Hello!

Let us get to know you!
ReZeroFan
I Like Anime

Hello!

Postby ReZeroFan » Thu Apr 26, 2018 6:19 pm

Hello Everbody!

I am a pretty new listener to the podcast. I think I have only been listening to it for about six months now. It helps me kill time at work and driving between home and school. This is definitely my favorite anime podcast that I have listened to. Andrew and Chris work really hard on it and it shows. Where I live I don’t really have too many people I can talk about anime with, so I decided to try these forums out!

So I guess I should tell everyone a little about myself! I am 23 year old college student and I work night stock currently at a grocery store. I relatively recent otaku I guess you could say. The first show I “truly” watched was Fullmetal Alchemist Brotherhood. From there I just kind of kept going down the anime rabbit hole. My favorite show though is Re:Zero but I’m guessing you got that from my username. Some of my other favorite shows though are Your Lie in April, Konosuba, and Violet Evergarden. I don’t really have any particular favorite genres. I just watch whatever peeks my interest really.

If you have any questions you would like to ask me feel free! I’m always looking for new friends to chat with!

Thanks!

BlueSpark
Anime Junky

Re: Hello!

Postby BlueSpark » Fri Apr 27, 2018 2:39 am

New members are always appreciated. So welcome, make yourself comfortable ;).

I've heard so much fervent praise for Re:Zero - unfortunately, as a dub purist, I've been out of luck. But Funimation announced its localization for June (I believe), so I'll be able to enjoy the show eventually.

Since you liked Your Lie in April and Violet Evergarden, both of which are primarily dramas, I feel obligated to recommend trying out my all-time favorite, ef - A Tale of Memories. Consider checking it out if you're in the mood to have your feels shaken :>.

Now, every forum worth its name has to have an initiation ritual for applicants. Actually, it doesn't, I just made that up. But I have a tradition of serving each new member with a unique question. So here's yours: Do you prefer to watch different kinds of shows depending on your mood/mindset at the time? Or do you let the show influence your mood instead?

If you're looking for some interactive entertainment, maybe the forum game I came up with could be interesting. Feel free to take a look via the link in my signature :).
Know a decent number of anime characters? Check out my forum game!

MojaveRena
I Like Anime

Postby MojaveRena » Fri Apr 27, 2018 5:16 am

Hi! Welcome to Otaku Spirit! ::hi::

I'm glad you enjoyed Re:Zero, that was easily the best anime of Spring 2016. I would totally love to rewatch it soon. Oh, Konosuba! Hilarious show, you might like 'Baka and Test' or 'D-Frag!' if you like comedy anime like me.

Now it's a tradition here to ask questions to new users, so here's one for you: What would be your dream anime? Would it include all of your favourite characters and/or setting or something unique?

I hope you have a great time here and make some good friends on the forums.
---
BlueSpark wrote: But Funimation announced its localization for June (I believe), so I'll be able to enjoy the show eventually.
I have good news for you! FUNimation has released the cast for the English dub version and I found some evidence it will be released this summer. Should be good fun. 8-)
English Voice actors: https://www.animenewsnetwork.com/news/2018-03-04/funimation-announces-re-zero-anime-english-dub-cast/.128497
Possible Release Date: https://www.reddit.com/r/Re_Zero/comments/7ybyen/update_for_the_rezero_english_dub/
---

BlueSpark
Anime Junky

Postby BlueSpark » Fri Apr 27, 2018 5:57 am

MojaveRena wrote:you might like 'Baka and Test' or 'D-Frag!' if you like comedy anime like me.
Very much seconded. Baka and Test is my #1 comedy anime, and D-Frag! shares a lot of its style. Konosuba sounds like an absolute riot from all I've heard, but alas, it's not on my list because of the "no dub" situation.

Also, thanks for linking the articles, Rena. But I'll refrain from taking a peek since I prefer to be surprised by the voice cast when I start watching :).

ReZeroFan
I Like Anime

Postby ReZeroFan » Fri Apr 27, 2018 12:34 pm

I am very grateful for such a warm welcome from you BlueSpark!

I've heard so much fervent praise for Re:Zero - unfortunately, as a dub purist, I've been out of luck.
Well I'm going to have to add to that fervent praise for the show haha. But I won't annoy you with a fanboy rant about it ;) . I am like you though BlueSpark and like a good dub when I can watch it. I just also like to watch sub to keep up with new shows and to be able to be apart of the conversation. You should have seen how happy I was though once Funimation did announce a dub for Re:Zero. I instantly went online and bought the limited edition blu ray of it. Or at least the part 1 of it that was released. So I hope you get the chance to watch it and like it. Be sure to tell me if you do!

Since you liked Your Lie in April and Violet Evergarden, both of which are primarily dramas, I feel obligated to recommend trying out my all-time favorite, ef - A Tale of Memories.
I will definitely add that to my ever growing list of anime to watch haha. I am sorry to say that I have never heard of it before though. Mind if I ask for a quick pitch? But either way I do hope to check it out sometime in the future.

