Hi!

Let us get to know you!
BlueSpark
Anime Junky

Re: Hi!

Postby BlueSpark » Fri May 18, 2018 7:32 am

MojaveRena wrote:I think what it was I got confused between DxD Born and DxD New, I thought the 'New' season was the newest season and not the second season...
Oh, I gotcha. I've always found it a little annoying how animes have a tendency of labeling successive seasons with (sometimes) arbitrary titles instead of simply numbering them. That's why I deliberatly call them "Haganai season 2" or Haganai 2 instead of Haganai NEXT, for instance (Exceptions such as Clannad After Story apply because it's a very fitting name in my opinion).

But man, I honestly don't remember Issei's voice actor switching between seasons. That's a little creepy ^^*.

MojaveRena wrote:You may have a point there, Gosick was another anime that got a dub 6 years after the Dvds were released so it's always a possibility. ;)
Right, Gosick is another good example. I was quite happy about that one since it was the all-time favorite anime of a YouTuber I used to follow. It ended up being a pretty cool show - I liked it despite my general preference of new animes over old (~ pre-2005) ones. I'll try to come up with a good candidate for Victorique in the forum game, BTW ;).

MojaveRena wrote:OVA episodes are a different story with dubs because of license issues, but sometimes they do dub OVAs like with the DanMachi OVA.
In my experience, I'd actually venture to guess roughly half of the shows with OVAs that I've seen also had them dubbed. In some cases, such as Kokoro Connect, that is a huge boon as the show would be incomplete without them. Still waiting for the ReLIFE sequel OVAs to be localized :/.

MojaveRena wrote:Oh, I forgot about K-On's dub as well. That got a lot of hate mainly during the first season.
Really, they did? Was there some sort of scandal (such as with Kobayashi's Dragon Maid) or did people simply find the performances lacking? I don't remember anything bad about K-On!'s dub (Well, other than I would've preferred to hear Funimation record all the songs in English :>).

Thanks for putting your recommendations list together. Still, I'm extremely hesitant to watch stuff that hasn't been localized. Since Chinese voice-acting might sound entirely different from Japanese, I'll probably give that a try.
Know a decent number of anime characters? Check out my forum game!

MojaveRena
I Love Anime

Postby MojaveRena » Sat May 19, 2018 7:17 am

BlueSpark wrote:
Spoiler:
Oh, I gotcha. I've always found it a little annoying how animes have a tendency of labeling successive seasons with (sometimes) arbitrary titles instead of simply numbering them. That's why I deliberatly call them "Haganai season 2" or Haganai 2 instead of Haganai NEXT, for instance (Exceptions such as Clannad After Story apply because it's a very fitting name in my opinion).

But man, I honestly don't remember Issei's voice actor switching between seasons. That's a little creepy ^^*.
True, maybe it's so the next season sounds more exciting or something?
Oh, Asia and Akeno's voice actresses changes too.

BlueSpark wrote:
Spoiler:
Right, Gosick is another good example. I was quite happy about that one since it was the all-time favorite anime of a YouTuber I used to follow. It ended up being a pretty cool show - I liked it despite my general preference of new animes over old (~ pre-2005) ones. I'll try to come up with a good candidate for Victorique in the forum game, BTW ;).
I loved that show to bits when I watched it, I ended up watching the sister anime of Gosick, "Croisée in a Foreign Labyrinth" and that was good too. But it's a shame the original creator died before she could finish the manga...

BlueSpark wrote:
Spoiler:
In my experience, I'd actually venture to guess roughly half of the shows with OVAs that I've seen also had them dubbed. In some cases, such as Kokoro Connect, that is a huge boon as the show would be incomplete without them. Still waiting for the ReLIFE sequel OVAs to be localized :/.
Some are dubbed while some just aren't, I believe it's something to do with the licence or the lack of demand to dub the OVAs (But I say ''Why not dub everything with the anime?" That way you can have everything on the dvds.) That's another show that has been dubbed but with the OVAs not dubbed, I really want to watch the ReLIFE Kanketsu-hen OVAs but no news on the dub.
And the Ancient Magus Bride OVAs too, one of my personal favourite dubs and still nothing on the OVAs..

