The Phone is Ringing... OMG!

Let us get to know you!
User avatar
GeekBoi
I Like Anime
Posts: 11
Joined: Tue Jan 30, 2018 12:23 am

The Phone is Ringing... OMG!

Postby GeekBoi » Sun Jun 10, 2018 2:34 am

Hi Everyone,

I hope you are all well and living the dream on this fine and beautiful day.

I'm Ben (aka GeekBoi). Apart from cozy nights in and long walks along the beach, I like anime. Shocking, I know, right?

I'm a little older than your average viewer (I saw Akira in the theatre when it was released here in the UK in1991), I am married with children (somehow, amazingly) and although I'm not up to date with everything I am always eager to give something a go (I think that's how I ended up being married?), but I also know what I like.

Favourite Anime (subject to change and in no particular order):

Paranoia Agent
Fullmetal Alchemist: Brotherhood
Last Exile
Yu Yu Hakusho
GITS: SAC

Currently Watching:

My Hero Academia
Darling in the FranXX
Yu Yu Hakusho (again, for the gazillionth time)
Children of the Whales

Up Next:

Legend of the Galactic Heroes (original... No, really, I'll do it this time).

So, that's me. I can't say I'm going to be super active (time, work, family etc) but I'll dip in and out when I can.

Thanks to Andrew and Chris for providing such a platform for us to engage and I hope to giving out internet Hi Fives in the near future.

Take care,

Ben.
Image

User avatar
Chris
Site Co-Founder
Posts: 2394
Joined: Fri Jan 17, 2014 7:37 pm

Re: The Phone is Ringing... OMG!

Postby Chris » Sun Jun 10, 2018 6:39 am

GeekBoi wrote:Hi Everyone,

I hope you are all well and living the dream on this fine and beautiful day.

I'm Ben (aka GeekBoi). Apart from cozy nights in and long walks along the beach, I like anime. Shocking, I know, right?

I'm a little older than your average viewer (I saw Akira in the theatre when it was released here in the UK in1991), I am married with children (somehow, amazingly) and although I'm not up to date with everything I am always eager to give something a go (I think that's how I ended up being married?), but I also know what I like.

Favourite Anime (subject to change and in no particular order):

Paranoia Agent
Fullmetal Alchemist: Brotherhood
Last Exile
Yu Yu Hakusho
GITS: SAC

Currently Watching:

My Hero Academia
Darling in the FranXX
Yu Yu Hakusho (again, for the gazillionth time)
Children of the Whales

Up Next:

Legend of the Galactic Heroes (original... No, really, I'll do it this time).

So, that's me. I can't say I'm going to be super active (time, work, family etc) but I'll dip in and out when I can.

Thanks to Andrew and Chris for providing such a platform for us to engage and I hope to giving out internet Hi Fives in the near future.

Take care,

Ben.


Welcome Ben

I hope you find yourself a cozy place to hang out here

Have fun and chat it up.

;-)
Image

User avatar
Eira
Crazy About Anime
Posts: 347
Joined: Sun May 20, 2018 6:00 pm
Location: Australia

Re: The Phone is Ringing... OMG!

Postby Eira » Sun Jun 10, 2018 8:11 am

GeekBoi wrote:I'm Ben (aka GeekBoi). Apart from cozy nights in and long walks along the beach, I like anime. Shocking, I know, right?

I'm a little older than your average viewer (I saw Akira in the theatre when it was released here in the UK in1991), I am married with children (somehow, amazingly) and although I'm not up to date with everything I am always eager to give something a go (I think that's how I ended up being married?), but I also know what I like.

Nice to meet you, welcome to the fourmes, I’m also fairly new here (only a month or so) and I can tell you it’s been pretty good, not always the most active but there’s multiple posts daily so it’s enouh to enjoy it a lot, I hope you stick around and I look forward to getting to know you.

GeekBoi wrote:Favourite Anime (subject to change and in no particular order):
Paranoia Agent
Fullmetal Alchemist: Brotherhood
Last Exile
Yu Yu Hakusho
GITS: SAC

Yer defiantly shows I’ve heard good things about. Although weirdly enough I’ve never watched any of them, obviously been meaning to FMA: BH for a long time and YYH to. Both super popular so they’ve been on the backlog, I just haven’t done it yet.

GeekBoi wrote:Currently Watching:
My Hero Academia
Darling in the FranXX
Yu Yu Hakusho (again, for the gazillionth time)
Children of the Whales

Up Next:
Legend of the Galactic Heroes (original... No, really, I'll do it this time).

