Podcast Catch Up Blog

Everything Else!
SethAmaha
Anime Junky

Re: Podcast Catch Up Blog

Postby SethAmaha » Wed Sep 12, 2018 1:40 am

Time for a fun one. This one goes out to all Rin/Len fans (Chris). This is Influencer is dead JesusP featuring Kagamine Rin and Kagamine Len with a video illustrated by Macosi and animated by Minus-P
phpBB [video]

Like so many Vocaloid songs, this the song and video tell a story. It tells of Influencers, in this case being Len as a Youtuber and Fashionista and Rin as a DJ, being big stars in their own right only to met their sudden deaths. But even in death they find themselves as stars in the hall of the dead, leading an afterlife no different than their lives.

The song is featured in the Exit Tunes Presents Dream Music3 album and can be bought through CDJapan. It is a great album by the way with many good songs featuring Rn and Len and I may feature in the future.

Now for a little history on the Kagamines. Rin and Len are known as the twin Vocaloids due to the fact that they were created using the same voice provider, Asami Shimoda, and because they actually came in the same package and being market as "2 vocaloids for the price of one". Officially, they are described as "1 soul in 2 bodies" and after a long meme war (it was not pretty), their official items are a banana for Len, because his hair supposedly resemble a pack of them, and an Orange for Rin because her bow gave the impression of orange leaves.

They were the fifth of the Crypton Future Media line of vocaloid and the second of the Character Vocal Series after Miku. They shar share the codename CV02 and their family name Kagamine is derived from the Kagami (mirror) and Ne (sound), alluding to their "1 soul in 2 bodies" concept.

SethAmaha
Anime Junky

Postby SethAmaha » Thu Sep 13, 2018 4:22 am

Most recent episode heard: Spring 2017 Anime Season Review Part 1 (6/24/2017)
--------------------------------------------------------------------------
Yeah,no more Blah blahs and more zeds. Zeds all the way.

Andrew is wrong. 18 is 3/4 of 24, not 2/3.

Junjou Romantica is Nozomi entertainment's way of screwing around with Andrew and I had a blast hearing Andrew squirm.I Nozomi or any other group is reading this, force him to do more BL just to hear him break

SethAmaha
Anime Junky

Postby SethAmaha » Fri Sep 14, 2018 5:12 am

Most recent episode heard:Gundam Origin Chronicle of Char and Sayla (7/26/2017)
Chris (on Eromanga Sensei): "I don't know, maybe its because its a lolicon show and that's why it works for me.
-It's always weird when he just comes out and admit it. Yeah, it didn't have a small, underage girl for me to drool over so it didn't work for me.

Yeah, I agree with the argument. Having shows on Netflix only does one of two things:
1)Encourages pirating of shows or
2)Causes shows to be lost in the void and forgotten about
I'll save every one the trouble and just say what everyone wants to say:
I HATE NETFLIX

Andrew (on FGO spending) : "I'm sad looking at my bank account"
-Oh poor Andrew, if only future you could talk to you now. $120 is but chump change compared to how much we spend on a monthly basis

Andrew (on FGO summoning): "maybe the Increase ratio is 2%. It has to be at least 2% or maybe 5"
-hahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha
*take deep breath*
hahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha
-------------------------------------------------------
I have a theory about Kado: the Right Answer

Yaha-kui zaShunina, this jerk

Is just Merlin in Disguise. If you could even call it a disguise. I mean, seriously; just because you decided to change your eye color and comb your hair doesn't mean I won't recognize you Merlin. I know, I always know.
I figured he was getting bored of killing everything in FGO and decided to star in an anime just for funs and giggles. Considering how he is, I don't see it being past him to do it.
Last edited by SethAmaha on Sat Sep 15, 2018 3:39 am, edited 1 time in total.

BlueSpark
I Bleed Anime

Postby BlueSpark » Fri Sep 14, 2018 5:54 am

SethAmaha wrote:I'll save every one the trouble and just say what everyone wants to say:
I HATE NETFLIX
I'll go through the trouble and add my 2 cents, though: Any show licensed by Netflix means a guaranteed dub shortly after it's finished airing. Frankly, that makes it objectively the best licensor for a fan like me.

Of course, I'm not "everyone," so I'm probably not included :P. Just throwing it out there as a differing opinion.
Know a decent number of anime characters? Check out my forum game!