BlueSpark wrote:
Spoiler:
Really, they did? Was there some sort of scandal (such as with Kobayashi's Dragon Maid) or did people simply find the performances lacking? I don't remember anything bad about K-On!'s dub (Well, other than I would've preferred to hear Funimation record all the songs in English :>).
The problem is bizarre; while the creators for the manga/light novels are different, they were both made as anime by the same company, KyoAni. The hatred of the dub version stems mainly from the fact that both K-On! season 1 and the second season of Haruhi were produced around the same time, and people thought the K-On dub was bad because of Haruhi's better dub.
Even stranger was the dubs for Clannad, Lucky Star and Strawberry Marshmellow were all bashed for the same reason and none of those anime have anything to do with it.
*sigh* why can't people just be happy? :)

There was another scandal in Hayate the Combat Butler, supposedly a dub hater edited the dub quality so there is a 'static' sound when characters are talking. I haven't bought the DVDs to see if the problem is still there, but there is no need for someone to illegally edit the dub quality just because he/she doesn't like dubs. But this didn't stop Sentai from dubbing 3 seasons.

BlueSpark wrote:
Spoiler:
Thanks for putting your recommendations list together. Still, I'm extremely hesitant to watch stuff that hasn't been localized. Since Chinese voice-acting might sound entirely different from Japanese, I'll probably give that a try.
It does sound a lot different to Japanese, Chinese is a tonal language so the words sound the same but the way you pronounce the word tone it mean something else. At first, it is a bit strange but you get used to it. Oh, I forgot about Silver Guardian, that's been dubbed.

BlueSpark
Anime Junky

Postby BlueSpark » Tue May 22, 2018 6:42 am

MojaveRena wrote:Oh, Asia and Akeno's voice actresses changes too.
In my defense, Asias's only changes in season 4 (according to BtVA), which I haven't seen. Still, it's so weird I didn't notice (or don't remember I did) how Josh Grelle took over the role :?.

MojaveRena wrote:Some are dubbed while some just aren't, I believe it's something to do with the licence or the lack of demand to dub the OVAs
Right. It always creates a bit of a conundrum for me when OVAs aren't licensed for the dub, because then I have to decide whether or not to watch them based on how much I liked the anime. For series like Mysterious Girlfriend X or Another, I gladly bit the bullet and watched them with Japanese audio. For High School DxD, on the other hand, I chose not to.

Thanks for clearing up the K-On! dub story. I really couldn't care less about stuff like that. I also don't think any less of Kokoro Connect just because of the (Japanese) voice actor scandal. The show itself is amazing, and I think it deserves recognition for that.
MojaveRena wrote:Even stranger was the dubs for Clannad, Lucky Star and Strawberry Marshmellow were all bashed for the same reason and none of those anime have anything to do with it.
Well, haters gonna hate. Hilary Haag as Fuko in Clannad is one of the best dub performances I have heard to this day, so it's whatever.

MojaveRena wrote:There was another scandal in Hayate the Combat Butler, supposedly a dub hater edited the dub quality so there is a 'static' sound when characters are talking.
That sounds... intense. Who would even have the opportunity to tamper with that? Are we talking about the quality on a streaming site (because you said it might've been fixed on the DVDs)?

I'm wondering: Since your Anilist is so vast, are you interested at all in rewatching shows you've already seen? I know it's something a lot of people don't like to do, but personally, I can always go back to my favorites and be delighted all over again.
This even correlates with more general personality traits of mine: I value the tried and true. For instance, when my Logitech G500 broke a couple of years ago, I ordered the exact same model again, because it had proven perfectly serviceable to me. In fact, I would've ordered a 3rd G500 last year, but it wasn't available on Amazon anymore :P, so I went for a newer model.
But I digress. I'm rewatching Tsukigakirei at the moment, and it still feels like pure bliss ^_^.

