Hi!

Let us get to know you!
MojaveRena
I Like Anime

Hi!

Postby MojaveRena » Tue Apr 24, 2018 2:26 am

Hello there, I'm a 24 year old guy originally from Bristol in the west of England but now I live in the south of Italy.
I am quite new to watching anime in 2015 after randomly finding "Fairy Tail" on a streaming site, and then I was hooked on anime.

I've been listening to the Otaku Spirit podcast for about 3 months now and I really look forward to listening to what Chris and Andrew discuss about and hearing their thoughts on anime. My first Otaku Spirit podcast I found was "Workplace Anime" while I was searching for something completely different, but there was something interesting about your logo of Azusa from K-On that made me forget what I was doing and listen to your podcast. I quickly found your site and here I am. (There is another part to this, I promise to tell everyone later)

What I personally love about your podcasts is how positive you are! I am sure there are other podcasts out there who are positive but yours was the first podcast I found that focused on being positive. Also I like how you don't give spoilers during your podcasts except when stated with a warning beforehand so I can just skip ahead.

I decided to join because I believe I have found a more positive community. People seem genuinely friendly here compared to my previous experiences with other anime-related sites...

My username comes from the location setting one of my favourite games, Fallout New Vegas (the Mojave desert in the USA), and my favourite character from one of my favourite anime, Rena Ryuuguu from the Higurashi series. I dunno, the name kinda stuck. (Mojave is pronunced like 'Mo-hah-vee' in the game in case you were wondering.)

---

Favourite anime and manga or anime studio?
I really have a connection with the Higurashi series, there's something about it I can't put my finger on that I really like.
My other favourite animes are; Non Non Biyori, Black Lagoon, Girl's Last Tour, Haganai, Yuru Camp, Steins Gate, WorldEnd and Welcome to the NHK. Heaven's Lost Property is one of my favourite anime I can watch at any time.
I don't have a favourite manga in particular but my first ever manga was Corpse Party Musume... so I had an 'interesting' start to reading manga.
I love anime made by Key, there has never been an anime made by them I didn't like.

Favourite genres?
Comedy, Seinen, Drama and Horror.
I don't have a genre I dislike. I am also very fond of Iyashikei (Healing) anime that make you feel relaxed.

Favourite games?
Atelier Rorona, Valkyria Chronicles and Fallout New Vegas (of course). I like games like the Atelier series because they are very peaceful games to play. The Fallout series I instantly liked because I games that you can go anywhere you want (The Elder Scrolls series is the same too). And Valkyria Chronicles is just awesome, enough said.
Honourable mentions include; Euro Truck Simulator 2, Condemned 2 and My Summer Car. Just ask me and I might have played the game you suggest.

Favourite TV shows or films?
I like older comedy TV shows like Dad's Army or Father Ted, and also action shows like The A-Team.
For films, I like parody films like Airplane or Hotshots. I also like most of the Carry On films. I like the sense of humour in older shows compared to modern comedy, not sure why.

Favourite Youtuber?
Life of Boris has to be my favourite, he has a unique sense of humour that is infectious in my opinion. He also cares for his fans which is sometimes rare to see on Youtube.
Geography Now is another fave, as a geography nerd myself I do tend to smile knowingly while watching his videos, sometimes correcting him gently when he sometimes get things wrong.

Dub or Sub? = Both, but I'm more of a dub fan if I had to make a decision. (Mainly due to hate comments from elitists that made me stop watching subbed anime in the past... now it's different.)
As I said, I used to get a lot of hate comments from users on other forum boards about this, so I decided to keep away from subbed anime and certain forum boards in general. I still feel shy using forums because of this reason, I hope people here can accept me and maybe we can get along?
These days, I no longer care what language the anime is in, I also watch anime made in China or Korea, some can be very good.
Oh, and I LOVE talking about English dub actors and Japanese Voice actors too, again just ask me anything you like. Seriously, I sometimes geek out about certain voice actors too much.. (Brittney Karbowski and Yui Horie predominantly but I have many others)

---

Other Random Stuff

I am currently studying how to read Kanji and I am now at the JLPT L2 at kanji recognition (985+- Kanji in total of JLPT L5, L4, L3 and L2 kanji combined), I'm currently studying the JLPT L1 kanji but there are over 1170 of them (plus around 700+- kanji only used in names) so it will take quite some time... I can read Hiragana and Katagana. I can't write kanji however...
I can speak a little bit of Japanese myself in real-life, I try to focus on the vowel sounds more since they only have one sound compared to their English counterparts. I have no problem pronouncing consonants however.

I think I am one of the few who prefered the Alfheim Online arc of Sword Art Online instead of the first arc... mainly because of Leafa.

