393) Spring 2018 Anime Season Review Part 2

Talk about the Podcast!
User avatar
Andrew
Site Admin
Posts: 4997
Joined: Tue Jan 14, 2014 2:41 pm

393) Spring 2018 Anime Season Review Part 2

Postby Andrew » Sun Jul 08, 2018 9:37 am

Image
Returning for the second part of their Spring 2018 Anime Season Reviews, the hosts of the Otaku Spirit Animecast give their take on 10 more titles ranging from horror, sports, action, romance, to moe!

Anime Reviewed in this Episode: Tada Never Falls In Love, Devils’ Line, Megalo Box, Golden Kamuy, Last Period, Yotsuiro Biyori, Wotakoi Love Is Hard For An Otaku, Crossing Time, You Don’t Know Gunma, and Love To Lie Angle.

The opening song for this episode is the OP for Golden Kamuy called “Winding Road” by MAN WITH A MISSION. The closing song for this episode is the ED for MegaloBox called “Kakatte Koi yo” by NakamuraEmi.

We hope you all enjoy!
http://otakuspirit.com/2018/07/animecas ... ew-part-2/
Image
Keep Connected to OtakuSpirit: YouTube, Facebook, iTunes, Twitter, MyAnimeList
Fate Grand Order: Tsubaki 554,837,694

User avatar
HeyItsHales
I Like Anime
Posts: 9
Joined: Fri May 25, 2018 7:19 am
Contact:

Re: 393) Spring 2018 Anime Season Review Part 2

Postby HeyItsHales » Mon Jul 09, 2018 9:54 am

It always hurts me a little when people call Yotsuiro Biyori a "pretty boy show". It's unfortunate that the cast being four men kinda gave it a stigma right from the beginning. The show had so many great messages about all sorts of things like developing your self-confidence as an adult and learning to deal with that teenage uncertainty and angst that we all get. In my eyes, it was first and foremost a healing show that just so happened to have four guys as the main cast.

It makes me wonder what shows with all-male main casts have to do to get past the "pretty boy show" stigma.

Andrew, I know that both you and Chris don't usually give said "pretty boy shows" much thought or watch them all the way through, so do you think that classifying Yotsuiro Biyori as a "pretty boy show" from the beginning potentially affected your overall enjoyment of it? It seemed like you actually really enjoyed it, but also felt the need to justify why you watched the whole season. If it was a similar healing show that had a female in the main cast, I don't think you would've been so focused on justifying why you watched the whole season.

Also, just out of curiosity, why is it that most people don't give these kinds of shows a chance? I know a majority of the Western anime-watching community is male, so is it just the fact that these shows don't usually have a cute female character as part of the main cast that they aren't really given a chance? Just off the top of my head, I can remember you guys also lumping Katsugeki/Touken Ranbu into the "pretty boy show" category as well, and that's a completely different vibe. Is a show doomed to be ignored and potentially underappreciated if it has an all-male main cast?

User avatar
Chris
Site Co-Founder
Posts: 2393
Joined: Fri Jan 17, 2014 7:37 pm

Re: 393) Spring 2018 Anime Season Review Part 2

Postby Chris » Mon Jul 09, 2018 11:57 am

HeyItsHales wrote:It always hurts me a little when people call Yotsuiro Biyori a "pretty boy show". It's unfortunate that the cast being four men kinda gave it a stigma right from the beginning. The show had so many great messages about all sorts of things like developing your self-confidence as an adult and learning to deal with that teenage uncertainty and angst that we all get. In my eyes, it was first and foremost a healing show that just so happened to have four guys as the main cast.

It makes me wonder what shows with all-male main casts have to do to get past the "pretty boy show" stigma.

Andrew, I know that both you and Chris don't usually give said "pretty boy shows" much thought or watch them all the way through, so do you think that classifying Yotsuiro Biyori as a "pretty boy show" from the beginning potentially affected your overall enjoyment of it? It seemed like you actually really enjoyed it, but also felt the need to justify why you watched the whole season. If it was a similar healing show that had a female in the main cast, I don't think you would've been so focused on justifying why you watched the whole season.