Good luck man, I’ve also been thinking about watching LotGH since it’s on HIDIVE now and the new one is out and everything, when you start let me know and if I’m not too busy I can try to watch it along with you.

GeekBoi wrote:So, that's me. I can't say I'm going to be super active (time, work, family etc) but I'll dip in and out when I can.

Don’t stress too much, just hope you do stick around and send some time here when you can, look forward to seeing your posts and getting to know you.

User avatar
GeekBoi
I Like Anime
Posts: 11
Joined: Tue Jan 30, 2018 12:23 am

Re: The Phone is Ringing... OMG!

Postby GeekBoi » Sun Jun 10, 2018 10:31 pm

Chris wrote:Welcome Ben

I hope you find yourself a cozy place to hang out here

Have fun and chat it up.

;-)


Thanks Chris, very much appreciated.
Image

User avatar
GeekBoi
I Like Anime
Posts: 11
Joined: Tue Jan 30, 2018 12:23 am

Re: The Phone is Ringing... OMG!

Postby GeekBoi » Sun Jun 10, 2018 10:50 pm

Eira wrote:Nice to meet you, welcome to the fourmes, I’m also fairly new here (only a month or so) and I can tell you it’s been pretty good, not always the most active but there’s multiple posts daily so it’s enouh to enjoy it a lot, I hope you stick around and I look forward to getting to know you.


You see, Eira, you say that now, I give it six months, 3 if I put on weight... Seriously though, thank you, it appreciated.

Eira wrote:Yer defiantly shows I’ve heard good things about. Although weirdly enough I’ve never watched any of them, obviously been meaning to FMA: BH for a long time and YYH to. Both super popular so they’ve been on the backlog, I just haven’t done it yet.


Oh, I hear you on that one, but that's the problem now, especially with seasonal anime, there isn't that breathing space to fit everything in. It isn't like back in the day where you had maybe 3 shows at the most that you were watching at the same time (due to cost, availability and other external factors)... Now, get off my lawn!

Eira wrote:Good luck man, I’ve also been thinking about watching LotGH since it’s on HIDIVE now and the new one is out and everything, when you start let me know and if I’m not too busy I can try to watch it along with you.


It's pretty much the only reason why I'm still subscribed to HiDive at the moment, but oh, what a reason. I've sseen the first 4 episodes a few times now, but I will get there, honest.

That's also a really kind offer, having a "Watch Buddy" may spur me on, I'll keep that in mind, thank you.

Eira wrote:Don’t stress too much, just hope you do stick around and send some time here when you can, look forward to seeing your posts and getting to know you.


No stress, promise. In fact, I've been a member for a while now, doing a bit of lurking, but as I become more and more disillusioned with Facebook I thought that it was time to jump in.

I look forward to getting to know everyone here (and seeing how much html I can remember from the forums I was on back in the day).

Take care and I'm sure we'll talk again soon.

Ben.
Image

User avatar
fragoff
Anime Junky
Posts: 794
Joined: Mon Feb 20, 2017 4:09 am

Re: The Phone is Ringing... OMG!

Postby fragoff » Sun Jun 10, 2018 10:51 pm

Well, you will be happy to know that there are a couple of other old bast...persons in here.
I am old enought to have seen grendizer on tv!
Enjoy your stay.
"Tolerance is the lube that helps slip the didlo of dysfunction into the neko of a civilized society" -Plato

User avatar
GeekBoi
I Like Anime
Posts: 11
Joined: Tue Jan 30, 2018 12:23 am

Re: The Phone is Ringing... OMG!

Postby GeekBoi » Sun Jun 10, 2018 11:53 pm

fragoff wrote:Well, you will be happy to know that there are a couple of other old bast...persons in here.


I never thought I'd see the day where I identify with the Landlady from Kung Fu Hustle (Yuen Qui).

Yeah, HK cinema is another big passion of mine.

fragoff wrote:I am old enought to have seen grendizer on tv!
Enjoy your stay.


Thanks fragoff, it's appreciated, but I gotta say...

Image
Image

User avatar
BlueSpark
I Bleed Anime
Posts: 1115
Joined: Thu Mar 02, 2017 11:23 am
Location: Germany

Re: The Phone is Ringing... OMG!

Postby BlueSpark » Mon Jun 11, 2018 3:14 am

Oh Boi, another Geek! Well, before this gets awkward (which is very much possible given my peculiar sense of humor), let me just say hi. We're a comparatively old community (referring to the average age of its members), so you're probably going to meet more people like me (31 years) than high schoolers ;).

