49) Studio Ghibli Restructure and Subs Vs Dubs

Talk about the Podcast!
Andrew
Site Admin

49) Studio Ghibli Restructure and Subs Vs Dubs

Postby Andrew » Sun Aug 10, 2014 10:24 pm

It’s all over the Twittersphere, and the Animecast is here to talk about it. Is Studio Ghibli closing or is there too much miscommunication? We chime in, clear as much up as we can, and give our opinions on what Studio Ghibli should do going forward.

Following this discussion, we move on to a topic that has been around since the early days of translation. Do you prefer Japanese voice with English subtitles, or English dub? We weigh in and give our reasons for why we love what we love.

Special thanks to Jun for allowing her insight on Japan to be featured in our Ask Jun segment of the show. Also our thanks to our community for offering some great questions to be featured.

The intro for this episode is the theme for Princess Mononoke from the original soundtrack which can be bought on iTunes. The outro is called “One Summer’s Day” from the Spirited Away soundtrack which can also be bought on iTunes.

http://otakuspirit.com/2014/08/animecas ... rsus-dubs/
Keep Connected to OtakuSpirit: YouTube, Facebook, iTunes, Twitter, MyAnimeList
Fate Grand Order: Tsubaki 554,837,694

OfficerCornjob
I Like Anime

Re: 49) Studio Ghibli Restructure and Subs Vs Dubs

Postby OfficerCornjob » Mon Aug 11, 2014 11:17 pm

I personally prefer subs on shows that I really love. However I do watch many shows on dub when I can't give a show 100% of my attention. Trying to read subs and do other things is impossible for me so, I like having the option to have a dub even when I believe subs are always better.

Neko
Jii-San

Postby Neko » Tue Aug 12, 2014 9:32 am

I've come to prefer subs, but there are some pretty good dubs out there. One show I prefer the Dub version of is Black Lagoon. Dutch, Revy, and Benny speaking Japanese just seems a tad odd.

Having said that, I am finding myself preferring subs, and I find myself getting more and more used to it. I sometimes forget I'm reading.

Chris
Site Co-Founder

Postby Chris » Tue Aug 12, 2014 9:41 am

you will find that you will always prefer the show as you first seen it in. i belive this is acceptance of that characters voice.

allow me to explain becaus i know that dosent make alot of sence. the first voice you get used to becomes that characters voice. it wont matter if its english or japanese. like me with tenchi or sasami. or goku and vageta. i have a hard time with the japanese on those shows.

i hope that makes sence

OfficerCornjob
I Like Anime

Postby OfficerCornjob » Tue Aug 12, 2014 11:58 am

Neko wrote:Having said that, I am finding myself preferring subs, and I find myself getting more and more used to it. I sometimes forget I'm reading.

Very true Neko, it does take time getting used to subs but I think it's worth the time getting used to reading because you get so much more out of the show that way.

DestroyerGX
I Bleed Anime

Postby DestroyerGX » Tue Aug 12, 2014 12:05 pm

For me, subs are the norms. The few exceptions I can probably list with one hand, like Cowboy Bebop (this is so far the only one that comes to mind). After watching Clannad+After Story, I tried listening to the English dub: I felt the choice for Sunohara Youhei's voice was a bit odd, IMHO. And the girls' voices seemed a bit stilted, not natural. But then again, I've always preferred subs!

Chris
Site Co-Founder

Postby Chris » Tue Aug 12, 2014 12:16 pm

something to consider also due to the fact that cowboy bebop is tossed out there quite often. we mentioned that disney films demand a higher quality voice acting cast. cowboy bebop is a little bit of an exception due to its placement in time. when it was brought over it was during the "golden age of anime" and it was on the cusp. america was devowering anime and cartoon network placed this as the flagship of adult swim. they invested more money into the voice cast.

Neko
Jii-San

Postby Neko » Wed Aug 13, 2014 9:26 am

Chris: you will find that you will always prefer the show as you first seen it in. i believe this is acceptance of that characters voice.

I can see where this can often be the case. OTOH, I'm rewatching Robotis;Notes subbed. My initial viewing was the dubbed version, and it's a really good dub. However, maybe because of the setting and characters, the subs are preferable.

I haven't seen too many dubs where the English language voice actors are obviously phoning it in, but I haven't been at this that long. I will make this observation about actors I've known and worked with. Most of them have an amazing work ethic, they know that the odds are against them making it. I did one V.O. gig for a commercial in which I puppeteered. I was placed in a small booth with a mic and a monitor and was trying to overdub myself. It was really hard! And I was trying to lip sync with a sock-puppet Literally!

These folks doing V.O. work for Funimation are working in a non-union environment. So most probably want to move up the ladder a bit to better paying work, and who can blame them. But a good way to move up that ladder is to build a reel, so it pays to do one's best.

off soapbox now :)

MissMurder1221
Lead Tsundere

Postby MissMurder1221 » Thu Aug 14, 2014 6:23 pm

being a Disney fan, might I recommend Wreck-It Ralph since you guys don't like watching the Princess ones? It's about a video game character who doesn't want to he the "bad guy" anymore, if you don't know what it is. it's my favorite Disney movie of all time besides Peter Pan and The Sword in the Stone. :)
Koneko-Chan, at your service! Image
FFXIV Advocate

MadGunner
Senpai

Postby MadGunner » Sat Aug 30, 2014 6:28 am

Soo I'm sitting here watching Panty & Stocking and this show is best in English. All the cursing works better in English. Sub over dub in all other shows!!