127) Spring 2015 Split Season Impressions

Talk about the Podcast!
Andrew
Site Admin

127) Spring 2015 Split Season Impressions

Postby Andrew » Thu Jul 23, 2015 7:57 pm

We've reviewed the shows that ended in Spring 2015, but many of them continued on into Summer. In this episode, we give our Mid-Season Reviews for 4 big titles that storm their way into the Summer line-up.

Anime Talked About In This Episode: The Heroic Legend of Arslan, My Love Story!!, Food Wars, and Ultimate Otaku Teacher.

The intro music for this episode is the OP for The Heroic Legend of Arslan called "These Aren't My Words. These Are Our Words" by UVERworld.  The outro music is the ED for Food Wars called "Spice" by Tokyo Karan Koron.

We hope you all enjoy!
http://otakuspirit.com/2015/07/animecas ... pressions/
Keep Connected to OtakuSpirit: YouTube, Facebook, iTunes, Twitter, MyAnimeList
Fate Grand Order: Tsubaki 554,837,694

shikakage
I Bleed Anime

Re: 127) Spring 2015 Split Season Impressions

Postby shikakage » Thu Jul 23, 2015 9:26 pm

Great podcast episode guys!

Arslan Senki - I have to agree with you guys. The show is really slow paced so I stopped watching it for now. I'll wait until it gets finished and binge watch it.

Food Wars - There will be a good development for Souma coming soon. Not sure if that's going to be covered in the anime though. Have you guys ever watched the anime Cooking Master Boy? I think that anime is a really good food type anime.

Women of the kuudere tribe are a pain..They're not used to showing affection, so once they do go sweet they'll give everyone a three-mile radius cavities...

BTAG
Crazy About Anime

Postby BTAG » Thu Jul 23, 2015 9:57 pm

This is probably the most I've ever disagreed with you. Firstly, I find Arslan Senki far easier to watch than Ore Monogatari!! I absolutely adored the first handful of episodes of both of them, but Ore Monogatari!! has become so stagnant, that despite Arslan Senki being slow, it still feels incredibly fast by comparison. Ore Monogatari!! is cute, but it's so overpoweringly cute, and with really nothing happening, that it's very hard for me to sit down and commit to watching all of it. Everyone always complains about anime ending with them becoming a couple, and I feel like this is a good example of why that sometimes is better. The beginning was incredible, and the beginning of that relationship was incredible, but now it feels so incredibly similar every episode. I still like it quite a bit, but it's losing its luster.

In regards to Shokugeki no Soma, I don't know what you were expecting in terms of the portrayal of his growth. It's a Shounen, but in contrast to a power level, or new moves to signify the protagonist growing stronger, food can't be judged solely by sight. The presentation sure, but other than that, the only basis for discerning whether or not it is better than what he has previously made, is by analyzing the reaction of those that have tasted his food multiple times, which doesn't happen particularly often. I'm just really enjoying it so far. I've watched an innumerable amount of Iron Chef, Top Chef, Hell's Kitchen, Chopped, Masterchef, etc, so I'm very biased when it comes to food competitions. I have read the manga though, and without spoiling anything, I'm cautiously optimistic that your review will be more positive.

Andrew
Site Admin

Postby Andrew » Thu Jul 23, 2015 10:05 pm

BTAG wrote:poi

What's funny is that everything you just said in contrast to "disagreeing" with us is mostly word for word our same feelings on these shows. So not sure what we're in disagreement of? It's just a simple matter of each point weighing on us more than another and taste.

Thanks for listening as usual BTAG :)

BTAG
Crazy About Anime

Postby BTAG » Thu Jul 23, 2015 10:21 pm

Andrew wrote:
BTAG wrote:poi

What's funny is that everything you just said in contrast to "disagreeing" with us is mostly word for word our same feelings on these shows. So not sure what we're in disagreement of? It's just a simple matter of each point weighing on us more than another and taste.

Thanks for listening as usual BTAG :)

You guys seemed to think that the lack of growth in his skills was a negative, while I think that it's just something that is literally impossible to convey, and therefore isn't a detractor. Only his mental growth can be conveyed, and not the actual quality of his food, but we just haven't gotten to his development yet. Well, regardless, as a manga reader, there is some stuff ahead that I'm sure everyone will enjoy. :D

Mys145
I Bleed Anime

Postby Mys145 » Fri Jul 24, 2015 7:15 am

I'm glad that you guys are turning around on Ultimate Otaku Teacher. Luckily I don't have the problems with bad animation that you guys see in the show. I'm also glad that you aren't saying it's a GTO clone either.

Arslan was originally a Persian epic but here is where Chris causing confusion. Yoshiki Tanaka took that epic and has been writing novels from it back in 1986. There are 14 novels released so far with the last one released in 2014. There was two manga series from the Japanese novels. The first one was released from 1991 to 1996 and the OVA was based off that series. The current manga series is from the Full Metal Alchemist mangaka and which the current anime is based on.

I want to clarify something you said about Arslan which I put in spoiler tags since it happened in episode 10.

Spoiler:
They killed the leader of the castle but Arslan freed the slaves living there. They didn't like that action so Arslan and his group had to leave the area. Also they probably didn't win any favor from the troops there even though they were Parsian.

As for Food Wars, I can't really see going the route of Yakitate Japan with the silliness and fantastical factor. If you thought eating food that make you go to heaven was nuts, there is some crazier stuff than that later on in that series (especially towards the end of the manga).

Andrew
Site Admin

Postby Andrew » Fri Jul 24, 2015 7:43 am

Mys145 wrote:
Spoiler:
They killed the leader of the castle but Arslan freed the slaves living there. They didn't like that action so Arslan and his group had to leave the area. Also they probably didn't win any favor from the troops there even though they were Parsian.

Spoiler:
My comment was about the military, not the slaves. He wasn't freeing the slaves to make them his army. He was requesting the aid of the military power that was in the keep.

As for the troops, I don't think it's about winning favors. The crown Prince of Pars showed up and killed a traitor. There's no reason not to follow the crown prince.

Mys145
I Bleed Anime

Postby Mys145 » Fri Jul 24, 2015 1:28 pm

Andrew wrote:
Spoiler:
My comment was about the military, not the slaves. He wasn't freeing the slaves to make them his army. He was requesting the aid of the military power that was in the keep.

As for the troops, I don't think it's about winning favors. The crown Prince of Pars showed up and killed a traitor. There's no reason not to follow the crown prince.

Spoiler:
Then again, freeing the slaves isn't exactly a popular idea among the people of Pars. You think the soldiers would follow blindly but to them, Arslan killed their leader and like him regardless. Arslan just has 5 people on his side while the soldiers could easily kill them at that point and didn't want to kill anymore of his subjects.

Neko
Jii-San

Postby Neko » Fri Jul 24, 2015 3:34 pm

I''m not following Oaku Teacher, so I almost didn't listen to that segment, but I got to hear Chris have a total giggle-fit. So, of course I was laughing :)

Chris said the pacing for Arslan sucked Too rushed?. ::mischief::
I think one of the things I like about Arslanm is what I Liked about Yona, the stories are both quests for a team, an army etc. So team building (interesting) gets precedence over endless battles (boring). And if there is as much material as Myst says (no reason to doubt) then it may take place over a long time. I'd prefer that to packing too much material into too few episodes, like Yamada-Kun and the Seven Witches.

Lenzark
Anime Junky

Postby Lenzark » Fri Jul 24, 2015 4:10 pm

shikakage wrote:Cooking Master Boy?

That and Yakitate are my pick for food animes. The rest are meh. ::dread::