Genre discussion

Current and Classic Animation!
Neko
Jii-San

Re: Genre discussion

Postby Neko » Fri Feb 19, 2016 10:05 am

Mys145 wrote:Here's the problem about all of this discussion: Japanese don't really have genre splits like we do. They really only have shounen, shoujo, seinin, and josei which are really demographics not genres. For example, Azumanga Daioh is classified as a seinin.

I was curious about this, so I asked my friend Asao in Japan about it. Here is the short exchange

Hello, Asao! I have another Japanese culture question for you, if I may be so bold.
When discussing media (Television, movies, books, manga) is there as much of a tendency in Japan to divide things into Genres (Horror, romance, comedy) as there is here in the United States? Thank you in advance.

Hi,Marc! Yes,
We have Genres same as US
I think big difference is in Comedy. I see Comedy on TV most time ,

JackTWD4th
Crazy About Anime

Postby JackTWD4th » Fri Feb 19, 2016 2:19 pm

The "Slice of Life" line is crossed when the viewer is jerked out of their complacency. That's of course is dependant on the baggage or lack thereof of said viewer. You can say it's whatever genre with slice of life elements (hot springs or beach eps) or you can say it's whatever genre for 4 eps and then slice of life for 3 eps and then back to whatever genre for the final 5 eps. It can depend on how much a disruption it is to the viewer depending on how long a cour lasts (12 eps vs. 24 eps).

SemiBolt
Anime Junky

Postby SemiBolt » Tue Feb 23, 2016 7:54 pm

That remind me.
Someone told me that things such as Shounen, Shojo, seinen etc are actually art styles but everyone addresses them as genres. Can anyone confirm this? .-.
If they are just a art style then that would make a lot of sense.

Neko
Jii-San

Postby Neko » Tue Feb 23, 2016 8:36 pm

SemiBolt wrote:That remind me.
Someone told me that things such as Shounen, Shojo, seinen etc are actually art styles but everyone addresses them as genres. Can anyone confirm this? .-.
If they are just a art style then that would make a lot of sense.

They actually refer to demographic market segments in publishing. Shounen: Boys from grade school to about 18. Shojo Girls in a similar age range. Seinen: Men into their 50s. Josei: women past the age of 20. Of course they have all come to have visual and narrative styles associated with them, so it gets a bit hard to tease apart after awhile :)

Chris
Site Co-Founder

Postby Chris » Tue Feb 23, 2016 8:48 pm

yeah i was gonna say the same thing but it looks like neko pretty much hit what i was gonna say. there is a difference in art styles. but its generally more detail in the attractive characters. if there is more detail in the males its generally a shojo and visversa. that is a general rule not something set in stone. especially now as the trends seento be shifting and shows are blending more and more. josei and senin are in a their own world josei tends to be softer in character art and senin is more of a dark shonen style.

if i was pressed for a choice i would automatically choose shojo art style but that is only due to its emphsis to detail. but shonen tends to be more aesthetically pleasing. though for storytelling i would always lean to a josei style of storytelling. i would venture a guess that andrew would lean to a senin style of story.

all have they're strengths. and all have they're weakneses.

Neko
Jii-San

Postby Neko » Sun Feb 28, 2016 5:29 pm

This looks like Slice of life to me...

phpBB [video]

Tori
Super NEET II

Postby Tori » Sun Feb 28, 2016 5:34 pm

Neko wrote:This looks like Slice of life to me...

phpBB [video]

I would agree, then I saw it being tagged psychological. Now I'm curious....
ON EXTENDED HIATUS
SEE YOU IN DISCORD

Imagehttp://myanimelist.net/animelist/ToriXtra

Fullmetal-Senpai
Otaku

Postby Fullmetal-Senpai » Sun Sep 16, 2018 12:16 pm

Necromancy successful.

Chris
Site Co-Founder

Postby Chris » Sun Sep 16, 2018 3:31 pm

buu should have added to the conversation. it just looks like i would be replying to myself now

BlueSpark
I Bleed Anime

Postby BlueSpark » Mon Sep 17, 2018 2:30 am

Fullmetal-Senpai wrote:Necromancy successful.
Very low-key - it's almost like nobody even noticed ;).

Alright, time to lay down my thoughts on the slice-of-life concept (and add on some stray thoughts about genre categorizations in general).

Chris wrote:the root of the problem is that slice of life conflicts with anything that is not slice of life.
I'd only halfway agree with that. In my mind, slice of life mixes pretty well with romance and drama in most cases. Sports, too, if you want to call that a full-fledged genre (which is debatable). But yeah, it's mutually exclusive with a lot of other genres.

Generally, I've always seen 2 different applications of the term "slife of life": as a genre and as a setting. Tori summed up the idea of the former - SoL as a genre - quite nicely:
Tori wrote:To me SoL anime has always been shows that focus on the characters and their lives. As long as that is the focus it's a SoL anime to me.
I very much agree with this, although I'd add an additional stipulation: To me, slife of life means showcasing a (or several) character's ordinary life. Of course, something extraordinary happens to any person now and again, so that's certainly allowed. But if you stretch it too far and call Yuki Yuna a slife-of-life show (taking Neko's example here), then you open up the door to call almost any anime series a SoL, which defeats the purpose.
Neko wrote:Why call a show 'Fantasy Slice of Life"? Well if it's a show like Monster Musume, the whole hook is everyday life with monster girls. So everyday live, but monster girls. The whole joke is that this bunch f monster girls have to deal with mundane day-today stuff.
This is mostly a good example, although I have trouble fully categorizing Monster Musume as a slife of life (full English title of the show notwithstanding) because the harem situation is pretty out of the ordinary. A more fitting example, in my mind, would be A Centaur's Life. Once you take the world of that anime for granted, everything that happens is just a calm and ordinary slice of the characters' lives.

Now, Neko outlined a nice definition of what I regard as SoL as a setting:
Neko wrote:Then there is how grounded in reality they are, from something with absolutely no supernatural elements
This. Basically 100% realistic. This would obviously disqualify anything in the "magical realism" realm such as Kanon, but Love, Chunibyo & Other Delusions! would work, even though what the characters actually do in that show is far from ordinary (see definition 1). This perspective on slice of life would notably include most shoujo romance series.

Now, I could pose that only animes which qualify for both of the above restrictions are 'true' SoL. But that would be incredibly limiting, to the point that there might only be a handful of applicable shows out there. The idea reminds me of studio Ghibli's Only Yesterday, which I sadly found rather boring. So perhaps it's for the best that we don't really see many "true" slice-of-life animes like that.

Logan wrote:As for Snow White with the Red Hair, I don't view it as Slice of Life. It is first and foremost a romance and then a drama.
That's my take on it, too. Wherever possible, I prefer to categorize shows by 1 primary and 1 secondary genre.
So yes, Snow White would be a dramatic romance for me. Or a fantasy romance if you throw fantasy into the genre bucket instead of keeping it separate as a setting.
On the flipside, ef - A Tale of Memories is a romantic drama because the drama portion is so much more pronounced.
For series like Date a Live, I'd say harem comedy (or comedy harem) - that is if we want to include harem as a proper genre in the first place.

Lastly, this approach also challenges the use of the oft-employed term "romantic comedy" in certain cases. Specifically, I've heard people call Mysterious Girlfriend X a romantic comedy. I was honestly perplexed; I just don't see it. The show hardly has any comedy to it. If anything, I'd call it a comedic romance, although even that seems like a stretch to me; I don't see any strong secondary genre in that anime, so I'd classify it as a 'pure' romance.
Know a decent number of anime characters? Check out my forum game!