Destined to Anime

Let us get to know you!
DigitalSpaceman
I Like Anime

Destined to Anime

Postby DigitalSpaceman » Thu May 17, 2018 12:56 am

Hey everyone, i'm new to the forums as of today and am here to introduce myself. I have been listening through the casts as I work the last few weeks and thought i would join the discussion.

I started off by being introduced to the Bleach manga when I was 11 or 12 (am 22 now) which instantly became one of my favorite stories of all time. I read lots of manga over the next 7 years but eventually fell out of the habit. In summer 2016 I rediscovered manga for some reason, i guess i was just bored, and got into anime instead. Since then I've been bingeing shows with a couple of small breaks.

I have never payed attention to season's or releases prior to listening to the podcast, but I'm planning to follow a couple summer 2018 shows, so that will be fun!

Re:Creators (Which I picked up because of Andrew's gushing), Dagashi Kashi, Princess Principle are my favorites from the last dozen or so shows I've watched. I also watched Comet Lucifer recently, which truly fought to be among the worst anime I have ever watched. A few of my all time favorite anime are Neon Genesis, Baccano, Stein's Gate and Shimoneta.

I have been following the Berserk manga since 2014 and fervently believe it is the best story created by mankind. I haven't caught up in awhile since he went on hiatus to draw that manga about the loli who peed on the MC to power him up or something (Thats right, the reason i hate lolis is because they cucked me). You might want to check that one out Chris. The original Berserk anime is pretty good but the new ones make me cringe. I also have a soft spot for snafu, it and its girls go way farther for me than the similar shows.

Nice to meet you all!
Last edited by DigitalSpaceman on Wed May 23, 2018 12:51 am, edited 1 time in total.

MojaveRena
I Love Anime

Re: Destined to Anime

Postby MojaveRena » Thu May 17, 2018 1:18 pm

Hi! Welcome to the Otaku Spirit forums!

DigitalSpaceman wrote:I have never payed attention to season's or releases prior to listening to the podcast, but I'm planning to follow a couple summer 2018 shows, so that will be fun!
Oh cool, which anime do you plan on watching? I really like the look of "Harukana Recieve" "FLCL Alternative" and "Yuragi-sou no Yuuna-san" from Summer 2018. "Non Non Biyori Vacation" and "Isekai Maou to Shoukan Shoujo" - those I'm really looking forward to.

DigitalSpaceman wrote:Princess Principle are my favorites from the last dozen or so shows I've watched. I also watched Comet Lucifer recently, which truly fought to be among the worst anime I have ever watched. A few of my all time favorite anime are Neon Genesis, Baccano, Stein's Gate and Shimoneta.
Princess Principle was a favourite of mine too when it was airing, it is getting a movie soon too (I think it is 6 movies or something?).
I have to say, I am happy you like Steins;Gate - now that was an awesome show! Are you watching Steins;Gate 0 from this season? If so, let me know what you think of it so far. (I'm at episode 3)

DigitalSpaceman wrote:I haven't caught up in awhile since he went on hiatus to draw that manga about the loli who peed on the MC to power him up or something (Thats right, the reason i hate lolis is because they cucked me).
Which manga was that? I have read a lot of weird manga myself but I haven't heard of that manga content. It's a shame you don't like lolis anymore because of that reason, but don't blame yourself about it. (I have a similar problem with flat-chested tsundere characters in anime.. thankfully I had a new friend here help me out about it and now I think different. ;) )

I hope you enjoy your time here! Have a good day. ^^

DigitalSpaceman
I Like Anime

Postby DigitalSpaceman » Thu May 17, 2018 3:46 pm

Thanks!

MojaveRena wrote:Oh cool, which anime do you plan on watching? I really like the look of "Harukana Recieve" "FLCL Alternative" and "Yuragi-sou no Yuuna-san" from Summer 2018. "Non Non Biyori Vacation" and "Isekai Maou to Shoukan Shoujo" - those I'm really looking forward to.

