Finally joining in.

Let us get to know you!
BlueSpark
Anime Junky

Re: Finally joining in.

Postby BlueSpark » Fri Aug 25, 2017 6:25 am

Scribblenog wrote:First off I'll recommend DxD. It's plot is very typical of a shounen bad guy of the week.
Well, that might or might not turn into a problem for me - as it stands, shows following the typical shounen (action/adventure) structure are among my least favorite kinds of animes.
Scribblenog wrote:massive mammories are an ever present feature baring a couple of loli exceptions.
Well, can't say I'm thrilled, but I got through it okay with Monster Musume. I should be able to bear it if the show as a whole intrigues me.
Scribblenog wrote:That aside, there are some good elements of romance involved.
Now, that sounds better ;). I will consider it, but there are no concrete plans yet.

Scribblenog wrote:While the former explores a forbidden sibling relationship, and thoughtfully explores the impact of it and the later details a number of highly sexualized, but moderately "real-ish" relationships (including the incest arc), Kissxsis is just comedy smut.
Don't worry, no misunderstandings here :). I'm perfectly aware of the style (or lack thereof, as some people would undoubtedly put it) KissxSis is shooting for. I figure it'd be a nice anime to throw on when I don't want to think, just have a good laugh and feel a little tingly :P.

Scribblenog wrote:I can't speak much to the character in Accel World. I don't think I finished that one. All I can recall was that the black-haired girl had a complex about her blade-arms.
Huh... To be honest, I had completely forgotten about the blade arms in her (true) in-game form. I overall liked the series a little better than Sword Art Online (which it is often compared to), mainly because it spends more time on real-world contact and relationship building of the characters. But Haru - whom, unfortunately, many anime fans cannot stand because he is small and fat - left a lasting impression on me through his personality and development.

Scribblenog wrote:High School of the Dead isn't a bad show either when I think about it. Is it a lack of interest in anime zombies that makes you pause or is it the zombies plus blatant fan service?
It's neither of those, actually - rather, it's my general dislike of action-heavy shows, a category which I would assume High School of the Dead to belong to. I do know about the infamous matrix boobs, however, I'm not sure whether that's a good (pretty hilarious) or a bad (I believe they're a little oversized) thing to me.

That actually leads me nicely into another question: What's your general stance of action in anime? Personally, I tend to steer clear of it when possible. A couple of months ago, I jumped over my shadow and watched Fullmetal Alchemist: Brotherhood - a favorite of many, yet I was frankly bored throughout most of its run. I just can't find much appeal in flashy action/battle sequences. My favorite scene of the series was one around the halfway point that played in the aftermath of a battle and hit me straight in the feels.

On the other hand, if I'm drawn into the show by other factors, action scenes can become meaningful to me. An example of that would be A Certain Scientific Railgun, where I simply loved Mikoto and Kuroko going all-out in the finales of both the 1st and the 2nd season. But that's mainly because these characters had already grown so dear to me through other means that I was genuinely rooting for them; unfortunately, I can't say the same thing about FMA and most similar shows that I've seen.
Know a decent number of anime characters? Check out my forum game!

Scribblenog
I Like Anime

Postby Scribblenog » Fri Aug 25, 2017 6:59 am

Andrew wrote:Hello Scribblenog. Sorry for the extra long delay in welcoming you to the community. Thanks so much for listening to us, and for sticking around so long.

No worries at all. BlueSpark has been very kind, entertaining me with question as I slowly slide my way into the more general boards.
It's been a good time so far and I hope to stick around for a bit and maybe one day be able to welcome even newer folks.
I'm pretty bummed out that it took me, like two years to finally decide to hop in here.

Scribblenog
I Like Anime

Postby Scribblenog » Fri Aug 25, 2017 12:30 pm

BlueSpark wrote:However, Hyouka's dub will be dropping soon, and I've already planted it on my plan-to-watch pile.

While rereading your post prior to the last one I realized I hadn't said anything about Hyouka other than to praise the main character. I was remiss in leaving it out of my list of favorites. Hyouka is wonderful and I adore the anime. From the characters to the lacksidasical I atmosphere to the incredible presentation of the animation. It is beautiful and painfully cute. Ah...Chitanda...so cute.
It's is well worth a watch.
BlueSpark wrote:What's your general stance of action in anime?