I didn't like Nichijou so much and yet I really liked Pop Team Epic. Odd as both anime have a similar surreal sense of humour... Maybe I should try Nichijou again?

I have the world's slowest internet connection so please forgive me if I don't reply in time. I live in a rural enough area that my Wifi only works when it wants to.

I often spend too much time on sites like TVTropes or Behind the Voice Actors, hours have gone by just browsing through all the facts I can eat up.

I make my own beer at home, so you can have a chat with me about homebrew if you want. I also brew my own cider, mead and wine. I know this is not a homebrew forum but I enjoy telling people about my hobbies.

I have been unlucky with most of the popular anime I wanted to watch because they have all been spoiled. One of the shows I really wanted to watch was "Clannad After Story" but thanks to a major spoiler, I couldn't enjoy it as much as I thought I would. It's a huge shame but what can we do?

On a positive note, I believe anime has the power to bring people together, not just people from different countries who speak different languages but also people with disabilities or personal problems such as depression or anxiety. What do you think?

---

Anyway, thank you for reading my long and somewhat random introduction. ::blush::
Oh, if you want to know what anime I have watched, you can click on my Anilist account in my signature.

Also.... a MASSIVE thank you to Andrew who helped me with my account creation. If I can ever return the favour, just let me know.
Last edited by MojaveRena on Thu Jun 07, 2018 1:42 pm, edited 3 times in total.

BlueSpark
Anime Junky

Re: Hi!

Postby BlueSpark » Tue Apr 24, 2018 4:19 am

Oh boy, that's a mighty long post. Which is a good thing as far as I'm concerned. Gives a pretty detailed impression of you as a person :).

Welcome to the den of good-natured forum-dwellers that is Otaku Spirit! The positivity displayed by Andrew and Chris towards the anime medium is the reason most people decide to join our community. I can confidently say it was the same for me.

I'm a little intimidated by the sheer amount of anime you've watched in only 3 years. Well, good on you :]. I tend to rewatch shows that I really liked, in some cases several times. Plus I spend a lot of time on gaming, so there's that.

I take it your avatar is a picture of Rena? I really didn't recognize her at first... Maybe it's just been too long since I watched the series (for the 2nd time - yes, I quite enjoyed it, too).

MojaveRena wrote:I love anime made by Key, there has never been an anime made by them I didn't like.
Ohhh, so we have another prospective acolyte for our cult 8-). As a dedicated drama lover, I adore all the studio Key anime adaptations. Kanon and Clannad are among my favorite shows of all time. It sucks you had Clannad spoiled for you :/. Although in my opinion, these shows are still emotionally powerful even upon rewatching.
In my case, I've been spoiled on probably the biggest plot point in Your Lie in April. That was quite a shame, but I still enjoyed the ride regardless.

MojaveRena wrote:I am also very fond of Iyashikei (Healing) anime that make you feel relaxed.
In that case, One Week Friends might be right up your alley; from what the search function on AniList tells me, you haven't seen that one yet. Also, the more recent Konohana Kitan fits the bill quite nicely.

MojaveRena wrote:The Fallout series I instantly liked because I games that you can go anywhere you want
Personally, I adore Fallout 3 and 4 for their survival atmosphere. Although I do feel the need to add mods to make the gameplay match the bleak setting and the need to truly fight for your survival (i.e. less ammo, medicine etc. to loot). That's my kind of gameplay right there :). I've just picked up playing Fallout 4 again, too.

MojaveRena wrote:Just ask me and I might have played the game you suggest.
Well, since you're offering, allow me to inquire: Have you played any games from the F.E.A.R. franchise? The first one and its 'expansions' are only available on PC, but F.E.A.R. 2 and 3 have received console ports. These games among my all-time favorites. The FPS gameplay is rock-solid, and the suspense and shock scenes are just so good X)!

MojaveRena wrote:Oh, and I LOVE talking about English dub actors and Japanese Voice actors too, again just ask me anything you like. Seriously, I sometimes geek out about certain voice actors too much.. (Brittney Karbowski and Aoi Yuuki predominantly but I have many others)
No way... really? I'm this forum's token dub-only watcher (although English isn't my native language, so that makes things slightly different for me). And I love me some geekage over voice actors (actually mostly actresses) :). It feels like an amazing coincidence you'd single out Brittney Karbowski - she's my overall favorite in the industry. I'm also extremely fond of Sarah Williams, who has a similar (even more pronounced) nasal quality to her voice.
I used to fill pages in my own introduction thread discussing English VAs with another user (Crash Kamio). Good times ^_^. While I don't usually "browse" BTVA, it's become second nature to me to try and identify the VAs of any new series I watch and then check the website to find out if I got it right :P.

