. So with what happened o can see how he finally snapped and turned to a stone cold politician lol. Not too unbelievable for me. I didn’t need to suspend disbelief for it I should say. I mean if we can handle the shenanigans that my boy Thorkell wasn’t pulling we can sure as heck believe Canutes character turn
Andrew, Chris. Why you calling my man Thorkell, Thor Kill? Spine tingling lol.

As always great episode. Can’t wait for your year and decade reviews. Sadly I missed my seasonal picks:(

User avatar
BlueSpark
Otaku
Posts: 1811
Joined: Thu Mar 02, 2017 11:23 am
Location: Germany

Re: 500) Fall 2019 Anime Season Review Part 1

Postby BlueSpark » Wed Jan 15, 2020 7:48 am

I've been quite interested in the concept of Cautious Hero ever since I first heard about it. I'll most likely check it out - and no, not for the reason Chris cited ;). It seems like a no-brainer for great comedy. You're right in that there's always the risk of a one-note joke becoming too old too fast, but I'm more than willing to give this one a chance.

Ascendance of a Bookworm is another given for me. You guys have been gushing about it, Sierra vouches for it, and some of the feedback I've seen on Reddit is very positive, too. Seems like a safe bet.

Now, ORESUKI sounds like my jam, alright, but there's no dub in sight so far. So the most I can do is hope for a localized physical release down the line.
Image
Know a decent number of anime characters? Check out my forum game!

User avatar
Sierraシエラ
I Love Anime
Posts: 221
Joined: Fri Nov 15, 2019 8:53 am

Re: 500) Fall 2019 Anime Season Review Part 1

Postby Sierraシエラ » Thu Jan 16, 2020 10:39 pm

I still need to give Dr. Stone and Vinland Saga a chance. They both sounded okay, but didn't pull me in enough when I read their description.

Thanks you both so much for coming back when you did! My drive is too long without you guys

User avatar
Andrew
Site Admin
Posts: 5123
Joined: Tue Jan 14, 2014 2:41 pm

Re: 500) Fall 2019 Anime Season Review Part 1

Postby Andrew » Sun Jan 19, 2020 8:27 am

Eira wrote:Congrats on 500

Thank you Eira!!

Stash Brannigan wrote:ORESUKI - I don’t know if I’d say that the show was portraying Amatsuyu as mean, during the first arc, as you put it but selfish. The bench joke was soooo good. Honestly one of the best bits of the season in all. I got to I didnt feel like Andrews did about Amatsuyu inner dialog being off putting to his outside persona. I felt it was completely normal for him to have those inner monologue to himself in that kind of situation considering his motives. Your inner dialogue doesn’t always matchup with you personality. I felt he had a expectation for a situation that wasn’t being met and that ticked him off and he expressed it internally but played the game externally partly because he was driven to Algeria motives and partly because he actually is a good dude who wants to think about himself and be selfish but externally cannot bring himself to act toward it. I am a bit surprised that Andrew didn’t enjoy this show, I figured you would of loved its uniqueness in its approach to the harem genre. I found Amatsuyu to be very likable and relatable with his inner turmoil. He wasn’t a one note MC. Wasn’t a ditherer. Wasn’t a complete Clean-Clean-kun, IMO. He had flaws and qualities that we got to see played out in a 4th wall breaking way. The ending was disappointing. But I didn’t feel that mad about it. I don’t know why. I just felt okay with it, in that I look back at the show and it was honestly one of my favs of the last year.

It's funny because how it was building up to the end, felt like a "and so this whole back and forth continues! The struggle to be MC!" but then it dropped the competition and the call for "watch the OVA!" that kind of messed it up.

It's funny because you're calling the same reasons why I struggled so much with the series. I DID enjoy how unique it was and it's different approaches to the harem genre, just felt it was too mean for me to personal like it. The constant nasty nature of the characters is what hurt it for me. I'm not sure why I got a different perspective of what they were portraying him than you did. They spent quite a long time at the beginning pointing out the desire to create a "ditherer MC" persona and how his inside was nasty and selfish. But I do agree that we all have inner thoughts that are nasty, but we don't act on them because we know it would either be wrong or ruin our persona we're creating.


Stash Brannigan wrote:The way Andrew felt about Thorfinn I felt about Canute. But to defend his character turn I can see it making sense as fast as it seemed. He was obviously smart. We were shown his upbringing and the education he received. He did see all that darkness around him from his father and the rest of the Danes. So with what happened o can see how he finally snapped and turned to a stone cold politician lol. Not too unbelievable for me. I didn’t need to suspend disbelief for it I should say. I mean if we can handle the shenanigans that my boy Thorkell wasn’t pulling we can sure as heck believe Canutes character turn

I actually didn't have as big of a problem of Canute's change as most did, but I did find it funny that there has apparently been a big fuss over it even in the manga side years ago.

I do agree though, Canute was just as boring of a character (because of how his personality was for so long), but at least he had a lineage and story building around him.

BlueSpark wrote:I've been quite interested in the concept of Cautious Hero ever since I first heard about it. I'll most likely check it out - and no, not for the reason Chris cited ;).

Yeah.. that was a bit random lol

BlueSpark wrote:Ascendance of a Bookworm is another given for me. You guys have been gushing about it, Sierra vouches for it, and some of the feedback I've seen on Reddit is very positive, too. Seems like a safe bet.

Hopefully you're not one to experience hype ruining things too much lol. Hope you enjoy it.

BlueSpark wrote:Now, ORESUKI sounds like my jam, alright, but there's no dub in sight so far. So the most I can do is hope for a localized physical release down the line.

Glad my perspective didn't paint it into a corner of unwatchable. Even when I express my dislike for aspects of things, I want more so for people to be able to gauge on what it's offering as to if they want to watch it.

Sierraシエラ wrote:I still need to give Dr. Stone and Vinland Saga a chance. They both sounded okay, but didn't pull me in enough when I read their description.

Thanks you both so much for coming back when you did! My drive is too long without you guys

Glad to be back! Sorry for the boring drives :P

Vinland and Stone are definitely unique titles that don't fit so much into a typical mold. Which is why they stand out so much. At the same time, I believe they are risks for production since they break away so much. Yes, Dr Stone is stylized like a shonen, and yes Vinland is a period piece war-like story, but they feel unique in what they are doing. Give each of them a few episodes and I think you'll get if it's your jam or not.
Image
Keep Connected to OtakuSpirit: YouTube, Facebook, iTunes, Twitter, MyAnimeList
Fate Grand Order: Tsubaki 554,837,694

User avatar
BlueSpark
Otaku
Posts: 1811
Joined: Thu Mar 02, 2017 11:23 am
Location: Germany

Re: 500) Fall 2019 Anime Season Review Part 1

Postby BlueSpark » Sun Jan 19, 2020 12:16 pm

Andrew wrote:Glad my perspective didn't paint it into a corner of unwatchable. Even when I express my dislike for aspects of things, I want more so for people to be able to gauge on what it's offering as to if they want to watch it.
No worries there. Experience has taught me not to dismiss any anime completely after hearing a couple of negative opinions on it. In the case of ORESUKI, I guess it's a it of a Scum's Wish-type situation? I know lots of people couldn't stand that show because most of the characters make pretty selfish decisions which are hurtful to others. To me, the series was a supreme hit. I don't always need to like a show's characters to empathize with them.
Image
Know a decent number of anime characters? Check out my forum game!