122) Spring 2015 Review Part 1

Talk about the Podcast!
Andrew
Site Admin

122) Spring 2015 Review Part 1

Postby Andrew » Mon Jun 29, 2015 12:20 am

The conclusion to the Spring 2015 Season is finally upon us. With its conclusion comes a slew of new reviews to hit your ears. Join us as we dive into 6 titles featuring hackers, T&A, magical star chasers, time birds, vampires, tea serving pretty boys, and the ultimate case of bait and switch.

Anime Reviewed in this Episode: Ghost in the Shell Arise Alternative Architecture, Triage X, Wish Upon The Pleiades, Gunslinger Stratos, Seraph of the End: Vampire Reign, Rainy Cocoa, and Punch Line.

Following our review of Punch Line and the closing song, we dive into some spoiler discussion on Punch Line. If you have not watched Punch Line, avoid listening beyond the 1:27:24 point.

The intro is the OP for Seraph of the End called “X.U.” by SawanoHiroyuki[nZk]: Gemie. The outro is the OP for Ghost in the Shell Arise called “Anata o Tamotsu Mono” by Maaya Sakamoto. After the spoiler discussion we play the OP for Punch Line called “PUNCH LINE!” by Shokotan ♥ Denpagumi.

We hope you all enjoy!
http://otakuspirit.com/2015/06/animecas ... ew-part-1/
Keep Connected to OtakuSpirit: YouTube, Facebook, iTunes, Twitter, MyAnimeList
Fate Grand Order: Tsubaki 554,837,694

Mys145
I Bleed Anime

Re: 122) Spring 2015 Review Part 1

Postby Mys145 » Tue Jun 30, 2015 8:01 am

I'm sorry to point this out but the series you keep referring to as "GARA" is actually "GARO". I notice this in the Punchline review as well.

The weird thing about GiTS: Arise TV series is that the first two episodes were actually the fourth OVA. I didn't really understand why they decided to mess around with the original order of the OVAs and felt it was really unnecessary to do unless they want to show off the entire team to get people into the series. The series is meant to be a prequel to later series but could be considered as an alternate take of the series. Also the upcoming anime movie is a sequel to the events in Arise especially episodes 9-10.

As for Punchline, I didn't dropped it because of the panties and the ecchi. That wasn't my problem with it. I had two problems with it. One, I realized the characters were just random inserted in there especially after
Spoiler:
the bear and the robot girl
were revealed. The second problem was I felt that ghost boy was just there to view the other characters instead of trying to find the book. It's one thing that the conversations were actually headed towards the goal but instead of he's being like a wire tap. That's why I gave up on the show after episode 3.

Andrew
Site Admin

Postby Andrew » Tue Jun 30, 2015 9:58 am

Mys145 wrote:I'm sorry to point this out but the series you keep referring to as "GARA" is actually "GARO". I notice this in the Punchline review as well.

Hah.. think I've watched too much Naruto and not enough Garo. My bad.

I think I noticed the flip in timeline also when I accidentally stumbled upon the OVA on Funimation for GitS. Though I never investigated it.

Xavi_
I Like Anime

Postby Xavi_ » Wed Jul 01, 2015 8:24 pm

OoOoOooOoii... just saying: the greeting/farewell word might be "Ciao", not "Aloha", hehe.

So you think Seraph of The End is worth watching? Hmmmm. I don't know, I just finished watching 26 eps of Haikyuu somy body needs some fanservice. But Triage X is no good? mmmmmmh.

Again, thanks for the podcast. I loooove listening to two goofing-adults anime-talking miku-lovers during my random strolls. I can't wait to hear your opinion on Etotama, desu desu!
ڿڰۣ-ڰۣ—

Ellie
Forum Tsundere

Postby Ellie » Wed Jul 01, 2015 8:28 pm

I'm actually really thankful that Andrew pushed me to get back into Punchline. I, like most people, dropped it around the episode 3/4 mark because it was pure fan service. Once things actually got going, I really did end up enjoying it. That's the only time I'll enjoy fan service, so take it while you can. :lol:

I think I'm pretty much the only person who actually enjoyed Seraph a lot. Not sure what it was about it, but it ended up being one of my favourites of the season. This was the first time I've ever had such an opposite opinion of Andrew and Chris.