MojaveRena wrote:I think I am one of the few who prefered the Alfheim Online arc of Sword Art Online instead of the first arc... mainly because of Leafa.
You'd be surprised :D... I said almost the exact same thing when I introduced myself last year, to which Andrew replied that this is a preference shared by quite a few members of this forum. The character drama surrounding Sugu really gripped me and was easily the highlight of the season for me.

MojaveRena wrote:On a positive note, I believe anime has the power to bring people together, not just people from different countries who speak different languages but also people with disabilities or personal problems such as depression or anxiety. What do you think?
Most definitely. Bonding over a shared passion always helps in this regard.
Also, there are numerous works which specifically emphasize tolerance as a virtue. The first one that came to mind when you mentioned "disabilities" is not actually an anime, but the visual novel Katawa Shoujo. Judging from all the reviews and player comments I've read about it, it gave many of them a new perspective on how to interact with handicapped people.
Katawa Shoujo is an amazing experience, by the way, and completely free to play - so if you're at all interested in trying out a visual novel, it's a great starting point.

Wow, this post is growing too long... Nonetheless, I have a duty to pose a random question, as I do for all new forumites: If you had the chance to make 2 anime characters from different series meet, who would you choose and why?

And lastly, almost equally obligatory: self-promotion for my forum game. You can check it out via the link in my signature - the gist of it is to think of similarities between characters in anime (and related media).
Know a decent number of anime characters? Check out my forum game!

Kocurek1944
Super Otaku II

Postby Kocurek1944 » Tue Apr 24, 2018 6:45 am

Welcome to the forums Courier!
Few questions:
Ever ventured into the world of pre-2000 anime?
Opinion on mecha genre?
Favourite director?
A fan of Airplane and Hotshots.I love those movies and their sequels.If you want some classical comedy recommendations then I must point You towards Charles Chaplin filmography, especially movie "The Great Dictator".
When I comes to video games I give one recommendation, Bloodborne by From Software.It's my favourite game of all time and I encourage everyone to give it a shot.
http://myanimelist.net/animelist/Kocurek1944
Proud citizen of Principality of Mecha
"Where robots are big
And teenagers angsty"

MojaveRena
I Like Anime

Postby MojaveRena » Tue Apr 24, 2018 2:52 pm

Bluespark wrote:
Spoiler:
Welcome to the den of good-natured forum-dwellers that is Otaku Spirit! The positivity displayed by Andrew and Chris towards the anime medium is the reason most people decide to join our community. I can confidently say it was the same for me.

Thank you! Yes, I really loved the positivity Chris and Andrew give out during their podcasts. Their positivity made me want to join.

Bluespark wrote:
Spoiler:
I'm a little intimidated by the sheer amount of anime you've watched in only 3 years. Well, good on you :]. I tend to rewatch shows that I really liked, in some cases several times. Plus I spend a lot of time on gaming, so there's that.
I know what you mean, about 300 of the total anime I have watched were either hentai or short anime so I have only watched about 490-ish anime. Same here, sometimes rewatching a show might make you see different things you didn't see first.

Bluespark wrote:
Spoiler:
I take it your avatar is a picture of Rena? I really didn't recognize her at first... Maybe it's just been too long since I watched the series (for the 2nd time - yes, I quite enjoyed it, too).
That's right, I think it's a fanart or something. I think I watched Higurashi first in English dub and then 2 times in Japanese. It's a shame Sentai Filmworks aren't doing anything about dubbing the rest of the series in case people want to watch the dub.

Bluespark wrote:
Spoiler:
Ohhh, so we have another prospective acolyte for our cult 8-). As a dedicated drama lover, I adore all the studio Key anime adaptations. Kanon and Clannad are among my favorite shows of all time. It sucks you had Clannad spoiled for you :/. Although in my opinion, these shows are still emotionally powerful even upon rewatching.
In my case, I've been spoiled on probably the biggest plot point in Your Lie in April. That was quite a shame, but I still enjoyed the ride regardless.
Hehe.. Key has always been there for me since I started watching Air a few years back. When Clannad was spoiled, I thought to myself "Why would someone spoil such a brilliant anime" and it was almost impossible to watch but despite the spoilers, I do love Clannad and I agree with you about it being a very powerful anime. Oh, Kanon wasn't spoiled for me! I loved that show with the "Uguu~" girl.
I feel for you man, there is little you can do except to keep watching and try to enjoy it the best you can. Very recently Code Geass was spoiled for me too and Attack on Titans was spoiled before I even started watching anime... -_-

Bluespark wrote:
Spoiler:
In that case, One Week Friends might be right up your alley; from what the search function on AniList tells me, you haven't seen that one yet. Also, the more recent Konohana Kitan fits the bill quite nicely.
I think I missed Kotohana Kitan when it was airing... no matter, I think I'll add it to my list, thanks!
Oh, that second one looks good too! I'll add that one as well.

