88) Akame ga Kill, Mushishi II, Sword Art Online II

Talk about the Podcast!
Andrew
Site Admin

88) Akame ga Kill, Mushishi II, Sword Art Online II

Postby Andrew » Mon Jan 26, 2015 12:01 am

Fall 2014 seen the conclusion of several key series that we can’t ignore. Akame ga Kill, Mushishi The Second Passage, and Sword Art Online II. In this Animecast, we review these shows and give our in-depth analysis on why you should or shouldn’t watch them.

Due to Sword Art Online’s nature, we put it as our final show to review for those who are very sensitive to spoilers regarding the conclusion of Sword Art Online Season 1. Though there really isn’t much to spoil, characters’ fates could be seen as spoilers.

The intro for this episode is the OP for the Mother’s Rosario Arc of Sword Art Online II called “courage” by Haruka Tomatsu. The outro is the OP for Mushishi The Next Passage called “Shiver” by Lucy Rose which can be found on iTunes.

We hope you all enjoy!
http://otakuspirit.com/2015/01/animecas ... online-ii/
Keep Connected to OtakuSpirit: YouTube, Facebook, iTunes, Twitter, MyAnimeList
Fate Grand Order: Tsubaki 554,837,694

MadGunner
Senpai

Re: 88) Akame ga Kill, Mushishi II, Sword Art Online II

Postby MadGunner » Mon Jan 26, 2015 2:43 pm

You forgot one of the most important characters in Akame Ga Kill... Bulat man. What would Tatsumi be without him? He certainly would not have Incursio 8-)

Loli-Knight
Personal Knight of The Tsundere Queen

Postby Loli-Knight » Mon Jan 26, 2015 2:53 pm

I'm torn on Akame ga Kill. I liked the anime right up till the end, but the monstrously sweeping changes they made to the story pales in comparison to the manga. If you liked the anime at all, go check out the manga. It's leagues better.

As for that unspoken rule on only one person surviving a battle between imperial arms users, I don't think we were ever meant to take that literally. Considering that some imperial arms are mostly only good for escaping, it was inevitable that said rule wouldn't be upheld. I think it was just there to stress how crazy combat between imperial arms users can be, what with being super humans and all.
Within The Holy Loli Empire's heart, atop the twintailed throne She sits.
Before you The Tsundere Queen towers, peon.
And you. Will. Kneel.

Andrew
Site Admin

Postby Andrew » Mon Jan 26, 2015 4:02 pm

Loli-Knight wrote:As for that unspoken rule on only one person surviving a battle between imperial arms users, I don't think we were ever meant to take that literally. Considering that some imperial arms are mostly only good for escaping, it was inevitable that said rule wouldn't be upheld. I think it was just there to stress how crazy combat between imperial arms users can be, what with being super humans and all.

Well, unfortunately that's what ended up being the case for it. Just sad because it was one of the few elements of the show that I like.. or had some sort of consistency. But if the manga featured escape based imperial arms, that makes a bit more sense unless they could kill their opponent with other means while using it to escape (bomb).

Loli-Knight

Postby Loli-Knight » Mon Jan 26, 2015 4:16 pm

Andrew wrote:But if the manga featured escape based imperial arms, that makes a bit more sense

Yeah. In the manga, Shura(the minister's son who could teleport) made a big 'ol stink about how he'd never die in an imperial arms battle since his arms could just warp him to safety in an instant. Granted, that was in the arc that the anime cut, but still. There were more examples like that, but extra information of that type is what adaptations tend to cut.
And you. Will. Kneel.