So here's yours: Do you prefer to watch different kinds of shows depending on your mood/mindset at the time? Or do you let the show influence your mood instead?
This question seems really fun so thanks for it! I think I prefer to watch different kinds of shows depending on my mood at the time. If I don't watch something I am not in the mood for I lose interest pretty quick in it. Even if it is a great show. Though once I have started watching a show and have gotten into it, it can definitely start to influence the mood that I am in. I think that is why I have such a huge list of anime to watch though. I will be in the mood to watch one show one minute and then the next I'll be in the mood for something completely different. Hope that answers your question well enough!

Very much seconded. Baka and Test is my #1 comedy anime, and D-Frag! shares a lot of its style.
I did watch Baka and Test a while ago and I thought it was pretty hilarious from what I can remember of it. D-Frag! is not one I have seen yet though so I'll look into watching it. Thanks for the suggestions from both you and Rena!

ReZeroFan
I Like Anime

Postby ReZeroFan » Fri Apr 27, 2018 12:59 pm

Thanks for the warm welcome MojaveRena!

I'm glad you enjoyed Re:Zero, that was easily the best anime of Spring 2016. I would totally love to rewatch it soon.
It's good to see that I am not the only Re:Zero fan here! I just connected with that show so much, so its nice to hear other people enjoyed it also.

Oh, Konosuba! Hilarious show, you might like 'Baka and Test' or 'D-Frag!' if you like comedy anime like me.
I appreciate the suggestions! Baka and Test I got to watch a while back and I did find the show hilarious. So great suggestion there! D-Frag! I have not seen yet though so that is one I will definitely check out some time in the future. Comedies are extremely fun to watch when I'm in the right mood.

What would be your dream anime? Would it include all of your favourite characters and/or setting or something unique?
A dream anime.... that it definitely a thought provoking question haha. I think my dream anime would be something completely unique in setting and characters. As much as I would love to have characters like Rem and Subaru in my story, I think they work so well because they are part of their own worlds. I have always wanted an anime that told the story of a soldier in World War 1. It could be about him just trying to make it through the war trying to get back to his family or a loved one. I would want more realism in it so no giant mechs or magic. I think the setting of World War 1 also has a lot of untapped potential in it. I haven't thought about the details of it to much though. So I hope that answers your question satisfactory enough. Thanks!

MojaveRena
I Like Anime

Postby MojaveRena » Sat Apr 28, 2018 12:20 pm

Bluespark wrote:
Spoiler:
Very much seconded. Baka and Test is my #1 comedy anime, and D-Frag! shares a lot of its style. Konosuba sounds like an absolute riot from all I've heard, but alas, it's not on my list because of the "no dub" situation.

Also, thanks for linking the articles, Rena. But I'll refrain from taking a peek since I prefer to be surprised by the voice cast when I start watching :).
Konosuba is definitely worth watching but I do agree with you, it's rather odd a dub didn't come out for this..

You're welcome. I see, I won't ruin it for you. ;)

---

ReZeroFan wrote:
Spoiler:
Thanks for the warm welcome MojaveRena!

It's good to see that I am not the only Re:Zero fan here! I just connected with that show so much, so its nice to hear other people enjoyed it also.
You're welcome, I really enjoyed the characters in that anime too.

ReZeroFan wrote:
Spoiler:
A dream anime.... that it definitely a thought provoking question haha. I think my dream anime would be something completely unique in setting and characters. As much as I would love to have characters like Rem and Subaru in my story, I think they work so well because they are part of their own worlds. I have always wanted an anime that told the story of a soldier in World War 1. It could be about him just trying to make it through the war trying to get back to his family or a loved one. I would want more realism in it so no giant mechs or magic. I think the setting of World War 1 also has a lot of untapped potential in it. I haven't thought about the details of it to much though. So I hope that answers your question satisfactory enough. Thanks!
That sounds like a powerful and touching anime... I am imagining a biography of the main character's bad experiences of the war but he gets taken prisoner and has to escape from a prison camp? Maybe he is the only one alive on the battlefield and has to survive somehow?
You're right, there are hundreds of possibilities for episodes in a WW1 anime. :)

They should definitely make your dream anime come true one day, I would love to see that if possible.
I'm not sure what my dream anime would be.. I always wanted to see a new Higurashi series but set during the winter. Maybe with all the snow, it would add a darker atmosphere? No idea what the story would be like.

BlueSpark
Anime Junky

Postby BlueSpark » Sun Apr 29, 2018 6:32 am

ReZeroFan wrote:I am sorry to say that I have never heard of it before though. Mind if I ask for a quick pitch?
That's nothing to feel sorry for - the series isn't talked about that much. It features two central couples (more precisely, one budding couple and one love triangle). The setting is almost completely grounded in reality, yet the series has a bit of a magical air to it (in part owing to studio Shaft's quirky animation and direction style). One character has a special condition that presents a great hurdle in forming a relationship.

Most importantly, it oozes sentimental drama (most people would call it melodrama, though I don't like the stigma that term carries). If you're like me, you'll be rooting for the characters, suffering with them, rejoicing with them. Last but not least, there are satisfying (at least in my mind) conclusions to both romance stories.

MojaveRena wrote:I'm not sure what my dream anime would be.. I always wanted to see a new Higurashi series
I've always thought When They Cry to be an excellent candidate for a prequel. I'd be hella interested in a story (arc) focused on Satoshi, and maybe some more backstory regarding the dam incident.