Shoujo☆Kageki Revue Starlight

Talk About Shows Airing Now!
Mys145
I Bleed Anime

Postby Mys145 » Wed Jul 04, 2018 7:26 pm

Plot:

"Starlight" is the song and dance revue troupe loved throughout the world. Karen and Hikari make a promise with each other when they're young that one day they'll stand on that stage together. Time passes, and now the girls are 16 years old. Karen is very enthusiastic about the lessons she takes every day, holding her promise close to her heart. Hikari has transferred schools and is now away from Karen. But the cogs of fate turn, and the two are destined to meet again. The girls and other "Stage Girls" will compete in a mysterious audition process to gain acceptance into the revue.

Legal Streaming: https://www.hidive.com/tv/revue-starlight

Creator: Kinema Citrus
Director: Tomohiro Furukawa
Writer: Tatsuto Higuchi
Music: Tatsuya Katō
Studio: Kinema Citrus
Genre: Music
Episodes:

phpBB [video]

SethAmaha
Anime Junky

Re: Shoujo☆Kageki Revue Starlight

Postby SethAmaha » Sun Jul 15, 2018 5:04 am

Clearly the best thing HIDIVE was able to snag this season. It's visually high grade; the CG is barely noticable and very few stills. The action is pretty cool and the dancing/fighting pretty pleasing. I have no idea what the plot is going to be but It has my interest. The best thing thing I can compare it to would be a more grounded but cleaner Symphogear.
Last edited by SethAmaha on Thu Jul 19, 2018 4:40 am, edited 1 time in total.

Tori
Super NEET II

Postby Tori » Sun Jul 15, 2018 7:56 am

Yes! Really enjoyed this first episode. I'm a huge mark for Kunihiko Ikuhara's crazy style of directing and this show being directed by one of his students Tomohiro Furukawa really showed what he's good for on the second half of the episode. This is definitely my surprise of the season.
ON EXTENDED HIATUS
SEE YOU IN DISCORD

Imagehttp://myanimelist.net/animelist/ToriXtra

Kocurek1944
Super Otaku II

Postby Kocurek1944 » Sat Jul 21, 2018 10:18 am

I am SO into this show. I'm not expecting it to be as deep and thought provoking as Utena, but so far it really delivers. Great series to watch while waiting for upcoming Ikuni show.
And as a cool bonus Hikari-chan is voiced by Suzuko Mimori voice of Umi Sonoda from Love Live! School Idol Project.

SethAmaha
Anime Junky

Postby SethAmaha » Sun Jul 22, 2018 7:23 am

Episode 2
For a show that I still have no clue as to what is going on, I am enjoying the simply beautifully animated artstyle and scenes. The voice acting is pretty good, especially when they want to show the clear difference in talent, and the actions scenes are very entertaining. Can't wait for the next episode and I specially can't wait to figure out what exactly is happening.

SethAmaha
Anime Junky

Postby SethAmaha » Sun Aug 12, 2018 4:43 am

Episode 5
Spoiler:
Mahiru-chan went full Yandere. What in the world is with the structure of this underground facility? I guess gravity and the laws of physics don't count in this show. How in the world does going down a hole lead to coming up another hole in a separate level?

Kocurek1944
Super Otaku II

Postby Kocurek1944 » Sat Aug 25, 2018 5:08 am

Episode 7
After I started thinking that this show is losing momentum this episode proved me wrong. It was exactly what I wanted, a great episode.

SethAmaha
Anime Junky

Postby SethAmaha » Sun Sep 30, 2018 11:16 pm

Final Thoughts

This show is a doozy. It starts out looking so amazing, but turns out into a huge disappointment.

Right off the bat, this show is BEAUTIFULLY DRAWN AND ANIMATED. The amount of effort they put into the art and and animation probably killed a couple of artists and animators, (may they rest in peace). Unfortunately (this is a word I will be using a lot in this review so please bear with me, there's a very good reason for it. it) , this show has a BIG problem with story telling. What this show basically is, is a play about girls who are in a talent school, trying to compete to be in a play. That in itself is a very unique concept. Its like a Russian doll with many layers put on top of what we are actually seeing. What is unfortunate about that is that the concept does not translate well in anime form. People are used to seeing an actual story being played out in a show, but to see what is essential a play within a play, the show comes out as a jumbled mess. The characters are all pretty much one note, and the whole point of the battle scenes don't make too much sense.

The first episode opens,, and everyone pretty much believes that this show is going to be big. Unfortunately, the battles in the stage, the very thing that wowed people, makes no damm sense whatsoever. Only when you realize that the show itself is just a play, does the whole concept make any sense. These girls are separated in life between the outside world and the arena stage world and their actions only make sense when you realize that this whole thing is just an act within an act. This show is too meta for its own good and not only does it eliminate most people who may not get what the concept it is going for is, but because the storytelling is so bad, even those who do get it are bored to even care.

This show was a real disappointment to both the viewers and the creatore. They put so much effort into making this show look beautiful and moving, but the story was a complete trainwreck. Even taking out the "transformation" scenes, you would think this show is top tier but the way it plays out is so stupid, that all that effort gores down the drain. As much as I hate to say for the sake of the hard working artists and animators, I cannot recommend this show in the slightest.