84) Fall 2014 Review Part 2

Talk about the Podcast!
Andrew
Site Admin

84) Fall 2014 Review Part 2

Postby Andrew » Sun Jan 11, 2015 11:56 pm

The Fall 2014 Reviews continue as the Animecast takes on five more shows to discuss. Join us as we talk about zombie girls, magic harems, assassin maids, twin-tail fetishes, and alien husbands!

Anime Reviewed in this Episode: The Fruit of Grisaia, Trinity Seven, Gonna be the Twin-Tail!, Rage of Bahamut: Genesis, and I Can’t Understand What My Husband Is Saying.

The intro for this episode is the OP for Trinity Seven called “Seven Doors” by ZAQ. The outro for this episode is the OP for The Fruit of Grisaia called “Wings of Paradise” by Maon Kurosaki.

We hope you all enjoy!
http://otakuspirit.com/2015/01/animecas ... ew-part-2/
Keep Connected to OtakuSpirit: YouTube, Facebook, iTunes, Twitter, MyAnimeList
Fate Grand Order: Tsubaki 554,837,694

Loli-Knight
Personal Knight of The Tsundere Queen

Re: 84) Fall 2014 Review Part 2

Postby Loli-Knight » Mon Jan 12, 2015 1:38 am

To start off, a few things on Grisaia's adaptation~~
The Bakemonogatari similarities you noticed during that was intentional as the Grisaia's character designer (both the anime and the VN) and several others are the same folk who work on the Monogatari series.

As someone who would literally stake both their good word and health on the original VNs quality, I'm at some difficult odds with the anime adaptation. It was criminally rushed, the anime-original changes literally destroyed some of the routes and character development, and some of the omitted information made a few character decisions require godlike luck. Besides a few quality dips I found the art to be delicious, adaptation-Yuuji is still entertaining as all get out, what little of the girls' problems they touched on was still interesting, the music was awesome, and a handful of scenes were really well done. So I guess it boils down to - the anime was alright, now go do yourself a favor and read the VN.

The good news is that the two sequels coming in a couple of months should be adapted better. The first sequel is 90% prequel about Yuuji's life before Mihama Academy, and 10% setup for the 3rd game, with the 3rd game just being a one-route finale. Both games together are only a third or so as long as the first game (25 hours or so, excluding extra content) so the anime adaptation in march shouldn't be rushed.
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Glad to know you guys were interested enough in Trinity Seven to check out the manga, it's definitely a fun/superior read. On the other hand it's a shame Twintails fell a bit short for you. I agree that the actual animation tanked frequently, and that the jokes were reused a bit much, but the sentai parody, powers coming from your fetish, and human character design were enough to keep me happy with it. Ridiculousness like this brought me into anime though, so I may be more forgiving on it than others.
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I Can’t Understand What My Husband Is Saying was oddly touching here and there. Color me surprised.
Rage of Bahumat? Awesome fun. Go watch. Rita best loli (zombie?) of the season.

Fair reviews as always you two, looking forward to the next cast!
Within The Holy Loli Empire's heart, atop the twintailed throne She sits.
Before you The Tsundere Queen towers, peon.
And you. Will. Kneel.

MadGunner
Senpai

Postby MadGunner » Mon Jan 12, 2015 4:02 pm

Soo will you guys be dropping the midseason review for the winter season? I know that you were talking about it and I'm curious if you have made up your mind? I think it sounds like a good idea, It gets a bit repetetiv hearing the same synopsis 4 times :P

Andrew
Site Admin

Postby Andrew » Mon Jan 12, 2015 4:40 pm

Yeah, for those exact reasons. We'll be doing a First Impressions at about the 3 episode marker, then a final review.

If we have anything that really needs to be discussed in-between, the discussionals give us freedom to do so.

Logan
Super NEET IV

Postby Logan » Tue Jan 13, 2015 1:12 am

I think the fact that you guys even talked about "I Can't Understand What My Husband is Saying" says volumes about the quality of that show because it's a short.

I absolutely loved it. The end of episode 13 actually brought tears to my eyes; it was such a beautiful moment in my opinion. :)

Andrew
Site Admin

Postby Andrew » Tue Jan 13, 2015 1:16 pm

loganlsr wrote:I think the fact that you guys even talked about "I Can't Understand What My Husband is Saying" says volumes about the quality of that show because it's a short.