Also, just out of curiosity, why is it that most people don't give these kinds of shows a chance? I know a majority of the Western anime-watching community is male, so is it just the fact that these shows don't usually have a cute female character as part of the main cast that they aren't really given a chance? Just off the top of my head, I can remember you guys also lumping Katsugeki/Touken Ranbu into the "pretty boy show" category as well, and that's a completely different vibe. Is a show doomed to be ignored and potentially underappreciated if it has an all-male main cast?


bishonen is an art style perse. its not really a bad thing. it tends to fall in the shojo/josei area. in all honesty i really wanted to watch that show. bishonen doesnt turn us off its the tropes that tend to be included in those shows. even then it more a tolerance thing.

devils line is a bishonen / shojo show the pretty boys didn't bother me it was the female protagonist. she was unrealistically clueless. top / bottom stuff bothers me if its to heavily relied upon to justify character traits. be aware i don't mind top / bottom i hate when it doesn't go any farther then that. i personally love considering and picking who is top and who is bottom. but i want a nuanced character.

again this is not in any way implying that Yotsuiro Biyori was not that. Andrew seemed to enjoy it. so im not sure what he said wrong he effectively did what you are pointing out he watched it through just like i said i wanted to do.

bishonen is not an automatic disqualifier. there was two token ranbo shows one by ufotable and another the other one was more full of the tropes that tend to not work for us the ufotable was more an action show and Andrew enjoyed that if i remember right. i didn't care for it because it was boring to me with lack of characters relying heavily on the action.

i can list lots of bishonen shows i have enjoyed. so i hope this clarifies things. unfortunaltly we are not going to be come avid fujoshi but we will enjoy them when they work. what i hope people get out of what Andrew said was "don't judge this show by the bishonen cover. its more then that." which is what your saying but somewhere the conversation got stuck on pretty boys don't usually work for him.

thank you for the comment
Image

User avatar
Yui
I Like Anime
Posts: 2
Joined: Fri Jul 27, 2018 8:20 pm

Re: 393) Spring 2018 Anime Season Review Part 2

Postby Yui » Fri Jul 27, 2018 8:25 pm

Hi, I'm guessing this is explained in an earlier episode but I'm a new listener and haven't had time to go through the entire catalogue yet; at just after 18 minutes and several more times you use the term "brix" (not sure on the spelling) to describe a character and I'm curious as to what that means. I've had very little luck looking it up.

User avatar
Chris
Site Co-Founder
Posts: 2393
Joined: Fri Jan 17, 2014 7:37 pm

Re: 393) Spring 2018 Anime Season Review Part 2

Postby Chris » Fri Jul 27, 2018 9:19 pm

Yui wrote:Hi, I'm guessing this is explained in an earlier episode but I'm a new listener and haven't had time to go through the entire catalogue yet; at just after 18 minutes and several more times you use the term "brix" (not sure on the spelling) to describe a character and I'm curious as to what that means. I've had very little luck looking it up.



It’s bricks. And it’s kinda hard to explain. But it’s in reference to the female protagonist just going whereever she is told or doing what she is spacificly told not to do becaus she is dumber then a “sack of bricks”. It’s a writer problem. It’s easier to write a bottom characters like that and they show up a lot in shojo romances so they tend to get picked on a bit.

I would say first time we mentioned a bricks character was likely norn 9 but even then I mentioned that diabolical lovers had one.
Image

User avatar
Yui
I Like Anime
Posts: 2
Joined: Fri Jul 27, 2018 8:20 pm

Re: 393) Spring 2018 Anime Season Review Part 2

Postby Yui » Fri Jul 27, 2018 10:05 pm

Chris wrote:It’s bricks. And it’s kinda hard to explain. But it’s in reference to the female protagonist just going whereever she is told or doing what she is spacificly told not to do becaus she is dumber then a “sack of bricks”. It’s a writer problem. It’s easier to write a bottom characters like that and they show up a lot in shojo romances so they tend to get picked on a bit.

I would say first time we mentioned a bricks character was likely norn 9 but even then I mentioned that diabolical lovers had one.


Thank you so much for the swift response!

User avatar
Chris
Site Co-Founder
Posts: 2393
Joined: Fri Jan 17, 2014 7:37 pm

Re: 393) Spring 2018 Anime Season Review Part 2

Postby Chris » Fri Jul 27, 2018 10:08 pm

Yui wrote:
Chris wrote:It’s bricks. And it’s kinda hard to explain. But it’s in reference to the female protagonist just going whereever she is told or doing what she is spacificly told not to do becaus she is dumber then a “sack of bricks”. It’s a writer problem. It’s easier to write a bottom characters like that and they show up a lot in shojo romances so they tend to get picked on a bit.

I would say first time we mentioned a bricks character was likely norn 9 but even then I mentioned that diabolical lovers had one.


Thank you so much for the swift response!


No problem.

I hope you Enjoy yourself make lots of friends.

;-)
Image