Bluespark wrote:
Spoiler:
Personally, I adore Fallout 3 and 4 for their survival atmosphere. Although I do feel the need to add mods to make the gameplay match the bleak setting and the need to truly fight for your survival (i.e. less ammo, medicine etc. to loot). That's my kind of gameplay right there :). I've just picked up playing Fallout 4 again, too.
True, especially the hardcore mode in Fallout New Vegas since the dehydration meter doesn't go up fast enough seeing as you are in the middle of a desert and it's summertime.
Yeah, I like my games more realistic if possible by purposely selling ammo I don't need or tougher enemies when you are in their home base. (except Deathclaws, they are hard enough to beat) ::yess::
Strangely, I have never played Fallout 4... I never got around to playing it.

Bluespark wrote:Have you played any games from the F.E.A.R. franchise?
Unfortunately no, but I saw F.E.A.R 3 in a shop about a month ago, I should have bought it then since they don't have in stock now. ::terrible::
I would love to play it (just saw a trailer of the first game), it looks like a true horror suspense game.

Bluespark wrote:
Spoiler:
No way... really? It feels like an amazing coincidence you'd single out Brittney Karbowski - she's my overall favorite in the industry. I'm also extremely fond of Sarah Williams, who has a similar (even more pronounced) nasal quality to her voice. I used to fill pages in my own introduction thread discussing English VAs with another user (Crash Kamio)
While I don't usually "browse" BTVA, it's become second nature to me to try and identify the VAs of any new series I watch and then check the website to find out if I got it right.
Yep, I have had no problems watching dubs in the past or now, some are really impressive like the recent Ancient Magus' Bride, Elias' voice is smooth as silk.
Brittney Karbowski is perfect as the innocent loli characters like Wendy in Fairy Tail but sometimes she can surprise you with her vocal range she has. Sarah Williams... was she the voice of Lizbeth in SAO? I think I heard her once or twice. Now I might confuse you with a similar name, Sarah Wiedenheft, now she made Skilled Teaser Takagi-san for me personally, she actually sounds like a middle-schooler.

I just had a look at your intro and you guys reminded me of a Dub podcast on Youtube called 'Dub Talk' -they are good but they don't give you time to skip spoilers... but no matter, they are a decent dub podcast.

I sometimes play a game where I guess the voice actor when I hear their voice, it often works more in English than in Japanese for some reason.

Bluespark wrote:
Spoiler:
You'd be surprised :D... I said almost the exact same thing when I introduced myself last year, to which Andrew replied that this is a preference shared by quite a few members of this forum. The character drama surrounding Sugu really gripped me and was easily the highlight of the season for me.
No way! I knew I wasn't alone with that! XD Yeah, Suguha/Leafa's story was a highlight for me too. I mean the first arc wasn't bad, it's just that I preferred the second arc more.

Bluespark wrote:
Spoiler:
The first one that came to mind when you mentioned "disabilities" is not actually an anime, but the visual novel Katawa Shoujo. Judging from all the reviews and player comments I've read about it, it gave many of them a new perspective on how to interact with handicapped people.
Katawa Shoujo is an amazing experience, by the way, and completely free to play - so if you're at all interested in trying out a visual novel, it's a great starting point.
O_O It's completely free? Whoa.. it looks like it will make me cry buckets of tears since I feel sorry for people with disabilities or people who cannot enjoy some things in life since it's not their fault. I'll see about downloading it, but I'll have to get ready for it.

Bluespark wrote:
Spoiler:
If you had the chance to make 2 anime characters from different series meet, who would you choose and why?

And lastly, almost equally obligatory: self-promotion for my forum game. You can check it out via the link in my signature - the gist of it is to think of similarities between characters in anime (and related media).
Hmm..... just for fun, Rena Ryuuguu from Higurashi and Yuno Gasai from Mirai Nikki. Seriously, I think of some characters from other anime should have met like Bell Cranel from DanMachi and Kirito from SAO, I bet they would sit down and have a good chat about the loot they just got, they would be good friends too, I think.

Oh cool! I'll check it out. 8-)

---

Kocurek1944 wrote:
Spoiler:
Welcome to the forums Courier!
Few questions:
Ever ventured into the world of pre-2000 anime?
Opinion on mecha genre?
Favourite director?
A fan of Airplane and Hotshots.I love those movies and their sequels.If you want some classical comedy recommendations then I must point You towards Charles Chaplin filmography, especially movie "The Great Dictator".
When I comes to video games I give one recommendation, Bloodborne by From Software.It's my favourite game of all time and I encourage everyone to give it a shot.
:D Thank you!

