Hi!

Let us get to know you!
BlueSpark
Anime Junky

Re: Hi!

Postby BlueSpark » Fri May 18, 2018 7:32 am

MojaveRena wrote:I think what it was I got confused between DxD Born and DxD New, I thought the 'New' season was the newest season and not the second season...
Oh, I gotcha. I've always found it a little annoying how animes have a tendency of labeling successive seasons with (sometimes) arbitrary titles instead of simply numbering them. That's why I deliberatly call them "Haganai season 2" or Haganai 2 instead of Haganai NEXT, for instance (Exceptions such as Clannad After Story apply because it's a very fitting name in my opinion).

But man, I honestly don't remember Issei's voice actor switching between seasons. That's a little creepy ^^*.

MojaveRena wrote:You may have a point there, Gosick was another anime that got a dub 6 years after the Dvds were released so it's always a possibility. ;)
Right, Gosick is another good example. I was quite happy about that one since it was the all-time favorite anime of a YouTuber I used to follow. It ended up being a pretty cool show - I liked it despite my general preference of new animes over old (~ pre-2005) ones. I'll try to come up with a good candidate for Victorique in the forum game, BTW ;).

MojaveRena wrote:OVA episodes are a different story with dubs because of license issues, but sometimes they do dub OVAs like with the DanMachi OVA.
In my experience, I'd actually venture to guess roughly half of the shows with OVAs that I've seen also had them dubbed. In some cases, such as Kokoro Connect, that is a huge boon as the show would be incomplete without them. Still waiting for the ReLIFE sequel OVAs to be localized :/.

MojaveRena wrote:Oh, I forgot about K-On's dub as well. That got a lot of hate mainly during the first season.
Really, they did? Was there some sort of scandal (such as with Kobayashi's Dragon Maid) or did people simply find the performances lacking? I don't remember anything bad about K-On!'s dub (Well, other than I would've preferred to hear Funimation record all the songs in English :>).

Thanks for putting your recommendations list together. Still, I'm extremely hesitant to watch stuff that hasn't been localized. Since Chinese voice-acting might sound entirely different from Japanese, I'll probably give that a try.
Know a decent number of anime characters? Check out my forum game!

MojaveRena
I Like Anime

Re: Hi!

Postby MojaveRena » Sat May 19, 2018 7:17 am

BlueSpark wrote:
Spoiler:
Oh, I gotcha. I've always found it a little annoying how animes have a tendency of labeling successive seasons with (sometimes) arbitrary titles instead of simply numbering them. That's why I deliberatly call them "Haganai season 2" or Haganai 2 instead of Haganai NEXT, for instance (Exceptions such as Clannad After Story apply because it's a very fitting name in my opinion).

But man, I honestly don't remember Issei's voice actor switching between seasons. That's a little creepy ^^*.
True, maybe it's so the next season sounds more exciting or something?
Oh, Asia and Akeno's voice actresses changes too.

BlueSpark wrote:
Spoiler:
Right, Gosick is another good example. I was quite happy about that one since it was the all-time favorite anime of a YouTuber I used to follow. It ended up being a pretty cool show - I liked it despite my general preference of new animes over old (~ pre-2005) ones. I'll try to come up with a good candidate for Victorique in the forum game, BTW ;).
I loved that show to bits when I watched it, I ended up watching the sister anime of Gosick, "Croisée in a Foreign Labyrinth" and that was good too. But it's a shame the original creator died before she could finish the manga...

BlueSpark wrote:
Spoiler:
In my experience, I'd actually venture to guess roughly half of the shows with OVAs that I've seen also had them dubbed. In some cases, such as Kokoro Connect, that is a huge boon as the show would be incomplete without them. Still waiting for the ReLIFE sequel OVAs to be localized :/.
Some are dubbed while some just aren't, I believe it's something to do with the licence or the lack of demand to dub the OVAs (But I say ''Why not dub everything with the anime?" That way you can have everything on the dvds.) That's another show that has been dubbed but with the OVAs not dubbed, I really want to watch the ReLIFE Kanketsu-hen OVAs but no news on the dub.
And the Ancient Magus Bride OVAs too, one of my personal favourite dubs and still nothing on the OVAs..

BlueSpark wrote:
Spoiler:
Really, they did? Was there some sort of scandal (such as with Kobayashi's Dragon Maid) or did people simply find the performances lacking? I don't remember anything bad about K-On!'s dub (Well, other than I would've preferred to hear Funimation record all the songs in English :>).
The problem is bizarre; while the creators for the manga/light novels are different, they were both made as anime by the same company, KyoAni. The hatred of the dub version stems mainly from the fact that both K-On! season 1 and the second season of Haruhi were produced around the same time, and people thought the K-On dub was bad because of Haruhi's better dub.
Even stranger was the dubs for Clannad, Lucky Star and Strawberry Marshmellow were all bashed for the same reason and none of those anime have anything to do with it.
*sigh* why can't people just be happy? :)

There was another scandal in Hayate the Combat Butler, supposedly a dub hater edited the dub quality so there is a 'static' sound when characters are talking. I haven't bought the DVDs to see if the problem is still there, but there is no need for someone to illegally edit the dub quality just because he/she doesn't like dubs. But this didn't stop Sentai from dubbing 3 seasons.

BlueSpark wrote:
Spoiler:
Thanks for putting your recommendations list together. Still, I'm extremely hesitant to watch stuff that hasn't been localized. Since Chinese voice-acting might sound entirely different from Japanese, I'll probably give that a try.
It does sound a lot different to Japanese, Chinese is a tonal language so the words sound the same but the way you pronounce the word tone it mean something else. At first, it is a bit strange but you get used to it. Oh, I forgot about Silver Guardian, that's been dubbed.