114) Top Anime You Should Watch

Talk about the Podcast!
Andrew
Site Admin

114) Top Anime You Should Watch

Postby Andrew » Mon May 18, 2015 1:33 am

People have asked for it, and now it’s here. We run through our top must watch anime list. Not to claim these shows are better than any others, but rather to suggest many shows we love that people should watch.

To Note: This isn’t a Top Of All Time. This isn’t to claim these shows are better than your favorite. This list doesn’t include epics that span hundreds of episode. Attempts were made to limit certain studios and companies (IE Ghibli and Key). This list isn’t in any particular order of one being better than another.

For the complete list of shows we covered, check out our Top 50 Must Watch Anime article. Which has been updated.

The intro music for this episode is the OP for Witch Hunter Robin called “Shell” by Bana. The outro for this episode is the intro song for Episode 12 of Air TV called “Aozora” by Lia.

We hope you all enjoy!
http://otakuspirit.com/2015/05/animecas ... uld-watch/
Keep Connected to OtakuSpirit: YouTube, Facebook, iTunes, Twitter, MyAnimeList
Fate Grand Order: Tsubaki 554,837,694

YuGiOhMan91
Crazy About Anime

Re: 114) Top Anime You Should Watch

Postby YuGiOhMan91 » Mon May 18, 2015 7:19 am

It's nice to have an updated list. Though this also means I now have more anime to put on my list to watch....thanks guys. :shock: It's nice to hear about the anime more than getting a quick review; makes me want to watch the shows more.
"I want to stay with you forever..." - Yui

BrOtaku
Crazy About Anime

Postby BrOtaku » Mon May 18, 2015 9:58 am

A little under an hour into this. I can't blame chris too much for not seeing Cowboy Bebop, because I haven't seen all these and I have a dislike for a certain beloved anime. Still I will admit I gasped when Andrew revealed he hadn't seen it :lol:

Logan
Super NEET IV

Postby Logan » Mon May 18, 2015 12:35 pm

My only comment on the list is that I think Sword Art Online should definitely be on there.

Also the thing that Taiga was freaking out because of its enhancing capabilites was a soybean :lol:

Edit: Also where is Anohana? :) You're gonna piss Gunner off!

MadGunner
Senpai

Postby MadGunner » Mon May 18, 2015 1:05 pm

Now that was a hefty list to listen too and I must say that I agree on almost everything that both of you had to say about the shows that I have sen that are this list. I respect you guys and your opinions and that's why I will start by telling you good job and keep em coming!

With that being said....

NOT EVEN AN HONORABLE MENTION!! DAFUQ!!
Come with me Menma, well make our own list.
A list where we are appreciated! with poker and hookers ;)
Last edited by MadGunner on Mon May 18, 2015 3:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Logan
Super NEET IV

Postby Logan » Mon May 18, 2015 1:16 pm

So this is just my opinion, but I don't think that films should be on this list. I feel like they are their own separate beast and should maybe have their own top list :)

Also your guys' list is severely lacking in the romance department! :lol:

BrOtaku
Crazy About Anime

Postby BrOtaku » Mon May 18, 2015 3:05 pm

MadGunner wrote:Come with me Menma, well make our own list.

While I like the OS list, your list had me at poker and hookers. If Bender's there I'm 100% sold.

Andrew
Site Admin

Postby Andrew » Mon May 18, 2015 4:52 pm

Logan wrote:My only comment on the list is that I think Sword Art Online should definitely be on there.

Also the thing that Taiga was freaking out because of its enhancing capabilites was a soybean :lol:

Edit: Also where is Anohana? :) You're gonna piss Gunner off!

SAO was on the original 50 list before the edit. It was bumped off by others mainly because I feel it will eventually go into "epic" territory. But I believe I mentioned it in the honorable mentions.

As for Anohana, sadly it wasn't just an "Andrew" list, even though I built most of it from Chris's top 10 and honorable mentions. I would have easily kicked something like Mai Hime. Though I have no excuse for not including it in the honorable mentions. I kicked the list around for an entire week, and even still there are lots of shows I go "CRAP! I FORGOT!" It's inevitable.

MadGunner wrote:Now that was a hefty list to listen too and I must say that I agree on almost everything that both of you had to say about the shows that I have sen that are this list. I respect you guys and your opinions and that's why I will start by telling you good job and keep em coming!

With that being said....

NOT EVEN AN HONORABLE MENTION!! DAFUQ!!

Come with me Menma, well make our own list.

See above reply..

I really feel stupid :X

Logan wrote:So this is just my opinion, but I don't think that films should be on this list. I feel like they are their own separate beast and should maybe have their own top list :)

Also your guys' list is severely lacking in the romance department! :lol:

I definitely want to do more discussions on top lists. I've kicked around the idea of taking on 5 year spans starting from the late 80s on into the 90s. Just a time thing. But with anime becoming shorter and shorter (many being only 270 minutes total in length), most movies are nearly half the length of entire tv series. So it's hard to separate them anymore.

As for romance, about 13 of them have romance in them. 24 more if you include the honorable mentions. While not the focus in many of them, there's a reason for that. I've never been shy of admitting that Japan sucks at romance. Especially in anime. A prime cause of that is that 99% of anime stars young teens who don't know romance.

Speaking of Romance. Fun fact, even though 5 Centimeters Per Second was on the list, it apparently was lost in the transfer to the outline. I realized it the moment we put away the recording equipment.
Keep Connected to OtakuSpirit: YouTube, Facebook, iTunes, Twitter, MyAnimeList
Fate Grand Order: Tsubaki 554,837,694

Logan
Super NEET IV

Postby Logan » Mon May 18, 2015 5:33 pm

Andrew wrote:snippoi~

I see what your saying about SAO but we probably won't get anymore for atleast another 2 years, so while in the future it may obtain epic status, I still think it deserves to be on the list :)

In regards to the films, I feel that the presentation is a lot different from a 12 episode anime. There are certainly long films out there that rival the minutes of an anime series but I don't think you can necessarily compare them in that way. If you were to take an anime film and chop it up into 22 minute sections, it wouldn't work. The pacing would be way off. That's why I think they should be in their own separate category', but again these are just my own thoughts :)

Japan does definitely suck at romance :lol: That being said, there are a couple good ones that I feel could have been deserving of making the list: Love, Chunnibyo, and Oyher Delusions and Say I Love You. You may not have seen Say I Love you, so I understand why you wouldn't even think of it :)

Top 50 lists are hard and you can't please everyone! Be proud of your list, though! It's a good one! :D

Ellie
Forum Tsundere

Postby Ellie » Mon May 18, 2015 5:36 pm

Logan wrote:So this is just my opinion, but I don't think that films should be on this list. I feel like they are their own separate beast and should maybe have their own top list :)

I think they belong on this list, but I'd love to see a list of the top 50 shows. It'd be interesting to see and more up my alley because I struggle to get through most movies.