MojaveRena
I Love Anime

Postby MojaveRena » Tue May 22, 2018 2:16 pm

BlueSpark wrote:
Spoiler:
In my defense, Asias's only changes in season 4 (according to BtVA), which I haven't seen. Still, it's so weird I didn't notice (or don't remember I did) how Josh Grelle took over the role :?.
It's really odd because I really liked Scott Freeman's performance as Issei and then I found out what he did to get replaced. Still, Josh Grelle has quite the similar voice and Akeno is voiced by... Kelly Angel? I remember Teri Rogers used to voice her.

BlueSpark wrote:
Spoiler:
Right. It always creates a bit of a conundrum for me when OVAs aren't licensed for the dub, because then I have to decide whether or not to watch them based on how much I liked the anime. For series like Mysterious Girlfriend X or Another, I gladly bit the bullet and watched them with Japanese audio. For High School DxD, on the other hand, I chose not to.
If it's a series you really love then I say watch the Japanese and wait for the dub - that's what I did for the rest of the Higurashi series. It also depends how familiar you are with the voice actors since I don't like swapping to the Japanese if I loved the English voices. If I didn't enjoy it or there was no other choice then I would swap but that's only happened 4 times for me.

BlueSpark wrote:
Spoiler:
Thanks for clearing up the K-On! dub story. I really couldn't care less about stuff like that. I also don't think any less of Kokoro Connect just because of the (Japanese) voice actor scandal. The show itself is amazing, and I think it deserves recognition for that.
Yeah, I don't let the negativity effect me anymore with all the hate, I just want to like watching the show in my own way. Oh, what scandal with Kokoro Connect?

BlueSpark wrote:
Spoiler:
Well, haters gonna hate. Hilary Haag as Fuko in Clannad is one of the best dub performances I have heard to this day, so it's whatever.
That was the sweetest scene in Clannad with
Spoiler:
Fuuko handing out the starfish to people to remember her before she disappears. That scene got me crying..
and I found another voice actress I can look forward to hearing because of that one scene.

BlueSpark wrote:
Spoiler:
That sounds... intense. Who would even have the opportunity to tamper with that? Are we talking about the quality on a streaming site (because you said it might've been fixed on the DVDs)?
Yeah, I'm talking about illegal streaming sites so the quality often changes depending on the uploader. The dub is not un-watchable with the static but it is distracting.
Well, I hope the issue has been fixed on the DVDs but there is no way to know without buying one, I read somewhere the DVD is fine and there is no static on the dub. It does make me angry why someone would do this to people who could potentially love the dubbed version...

BlueSpark wrote:
Spoiler:
I'm wondering: Since your Anilist is so vast, are you interested at all in rewatching shows you've already seen? I know it's something a lot of people don't like to do, but personally, I can always go back to my favorites and be delighted all over again.
This even correlates with more general personality traits of mine: I value the tried and true. For instance, when my Logitech G500 broke a couple of years ago, I ordered the exact same model again, because it had proven perfectly serviceable to me. In fact, I would've ordered a 3rd G500 last year, but it wasn't available on Amazon anymore :P, so I went for a newer model.
But I digress. I'm rewatching Tsukigakirei at the moment, and it still feels like pure bliss ^_^.
Sometimes yes, I've watched Higurashi over 3 times I think and Heaven's Lost Property I can always rewatch. I normally re-watch when I have nothing else to watch, and when you do rewatch something, you can sometimes see things you didn't see the first time you watched it.

You are just like me with keeping the most trusted items closest to you. I have never got rid of things is they are not broke, and when they do break then I replace them with the exact same type. Because I know this make or model works for me.

I'm gonna go for it and pick up Toradora since you helped me out a lot before, I also found School Rumble and that is hilarious!

