98) The State of Anime

Talk about the Podcast!
Andrew
Site Admin

98) The State of Anime

Postby Andrew » Mon Mar 02, 2015 1:27 am

It’s time for an extra meaty Animecast with this newest Discussional Episode. After hitting a few news subject, we give our updated take on the state of the anime industry by reviewing the biggest changes that have happened in the recent year. Following this, we hit up some community questions and round things off with some comical talk of Cross Ange.

Our spoiler involved discussion of Cross Ange: Rondo of Angel and Dragon is our final topic of the podcast and begins at the 2:16:50 mark. If you haven’t watched up to episode 21 of the series, avoid listening beyond that point.

Special thanks to Lenzark, Tori, Ellie, shikakage, JackTWD4th, HenshinAllNight, and Homebound11 for the great questions and comments featured on this episode!

The intro for this episode is “Aoi” by Sakanaction. The outro for this episode is the second OP for Cross Ange called “The Apocalypse of Truth” by Yoko Takahashi.

We hope you all enjoy!
http://otakuspirit.com/2015/03/animecas ... -of-anime/
Keep Connected to OtakuSpirit: YouTube, Facebook, iTunes, Twitter, MyAnimeList
Fate Grand Order: Tsubaki 554,837,694

Lenzark
Anime Junky

Re: 98) The State of Anime

Postby Lenzark » Mon Mar 02, 2015 8:36 am

I believe the stories for current Sailor Moon is straight from the manga which were not in the original run.
I've read the manga way back and I remembered seeing some of the stuff you mentioned.

I have a theory that Harem (in particular Techie), club, and Moe shows are a reflection of the Japanese society now. Especially after listening to AAA, with strong fact that 33% of Japanese people do not want to get married. Club shows will show to these 33% that hanging out in the club potentially increases your chance of getting laid. Techie are meant to encourage people to make love and have kids. These where the Moe comes in, because Moe = cute = children. Just my 19 cents.

Andrew
Site Admin

Postby Andrew » Mon Mar 02, 2015 1:08 pm

I don't doubt it's a driving force for its popularity, straight men always have dreams of girls fighting over them (same for the opposite), but it's strictly a business thing. I doubt any of the harem element is driven by wanting to encourage relationships. Because there's nothing in it besides delusions :D

MadGunner
Senpai

Postby MadGunner » Mon Mar 02, 2015 1:49 pm

Okey guys now that was a huge podcast! 222.2 mb and almost 3 hours long ^^ now that is what I call overkill! but then again I prefer the podcast to be too long over too short so I'm happy.

I lol'ed when you said that Trigger kept to doing their own thing and PA Works only keeps to their Slice Of Life. Trigger made Inou-Battle which was a club show harem and PA Works have made both horror (Another) and action (Canaan), and with pointing this out I would like to agree with your claim that the studios probably want to do something out of their regular stuff once in awhile just to keep their sanity ^^

Lenzark
Anime Junky

Postby Lenzark » Mon Mar 02, 2015 2:02 pm

Andrew wrote:I don't doubt it's a driving force for its popularity, straight men always have dreams of girls fighting over them (same for the opposite), but it's strictly a business thing. I doubt any of the harem element is driven by wanting to encourage relationships. Because there's nothing in it besides delusions :D

So ppl that hate harem aren't straight? Woot? Tho I agree that rarely any harem have romance elements (EL Krepo für Kansler) in em.

Tori
Super NEET II

Postby Tori » Mon Mar 02, 2015 5:30 pm

I know my question wasn't very specific, but I just wanted to know if something like that had ever happend to you in any way. Most of the time when I ask a question like that, the answers I tend to get are that anime (or other things) don't really hit them like that at all. That's why I didn't want to only go for a positive or only a negative spin on it.
ON EXTENDED HIATUS
SEE YOU IN DISCORD

Imagehttp://myanimelist.net/animelist/ToriXtra

Andrew
Site Admin

Postby Andrew » Mon Mar 02, 2015 6:42 pm

MadGunner wrote:Okey guys now that was a huge podcast! 222.2 mb and almost 3 hours long ^^ now that is what I call overkill! but then again I prefer the podcast to be too long over too short so I'm happy.

Haha, it was a case of me making out an outline, then Chris dropping a bombshell of the "State of Anime" outline right into the middle of it. I had no idea what exactly he had planned to talk about. Good times though. Good times.

Funny tidbit: due to the length, I had to export it as uncompressed because of the bounce limit. This meant the podcast episode was initially 1.7 GB before I compressed it into MP3. Wouldn't that be a wonderful download lol!
Lenzark wrote:So ppl that hate harem aren't straight? Woot? Tho I agree that rarely any harem have romance elements (EL Krepo für Kansler) in em.

Or at least they aren't honest with their feelings :P I like to believe now and then that absolutes will agree with me. Some say that's delusional.

Logan
Super NEET IV

Postby Logan » Mon Mar 02, 2015 10:23 pm

A couple shows that have made me need to take a break from watching things:

1. Clannad - The show has such high emotional impact at points that I often feel drained after watching it and need to take a break from watching it haha :D

2. School Days - I....I..Just..*sigh*...no.

shikakage
I Bleed Anime

Postby shikakage » Tue Mar 03, 2015 2:11 am

I really enjoyed this podcast and I agree with MadGunner. I like longer podcasts better. I'm a bit shocked to hear that the Samurai X live action movie was just released in the US. If I remember this was shown in the theaters almost a year ago.

I would love to hear what you guys think of the movie after you've watched it.

With regards to live action anime adaptation, it seems that Koreans do a better job adapting anime/manga into live action compared to Japanese. They make it realistic and less anime-ish.

Women of the kuudere tribe are a pain..They're not used to showing affection, so once they do go sweet they'll give everyone a three-mile radius cavities...

Loli-Knight
Personal Knight of The Tsundere Queen

Postby Loli-Knight » Tue Mar 03, 2015 5:05 am

Definitely agree with some of the folks here. Longer podcasts are kind of my thing, so this one came as a pleasant surprise.

Think you guys hit the nail on the head with how a lot of folks feel about Cross Ange: some pretty good writing, some pretty bad writing, and frustration over feeling like we shouldn't like it as much as we do. And in regards to how well it's doing over in Japan? Pretty well actually. It was so so upon release, but a famous doujin author made a Cross Ange doujin for Comiket that sold really well and created an increased amount of fan-buzz around the show.

You certainly have my condolences knowing that you go hit by the Youtube takedown bug. I watch a lot of folks who have been on the receiving end of it, and it always seems like a nightmare to deal with. Worst part is the people who often get targeted are generally well within the range of fair use, but Youtube's broken detection system is beyond blind to such things.

And no worries on the Grisaia end of things. We're all brothers in arms when it comes to the frustration cuased by its kickstarter. Oh well, I'm getting a physical ChiruChiru and a Michiru-sama dakimakura out of it so I can't complain too much nanoyasa.

Lenzark wrote:I believe the stories for current Sailor Moon is straight from the manga which were not in the original run.
You're right. The first animation was mostly anime-original content, while this one is a 100% faithful adaptation of the manga. Though, it's greatly harmed by all sorts of wondiferous productions issues...
Within The Holy Loli Empire's heart, atop the twintailed throne She sits.
Before you The Tsundere Queen towers, peon.
And you. Will. Kneel.