Yes, apart from Cowboy Bebop there was also Record of Lodloss War which I have not yet finished. I think they are great so far. Oh, and Garzey's Wing too.

The only Mecha anime I have seen was Code Geass, I think. As a genre, I don't mind it. I should really watch more Mecha anime for a better opinion. ;)

Hmm.... I don't have a favourite but I like the director of AnoHana, I don't know his name but Anohana made me like him.

I remember it vaguely. I've seen Modern Times as well.

I'll definitely check it out when I can, thank you!
Last edited by MojaveRena on Wed May 30, 2018 2:06 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Chris
Site Co-Founder

Postby Chris » Tue Apr 24, 2018 7:07 pm

welcome

Sorry I am a little short on a question atm but didn’t want you to not be welcomed

Thank you so much for listening.

As a safe cheesy question. Who is best pink Loli ggo player?

;-p

I hope you find yourself lots of friends and have lots of fun here

Again welcome

;-)

BlueSpark
Anime Junky

Postby BlueSpark » Wed Apr 25, 2018 2:25 am

MojaveRena wrote:It's a shame Sentai Filmworks aren't doing anything about dubbing the rest of the series in case people want to watch the dub.
Yup, that's me :/. Never touched the 2nd season because I just don't handle Japanese dubs very well. However, I came up with my own interpretation which satisfactorily explains the ending of season 1 :P.

MojaveRena wrote:I loved that show with the "Uguu~" girl.
Which, by the way, Brittney Karbowski performed quite nicely in my opinion ^_^. Some people (on this forum, too) cannot stand English VAs' attempts at moe expressions such as these, but I'm perfectly content. Of course, Chris Patton (as Yuichi) already declared that "'Uguu' is all mine!," so he's gonna have to carry the torch now ;).

MojaveRena wrote:Unfortunately no, but I saw F.E.A.R 3 in a shop about a month ago, I should have bought it then since they don't have in stock now. ::terrible::
I'm not usually one to do this (talk bad about a sequel), but I would actually recommend against buying it. At least for me, the third title of the franchise left a bad aftertaste. It just wasn't nearly as gripping as the prior games to me.
Part of that stems from the way it's designed: While F.E.A.R. 2 felt like it'd been developed more or less equally for PC and consoles, the third one is clearly a console game with the PC version as an afterthought. And with me being a passionate PC gamer, that was a deal-breaker. If you prefer console gaming, you might feel differently.

MojaveRena wrote:Brittney Karbowski is perfect as the innocent loli characters like Wendy in Fairy Tail but sometimes she can surprise you with her vocal range she has.
Like Blackstar in Soul Eater? Or Yamada in Yamada's First Time? Or Mikoto in A Certain Scientific Railgun? Yeah, she can go in a lot of different directions :). As much as I adore her voice work, I'm equally fond of how she comes across as a person in interviews and convention panels. Always nice, always fun, always passionate about what she does.

MojaveRena wrote:Sarah Williams... was she the voice of Lizbeth in SAO? I think I heard her once or twice.
Bingo! Probably her biggest role (in terms of critial acclaim of the series) is Sayaka in Madoka Magica. Her favorite role for me is Sayu in A Lull in the Sea. She also plays one of the main characters in The Asterisk War. I've seen her in a few other roles, I think, but I can't recall any right now.

MojaveRena wrote:it looks like it will make me cry buckets of tears since I feel sorry for people with disabilities or people who cannot enjoy some things in life since it's not their fault. I'll see about downloading it, but I'll have to get ready for it.
It definitely gets emotional at times, but at least for me, it wasn't as much of a tearjerker as, say, your typical Key anime. In return, it has some pretty strong messages.
I should also mention that, as weird as it may sound at first, the characters' disabilities don't actually play as much of a central role in their individual story arcs as you'd expect from a premise like this. The major drama points arise from the girls' personalities rather than their physical handicaps. It's pretty nifty.
Oh, and just to give you some perspective, it took me about 36 hours to 100% the VN. I'm a rather slow reader, however, so your mileage may differ.

MojaveRena
I Like Anime

Postby MojaveRena » Wed Apr 25, 2018 4:59 am

Chris wrote:
Spoiler:
welcome

Sorry I am a little short on a question atm but didn’t want you to not be welcomed

Thank you so much for listening.

As a safe cheesy question. Who is best pink Loli ggo player?

;-p

I hope you find yourself lots of friends and have lots of fun here

Again welcome

;-)

No worries, it's nice to meet you Chris.

Oh, that would be Karen! I've only just started watching the first episode of SAO GGO Alternative, good stuff.