Do you read manga or light novels? I have a thing for isekai manga or ecchi manga as you can tell from my list.. but I am a sucker for alternate worlds. :P

BlueSpark
Anime Junky

Postby BlueSpark » Wed May 23, 2018 9:16 am

MojaveRena wrote:It also depends how familiar you are with the voice actors since I don't like swapping to the Japanese if I loved the English voices.
The switch is always jarring for me, but I'm willing to 'suffer through it' if the content is something I'm really craving. Like the new Chunibyo movie - I cannot freaking wait to watch that. Give me an English-subbed version and I'm game... Heck, I'd watch it with French subtitles if I had to :P. Luckily for me, it's set to run in German movie theaters this year, and that means it'll almost certainly be dubbed. I do fully expect Sentai to release a localized blu-ray version eventually.

MojaveRena wrote:Oh, what scandal with Kokoro Connect?
I'm not 100% sure on the details, but I believe it was about a voice actor who applied for a role on the show and was subsequently hired and invited to a party with the rest of the staff... Only it turned out to be an elaborate hoax and he wasn't hired at all. Or something along those lines. This apparently led to a number of people boycotting the series.

Just to elaborate for a second, I especially love Hilary Haag's portrayal of Fuko when she's flustered, intimidated or fired up and her voice combines high pitch with completely frantic/hectic talking ^_^. I can't imagine any other English voice actress pulling that off. But I also thoroughly enjoyed the more emotional scenes like the one you alluded to (Fuko's is my favorite arc in the 1st season).

MojaveRena wrote:Yeah, I'm talking about illegal streaming sites so the quality often changes depending on the uploader. The dub is not un-watchable with the static but it is distracting.
Well, I hope the issue has been fixed on the DVDs but there is no way to know without buying one
I'm still a bit confused. If it was the uploader of a pirate site who screwed up the audio track, then it couldn't affect the official DVD release, could it? That would only be possible if it was the work of an audio engineer working at the dubbing studio. But what are the chances of an employee at such a studio disliking English dubs?

It's awesome you also enjoyed School Rumble. I recently watched it for the 3rd time, and I can't deny it has aged a bit. But it's still one of the most consistently funny animes I've seen.

MojaveRena wrote:Do you read manga or light novels?
Can't say I do, I'm afraid. Well, barely. The only manga series I'm actively interested in is Spice & Wolf, because I absolutely have to know (Imagine me as Eru Chitanda here ;)) how the story concludes. Besides that, I've read the 'rest' (i.e. post-anime content) of The World God Only Knows, Mysterious Girlfriend X and Elfen Lied. Unfortunately, all 3 of those have been letdowns for me when compared to the respective anime series.

I have dabbled in visual novels a bit - I already recommended Katawa Shoujo to you. The Fruit of Grisaia was 100% amazeballs, but it's a huge time investment (120 hours for me). Everlasting Summer (also downloadable for free) had a pretty cool idea, but was ultimately lackluster and - in my opinion - wasted at least 2 potentially great storytelling twists/devices. Clannad left me feeling rather underwhelmed (I much prefer the anime), and Hatoful Boyfriend I dropped after 20 minutes (although I've read that it's supposed to take really mindblowing twists in the later stages).

I just find anime as a medium a lot easier to consume, which makes it more enjoyable to me. However, there's something to be said about how spending hours upon hours on a visual novel goes a long way in immersing you in its world. That's something no anime has achieved for me to the same degree.

MojaveRena
I Love Anime

Postby MojaveRena » Thu May 24, 2018 10:16 am

BlueSpark wrote:
Spoiler:
The switch is always jarring for me, but I'm willing to 'suffer through it' if the content is something I'm really craving. Like the new Chunibyo movie - I cannot freaking wait to watch that. Give me an English-subbed version and I'm game... Heck, I'd watch it with French subtitles if I had to :P. Luckily for me, it's set to run in German movie theaters this year, and that means it'll almost certainly be dubbed. I do fully expect Sentai to release a localized blu-ray version eventually.
I can appreciate where you are coming from because I used to find it hard to swap languages.. like with "The Familiar of Zero" - only one season was dubbed and I'm not sure what to do about the other 3 seasons since I liked the dub.. I could swap but in my heart I don't want to. Not sure what Sentai are doing about dubbing the other seasons... A lot of underrated anime don't get a dub - "Hell Teacher Nube" is definitely an anime that deserves a dub.