I absolutely loved it. The end of episode 13 actually brought tears to my eyes; it was such a beautiful moment in my opinion. :)

I wouldn't look too far into that. We try to cover all shorts as they air. :) I really liked it when it got serious, it's just unfortunate that (besides the smoking part with the doctor), the jokes just didn't strike the funny bone for me.

Logan
Super NEET IV

Postby Logan » Tue Jan 13, 2015 8:55 pm

Andrew wrote:I wouldn't look too far into that. We try to cover all shorts as they air. :) I really liked it when it got serious, it's just unfortunate that (besides the smoking part with the doctor), the jokes just didn't strike the funny bone for me.

Fair enough :) For whatever reason the jokes struck my funny bone haha. I think it was definitely the best short of last year.

Chris
Site Co-Founder

Postby Chris » Tue Jan 13, 2015 9:38 pm

@logan did you happen to watch seki-kun

Logan
Super NEET IV

Postby Logan » Tue Jan 13, 2015 9:47 pm

I did but that show didn't resonate with me at all! :lol:

TheLastShadow96
I Love Anime

Postby TheLastShadow96 » Wed Jan 14, 2015 5:42 pm

I have to admit I did like the Fruit of Grisaia as well as Trinity Seven.
So I listened to the podcast earlier today and I wanted to explain why I liked them so much since both of you guys didn't really feel as enthusiastic as I did about these shows.
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
So first The fruit of Grisaia (VN Spoilers),
Spoiler:
I wasn't particularly interested in the show at first... I am not sure why but when I kept watching it I found myself enveloped in this world. Yuuji definitely felt like a character who took too many risks. I didn't understand why, so I went and did some research. We already knows he's a military dog. But how he got there is a sad story, after his sister "died" he didn't have much of a place at home so he enrolls in a military boot camp (this is my best description so don't judge me or quote me on this) he was tired of being weak, and even in the final episodes his sister calls him weak, not so much in a mean way just as a sort of endearment, like she'd protect him! Anyway he pushed himself to the limit in the camp and became one of the top enlistees. And this is where he meets his "Sensei" who raises him and takes care of him. The government then notices him at this point and asks to fill his teachers shoes that she left to take care of him and later unexpectedly dies. That why his ID code is so legendary and sacred. But he's seen so much action that he can read people and know what they'd do in a given situation. Like the final episode he had the girls break the urinal so he'd stand under the window slit, and he knew he'd do that because he would be anxious to "have fun" with the red head (forgot her name... sorry). Basically what I am trying to say is that he has trained so meticulously and seen so much action that he understands how certain people think to a tee. I thought he was a really good character, just in the anime doesn't develop him like he should've been. The games are really cool and dive deeper into the story which is why I know a little more about the backstory than what is present in the anime.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Alright now to my second.
Spoiler:
Trinity seven, I wouldn't personally call it a manga seller, and here's why. The manga is featured in a monthly magazine in Japan, so one chapter a MONTH is being released at a time... Which sucks!!! Anyway, in Japan it was so popular that they took all the chapters and collectively put them in a manga series. So in Japan 9 or 10 volumes have been published. And volume one is scheduled to be released in America in April of this year! I've already preordered it sadly... But I love this story, the manga doesn't cover the beginning (what happens in the anime) as detailed as the anime does. So the anime does a better job to a certain extent introducing the characters. And Arata keeps getting dumbed down after he becomes epic demon lord is because his power as a demon lord is supposed to destroy the world. They sort of describe what happens in the last episode of the season. However, if you're like me then it didn't make much sense... So let me try and explain it now. Basically there are parallel worlds. And each world has it's Demon Lord Candidate (I am going to call them the DLC to save time) and then its Trinity Seven. In some worlds the DLC kills its Trinity after meeting them. Others he gains their powers to destroy the world. In Arata's world he meets his trinity to make the world reborn. So if he stays like a Demon Lord he will start to destroy the world so it can be reborn. That's why he can't stay as a Demon Lord until he can control his power...
And if you're looking for a season 2 there has been talk about one! Hasn't been green lit yet though just because the manga hasn't had much more additional content... But you should defininately read the manga!
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Let me know if this helps or changes your opinions about these shows. If not that's fine, I just trying to help. Lol.
Last edited by TheLastShadow96 on Thu Jan 15, 2015 12:07 am, edited 1 time in total.
NaLu is my ship... If any of you have a problem with it let me tell you...
GET OVER IT!!!