Thank you. ::happy::

---

BlueSpark wrote:
Spoiler:
Yup, that's me :/. Never touched the 2nd season because I just don't handle Japanese dubs very well. However, I came up with my own interpretation which satisfactorily explains the ending of season 1 :P.
No worries, I'm still waiting for the School Days dub if it is ever released. I used to only watch dubs 3 years ago since I had a hard time with hate comments. Sorry for the personal question but do Japanese voices in anime annoy you? If you mean the nasal voices like Komari from Little Busters then I can understand how you feel. Those voices used to annoy me in the past since I'm not used to Japanese voices and the nasal voices were the first I heard coming into anime.
I think you know already I am a bit vague with my language preference but it's good you know what you like the most. Some people are less vague with English VAs, for example.

Now that's interesting... hmm, the second season does explain more about what is happening. You could read the manga or the visual novels if you want.

Bluespark wrote:
Spoiler:
Which, by the way, Brittney Karbowski performed quite nicely in my opinion ^_^. Some people (on this forum, too) cannot stand English VAs' attempts at moe expressions such as these, but I'm perfectly content. Of course, Chris Patton (as Yuichi) already declared that "'Uguu' is all mine!," so he's gonna have to carry the torch now ;).
Oops I forgot her name! "Uguu girl" :D . I'm fine with it too as long as is has the same meaning. Yeah, everyone has their own preferences and some people like to voice their opinions more than others. I'm kinda immune to people saying bad things about English VAs now, it's not going to change how I feel about dubbed anime.
Chris Patton, eh? You don't hear him too much in anime anymore, I heard him in Ghost Stories last. Talking of Little Busters, in the dub Kudryavka is voice by Tiffany Grant, I never knew that was her just listening to her voice with her cute Russian accent.

Bluespark wrote:
Spoiler:
'm not usually one to do this (talk bad about a sequel), but I would actually recommend against buying it. At least for me, the third title of the franchise left a bad aftertaste. It just wasn't nearly as gripping as the prior games to me.
Part of that stems from the way it's designed: While F.E.A.R. 2 felt like it'd been developed more or less equally for PC and consoles, the third one is clearly a console game with the PC version as an afterthought. And with me being a passionate PC gamer, that was a deal-breaker. If you prefer console gaming, you might feel differently.
Oh is it? Well good to know before I would have bought it then. I play on both Console and PC, I'm happy with both.

Bluespark wrote:
Spoiler:
Like Blackstar in Soul Eater? Or Yamada in Yamada's First Time? Or Mikoto in A Certain Scientific Railgun? Yeah, she can go in a lot of different directions :). As much as I adore her voice work, I'm equally fond of how she comes across as a person in interviews and convention panels. Always nice, always fun, always passionate about what she does.
She is easily one of the best female dub actresses I have ever heard. As you said, it's great she loves what she is doing. Do you look forward to hearing her voice in a new anime?

Bluespark wrote:Bingo! Probably her biggest role (in terms of critial acclaim of the series) is Sayaka in Madoka Magica. Her favorite role for me is Sayu in A Lull in the Sea. She also plays one of the main characters in The Asterisk War. I've seen her in a few other roles, I think, but I can't recall any right now.[/spoiler]
Ahh! I thought so! I'm watching Madoka Magica now actually, didn't know she was the dub voice for Sayaka. Yes, she was also Nonon in Kill La Kill too. ^^

Bluespark wrote:
Spoiler:
It definitely gets emotional at times, but at least for me, it wasn't as much of a tearjerker as, say, your typical Key anime. In return, it has some pretty strong messages.
I should also mention that, as weird as it may sound at first, the characters' disabilities don't actually play as much of a central role in their individual story arcs as you'd expect from a premise like this. The major drama points arise from the girls' personalities rather than their physical handicaps. It's pretty nifty.
Oh, and just to give you some perspective, it took me about 36 hours to 100% the VN. I'm a rather slow reader, however, so your mileage may differ.
I see, strong messages make me tear up just as much. I'm very slow with VNs, I still have not finished the Higurashi VN after 1 and a half years.

BlueSpark
Anime Junky

Postby BlueSpark » Wed Apr 25, 2018 7:24 am

MojaveRena wrote:Sorry for the personal question but do Japanese voices in anime annoy you?
You could say that, yes. It's not the voices themselves, however, but the style the Japanese use for voice-acting. It all sounds way over the top for me, so much so that I have a hard time taking the characters seriously. While German dubbing frequently sounds too bland in my opinion, English localizations hit the sweet spot in-between.

MojaveRena wrote:Now that's interesting... hmm, the second season does explain more about what is happening. You could read the manga or the visual novels if you want.
I've actually spoiled myself just a little bit regarding the plot of season 2, but I still like my own interpretation. Is that weird :D? I didn't know the manga has been localized - or are you talking about a fan translation? I did consider buying the VNs on Steam for a while, but there are so many; that scattered disribution model kind of turns me off.