Oh that's good news it's being shown in cinemas where you are. :)

BlueSpark wrote:
Spoiler:
I'm not 100% sure on the details, but I believe it was about a voice actor who applied for a role on the show and was subsequently hired and invited to a party with the rest of the staff... Only it turned out to be an elaborate hoax and he wasn't hired at all. Or something along those lines. This apparently led to a number of people boycotting the series.
Wow.. and they tried to cancel the show because of this? I get the feeling the company would have lost reputation because of this..

BlueSpark wrote:
Spoiler:
Just to elaborate for a second, I especially love Hilary Haag's portrayal of Fuko when she's flustered, intimidated or fired up and her voice combines high pitch with completely frantic/hectic talking ^_^. I can't imagine any other English voice actress pulling that off. But I also thoroughly enjoyed the more emotional scenes like the one you alluded to (Fuko's is my favorite arc in the 1st season).
Her voice made me connect to her character more, during the end of that scene HIllary made Fuuko more believable in my opinion. She was also in Angel Beats as Yui who I think nailed that role. :)

BlueSpark wrote:
Spoiler:
]I'm still a bit confused. If it was the uploader of a pirate site who screwed up the audio track, then it couldn't affect the official DVD release, could it? That would only be possible if it was the work of an audio engineer working at the dubbing studio. But what are the chances of an employee at such a studio disliking English dubs?
Yes, you're right but there were rumours that he may have hacked into Sentai's database to change the dub quality. Not sure how he would do that unless, as you said, he worked at the company to get access to the dub files.. It sounds too suspicious to be true but the static is there on pirate streaming sites. But this problem is solved by turning the volume down, so I'm happy I can watch it in the dub.

BlueSpark wrote:
Spoiler:
It's awesome you also enjoyed School Rumble. I recently watched it for the 3rd time, and I can't deny it has aged a bit. But it's still one of the most consistently funny animes I've seen.
I've only just started watching it and I'm already loving it! I think it was made around the same time as Azumanga Daioh?

BlueSpark wrote:
Spoiler:
Can't say I do, I'm afraid. Well, barely. The only manga series I'm actively interested in is Spice & Wolf, because I absolutely have to know (Imagine me as Eru Chitanda here ;)) how the story concludes. Besides that, I've read the 'rest' (i.e. post-anime content) of The World God Only Knows, Mysterious Girlfriend X and Elfen Lied. Unfortunately, all 3 of those have been letdowns for me when compared to the respective anime series.

I just find anime as a medium a lot easier to consume, which makes it more enjoyable to me. However, there's something to be said about how spending hours upon hours on a visual novel goes a long way in immersing you in its world. That's something no anime has achieved for me to the same degree.

I do read the post-anime content myself, sometimes I'm too desperate to know what is going to happen. :D

Oh I was going to ask you a similar thing. Has there been an anime that made you want to watch all the episodes as soon as possible? For me it was; Black Lagoon, Ghost Hunt and New Game.
Last edited by MojaveRena on Sun May 27, 2018 2:23 am, edited 1 time in total.

BlueSpark
Anime Junky

Postby BlueSpark » Fri May 25, 2018 5:46 am

MojaveRena wrote:like with "The Familiar of Zero" - only one season was dubbed and I'm not sure what to do about the other 3 seasons since I liked the dub.. I could swap but in my heart I don't want to. Not sure what Sentai are doing about dubbing the other seasons...
I'm in the same boat - been waiting for ages an any news concering a possible dub for the remaining seasons. It used to be in licensing hell, along with Shakugan no Shana (which also had only 1 season localized). But a couple of years later, Shana was re-licensed and fully dubbed. It's a shame the same doesn't seem to apply to The Familiar of Zero :(.

MojaveRena wrote:She was also in Angel Beats as Yui who I think nailed that role. :)
Right, Yui's another little spaz of a girl - it's this type of character I think plays to Hilary's strengths. Fuko's still her best role, though. I'll defend that opinion to death :P.