I haven't looked around much yet but overlord 3, Harukana Recieve, and Back Street Girls are on my list.

MojaveRena wrote:Princess Principle was a favourite of mine too when it was airing, it is getting a movie soon too (I think it is 6 movies or something?).
I have to say, I am happy you like Steins;Gate - now that was an awesome show! Are you watching Steins;Gate 0 from this season? If so, let me know what you think of it so far. (I'm at episode 3)

Ya i'm excited for those movies, I'm wondering how long they are going to be. As for Steins;Gate I'm scared to start that one before its done because I'm a binge watcher lol.

MojaveRena wrote:Which manga was that? I have read a lot of weird manga myself but I haven't heard of that manga content. It's a shame you don't like lolis anymore because of that reason, but don't blame yourself about it. (I have a similar problem with flat-chested tsundere characters in anime.. thankfully I had a new friend here help me out about it and now I think different. ;) )

https://myanimelist.net/manga/61027/Giganto_Makhia
I don't actually hate the lolies they just steal everything that is good from me.

BlueSpark
Anime Junky

Postby BlueSpark » Fri May 18, 2018 3:39 am

I hope you feel welcome already in our cozy little community. I believe you're actually one of the younger members at 22. Which doesn't really matter - anime provides entertainment for all ages. Source: me, 31 years old, having a blast watching high-school girls drink tea and (sometimes) play instruments after class ;).

Seeing Shimoneta as one of your top choices is interesting :]. I rather liked the show, myself. Some scenes teetered on the edge of going too far even for me, but overall, it was great fun. Especially with me being an English-dub lover, but non-native speaker - risqué slang for days :D.

DigitalSpaceman wrote:As for Steins;Gate I'm scared to start that one before its done because I'm a binge watcher lol.
Hey, a kindred soul :). I've never gotten into the weekly viewing format, myself. I need to fully consume one show in a short period of time, then move on to the next. Helps me keep track of all that's happening and not forget important details over the course of several weeks.

Also, Steins;Gate is the bees knees. I can't wait to watch Zero once it's finished airing.

Since you're a new initiate, I'll grace you with a patented BlueSpark random question as customary: Can you think of an anime (or manga) character making a surprisingly evil/immoral choice who you thought was 'better than that'? Did your opinion of the character drop as a result, or could you understand their motivation and forgive them?

Lastly, I'll conclude with some sly self-promotion: The forum game I created is all about finding (serious and/or fun) connections between different characters in anime and related media. The link's in my signature - please feel free to stop by and join in the fun if you think it's up your alley!
Last edited by BlueSpark on Fri May 18, 2018 1:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Know a decent number of anime characters? Check out my forum game!

MojaveRena
I Love Anime

Postby MojaveRena » Fri May 18, 2018 5:32 am

DigitalSpaceman wrote:I haven't looked around much yet but overlord 3, Harukana Recieve, and Back Street Girls are on my list.
Harukana Recieve does look to be a good summer anime, it reminds me a lot about Keijo, if you have seen that anime.

DigitalSpaceman wrote:Ya i'm excited for those movies, I'm wondering how long they are going to be. As for Steins;Gate I'm scared to start that one before its done because I'm a binge watcher lol.
I'm not sure either, I hope they are full-length movies.
Ah OK! I understand. Watching airing anime can feel like you are trying to keep up with everyone else, so watching in your own time is sometimes best.

DigitalSpaceman wrote:https://myanimelist.net/manga/61027/Giganto_Makhia
I don't actually hate the lolies they just steal everything that is good from me.
Ah, so that's what manga it was. What characters do you like? Do you like strong-willed characters or shy/innocent characters?