MojaveRena wrote:Chris Patton, eh? You don't hear him too much in anime anymore, I heard him in Ghost Stories last.
I haven't really thought about it, but I think you're right - he hasn't made many appearances recently. I remember him most fondly for the roles of Keima Katsuragi and Sousuke Sagara.
One voice actress who I thought had almost left the industry behind completely is Wendy Lee. She used to play a lot of roles in the past, but I hadn't heard her voice in ages - until I recognized her as the mother in episode 10 of Violet Evergarden.

MojaveRena wrote:Talking of Little Busters, in the dub Kudryavka is voice by Tiffany Grant, I never knew that was her just listening to her voice with her cute Russian accent.
I know, right? That accent completely throws you off. I never wouldn've been able to tell it was her (kind of like Leah Clark as Nodoka in Negima!). Although I did get a kick out of it - not just the accent itself, but the completely butchered grammar :D.

MojaveRena wrote:Do you look forward to hearing her voice in a new anime?
I think I can safely answer that with yes :). It's not like I go out of my way to watch a show I'd otherwise have no interest in just to listen to her. However, I distinctly remember watching Gamers! last year and being completely stoked going into the series because I knew Brittney was playing the female lead ^_^. Ah, Karen Tendou... a model waifu if I've ever seen one.

MojaveRena wrote:Yes, she was also Nonon in Kill La Kill too. ^^
Ah, dangit, how could I forget? I just rewatched Kill la Kill a couple of months ago in our community watch-along. Sarah Williams was the main reason that Jakuzure turned into my favorite character of the show. It may sound silly, but a lot of her roles end up in my "best girl" spot for the respective series (Madoka, 2nd half of A Lull in the Sea, Kill la Kill; 2nd favorite in Sword Art Online after Suguha).

MojaveRena wrote:I'm very slow with VNs, I still have not finished the Higurashi VN after 1 and a half years.
That sucks :P. I usually force myself to finish whatever game I'm currently playing before I move on to the next one. I'm painfully aware how, once you let time pass, it becomes harder and harder to get back into it. I'm still surprised I've been able to smoothly resume my Fallout 4 playthrough after not having touched the game for... I think more than a year.
As for Katawa Shoujo, you should be able to read through one full character route in roughly 8-12 hours, depending on the specific route (they vary a bit in length) and your reading speed. That might be a reasonable goal to shoot for.

MojaveRena
I Like Anime

Postby MojaveRena » Fri Apr 27, 2018 4:03 am

BlueSpark wrote:
Spoiler:
You could say that, yes. It's not the voices themselves, however, but the style the Japanese use for voice-acting. It all sounds way over the top for me, so much so that I have a hard time taking the characters seriously. While German dubbing frequently sounds too bland in my opinion, English localizations hit the sweet spot in-between.
I have nothing against the Japanese voice actors for who they are, some of them are great singers. But I had some difficulty getting used to their voices at first. I've only seen short clips of the German Dub for Violet Evergarden, to me it's sounds alright but I don't speak enough German to say the voices are good. The Italian Dub was quite good too, but I watched Violet Evergarden in English dub first.

Bluespark wrote:
Spoiler:
I've actually spoiled myself just a little bit regarding the plot of season 2, but I still like my own interpretation. Is that weird :D? I didn't know the manga has been localized - or are you talking about a fan translation? I did consider buying the VNs on Steam for a while, but there are so many; that scattered disribution model kind of turns me off.
Sometimes your own interpretation can be better, my version of Attack on Titans somehow worked for me. :D Yes I know what you mean, plus you have to download the extra music tracks because the distributor removed some of the original music.

Bluespark wrote:
Spoiler:
I haven't really thought about it, but I think you're right - he hasn't made many appearances recently. I remember him most fondly for the roles of Keima Katsuragi and Sousuke Sagara.
One voice actress who I thought had almost left the industry behind completely is Wendy Lee. She used to play a lot of roles in the past, but I hadn't heard her voice in ages - until I recognized her as the mother in episode 10 of Violet Evergarden.
Yes! She is one of the voice actresses I knew from when I started gaming about 13 years ago, but you're right... I think she was in Blood Lad too. Both her and Crispin Freeman were some of the first dub actors I know of, they both work well together like in The Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya.

Bluespark wrote:
Spoiler:
I know, right? That accent completely throws you off. I never wouldn've been able to tell it was her (kind of like Leah Clark as Nodoka in Negima!). Although I did get a kick out of it - not just the accent itself, but the completely butchered grammar :D.
Same here! I absolutely loved her cute accent in the dub, I should really continue watching Little Busters sometime soon. 8-) Also, I think it's Carli Mosier who voiced the school council president in the dub of Little Busters? She had an almost sexy voice which made me like her more.