MojaveRena wrote:I think it was made around the same time as Azumanga Daioh?
That sounds about right. I couldn't warm up to Azumanga when I watched it way back in the day. But that might've been because I was specifically looking for romantic series at the time; the all-girls format didn't appeal to me back then. When I discovered Lucky Star later (which I think is overall pretty similar to Azumanga Daioh), I instantly fell in love with it :D.

MojaveRena wrote:Oh I was going to ask you a similar thing. Has there been an anime that made you want to watch all the episodes as soon as possible?
I don't think that question is really pertinent for me since, as I said earlier, I only 'binge-watch' anime anyway. So I finish any series I start in a relatively short timeframe.

There have been shows I've been dying to start watching, though: For example, in the cases of Snow White with the Red Hair's 2nd season and Violet Evergarden, I was virtually counting the days until the final episode aired in simuldub.

And there are certain animes which have made me want to marathon all the content right now: My first watching of both Mysterious Girlfriend X and Love, Chunibyo & Other Delusions! had me devour the series in a single day (granted, both were either weekends or holidays; I couldn't pull that off on a workday).

MojaveRena
I Love Anime

Postby MojaveRena » Fri May 25, 2018 9:31 am

BlueSpark wrote:
Spoiler:
I'm in the same boat - been waiting for ages an any news concering a possible dub for the remaining seasons. It used to be in licensing hell, along with Shakugan no Shana (which also had only 1 season localized). But a couple of years later, Shana was re-licensed and fully dubbed. It's a shame the same doesn't seem to apply to The Familiar of Zero :(.
Oh yeah, I forgot about Shakugan no Shana, that was in a state of limbo for some time until it finally got dubbed. What about Kuroko no Basket? This is an anime that can easily be dubbed but again, nothing has happened..

BlueSpark wrote:
Spoiler:
Right, Yui's another little spaz of a girl - it's this type of character I think plays to Hilary's strengths. Fuko's still her best role, though. I'll defend that opinion to death :P.
Hillary Haag definitely has the most impact as Fuuko for me too. She was also in Kill Me Baby, that was good.

BlueSpark wrote:
Spoiler:
That sounds about right. I couldn't warm up to Azumanga when I watched it way back in the day. But that might've been because I was specifically looking for romantic series at the time; the all-girls format didn't appeal to me back then. When I discovered Lucky Star later (which I think is overall pretty similar to Azumanga Daioh), I instantly fell in love with it :D.
Ah, Lucky Star! Wendee Lee was in that one too! I remember there was an episode with car drifting (I think it's a parody of Initial D). You know, the jokes are quick and don't have running gags so there is always something to smile at in Lucky Star.

BlueSpark wrote:
Spoiler:
I don't think that question is really pertinent for me since, as I said earlier, I only 'binge-watch' anime anyway. So I finish any series I start in a relatively short timeframe.

There have been shows I've been dying to start watching, though: For example, in the cases of Snow White with the Red Hair's 2nd season and Violet Evergarden, I was virtually counting the days until the final episode aired in simuldub.

And there are certain animes which have made me want to marathon all the content right now: My first watching of both Mysterious Girlfriend X and Love, Chunibyo & Other Delusions! had me devour the series in a single day (granted, both were either weekends or holidays; I couldn't pull that off on a workday).
Oh yeah, I understand that from before. I was just implying if there has been a show you really liked so much that it always kept your attention. You see, I sometimes get bored with some series so I can't binge-watch unless there is an anime that keeps my attention. Sorry if it sounded like I was repeating a question to you, it's been a long time since I last talked to someone about dubs. ;)

Well I got news for you then, you know the Made in Abyss dub has been confirmed for this summer? Well, Grimoire of Zero is getting a much-needed dub too. I try to find new dub announcements but it can be hard to find the exact dates of when the dub is coming out.. The OS podcast announces some dub releases and I'm glad Andrew and Chris do so! :) I hope you like Made in Abyss when it's dubbed, only if you want to watch it of course, I hope I don't sound like I'm forcing you to watch it or anything.

