142) Summer 2015 Anime Season Review Part 1

Talk about the Podcast!
Andrew
Site Admin

142) Summer 2015 Anime Season Review Part 1

Postby Andrew » Sun Sep 27, 2015 2:56 pm

The Summer 2015 Season is concluding and it’s time for us to kick off the first part of our Summer 2015 Reviews! In this episode, we kick things off with quite a few big titles of the season, as well as some hidden gems!

Anime Reviewed in this Episode: Himouto Umaru-chan, Castle Town Dandelion, Chaos Dragon, GATE, Aoharu X Machinegun, Sky Wizard Academy, My Wife is the Student Council President, Danchigai, Bikini Warriors, and School-Live.

The intro is the OP for School-Live called “I Want To Be Friends” by Gakuen Seikatsubu. The outro is the ED for Castle Town Dandelion called “Honey Come!!” by Yui Ogura.

We hope you all enjoy!
http://otakuspirit.com/2015/09/animecas ... ew-part-1/
Keep Connected to OtakuSpirit: YouTube, Facebook, iTunes, Twitter, MyAnimeList
Fate Grand Order: Tsubaki 554,837,694

Neko
Jii-San

Re: 142) Summer 2015 Anime Season Review Part 1

Postby Neko » Sun Sep 27, 2015 4:16 pm

You guys are crankin' em out lately! When do you sleep?

SeismicWolf
Otaku

Postby SeismicWolf » Sun Sep 27, 2015 7:50 pm

Whats this about Rabbits?
Spoiler:

Seriously.....should I stop with this troll stuff?

Andrew
Site Admin

Postby Andrew » Sun Sep 27, 2015 10:51 pm

I'd like to take this time to point out two things from this podcast. 1.Chris was seriously bad with spoilers and I had to edit out sooooo many (minor really) spoilers! 2.Chris critiqued Castle Town Dandelion with it's 10 characters, but didn't have any problem with Gate's 40 characters. Prepare for him to critique Actually I Am's 10 characters, Monster Musume's 16+ characters, Prison School's 11+ characters, Charlotte's 20+ characters, etc.

::mischief::

*Totally not bitter for him bashing one of my top favorites of the season.*

Neko wrote:You guys are crankin' em out lately! When do you sleep?

I finally figured out a system to force Chris to actually watch stuff. This thing called a shared calendar that he's actually following lol

So it's been easier to get on the same page with shows and crank them out. It's been a lot of fun. Hopefully it's not overwhelming people.

Just figured with all of the Review/Recap shows, we didn't want to underserve those that weren't listening to the Recap parts. Though, Aria The Scarlet Ammo's is already recorded, and that will be the last of the Review/Recaps. Going forward we have Fairy Tail Cour 1, then after things settle with the new season kicking off, we're moving into the Bakemonogatari series. Should be a blast.

Giant_Robot_Hug
I Bleed Anime

Postby Giant_Robot_Hug » Mon Sep 28, 2015 1:05 pm

It pleases me that you came around, and accepted the greatness of TSF.

Logan
Super NEET IV

Postby Logan » Mon Sep 28, 2015 2:38 pm

I never mixed Hana with Hikari or vice versa :lol: I did however think that Akane's friend Karen looks like Hikage from Non Non Biyori every time she was on the screen :lol:

Pictures!:

Spoiler:

Giant_Robot_Hug wrote:It pleases me that you came around, and accepted the greatness of TSF.

TSF IS LOVE. TSF IS LIFE.

Giant_Robot_Hug
I Bleed Anime

Postby Giant_Robot_Hug » Mon Sep 28, 2015 5:07 pm

Logan wrote:Pictures!:

Wow, that's hilariously similar! I wonder if that little side tail is a thing in Japan...

Logan
Super NEET IV

Postby Logan » Tue Sep 29, 2015 12:44 am

Giant_Robot_Hug wrote:
Logan wrote:Pictures!:

Wow, that's hilariously similar! I wonder if that little side tail is a thing in Japan...

I know right! I think its a cute look, but not one we really see over here in the US. I hope it becomes a little more mainstream everywhere! :D

In regards to the School-Live fan service discussion:

Spoiler:
I had no problem with the pool episode or any of the fan service. The framing of some of the shots was definitely shot in a provocative(?) manner, but the episode served a purpose. It was used as world building. It explained the importance of the "pool" as well as all of the other equipment on the building that made it possible for the girls to stay in a school for so long.

Here's one shot that I know some people were uproarious about:

It's all about how the shot is framed. If this shot was shown from a more elevated angle, I doubt we would have as many complaints as there were. Again, I don't have any problems with the fan service! :D

Chris
Site Co-Founder

Postby Chris » Tue Sep 29, 2015 7:56 am

I hear you Logan. My mini rant was more on the angle of people framing it as a fan servicey show when it's really not. I don't mind fan service like you. But sometimes when someone gets frustrated about something it can get blown out of proportion. I am sure even I am guilty of blowing things out of proportion. But I do try not to do it and I defiantly don't try to portray a show as something it's not.

Andrew
Site Admin

Postby Andrew » Tue Sep 29, 2015 9:52 am

Logan wrote:In regards to the School-Live fan service discussion:

Spoiler:
I had no problem with the pool episode or any of the fan service. The framing of some of the shots was definitely shot in a provocative(?) manner, but the episode served a purpose. It was used as world building. It explained the importance of the "pool" as well as all of the other equipment on the building that made it possible for the girls to stay in a school for so long.

Here's one shot that I know some people were uproarious about:

It's all about how the shot is framed. If this shot was shown from a more elevated angle, I doubt we would have as many complaints as there were. Again, I don't have any problems with the fan service! :D

Spoiler:
And we acknowledge that, I was going to bring up the many low butt shots but felt it would only drag the conversation out, belittle the show, and end up overshadowing the review for such a dumb topic. The "Mall/DogWash/Pool" example were just simple ones that people could catch (Which all contained those angle shots). Angle shots would take more specific pointing out. Though it is funny to realize that a girl in underwear is just a girl in underwear until the shot tells us that they are aware of what they are showing. Typically either angled down or up.