DigitalSpaceman
I Like Anime

Postby DigitalSpaceman » Fri May 18, 2018 11:17 am

BlueSpark wrote:I hope you feel welcome already in our cozy little community. I believe you're actually one of the younger members at 22. Which doesn't really matter - anime provides entertainment for all ages. Source: me, 31 years old, having a blast watching high-school girls drink tea and (sometimes) play instruments after class ;).

Take care of me sempais! Indeed the first episode of Neon Genesis aired about a month before I was born. Like me, stuff from the 90's is great. 8-)

BlueSpark wrote:Seeing Shimoneta as one of your top choices is interesting :]. I rather liked the show, myself. Some scenes teetered on the edge of going too far even for me, but overall, it was great fun. Especially with me being an English-dub lover, but non-native speaker - risqué slang for days :D.

Shimoneta is awesome for sure, it convey's a powerful message through it's intense use of ecchi where no other anime I know of really USES ecchi for anything but fan service (I still love ecchi don't get me wrong).

BlueSpark wrote:Hey, a kindred soul :). I've never gotten into the weekly viewing format, myself. I need to fully consume one show in a short period of time, then move on to the next. Helps me keep track of all that's happening and not forget important details over the course of several weeks.

Ya I usually blow through most 12 ep anime in about 2 days. I'm a little worried about keeping multiple shows running over the course of multiple months, so I'm only going to grab a couple from the season. I foresee having to re watch a good portion of the beginning of some of them towards the end of the season though.

BlueSpark wrote:Since you're a new initiate, I'll grace you with a patented BlueSpark random question as customary: Can you think of an anime (or manga) character making a surprisingly evil/immoral choice who you thought was 'better than that'? Did your opinion of the character drop as a result, or could you understand their motivation and forgive them?

The immediate (and possibly obvious) first character that springs to mind for me is Griffith from Berserk when he does his thing at the end of the Golden age arc. I remember staying up till like 6 in the morning the night I was first reading through this stuff it was so good. Do I understand his motivation? Absolutely, few characters have had such believable conviction established as Griffith. Do I forgive him? hmmm maybe. As for my opinion of him, it changed for sure, but I can't consider him inherently bad, I like his conviction.
Spoiler:
Of course now I think of the second evil choice he made during the sacrifice, which was to rape Caska as he sensually looked Guts in the eyes. This one is a lot harder. Do I understand his motivation? Again yes, he felt a need to re-assert some power over the two of them. They had gained a sort of independence from him at the same time as he had been turned into a powerless man (this is putting it very simply) Can I forgive him? idk, I certainly wouldn't want Guts to ever forgive him. In my opinion this scene actually grants a lot more for you to feel sorry about in terms of Griffith rather than Caska or Guts. In a way even though he is at this point simply taking what he wants from them because he screwed it all up for himself I still want him to succeed. Almost as much as I want to watch Guts cut his neko in half.

MojaveRena wrote:Harukana Recieve does look to be a good summer anime, it reminds me a lot about Keijo, if you have seen that anime.

Haha I have seen Keijo!! I really liked it, one of those anime that a lot of people were iffy on. I just watched with intention of not really caring about the story and instead paying attention to the shounen aspects. That is obviously what it was made for, and it hit the note well.

MojaveRena wrote:Ah, so that's what manga it was. What characters do you like? Do you like strong-willed characters or shy/innocent characters?

Hmm, my absolute favorite characters are usually smart, and have a good amount of inner dialogue. Hikigaya (Snafu), Shinji (NGE), and Rintaro (Steins) are some examples. The real key is that I will love any type of character at all that is believable and well thought out. This of course means that ditherers make me want to pull my hair out. Somehow despite this I still love harems.

MojaveRena
I Love Anime

Postby MojaveRena » Sat May 19, 2018 5:27 am

DigitalSpaceman wrote:Haha I have seen Keijo!! I really liked it, one of those anime that a lot of people were iffy on. I just watched with intention of not really caring about the story and instead paying attention to the shounen aspects. That is obviously what it was made for, and it hit the note well.
I know what you mean! I just watched it for the ecchi parts and not for the story. Oh yeah, and you know the anime was really well-loved by the fans because Keijo has become a real sport.

