Calamity of a Zombie Girl

Talk About Shows Airing Now!
SethAmaha
Anime Junky

Postby SethAmaha » Wed Jul 04, 2018 11:40 pm

Plot:

On a university campus where most students are out for summer vacation, five students sneak into the library storage to look for treasure. What they find are two sets of female antique mummies from Italy. One of the members, Sayaka rips open one of the mummies and takes out a stone, empowering the mummies to have super strength and eternal life. Having stolen their “stone of life”, the two mummies awaken and ferociously attempt to retrieve what was once theirs. The only way for the students to escape this situation is to find a way to kill the zombie girls… but will they be able to survive?

Legal Streaming: http://www.crunchyroll.com/calamity-of-a-zombie-girl

Creator: Ikehata, Ryou & Tsurugi, Hagane
Director: Hideaki Iwami
Writer: Katsuya Iwamoto & Kenichi Kanemaki
Music: Kow Otani
Studio: Gonzo
Genre: Action, Horror, Supernatural
Episodes: 1 ONA

SethAmaha
Anime Junky

Re: Calamity of a Zombie Girl

Postby SethAmaha » Wed Jul 04, 2018 11:49 pm

ONA Review

Spoiler:
The story of this show is very interesting but extremely gory so its not recommended for children nor anyone with a weak stomach. The art style is very decent and the use of CG is not too noticeable and very few stills.

Now for the negatives. The sound work for this show is just horrid. The voices are too low to hear and the sound effects are far too loud. You can barely hear what is is the characters are saying and the unnesecery jump scares are too loud to enjoy. The first half of the show has a problem with continuity of its power creep. The main character is extremely powerful but is without explanation held back and even pushed back by a regular human. Finally, the show doesn't make it's mind whether it want to take a serious tone or a comedic tone and in an ONA so short, the comedic skits in the middle of a very tense situation does not mesh well and takes the viewer out of the experience.

The story itself is not bad, but it definitely needs a full length anime adaption, a single ONA is not enough to properly tell the story. It also needs to work much more on it's sound work so that the voices are actually audible.

Kocurek1944
Super Otaku II

Postby Kocurek1944 » Mon Jul 09, 2018 2:51 am

I am a little bit puzzled by this show. I just can't quite decide if this show is just horridly written mess or maybe we are dealing with brilliant mockery of slasher genre that purposefully cranks up ridicule gauge to the eleven.
Proud citizen of Principality of Mecha
"Where robots are big
And teenagers angsty"

SethAmaha
Anime Junky

Postby SethAmaha » Mon Jul 09, 2018 4:09 am

Kocurek1944 wrote:I am a little bit puzzled by this show. I just can't quite decide if this show is just horridly written mess or maybe we are dealing with brilliant mockery of slasher genre that purposefully cranks up ridicule gauge to the eleven.

I'm glad I'm not the only one. I'm guessing it just feels so off due to the fact that its using about half as much time as a proper anime would use to tell this story and so the seriousness and the comedy shifts are too quick but either way the way it is now it just doesn't work well