Action, shounen, battle anime. So that genre is a tough one for me too. To roll things back and use DxD as an example, I might not have watched the show all the way through three seasons had it not been for the fanservice and character relationships. Chalk up a win for ecchi there, it broke up the monotony when an entire episode got bogged down by a boss battle. Add in the MC's victories were often accomplished due to his embracing of lewdness or his feeling towards particular characters and it helped me power through.
I actually stopped watching anime for a long while during college and after. Part of this was due to an inability to get my hands on anything I really wanted to see and the prevalence of anime I did not really care for. It was the age of Dragonball Z and that was pretty much the only prevalent anime unless one wanted to dip into Poke/Digi/YuGi etc. I think Inuyasha might have been available around that time too...
Anyway, I kinda have a hard cap of a half episode for a fight. If an anime goes over that or even worse requires multiple episodes to resolve a battle I have a very difficult time staying engaged.
It's not that I dislike the action, I'd just rather the effort put into pulling off a flashy combat sequence was used on making the characters and scenes sparkle.
I'm also not saying I wouldn't watch or enjoy an anime where high action is a focus, there's just a lot of stuff out there I much rather put into my eyeballs.
Railgun didn't bother me. I thought it was pretty solid. I do enjoy a bit of science in my "magic" though so some of the esper powers gave a "that's a neat idea" feel. The titular railgun and electrical powered acceleration of matter was nifty.

Question in return (feel free to point me to any prior posts you might have made on the subject): What is it you find in anime that draws you to the medium? Broad topic I know, but what got you into it? What keeps you watching?

BlueSpark
Anime Junky

Postby BlueSpark » Fri Aug 25, 2017 4:23 pm

I gotcha on the genre mix in DxD. It might turn into a mixed bag for me, but then again, there are always outliers to my non-action rule. We'll see.

Scribblenog wrote:Question in return (feel free to point me to any prior posts you might have made on the subject): What is it you find in anime that draws you to the medium? Broad topic I know, but what got you into it? What keeps you watching?
I don't think I've ever written a proper paragraph about this (let alone several), so I'll take this opportunity. My introduction to anime pretty much consisted of 3 shows that were airing on German TV about 16 years ago: DragonBall Z, Case Closed and Ramna 1/2. I knew about DragonBall Z because some guys in my class were talking about it. I knew about Case Closed because my brother (who is 3 years younger than me) was watching it. Ranma 1/2 was kind of an odd beast. And yet, after a while, I figured out that the latter was the most intriguing of the trio to me: I found that the romantic scenes (which were actually few and far between) exerted the biggest fascination on me. Thus, it became my gateway through which I started searching for more romantic comedies.

In the begging, I was perfectly happy with a handful of harem rom-coms such as Love Hina, Girls Bravo and The Familiar of Zero. But when I stumbled upon Shuffle! and then the first couple of Key adaptations, I realized that anime had the power to shake up my emotions in a way that no other media had before. I watched Titanic (Something you'd probably call a classic dramatic romance) at the age of around 14 or 15 - and honestly couldn't fathom how anybody would spill tears over a story such as that. Well, fast forward a couple of years, and you could see me bawl my eyes out at the ending of Air. That's something I feel anime does incredibly well, and something I'm always looking forward to in the medium: emotional turmoil. If it's depressing, I'll probably enjoy it; if it's sweet and happy, I'll probably enjoy it; if it mixes these two extremes competently, chances are I'll fall in love with it.

So yeah, I'm in it for the feels, 100%. However, over time, I've grown to appreciate anime as a medium on a more basic level. I've discovered that I can thoroughly enjoy series gounded in different genres such as thriller (Steins;Gate and Psycho-Pass being fine examples), horror, but also slice of life (K-On! is adorable despite not actually featuring any noteworthy drama or romance) and even the occasional action-oriented show (I guess I would count Kill la Kill among those, too).

As for what makes the anime medium so different for me, I honestly couldn't tell you. I just... go by feel. Wow, isn't that fitting? I have noticed, however, that I've become more 'susceptible' to emotional reactions with my years of being an anime fan. Nowadays, I can watch something as little as Lizz Robinett's "Rockbell" and be in tears by the end. Similar story with certain scenes in video games. These are emotions I tend not to exerience in my personal 'real' life, so I deeply appreciate the chance to feel the happiness and sadness vicariously for the characters on screen without actually being in their shoes (and thus having to deal with the potentially devestating fallout of some situations they find themselves in).

