432) Best Anime of 2018 Deliberations Part 4

Talk about the Podcast!
Andrew
Site Admin

432) Best Anime of 2018 Deliberations Part 4

Postby Andrew » Fri Jan 04, 2019 8:59 pm

The 2018 Anime Year has come to a close and it’s time for the hosts of the Otaku Spirit Animecast to tackle the age old question of which is best. Join them in this 4 part series as they run through each genre, best of topics, seasonal picks, and finally the best of the year!

Please note: Deliberation episodes are intended to be nearly unfiltered and lightly edited. These were recorded over hours of deliberations and, while a bit of dead air was removed, it may have points of silence. This isn’t a reflection of our typical podcast episodes that are heavily edited for better listening experience.

Deliberations covered in this episode: Biggest Surprise, Best Girl, Best Boy, Cutest Character, Seasonal Picks, and Best of 2018.

The opening for this episode is the OP2 for March Comes In Like A Lion 2 called “Haru ga Kite Bokura” by UNISON SQUARE GARDEN. The closing for this episode is the ED for SSSS GRIDMAN called “youthful beautiful” by Maaya Uchida. After the closing we play the Hungry Wolf song from Hinamatsuri sung by Anzu.

We hope you all enjoy!
http://otakuspirit.com/2019/01/animecas ... ns-part-4/
Keep Connected to OtakuSpirit: YouTube, Facebook, iTunes, Twitter, MyAnimeList
Fate Grand Order: Tsubaki 554,837,694

BlueSpark
I Bleed Anime

Re: 432) Best Anime of 2018 Deliberations Part 4

Postby BlueSpark » Mon Jan 07, 2019 2:47 am

I wonder how long I'd live if I called Ichigo best girl of the season ;). Well, she's not, but I honestly liked both her and Zero-Two, same as you guys. However, I was firmly rooting for Zero-Two and Hiro's relationship all throughout the series.

At this point, anyone who has followed my posts won't be surprised that Darling in the FranXX is far and away my #1 surprise hit of this year. Hinamatsuri and Chio's School Road are strong contenders, but I had at least some expectations for both of them from the start. With Darling, I anticipated what I always anticipate from mecha animes: very little, because it simply isn't my genre. And then, the show proceeded to blow my mind.

I totally second you on Emil from How NOT to Summon a Demon Lord. The guy was just so likeable :). Oftentimes, womanizers in anime come across as the opposite. But he showed the spirit of a knight through and through. What if there was a spin-off centered on him episodically helping out different women? I think I could get behind that :].

And yes, Anzu is absolutely the girl you want to protect and cherish forever. I think most of us have at least a decent idea of how stressful and frustrating it can be to raise a child. But seeing this fictional sweetheart girl kind of makes you wish for a 2D daughter, doesn't it? Just cross your fingers she doesn't turn out like Hina.
Know a decent number of anime characters? Check out my forum game!

fragoff
I Bleed Anime

Postby fragoff » Mon Jan 07, 2019 8:01 am

I still believe hinamatsuri was the surprised gem of the year. Darling was a very good show, but you could expect something good from the synopsis. Hinamatsuri was looking to be another random comedy show that would be a hit or miss. But it went all konosuba on us.
"Tolerance is the lube that helps slip the didlo of dysfunction into the neko of a civilized society" -Plato

BlueSpark
I Bleed Anime

Postby BlueSpark » Mon Jan 07, 2019 8:48 am

fragoff wrote:Darling was a very good show, but you could expect something good from the synopsis.
See, there's the difference: I did not expect something good from the synopsis. Because it was about large fighting robots, and those tend not to entertain me. I checked the series out purely on a whim because I heard there was some big controversy around it. Otherwise, I never would've touched it. Hence my labeling it as my biggest surprise hit.

For Hinamatsuri, on the other hand, it was presented as a goofy comedy, and I can usually derive at least some enjoyment from that. It all hinges on your perspective, on your tastes and preferences. I can see your angle on it perfectly fine, though - nobody would've expected the intense feels that Anzu-chan would bring upon us, or the endearing quasi-parental bond between Niita and Hina, or the adorable woes of growing up that Hitomi goes through. In the end, both were amazing animes.
Know a decent number of anime characters? Check out my forum game!