DigitalSpaceman wrote:Hmm, my absolute favorite characters are usually smart, and have a good amount of inner dialogue. Hikigaya (Snafu), Shinji (NGE), and Rintaro (Steins) are some examples. The real key is that I will love any type of character at all that is believable and well thought out. This of course means that ditherers make me want to pull my hair out. Somehow despite this I still love harems.
Okabe Rintaro is my favourite male character in anime too. You're a bit like me then, you prefer a character that has depth to them. Harem anime can have some oblivious characters in them, but some of them I like too.

DigitalSpaceman
I Like Anime

Postby DigitalSpaceman » Sat May 19, 2018 11:15 pm

MojaveRena wrote:I know what you mean! I just watched it for the ecchi parts and not for the story. Oh yeah, and you know the anime was really well-loved by the fans because Keijo has become a real sport.

Wow this awesome to know lol.

MojaveRena wrote:Okabe Rintaro is my favourite male character in anime too. You're a bit like me then, you prefer a character that has depth to them. Harem anime can have some oblivious characters in them, but some of them I like too.

The girls are just too good to leave just cause their MC is dumb.

Chris
Site Co-Founder

Postby Chris » Mon May 21, 2018 5:50 pm

welcome digi space

;-p

hope you have yourself alot of fun and make plenty of friends

BlueSpark
Anime Junky

Postby BlueSpark » Tue May 22, 2018 7:51 am

DigitalSpaceman wrote:Like me, stuff from the 90's is great. 8-)
I hope you won't hate your senpai for this, but I have a really difficult relationship with older animes (roughly pre-2005). I tend to enjoy the newer-generation style much more. I don't doubt that you're awesome, though ^_~.

DigitalSpaceman wrote:Shimoneta is awesome for sure, it convey's a powerful message through it's intense use of ecchi where no other anime I know of really USES ecchi for anything but fan service (I still love ecchi don't get me wrong).
That's a very good point to make. Every once in a blue moon, you'll find a show like this which employs its ecchi elements as an integral part of the overarching concept. I still remember how Aria: The Scarlet Ammo uses its lewd scenes to fuel the protagonist's hysteria mode. Or how in Yamada's First Time, Yamada positively enforces ecchi moments because she (thinks she) wants to be looked at as sexually desirable.

DigitalSpaceman wrote:Ya I usually blow through most 12 ep anime in about 2 days. I'm a little worried about keeping multiple shows running over the course of multiple months, so I'm only going to grab a couple from the season. I foresee having to re watch a good portion of the beginning of some of them towards the end of the season though.
For me, it's usually 4 episodes per day (more on free holidays/weekends), so we're pretty close on that front. I usually manage to not let myself think too much about what's currently airing, but sometimes I just can't help it and have to play the dreaded waiting game. Happened last season with Violet Evergarden, and right now I'm looking forward to a whooping 3 series continuations / extra stories: Steins;Gate, Full Metal Panic! and Sword Art Online. For non-simuldubbed animes, it's even worse (since I'm a dub-only watcher).

DigitalSpaceman wrote:Hmm, my absolute favorite characters are usually smart, and have a good amount of inner dialogue. Hikigaya (Snafu), Shinji (NGE), and Rintaro (Steins) are some examples. The real key is that I will love any type of character at all that is believable and well thought out.
Sounds like you would get a kick out of Light Yagami and Lelouch vi Britannia. Both of them were the shining beacons of their respective shows in my opinion (I mean, that's what the psychological genre is all about).
Keima Katsuragi, my favorite male anime protagonist, also sort of satisfies these criteria. I admire how he stays true to himself and makes the best out of his flawed (in the sense that all humans are inherently flawed) character against all odds.
Know a decent number of anime characters? Check out my forum game!