SethAmaha
Anime Junky

Postby SethAmaha » Sat Sep 15, 2018 3:38 am

BlueSpark wrote:
SethAmaha wrote:I'll save every one the trouble and just say what everyone wants to say:
I HATE NETFLIX
I'll go through the trouble and add my 2 cents, though: Any show licensed by Netflix means a guaranteed dub shortly after it's finished airing. Frankly, that makes it objectively the best licensor for a fan like me.

Of course, I'm not "everyone," so I'm probably not included :P. Just throwing it out there as a differing opinion.

Its more of an annoyance for those of us who are watching simulcasts. Good examples for my two arguments:
-I went naughty and watched Fate/Apocrypha on a pirate site
-Lost song from this season was One I decided to wait till it comes out but I have already lost all care for ever watching that show and it doesn't help that absolutely no one is talking about it so there is even less incentive to go to it once it does come out.

Yeah, it might be good fr those who actually like dubs or only watch from DVDs/Blu-Rays but for everyone else it is a real killer. Until they get the whole simulcast thing together, I'm going to keep pirating because even if I do have a Netflix account, I simply don't have the patience to wait until they finally decide to release a show they already have.

SethAmaha
Anime Junky

Postby SethAmaha » Sat Sep 15, 2018 3:59 am

/Most recent episode heard: Horror and Thriller in Anime (8/19/2017)
I almost forgot to say this, but I finally found the episode where they finally said Isekai. It was in the Summer 2017 Anime Season Preview. It was mainly due to the fact that you had at least 2 shows that had Isekai in their names but at least we now know that they have only started saying isekai for about a year.
According to Google Trends, the word Isekai had a small and steady growth in use since early 2016, reaching its peak in July of 2018 and keeping a high rate of use since then. While they may be late to the party, they are at least within the time when the word had a huge jump in mid 2017.

So while I will agree that when it comes to horror in particular, there are not that many good examples of horror anime out there. What Anime, and Japan in general, does excel at is in thrillers. All good anime that people classify as "horror" is better put in thrillers and Japan just has a knack for it. I specially see it in it's live action thrillers. The American movies The Ring and The Grudge are both adaption of Japanese live action thrillers and as someone who has seen the originals, I can assure you that the Japanese are really good at building suspense and scaring you. I completely disagree with the assertion that the Japanese do not like jump scares. Again, if you look at their long live action catalog, you will find that jump scares are one of the prime elements they use and if you think about what a jump scare really is, anime does have very good examples of it. Scenes where characters believed to come face to face or at least make the viewer believe they have come face to face with a monster of some kind and do a false death or real death from a misconception is very common in anime. So once more, sure, Anime doesn't do many good horror shows lie Kowabon often, but thrillers are something Japan does a lot of and if you need examples, you can go and check out I can tell you a long list of shows you would not want to watch alone in the dark or even in broad daylight with friends for that matter.

SethAmaha
Anime Junky

Postby SethAmaha » Sat Sep 15, 2018 11:17 pm

After debating with myslef a lot again, I've decided on going short and easy this time around and hold the big article for next time. Today I will ferature one of my favorite Luka songs and a favorite from the composer. This is Luka Luka★Night Fever by Samfree
phpBB [video]

First released on Nico Nico Douga in February of 2009, later released for public sale on EXIT TUNES PRESENTS STARDOM 2, the song quickly drew in more than 1 Million views on Nico Nico DOuga and became an instant fan favorite. The popularity of the song earned it a spot on the Video Game Hatsune Miku: Project DIVA Extend in 2011, from where the video above is taken from, and the composer Samfree later used it and others in a conception album called Fever in late 2011. The unfortunate side of all this is that Samfree later died at the age of 31 in 2015. May he rest in peace.

Eira
Crazy About Anime

Postby Eira » Sun Sep 16, 2018 9:10 am

I HATE NETFLIX

Speak for yourself. While Netflix does some annoying things I don’t think you actually understand what Netflix does as a licensorer and it’s almost always way more then others do. Places like Crunchyroll mainly just pay shows for rights and then stream them with subtitles. Netflix likes to wait for the English dub to exsist which is why they usually take awhile to get stuff out.

Side note: thus it’s not an issue in japan and Netflix actually has way more anime in japan then it does here and is actually hugely important to the anime market.