Scribblenog
I Like Anime

Postby Scribblenog » Fri Aug 25, 2017 10:34 pm

BlueSpark wrote:My introduction to anime pretty much consisted of 3 shows that were airing on German TV about 16 years ago: DragonBall Z, Case Closedand Ramna 1/2.

Oh, sweet Ranma. That's an anime that sparks some delightful nostalgia. I remember that being one of the anime I got hooked on way back when.
One of my upperclassmen, who supplied my nascent anime addiction in highscool, slipped a couple of VHS tapes full of Ranma in with my regular dosage of giant robots and magical ninjas.
Around the same time I also got my hands on Maison Ikkoku and Yurusei Yatsura. Between drama, romance and fan service harems I very quickly shifted my interest from explosive space battles to rom-coms.
I don't think my seniors were expecting that but it kicked of a flood of titles heading my way that weren't the typical viewing fare of the average teen boy.

BlueSpark wrote:Well, fast forward a couple of years, and you could see me bawl my eyes out at the ending of Air. That's something I feel anime does incredibly well...

The feels...sweet leaping monkeys the feels. I can relate to that.
I can always get a good sniffle every time I hear a few bars of Secret Base and picture the last ten minutes of Anohana. Even hearing Dango Daikazoku will choke me up.
I don't even know why this happens and I find it hilarious that I can evoke pretty deep emotional responses by watching cartoons. There's something there I just don't get from other sources of entertainment.
Perhaps it has something to do with the style (broadly speaking) of anime. The huge eyes, hyper exaggerated facial expressions, the massive streams of tears rolling down faces and dripping off the chins. It's like a giant club of emotions come to batter one over the head with critical feels damage. It's so good. I don't care how much the best live action actor can fake a cry, it's nothing next to watching some loli loose her stuff on screen.

Out of curiosity, is there a thread on the forum for first animes/why do folks watch anime? I'd be interested in reading other folks' experiences. Well it is the weekend so I'll probably do some digging and poke through some more posts looking for interesting tid-bits.

DestroyerGX
I Bleed Anime

Postby DestroyerGX » Sat Aug 26, 2017 8:13 am

Scribblenog wrote:
BlueSpark wrote:My introduction to anime pretty much consisted of 3 shows that were airing on German TV about 16 years ago: DragonBall Z, Case Closedand Ramna 1/2.

Oh, sweet Ranma. That's an anime that sparks some delightful nostalgia. I remember that being one of the anime I got hooked on way back when.
One of my upperclassmen, who supplied my nascent anime addiction in highscool, slipped a couple of VHS tapes full of Ranma in with my regular dosage of giant robots and magical ninjas.
Around the same time I also got my hands on Maison Ikkoku and Yurusei Yatsura. Between drama, romance and fan service harems I very quickly shifted my interest from explosive space battles to rom-coms.
I don't think my seniors were expecting that but it kicked of a flood of titles heading my way that weren't the typical viewing fare of the average teen boy.

BlueSpark wrote:Well, fast forward a couple of years, and you could see me bawl my eyes out at the ending of Air. That's something I feel anime does incredibly well...

The feels...sweet leaping monkeys the feels. I can relate to that.
I can always get a good sniffle every time I hear a few bars of Secret Base and picture the last ten minutes of Anohana. Even hearing Dango Daikazoku will choke me up.
I don't even know why this happens and I find it hilarious that I can evoke pretty deep emotional responses by watching cartoons. There's something there I just don't get from other sources of entertainment.
Perhaps it has something to do with the style (broadly speaking) of anime. The huge eyes, hyper exaggerated facial expressions, the massive streams of tears rolling down faces and dripping off the chins. It's like a giant club of emotions come to batter one over the head with critical feels damage. It's so good. I don't care how much the best live action actor can fake a cry, it's nothing next to watching some loli loose her stuff on screen.

Out of curiosity, is there a thread on the forum for first animes/why do folks watch anime? I'd be interested in reading other folks' experiences. Well it is the weekend so I'll probably do some digging and poke through some more posts looking for interesting tid-bits.

Agreed with both of you guys. There's something about anime that releases all those tears. For me, it started with the original Kanon 2002 anime, flawed as it was. I don't choke up as much as I used to when I hear those songs, but they still hit unexepectedly.