Unfortunately, it might be tricky for the two of us to establish a common ground for chatting because it looks like our tastes in anime couldn't be farther apart (I'm a romance and drama fanboy and don't much care for action, mecha or space shows). But fret not, there's a broad audience for the genres you love among the Otaku Spirit forumites. I'm sure you'll meet them (figuratively speaking) in due time.

GeekBoi wrote:Oh, I hear you on that one, but that's the problem now, especially with seasonal anime, there isn't that breathing space to fit everything in. It isn't like back in the day where you had maybe 3 shows at the most that you were watching at the same time (due to cost, availability and other external factors)...
Aaand then there's weirdos like me who forego all currently airing anime and only watch completed shows :P. But yeah, I can imagine keeping up with all of the seasonal broadcasts to be quite tiring.

Anyway, as an established ritual, I will now confront you, the new forum initiate, with a spontaneous random question: How much value do you put on a strong visual differentiation of the characters appearing in an anime series? Do you prefer a vast array of eccentric, different looks, or are you in favor of a more uniform style (which might make it harder to tell certain characters apart)? Feel free to share a concrete example or two if any come to mind.

Also as per usual, I cordially invite you to take a look at my forum game - just follow the link in my signature. We could still use one more participant to conclude the most recent round, so if it looks fun to you, give it a stab!
Image
Know a decent number of anime characters? Check out my forum game!

User avatar
GeekBoi
I Like Anime
Posts: 11
Joined: Tue Jan 30, 2018 12:23 am

Re: The Phone is Ringing... OMG!

Postby GeekBoi » Mon Jun 11, 2018 11:58 am

BlueSpark wrote:Oh Boi, another Geek! Well, before this gets awkward (which is very much possible given my peculiar sense of humor), let me just say hi. We're a comparatively old community (referring to the average age of its members), so you're probably going to meet more people like me (31 years) than high schoolers ;).


High schoolers... pft... I have enough of them in my life. They live in the basement and keep trying to escape, but they soon calm down WHEN THEY GET THE HOSE AGAIN!

Only joking, because I wouldn't be foolish enough to admit such a thing on a public forum... Hahaha.... Haha... ;).

*For the purpose of clarity (and not wanting to be arrested on suspicion of kidnapping), my eldest has just finished high school last and is currently doing her a-levels.

BlueSpark wrote:Unfortunately, it might be tricky for the two of us to establish a common ground for chatting because it looks like our tastes in anime couldn't be farther apart (I'm a romance and drama fanboy and don't much care for action, mecha or space shows). But fret not, there's a broad audience for the genres you love among the Otaku Spirit forumites. I'm sure you'll meet them (figuratively speaking) in due time.


24 hours and I already have a nemesis.

BlueSpark wrote:Aaand then there's weirdos like me who forego all currently airing anime and only watch completed shows :P. But yeah, I can imagine keeping up with all of the seasonal broadcasts to be quite tiring.


I was right there with you a few years back, watching what I wanted to watch when I wanted to watch it, then my eldest got into Anime and that kinda took over our viewing habits for a while ("2 seasons ago? But that's old!"... Actual quote from said eldest).

BlueSpark wrote:Anyway, as an established ritual, I will now confront you, the new forum initiate, with a spontaneous random question: How much value do you put on a strong visual differentiation of the characters appearing in an anime series? Do you prefer a vast array of eccentric, different looks, or are you in favor of a more uniform style (which might make it harder to tell certain characters apart)? Feel free to share a concrete example or two if any come to mind.


For me it has always been about story. It could be drawn in black and white using stuck men, but as long as I care or get invested in the story then I can let most things go. However, to answer your question directly, out of the two options presented, I'd say that I prefer a more varied looks (eg Gatchaman Crowds, Kokkoku, Gurren Lagann etc).

BlueSpark wrote:Also as per usual, I cordially invite you to take a look at my forum game - just follow the link in my signature. We could still use one more participant to conclude the most recent round, so if it looks fun to you, give it a stab!


Thank you and I'll give the link a goosey gander when I have a minute.
Image

User avatar
fragoff
Anime Junky
Posts: 794
Joined: Mon Feb 20, 2017 4:09 am

Re: The Phone is Ringing... OMG!

Postby fragoff » Mon Jun 11, 2018 8:54 pm

GeekBoi wrote:
fragoff wrote:I am old enought to have seen grendizer on tv!
Enjoy your stay.


Thanks fragoff, it's appreciated, but I gotta say...

Image


ouch! ::terrible::
"Tolerance is the lube that helps slip the didlo of dysfunction into the neko of a civilized society" -Plato