Logan
Super NEET IV

Postby Logan » Mon Jan 26, 2015 6:35 pm

I really liked Akame Ga Kill :) I was actually able to connect with the characters even though most of them weren't around for very long.
Spoiler:
i was really sad when Chelsea died and I was livid when Mine died haha. I will say the thing that really made the show for me was the fact that Tatsumi died. I was shocked and it made me really appreciate what the show did :)

As for SAO, Mothers Rosario is my second favorite arc behind the Sword Art arc and for me I enjoyed Alfheim more than GGO because I'm one of those weirdos that enjoyed the Alfheim arc :P but I still didn't think GGO was bad :) Calbir doesn't exist as far as I'm aware ;)

Loli-Knight

Postby Loli-Knight » Mon Jan 26, 2015 7:02 pm

loganlsr wrote: Calbir doesn't exist as far as I'm aware ;)

I like SAO equally throughout the series. If I had to pick a best, it'd be Mother's Rosario, but I'm equally ok with each arc since they all tried to do their own thing. Except for the Calibur arc. As far as i'm concerned the show took a two week hiatus during that period.

It should be mentioned that details from the novel about why the Calibur quest was so important were left out. The irregular quest they went out on actually had the ability to affect the game world itself. If they didn't complete it in time Thyrm would be able to actually act independently from the game's programming and attack the fairy world above. Nobody would die in real life, but Alfheim would be destroyed.
And you. Will. Kneel.

Andrew
Site Admin

Postby Andrew » Mon Jan 26, 2015 7:24 pm

Glad I'm not alone on my Caliber dislike.. An unforeseen benefit to it was that it actually made me not think about my dislikes about the second arc.

Loli-Knight wrote:It should be mentioned that details from the novel about why the Calibur quest was so important were left out. The irregular quest they went out on actually had the ability to affect the game world itself. If they didn't complete it in time Thyrm would be able to actually act independently from the game's programming and attack the fairy world above. Nobody would die in real life, but Alfheim would be destroyed.

That was actually briefly mentioned before they went off to fight the boss, even mentioning how it would break backups of the server as well. However, it's still just silly to try to make that into a threatening scenario. If the world is destroyed, they can just recreate it. Data can be created, duplicated, restored. Seeds were made all over the place that losing that world isn't really that big of a deal.

Perhaps we can just chop it up as stockholm. Perhaps they have an unknown fondness for the world that once trapped them. :lol:

kazutaiga
I Love Anime

Postby kazutaiga » Mon Jan 26, 2015 7:34 pm

loganlsr wrote:I enjoyed Alfheim more than GGO because I'm one of those weirdos that enjoyed the Alfheim arc :P but I still didn't think GGO was bad :)

I agree! I really liked Alfheim even if there wasn't a death element to it. If you invested that much time into your character and if you're literally playing the game with all your senses with the Nerve gear, you're going to take it seriously. I didn't think it was over dramatized. GGO would've been great if they didn't stay in the cave for so long. I LOVED Sinon.

Loli-Knight wrote:It should be mentioned that details from the novel about why the Calibur quest was so important were left out. The irregular quest they went out on actually had the ability to affect the game world itself. If they didn't complete it in time Thyrm would be able to actually act independently from the game's programming and attack the fairy world above. Nobody would die in real life, but Alfheim would be destroyed.

THIS ^^ Yeah, I was thinking about this the whole time. I thought this detail was in the show? The Caliber Arc wasn't useless, but they could've done better with the writing.

Also, I don't really have a problem with the harem. Although I wish they would tone it down a bit and get into the characters more. I love SAO, but the thing it does that I don't like is they go into a girls' story then once it's done, they become totally unimportant side pieces. Idk how to explain it.

Oh, and I think Chris should talk more

Mys145
I Bleed Anime

Postby Mys145 » Tue Jan 27, 2015 7:31 am

I think Log Horizon did the whole NPC becoming sentient a lot better. I'm sure I mention this before but there is value in trying to save a virtual world. Sure you can recreate it but would it be the same as the original though? I'm guessing it's probably won't be like the original. They could done the Calibur arc better but I sorta of get the point of it.

I'm very surprised that neither Andrew or Chris mention the lack of faces sometimes in Mushishi Season 2.