I wonder if you are the same as me with dub actors when you hear their voice; do you remember a certain role hearing their voice, or do all their roles come together in your mind and you can't stop thinking about who is your favourite?
Because for me, Andrew Love will always be Naotsugu from Log Horizon. Whenever I hear his voice, I always think of Naotsugu. But for some voice actors, I think of more than one role..

BlueSpark
Anime Junky

Postby BlueSpark » Mon May 28, 2018 6:40 am

MojaveRena wrote:You know, the jokes are quick and don't have running gags so there is always something to smile at in Lucky Star.
True. Honestly, the show had me hooked from the very start - the discussion on how to best eat different types of food ("Is the thick side of a chocolate cornet the head or the tail?") in episode 1 is exactly my kind of humor :D.

MojaveRena wrote:Ah, Lucky Star! Wendee Lee was in that one too!
... which made Konata cosplaying as Haruhi Suzumiya all the more hilarious :). I wonder if the Japanese also had the same VA for Konata and Haruhi.

MojaveRena wrote:You see, I sometimes get bored with some series so I can't binge-watch unless there is an anime that keeps my attention.
Oh, gotcha. There's definitely a difference there: Some shows I can easily plow through in one go and not even feel the time passing. For others, it gets a bit tedious watching more than 2 episodes in one sitting. But I usually persevere and finish the anime regardless before moving on to the next one.

MojaveRena wrote:Well I got news for you then, you know the Made in Abyss dub has been confirmed for this summer?
Yup, I heard - that and Re:Zero are two big ones I'm looking forward to. I'm glad whenever Andrew and Chris mention dub announcements because I rarely follow anime news otherwise.

By your recommendation, I checked out the first 2 episodes of Lan Mo De Hua. To be brutally honest, I'm having a similar problem with the voice acting as with Japanese anime. It doesn't seem quite as 'over-acted' to me, but the general style is similar, and it's just not my cup of tea.
Furthermore, the version I found had fan subtitles with broken grammar and spelling errors :P. Still, hearing Chinese voices for once was pretty interesting, and the female lead was rather cute in my mind, even without her magical transformation. I don't think I'll be pursuing it, though - sorry ^^*.

MojaveRena wrote:I wonder if you are the same as me with dub actors when you hear their voice; do you remember a certain role hearing their voice, or do all their roles come together in your mind and you can't stop thinking about who is your favourite?
I think that's another point we lightly touched on before. There's still a good number of VAs I strongly associate with a single role (or two). For instance, Lara Woodhull (who has a somewhat 'blaring' voice) as young wolf girl Yuki as well as the loud-mouthed comic relief girl from Selector Infected WIXOSS. Margaret McDonald is invariably linked to Rikka Takanashi for me. And when I think of Yuri Lowenthal, I've always got Code Geass's Suzaku in my head.

Honestly, I kind of need that strong connection to initially remember a particular voice by heart. Once that's done, I'll recognize the voice more quickly in other roles, which helps make it more 'present' in my mind. And that eventually allows me to recognize certain voices instantly without having to take the mental detour of a specific character. Nowadays, I can hear Jamie Marchi and know it's her in a heartbeat, whereas my 'anchor' character for her used to be Mitsuko Kongo from A Certain Scientific Railgun. Same with Carlie Mosier (I don't have to make the connection to Yuko Amamia any more).

By the way, since I just rewatched Is This a Zombie?, maybe I will remember Morgan Garrett as Seraphim now, too. Only time will tell if her voice will 'stick' (So far, that hasn't really been the case) ;).

MojaveRena
I Love Anime

Postby MojaveRena » Tue May 29, 2018 5:58 am

BlueSpark wrote:
Spoiler:
True. Honestly, the show had me hooked from the very start - the discussion on how to best eat different types of food ("Is the thick side of a chocolate cornet the head or the tail?") in episode 1 is exactly my kind of humor :D.
It's the little jokes like that which made me love that anime so much! The humour is quite fast when you think about it, they tell one joke and then move on to the next one. I think that takes a lot of talent to not make the viewers too confused about the speed of the jokes.

