User Reviews

Current and Classic Animation!
SethAmaha
Anime Junky

Re: User Reviews

Postby SethAmaha » Mon Jun 25, 2018 6:37 am

You're pretty much on point. As a viewer, you want to get the most story out of the series but f you just want to casually watch a good show, just skip the first, its not completely necessary unless you want more info.

Fullmetal-Senpai
Otaku

Postby Fullmetal-Senpai » Mon Jun 25, 2018 1:56 pm

BlueSpark wrote:
Fullmetal-Senpai wrote:Sound/Music - The soundtrack is perfectly crafted for setting the tone of this series. Its dark, somber, and makes you question what you're looking at. All the while the score brings out the emotions of the cast as they express what may very well be conflicting information. It truly helped me get a better understanding of this peculiar series once you understand that these characters are capable of lying to you, the viewer.
I'm wondering: When I recently watched the 1st episode of Lain, it felt to me like the series barely used any background music at all. At least I noticed a lot of silences. Which, as far as I'm concerned, actually suited the show rather well by creating an unsettling mood.

The lack of constant tone is actually a strength of the atmosphere of lain. I hole heatedly support the notion of less being more in certain circumstances, lain being one of them. A lot of ambient noise could leave the viewer uncomfortable which is what the first few episodes are meant for. That being said I like that high concept thoughty stuff. So I may just be looking too far into it. It's kinda my specialty.

SethAmaha wrote:You're pretty much on point. As a viewer, you want to get the most story out of the series but f you just want to casually watch a good show, just skip the first, its not completely necessary unless you want more info.

If you take views like that to their logical extreme then you wind up with people saying "read the source or you haven't seen it" I personally, 9/10 times, prefer the source to the anime. It usually feels better in the "intended format" but others don't think so.

SethAmaha
Anime Junky

Postby SethAmaha » Tue Jun 26, 2018 4:36 am

Fullmetal-Senpai wrote:If you take views like that to their logical extreme then you wind up with people saying "read the source or you haven't seen it" I personally, 9/10 times, prefer the source to the anime. It usually feels better in the "intended format" but others don't think so.

Well for the most part, most source material tend to be better than the anime , especially nowadays, just due to bad direction or because something is just missing from the anime that the manga has. The few exceptions to this rule is even then debatable since everyone has their preferences. With WA1 though i hated the show, I'm unable to say anything about the VN since I've never played it but considering the WA2 was made as a sequel then the logical conclusion must be that WA1 the VN was a great story and the anime just had bad directors on staff.

Fullmetal-Senpai
Otaku

Postby Fullmetal-Senpai » Tue Sep 18, 2018 4:46 pm

Bump

Fullmetal-Senpai
Otaku

Postby Fullmetal-Senpai » Tue Sep 18, 2018 5:39 pm

I'll use this thread to spin the wheels on an idea that I've been having. Reviewing anime studios on the whole. For my first Studio I'll Choose

Studio SHAFT.

History:Shaft was founded on September 1, 1975 by Hiroshi Wakao, who previously worked at Mushi Pro. The company was founded to paint the animation but later worked on animation production as a subcontractor. They were able to produce their own first original series, Yume kara, Samenai (夢から、さめない Yume kara, Samenai) in 1987.

In 2000, after Shaft cooperated with Gainax to produce a DVD special of remastered Gunbuster, they were in joint production with Gainax to produce Mahoromatic, This Ugly and Beautiful World, and He is My Master. After Hiroshi Wakao's retirement in 2004, Kubota Mitsutoshi has become Shaft's representative director. Their painting group has also been downsized in order to strengthen their digital group. Since then, Shaft's productions have been mostly solo productions without major involvements of other studios. (stolen From Here)

Thoughts: Shaft is a studio with a long history that really came into their own after the bubble burst and since then have never really been a miss for me. Series that I never thought I would be interested in, series with traps, tropes, word play, lolis, "art house" drivel, and keep me engaged from beginning to end.

Shaft is a studio with a love for the avant garde, and experimenting with style in a way other studios shy away from. You could point a Shaft anime out of a line up 10/10 times if you've ever seen one.

Some examples of the fabled HEAD TILT
Spoiler:

Some Avant garde proof
Spoiler:

Some openings to wet the pallet
Spoiler:
phpBB [video]

phpBB [video]

phpBB [video]

Final: Shaft is a studio that has done a lot of work that I really enjoy i.e; monogatari, Madoka Magica, Sayonara zetsubo sensei, Fate extra (ok, so im a type moonie.) arakawa under the bridge, and Maria Holic. They really interest me, to the point where no matter what they put out I'll give it the old college try. I feel that shaft is vitally necessary to prove that high concept works can and do work. Its not a stretch to call Shaft one of the best releasing studios out there. I give them a very solid 8/10.