But Netflix is more important when you think about what it does in terms of making shows that would otherwise not exsist be able to exsist. Like Devilman Cry Baby, you think Ultra-R rated, high concept, artsy stuff like that would be allowed to broadcast on television, no way. It’s only cause Netflix gave it money and a platform that it was made and the only reason it was allowed to simulcast Violet evergarden is cause they gave KyoAni enough money so that they didn’t have to force it out the door and we’re fine to wait for Netflix to have multiple region dubs in place so it could air the same date everywhere.

Now Crunchyroll has done this a few times with a few shows, space patrol lulucoll wouldn’t exsist without Crunchyroll but for the most part everything Netflix gets doesn’t just get payed once by them but gets huge funding from them and is helped by them from very early on and I respect what Netflix does and the importance it has overall to anime. I’m glad that it’s letting us get stuff we wouldn’t otherwise have even if that means sometimes we gotta wait a bit for shows.

SethAmaha
Anime Junky

Postby SethAmaha » Mon Sep 17, 2018 7:31 am

Most recent episode heard: Fall 2017 Anime Season Preview (9/09/2017)
Just one more year before I am completely caught up
So Chris still hasn't seen Elfen Lied? Chris, my friend, how have you gone all these years as an anime fan and still not seen that show? On a side note, I'm still glad Andrew is calling it correctly and saying LEED instead of LA-ID

I guess I'll put this in th podcast questions if he doesn't answer, but has Andrew gotten A saber Artoria copy yet?

Andrew, no more ExtRella. Don't add letters to words you know full well how they should be pronounced

Yes Andrew, I totally believe you when you say you only want Peach Beach for the gameplay. It has nothing at all to do for the bouncy physics and dissolving clothing

I see your arguments for the Netflix version of Death Note and mostly agree. Now I know you guys have seen the Japanese Live Action movies, but what about the drama version? In my opinion the drama was alright, not great but alright. What I did like about the drama version however, is that it did give Light a real personal reason for turning the way he did.

Chris (on Animegataris) ; "I don't know, its probably going to get very meta"
-You have no idea

SethAmaha
Anime Junky

Postby SethAmaha » Tue Sep 18, 2018 3:51 am

I did promise a long feature next time, and the reason was because, with this next song, I will now take everyone deeper into the rabbit hole that is Vocaloid. The song is a very popular one called Senbonzakuraby Whiteflame (Kurousa-P)
phpBB [video]

First released in 2011 through Nico Nico Douga, the song's theme is a drak representation on the westernization of Japan. Through the upbeat vocals and rhythm, the lyrics themselves talk about the rapid militaristic growth of the nation though more standardized military structure and weaponry. The song was later released for public sale in the 1st ANNIVERSARY! ALL THAT "Senbonzakura album and later through the KarenT label (a big Vocaloid label) and Various others. The song was later featured in the gameHatsune Miku: Project DIVA F in 2013, which was later released in North America in 2014 for the PS3 and Playstation Vita.

Personally, I recommend the V Love 25~Brave Heart~ album featuring othergreat songs avaibale now from CD Japan to get the song leagally.

Now as for the reason I mentioned the rabbit hole, I will now introduce the world of Utaite. Utaite, in essence, simply means artist who cover Vocaloid songs. One of my favorite bands of all time, Wagakki Band, first came out and amazed the fandom with their take on Senbonzakura.
phpBB [video]

Wagakki Band is a group whose genre is technically symphonic metal, mixing traditional Japanese Musical elements (known as Wagakki style) and western rock. The band started out as an Utaite band, having their first major Album, Vocalo Zanmai (now available Amazon and iTunes. Highly recommend the album. You will definitely love all the songs in it) featuring uniquely reimagined Vocaloid songs. The band later went on to become a normal band and create original music and were even featured in anime OP and EDs such as Sousei no Onmyouji, Holmes at Kyoto, and Sengoku Musou. This is a band I truly love and is dear to my heart personally since I saw them live at the Anime Expo back in 2015 alongside the Vocaloid IA.

I will now feature with Vocaloid songs, Utaite cover I personally have heard and though to be great cover for them. When it comes to Utaite, there are 2 basic types: Vocal over, and true covers. FOr Vocal over, these Utaite basically take the instrumental versions of the song, and sing the vocals themselves. Personally, I don;t like most of these types since they sound a bit jarring compared to the original and are not really artistic enough, though that is just my personal opinion. The True cover versions are those that remake not only the vocals, but the instrumental as well such as Wagakki Band. This is rare among Utaite as it requires a lot of work in their part but tend to have a unique take on each on and are my personal favorite form them.