BlueSpark wrote:
Spoiler:
... which made Konata cosplaying as Haruhi Suzumiya all the more hilarious :). I wonder if the Japanese also had the same VA for Konata and Haruhi.
Yes, Aya Hirano played both characters in the Japanese version. You could say there is a link between voice actors and their characters, and some really do become the characters themselves!

BlueSpark wrote:
Spoiler:
Oh, gotcha. There's definitely a difference there: Some shows I can easily plow through in one go and not even feel the time passing. For others, it gets a bit tedious watching more than 2 episodes in one sitting. But I usually persevere and finish the anime regardless before moving on to the next one.

Man, I wish I could do that, normally watching more 3 episodes makes me feel tired somewhat. They say the moment you start to yawn is the moment you are losing interest in the anime.. But if it's something I'm interested in then I find I can sit and watch more.

BlueSpark wrote:
Spoiler:
Yup, I heard - that and Re:Zero are two big ones I'm looking forward to. I'm glad whenever Andrew and Chris mention dub announcements because I rarely follow anime news otherwise.
Same here, I always keep an ear out if I hear a dub announcement on the OS podcast.

BlueSpark wrote:
Spoiler:
By your recommendation, I checked out the first 2 episodes of Lan Mo De Hua. To be brutally honest, I'm having a similar problem with the voice acting as with Japanese anime. It doesn't seem quite as 'over-acted' to me, but the general style is similar, and it's just not my cup of tea.
Furthermore, the version I found had fan subtitles with broken grammar and spelling errors :P. Still, hearing Chinese voices for once was pretty interesting, and the female lead was rather cute in my mind, even without her magical transformation. I don't think I'll be pursuing it, though - sorry ^^*.
Ah gao, I forgot all about the subtitle errors in some Chinese anime. Sometimes you get really bad grammar or translations that make no sense to anyone. I was saying in a previous post that I had some problems with the subtitles being edited or just bad. I dropped Jinsei for the same reason, the translators keep putting memes into their subtitles... :shock:
No worries, it's all good. I still think I'm Joybo is getting an English dub some time soon, but I can't trust Youtube on dub announcements unless there is a trailer or something. That show was quite touching if you like sad romance stories.

BlueSpark wrote:
Spoiler:
I think that's another point we lightly touched on before. There's still a good number of VAs I strongly associate with a single role (or two). For instance, Lara Woodhull (who has a somewhat 'blaring' voice) as young wolf girl Yuki as well as the loud-mouthed comic relief girl from Selector Infected WIXOSS. Margaret McDonald is invariably linked to Rikka Takanashi for me. And when I think of Yuri Lowenthal, I've always got Code Geass's Suzaku in my head.

Honestly, I kind of need that strong connection to initially remember a particular voice by heart. Once that's done, I'll recognize the voice more quickly in other roles, which helps make it more 'present' in my mind. And that eventually allows me to recognize certain voices instantly without having to take the mental detour of a specific character. Nowadays, I can hear Jamie Marchi and know it's her in a heartbeat, whereas my 'anchor' character for her used to be Mitsuko Kongo from A Certain Scientific Railgun. Same with Carlie Mosier (I don't have to make the connection to Yuko Amamia any more).

By the way, since I just rewatched Is This a Zombie?, maybe I will remember Morgan Garrett as Seraphim now, too. Only time will tell if her voice will 'stick' (So far, that hasn't really been the case) ;).

I think you said it better than I could, once you develop a strong connection with a voice actor, you start to actively think about them as the main role you heard them as. It makes me look forward to hearing them in another anime in the future. In fact, you could say you form an attachment to the voice actor because you

And that was Morgan Garrett's very first role, I believe. A brilliant start to her voice acting career.
One voice actress who got a good start was Sarah Wiedenheft, I don't know if you know her but some people were skeptical about her voice range as she is often only voices loli characters. But the thing is, she is really good with voicing those characters so her fans (and me) want her to continue what she does best. For me, she will always be Takagi from Skilled Master Takagi-san, it's quite a recent anime so no worries if you haven't watched it. :)