Logan
Super NEET IV

Postby Logan » Wed Jul 01, 2015 8:38 pm

Ellie wrote:I think I'm pretty much the only person who actually enjoyed Seraph a lot. Not sure what it was about it, but it ended up being one of my favourites of the season. T

It was because Shinoa was in the show.

shikakage
I Bleed Anime

Postby shikakage » Wed Jul 01, 2015 8:46 pm

Thanks for the review guys.

Honestly, I dropped Punchline after episode 1. I'm VERY VERY VEERRRYYYY tolerant of fan servicey shows but after watching 1 episode I just felt really exhausted. It didn't really tell me what the heck the show was about. Glad to hear that it does get better. I'm going to give this show another shot.

Women of the kuudere tribe are a pain..They're not used to showing affection, so once they do go sweet they'll give everyone a three-mile radius cavities...

Andrew
Site Admin

Postby Andrew » Wed Jul 01, 2015 8:52 pm

Xavi_ wrote:So you think Seraph of The End is worth watching? Hmmmm. I don't know, I just finished watching 26 eps of Haikyuu somy body needs some fanservice. But Triage X is no good? mmmmmmh.

Again, thanks for the podcast. I loooove listening to two goofing-adults anime-talking miku-lovers during my random strolls. I can't wait to hear your opinion on Etotama, desu desu!

Thanks as usual for listening :D If you need fanservice fix, I'd be more inclined to suggest something like Punchline, Outbreak Company, or Henneko over Triage X. But I guess that's more because I like cutesy fanservice more than... real estate fanservice.

I probably shouldn't admit to that.

Ellie wrote:I'm actually really thankful that Andrew pushed me to get back into Punchline. I, like most people, dropped it around the episode 3/4 mark because it was pure fan service. Once things actually got going, I really did end up enjoying it. That's the only time I'll enjoy fan service, so take it while you can. :lol:

I think I'm pretty much the only person who actually enjoyed Seraph a lot. Not sure what it was about it, but it ended up being one of my favourites of the season. This was the first time I've ever had such an opposite opinion of Andrew and Chris.

Glad you ended up enjoying Punchline! Always difficult to suggest a divisive show, but it's always rewarding when it turns out good.

I thought Chris was highly favorable of Seraph.. maybe I missed some negative comments. Though my frustration with Seraph has a lot to do with my desire of it to become what I expected of it. It started with a GREAT premise, just failed to deliver in certain areas that would have made it gold.

shikakage wrote:Thanks for the review guys.

Honestly, I dropped Punchline after episode 1. I'm VERY VERY VEERRRYYYY tolerant of fan servicey shows but after watching 1 episode I just felt really exhausted. It didn't really tell me what the heck the show was about. Glad to hear that it does get better. I'm going to give this show another shot.

Definitely shoot for at "least" episode 4 before deciding. Even better, episode 6 if you manage to get on the fence about it. The hooks were really deep in me at that point. And as always, thank YOU for listening :D

Logan
Super NEET IV

Postby Logan » Wed Jul 01, 2015 8:55 pm

Andrew wrote:I guess that's more because I like cutesy fanservice more than... real estate fanservice.

I probably shouldn't admit to that.

I'm right there with you man :lol:

shikakage
I Bleed Anime

Postby shikakage » Wed Jul 01, 2015 8:56 pm

Andrew wrote:Definitely shoot for at "least" episode 4 before deciding. Even better, episode 6 if you manage to get on the fence about it. The hooks were really deep in me at that point. And as always, thank YOU for listening :D

Noted! Thanks Andrew! :D

Women of the kuudere tribe are a pain..They're not used to showing affection, so once they do go sweet they'll give everyone a three-mile radius cavities...