Favorite Bookshelves

Everything Else!
JaredScott5
I Like Anime

Favorite Bookshelves

Postby JaredScott5 » Mon May 27, 2019 5:28 pm

Call it a first-world problem, but I often find it a challenge to find that perfect book shelf. It seems that even the more expensive ones tend to look bland or stuffy; or, in some cases, they hardly hold anything.

The best shelves I've encountered so far under $100 are the Stratford Rustic 5-Shelf Bookcases https://www.biglots.com/product/rustic-5-shelf-bookcase/p810343917 that are sold at Big Lots. The BH&G brand has some good ones as well, but I don't think they can hold as many items as the Stratford. My only issue with using Stratford is that you MUST have book-ends. Even with those it can be difficult to arrange your items without everything spilling over.
::shocked::

Overall, I enjoy the Stratford brand, but I'd like to hear what ya'll use before I invest in anymore shelves in the upcoming months.

---EDIT---
If ya'll are interested, there's an interesting article on how to double the amount of books you store on any shelf. You can use better materials, but I love the idea http://mike.creuzer.com/2009/01/diy-homemade-bookshelf-risers-for-2-levels-of-books.html
Last edited by JaredScott5 on Mon May 27, 2019 7:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Fullmetal-Senpai
Otaku

Re: Favorite Bookshelves

Postby Fullmetal-Senpai » Mon May 27, 2019 6:59 pm

The best bookshelves in my opinion are the ikea ones. I'll find a link.

https://m2.ikea.com/us/en/p/billy-bookcase-black-brown-s19020475/

These, but any in the "billy" line will get the job done

JaredScott5
I Like Anime

Postby JaredScott5 » Mon May 27, 2019 7:10 pm

Fullmetal-Senpai wrote:The best bookshelves in my opinion are the ikea ones. I'll find a link.

https://m2.ikea.com/us/en/p/billy-bookcase-black-brown-s19020475/

These, but any in the "billy" line will get the job done

I'd forgot about these. Probably the one set of IKEA products that got my attention due to the space. TBH I care too much for their style though >_<

Eira
Anime Junky

Postby Eira » Tue May 28, 2019 12:36 am

JaredScott5 wrote:Call it a first-world problem, but I often find it a challenge to find that perfect book shelf.

I gotta agree, I also face this problem a bunch. The ones fullmetal posted do seem really nice, I just wish I had the money to buy some better bookshelves, at the moment I'm content enough with my current one but it can't fit everything I have and so I still have 6 boxes in my wardrobe full of Manga, Anime, and games.

At this point I've relegated those boxes to the shadow realm of my mind and think I'll hold off on getting more shelves till when I move out, which should be in a year or two, if things go to plan.
Everything I say is in relation to me, objectivity doesn't exist.

MAL: https://myanimelist.net/profile/Eira_99
Feel free to add me on Discord for more chat form discussions: One True Eira#1560

JaredScott5
I Like Anime

Postby JaredScott5 » Tue May 28, 2019 10:06 am

Eira wrote:
JaredScott5 wrote:Call it a first-world problem, but I often find it a challenge to find that perfect book shelf.

I gotta agree, I also face this problem a bunch. The ones fullmetal posted do seem really nice, I just wish I had the money to buy some better bookshelves, at the moment I'm content enough with my current one but it can't fit everything I have and so I still have 6 boxes in my wardrobe full of Manga, Anime, and games.

At this point I've relegated those boxes to the shadow realm of my mind and think I'll hold off on getting more shelves till when I move out, which should be in a year or two, if things go to plan.

Considering how easy it is to run out of room, I started buying a lot of reading material digitally. If I like it enough to reread it several times, then I go buy a physical copy. It's actually helped out a lot.

The way you're thinking ahead about the move is smart. Even though I didn't have a lot during my most recent move, it was a lot more work than I expected. I'm actually easing my way into minimalism to see if I can't cut back on the clutter. It should also help with saving a little money too I think.

Eira
Anime Junky

Postby Eira » Wed May 29, 2019 12:28 am

JaredScott5 wrote:
Eira wrote:At the moment I'm content enough with my current one but it can't fit everything I have and so I still have 6 boxes in my wardrobe full of Manga, Anime, and games. I've relegated those boxes to the shadow realm of my mind and think I'll hold off on getting more shelves till when I move out, which should be in a year or two, if things go to plan.
Considering how easy it is to run out of room, I started buying a lot of reading material digitally. If I like it enough to reread it several times, then I go buy a physical copy. It's actually helped out a lot. The way you're thinking ahead about the move is smart.

I've considered going digital but tbh I'm just not a big fan of digital only media. I've come to terms with things like music and steam games because it's the only practical way to consume those things now. But in terms of things like console games and books I prefer physical media. I like having everything lined up on a shelf and being able to look at it or hold it.

Even though it costs both more money and more space to do things this way, I just prefer it. I have been moving towards digital with manga slowly, but I'm really only okay with it when it's something like the shonen jump app, where it's a subscription, cause then I can use the same mindset I use for anime. Where I consume it legally and then buy it permanently if I want to. But in terms of buying e-book, that's a big no for me.
Everything I say is in relation to me, objectivity doesn't exist.

MAL: https://myanimelist.net/profile/Eira_99
Feel free to add me on Discord for more chat form discussions: One True Eira#1560