Companion Kyuubey
Crazy About Anime

Postby Companion Kyuubey » Wed Sep 19, 2018 9:10 am

Good stuff, Fullmetal.

I'm always looking forward to Shaft's next projects as well. They consistently make shows that I just love watching. One of their newest adaptations, March Comes in Like a Lion, became my favorite anime after it's 2nd season. The kind of style they that they largely started with their experimental hiring of Akiyuki Shinbo for Tsukuyomi: Moon Phase and has only been ingrained with his students taking that style and adding their own twist to them. I even ended up loving Gourmet Girl Graffiti despite everything working against it. I just love Shaft so much! ::happy::
My Anime List /人◕ ‿‿ ◕人\My Figure Collection/人◕ ‿‿ ◕人\ Anime Arcade
“Let me never fall into the vulgar mistake of dreaming that I am persecuted whenever I am contradicted.” -Ralph Waldo Emerson, 1838

Ayuu
Otaku

Postby Ayuu » Wed Sep 19, 2018 3:31 pm

I really like shaft and haven't watched anything from them I haven't at least enjoyed. I think my least favorite show I've watched from them was Sasami-san. It was a little too over the top and a bit confusing. Still appreciated the visuals it had though. They have a distinct style that I think they've worked and enhanced over the years. It's interesting going back and watching their older stuff, you can see their roots and the hints of what they've built up to. I'm currently watching through Hidamari Sketch, another show that I think will make its way up my favorites list as I watch through it. ::peace::

BlueSpark
Otaku

Postby BlueSpark » Thu Sep 20, 2018 1:54 am

I'll join the chrous and say that I've made mostly good experiences with Shaft works. Besides what fullmetal has mentioned, they've also produced some great titles in my genre neighborhood, notably Shuffle!, Nisekoi and of course my all-time favorite, ef - A Tale of Memories & Melodies. And I'm not even someone who pays much attention to the visuals, one supposed strong point of Shaft's (although those dotted backgrounds in some of their series do inevitably stand out in the beginning, before you get used to the style and don't notice them anymore).
Know a decent number of anime characters? Check out my forum game!

SethAmaha
Anime Junky

Postby SethAmaha » Thu Sep 20, 2018 3:48 am

I for one generally enjoy most of Shaft's works. I like their portrayal of characters and I do like their special style of constant scene changes. The reason they usually do that is because they like stories that are super dialogue heavy and doing those changes gives them the opportunity to distract the viewer long enough to get through so much dialogue while at the same time getting the information out there. Unlike Chris and Andrew, I actually get a kick out the head tilts as well. I like to play a game to see how long I can go in a Saft show before the first head tilt (or in the case of MekakuCity Actors on Crunchyroll, you get it on the Episode 1 thumbnail before you even get to watch it.

Fullmetal-Senpai
Otaku

Postby Fullmetal-Senpai » Thu Sep 20, 2018 6:51 pm

Its time for the second studio, I think its time for one that I'm not so overwhelmingly positive on.

Studio bones was created in the wake of Cowboy Bebop (Maybe you've heard of it) by character designer Toshihiro Kawamoto, animator Hiroshi Osaka, and producer Masahiko Minami left studio Sunrise months after Bebop was complete. Just like that Minami was now president of an animation company. To get traction, by some magic, or someone selling their soul, Bones was tasked to work on the Cowboy Bebop movie, Who did they bring in to animate such a beast of a movie? Well quite possibly the best animator in the scene, Yutaka Nakamura.
Heres some of the masters work.
Spoiler:
phpBB [video]

phpBB [video]

phpBB [video]

phpBB [video]

After his work on bebop he was contracted to studio bones full time, and his presence in the company seems to never be a bad thing. Because of his status he's given more freedom inside of his cuts which is why most believe studio bones is one of the best Sakuga studios with little to sway them away.

Now this isnt specific to Nakamura inside Bones. Minami (remember the president of bones) said that he wants people to do what they want to do. If you dont want to draw a certain scene over and over for days on end than inside bones youre seemingly free to do something else so long as it is avaliable. This allowed freedom gives people a reason to always care about what theyre doing, at least in theory.

Sorry, did I say that I wasnt overwhelmingly positive on this studio? Well I lied. Bones is yet again a studio that I'm always interested in seeing. Narratively they arent the strongest studio, looking at you Ouran, or gosick, or concrete revolutio, but they are however a joy to watch grow and unfold. I feel like they deserve a bigger score, however all the animation in the world cant save you from bad writing on original works. its with a heavy heart that I give Studio Bones a 7/10.