As for your question, Scribblenog, here is a very old topic about how people got into anime: viewtopic.php?f=5&t=41

Scribblenog
I Like Anime

Postby Scribblenog » Sat Aug 26, 2017 9:40 am

DestroyerGX wrote:As for your question, Scribblenog, here is a very old topic about how people got into anime: viewtopic.php?f=5&t=41

Ah, thank you and much obliged DestroyerGX. I've never actually seen the first Kanon series. The later remake though was pretty fantastic. That Makoto arc...oof...hurts so good.

BlueSpark
Anime Junky

Postby BlueSpark » Mon Aug 28, 2017 4:35 am

Scribblenog wrote:Around the same time I also got my hands on Maison Ikkoku and Yurusei Yatsura.
Thanks for reminding me: Maison Ikkoku was actually the second anime that I watched in its entirety. That series as well as Love Hina were advertised in the Ranma 1/2 manga collection my brother had bought. And from there, I kinda googled for romance anime suggestions, checking out forum threads and such. Which, strangely enough, brought up titles such as Azumanga Daioh or Eden of the East – or, on a somewhat disturbing note, When they Cry. Yes, I'm at least 95% sure somebody suggested that anime in a romance recommendation thread. Some people sure are twisted...

Scribblenog wrote:I can always get a good sniffle every time I hear a few bars of Secret Base and picture the last ten minutes of Anohana. Even hearing Dango Daikazoku will choke me up.
Yup, the power of a sweet song reminding you of a highly emotional show definitely packs a punch. anohana does that for me with both its opening and ending theme, though it's one of those cases where I need to hear (or read) the lyrics to get the full effect. In regards to Clannad, the strongest title for me is "The Place Where Wishes Come True II" (although I appreciate the Dango Family song, too). I don't think there is another purely instrumental song that makes me cry without fail every time I turn it on. Also, "A Moon Filled Sky" from Ef – A Tale of Melodies gets me pretty often (brings back those pictures of Yuko...).

DestroyerGX wrote:There's something about anime that releases all those tears.
Scribblenog wrote:The huge eyes, hyper exaggerated facial expressions, the massive streams of tears rolling down faces and dripping off the chins. It's like a giant club of emotions come to batter one over the head with critical feels damage.
Yeah, those big tear streams definitely are an effective artistic tool. However, there are also numerous gripping scenes out there which pull it off without any on-screen tears. Just thinking of Ef – A Tale of Memories, the climaxes of both story arcs exemplify this: Miyako's and Hiro's dragged-out phone call which turns unbearably desperate towards the end, and Renji's fervent speech to Chihiro which shatters her chain bit by bit.

I'd say in these cases, it's mainly the voice-acting which sells the gravity of the characters' emotions to the viewer: The sheer intensity of it (and I'm only talking about the English dub, which is probably a lot 'tamer' than the Japanese original) would probably make it sound cheesy in a live-action film, but for the anime medium, it just fits. Apart from that, the visual imagery of the chain in Chihiro's case also helps.

Scribblenog wrote:That Makoto arc...oof...hurts so good.
This also nicely illustrates how multiple watchings of a drama show can pay dividents for the viewer's experience: Not although, but because you already know the outcome of a given story arc, it can get you more invested (read: emotionally wrecked) much earlier. I swear, from my first rewatch of Kanon (It's been 3 by now), that moment Makoto drops her chopsticks -> my eyes: ::terrible::. Hers was also my favorite arc in the series. And then they tease you with that final scene in the episode 10 epilogue, just before the ED :/.

Since we kinda landed on the topic, how about we share our favorite moment(s) from each Key adaptation (besides Rewrite, which I haven't seen)? Properly spoiler-tagged as appropriate, of course.

DestroyerGX
I Bleed Anime

Postby DestroyerGX » Mon Aug 28, 2017 4:07 pm

BlueSpark wrote:
Since we kinda landed on the topic, how about we share our favorite moment(s) from each Key adaptation (besides Rewrite, which I haven't seen)? Properly spoiler-tagged as appropriate, of course.

Sure, but let's start it on the anime forum. In fact, I want to start up a anime thread on all things Key, discussing anything on the anime adaptations and original works of Key: a bit similar to Kazamatsuri's forum, but in miniature.

Scribblenog
I Like Anime

Postby Scribblenog » Mon Aug 28, 2017 9:50 pm

I'm up for it. Trying to think of particular scenes in Key animes was actually really difficult. While I can point to things in Clannad and Kanon pretty easily, I haven't been able to find Air on forever.
With Angel Beats and Little Busters, I've only seen those through once a piece and that was a while ago. My memory on them is fuzzy to say the least. I could really use a rewatch.