Bluespark wrote:
Spoiler:
I think I can safely answer that with yes :). It's not like I go out of my way to watch a show I'd otherwise have no interest in just to listen to her. However, I distinctly remember watching Gamers! last year and being completely stoked going into the series because I knew Brittney was playing the female lead ^_^. Ah, Karen Tendou... a model waifu if I've ever seen one.
Karen Tendou... it's proof that Brittney Karbowski is brilliant at voicing shy characters. She was also in Death March from last season, not sure if you watch airing anime or do you wait until they have finished airing to watch them? Sometimes it's easier to binge-watch or to not feel like you have to keep up with everyone else.

Bluespark wrote:
Spoiler:
Ah, dangit, how could I forget? I just rewatched Kill la Kill a couple of months ago in our community watch-along. Sarah Williams was the main reason that Jakuzure turned into my favorite character of the show. It may sound silly, but a lot of her roles end up in my "best girl" spot for the respective series (Madoka, 2nd half of A Lull in the Sea, Kill la Kill; 2nd favorite in Sword Art Online after Suguha).
To me hearing her say "Whaaaaaat..?!" is a bit better than "Nani Sore?" in the sub version. I have the same thing with characters voiced by Brittney Karbowski, she makes me like the characters much more.

Bluespark wrote:
Spoiler:
That sucks :P. I usually force myself to finish whatever game I'm currently playing before I move on to the next one. I'm painfully aware how, once you let time pass, it becomes harder and harder to get back into it. I'm still surprised I've been able to smoothly resume my Fallout 4 playthrough after not having touched the game for... I think more than a year.
As for Katawa Shoujo, you should be able to read through one full character route in roughly 8-12 hours, depending on the specific route (they vary a bit in length) and your reading speed. That might be a reasonable goal to shoot for.
Very true words I also know from experience.. this is why we should never give up on our hobbies.
Oh, that's not bad then. Thanks for recommending it to me. ::happy::

BlueSpark
Anime Junky

Postby BlueSpark » Fri Apr 27, 2018 7:14 am

MojaveRena wrote:I have nothing against the Japanese voice actors for who they are, some of them are great singers.
I should mention that I absolutely do not mind the sound of Japanese singing. I find it very pleasing most of the time. While I greatly appreciate every chance to hear an anime theme or even insert song localized in English (many VAs are talented singers, after all), sometimes the Japanese version just sounds amazing. One such example would be "You Raise me Up" (Romeo X Juliet) - there's an English version by Lena Park which is lovely in its own right, but the Japanese singer's voice is so pleasantly soft, it's almost uncanny.

MojaveRena wrote:Both her and Crispin Freeman were some of the first dub actors I know of, they both work well together like in The Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya.
I concur that Crispin Freeman absolutely nailed the cynical nature of Kyon and single-handedly raised the appeal of the show by a significant margin for me. Hah... I kind of want to watch the amazing Disappearance movie again.

MojaveRena wrote:Also, I think it's Carli Mosier who voiced the school council president in the dub of Little Busters? She had an almost sexy voice which made me like her more.
Actually, Carlie Mosier was playing Kuragaya. And yes, she definitely brings forth her playfully-sexy voice in that role (which she has done in other series as well, for instance Mayo Chiki).
I still don't quite know how weird this makes me look, but I thought Monical Rial in Another made Mei Misaki sound rather sexy, too - maybe a bit more than she should, given the atmosphere of the anime :P.

MojaveRena wrote:She was also in Death March from last season, not sure if you watch airing anime or do you wait until they have finished airing to watch them? Sometimes it's easier to binge-watch or to not feel like you have to keep up with everyone else.
I have a very strong personal policy there: I only "binge-watch" anime. I've never been fond of the week-by-week viewing format - instead, I take one show at a time and usually watch 4 episodes each night. That means I tend to finish a one-cour series in 3 days. It makes it easier for me to get a coherent picture of the show.
What this boilds down to is that I don't follow airing animes at all. In the case of broadcast dubs, sometimes I pick up the series right after the last episode comes out (as I did with Violet Evergarden). Other times, I'll just leave it for later if something else has caught my attention at the time. I'm not in any rush. What this also means is that you'll pretty much never see me around in the Season Discussion subforum. I know discussing the latest is a big draw for many anime fans, but not for me.

To randomly pick out a different topic, you listed Steins;Gate as one of your favorites. I can only approve - it's my most beloved show outside the realms of drama/romance/comedy/slice of life. I'm curious: What did you think of the movie? And how stoked are you for Steins;Gate 0?