396) Witch Hunter Robbing

Talk about the Podcast!
Andrew
Site Admin

396) Witch Hunter Robbing

Postby Andrew » Sun Jul 22, 2018 8:29 am

After a month and a half, the hosts of the Animecast have quite some catching up to do in the news. Get your coffee ready and prepare yourself for the rundown!

Topics this episode: B the Beginning, Angels of Death Switch, Opantsu, Studio Trigger Patreon, Uma Musume, Real Girl, Beatless, Re:Zero OVA, AT&T and Otter Media, Tsuredure Children, Shikioriori, Morose Mononokean, Gundam Live Action, Netflix announcements, Liz and the Blue Bird, Violet Evergarden, Zoku Owarimonogatari, Right Stuf announcements, Strike Witches, Sweetness and Lightning, huke and Black Rock Shooter, Ponycanyon USA, Spice and Wolf, Granblue Fantasy, Citrus Manga, Evangelion 3.0+1.0, Kaiju Girls, Bungou Stray Dogs, Anima Yell, and much more!

Thanks to fragoff, Plyr1471, SethAmaha, and QuestRam for the great questions featured on this episode.

The intro for this episode is the OP for Bungou Stray Dogs 2 called “Reason Living” by SCREEN mode. The outro for this episode is the OP for Sound Euphonium 2 called “Soundscape” by TRUE.

We hope you all enjoy!
http://otakuspirit.com/2018/07/animecas ... r-robbing/
Keep Connected to OtakuSpirit: YouTube, Facebook, iTunes, Twitter, MyAnimeList
Fate Grand Order: Tsubaki 554,837,694

Mys145
I Bleed Anime

Re: 396) Witch Hunter Robbing

Postby Mys145 » Mon Jul 23, 2018 7:49 am

First things first, the "S" is silent in Illinois, Andrew.

I'm surprised that you guys didn't harshly criticized Studio Trigger for creating a Patreon but when Funimation use Kickstarter for Escaflowne, you guys hated that idea. I'm curious on what the difference is here because it's about the same and no major company should be using Patreon to help fund itself.

Backstreet Girls is Netflix while Hi Score Girl is Viz which will have its English sub debut at Otakon. Beyond that who knows when Hi Score Girl will be available since Viz also has the new Captain Tsubasa and currently it's just airing on some Spanish TV channel.

Chris
Site Co-Founder

Postby Chris » Mon Jul 23, 2018 10:17 pm

Just throwing it out there because it’s repeating it over and over. The kickstarters were about the risk. They got the license invested no risk and reaped all the reward. The people investing in the project are not getting the profit. In business if you invest you get a cut of the profit. It was just dirty. We never said they couldn’t do it. Just that they shouldn’t do it.

Patreon is about supporting artists and they are artist. It’s a supplement as far as I see it. I don’t really see a trap where the end user feels like they are getting ripped off. The tiers are not obnoxious. Patreon is a simple cancel. So not really seeing the similarities out side of crowd funding platform and business.

Probably would be better to have a subscription system on they’re site but meh.

Fullmetal-Senpai
I Bleed Anime

Postby Fullmetal-Senpai » Tue Jul 24, 2018 11:41 am

Chris wrote:Just throwing it out there because it’s repeating it over and over. The kickstarters were about the risk. They got the license invested no risk and reaped all the reward. The people investing in the project are not getting the profit. In business if you invest you get a cut of the profit. It was just dirty. We never said they couldn’t do it. Just that they shouldn’t do it.

Patreon is about supporting artists and they are artist. It’s a supplement as far as I see it. I don’t really see a trap where the end user feels like they are getting ripped off. The tiers are not obnoxious. Patreon is a simple cancel. So not really seeing the similarities out side of crowd funding platform and business.

I basically agree with this, but I also agree with mys. I don't think patreon should be used as a presale strategy i.e like funni did but I also don't think a company who's part of ultra super pictures should be using it as free income. Chris if you want to talk more drop me a PM on Twitter or discord. The way I check forums isn't very condusive to a good conversation.

Chris
Site Co-Founder

Postby Chris » Tue Jul 24, 2018 8:55 pm

Fullmetal-Senpai wrote:
Chris wrote:Just throwing it out there because it’s repeating it over and over. The kickstarters were about the risk. They got the license invested no risk and reaped all the reward. The people investing in the project are not getting the profit. In business if you invest you get a cut of the profit. It was just dirty. We never said they couldn’t do it. Just that they shouldn’t do it.

I basically agree with this, but I also agree with mys. I don't think patreon should be used as a presale strategy i.e like funni did but I also don't think a company who's part of ultra super pictures should be using it as free income. Chris if you want to talk more drop me a PM on Twitter or discord. The way I check forums isn't very condusive to a good conversation.

I’m not really arguing that it was ok I just explained why we blasted funi. And pointed out why i didn’t see a similarity.

They didn’t claim a presage so far as I know. Now I do agree with you on a grey area of the free income. But as I said the tiers are 1$ & 5$ and it’s easy to cancel. At worst if they go silent for 6 months they will make a lot of they’re most avid fans turn on them. At best this becomes a really easy way for us to get ridiculously high quality art from the artists themselves.

Like I said I personally prefer they did it on they’re business website because it undermines the idea of patron of an artist.

I don’t mind chatting it up if you think there is more to chat about here. Like I said I’m not arguing for or against it I was clarifying mys’ Missunderstanding

Fullmetal-Senpai
I Bleed Anime

Postby Fullmetal-Senpai » Tue Jul 24, 2018 9:24 pm

Chris wrote:
Fullmetal-Senpai wrote:

I’m not really arguing that it was ok I just explained why we blasted funi. And pointed out why i didn’t see a similarity.

They didn’t claim a presage so far as I know. Now I do agree with you on a grey area of the free income. But as I said the tiers are 1$ & 5$ and it’s easy to cancel. At worst if they go silent for 6 months they will make a lot of they’re most avid fans turn on them. At best this becomes a really easy way for us to get ridiculously high quality art from the artists themselves.

Like I said I personally prefer they did it on they’re business website because it undermines the idea of patron of an artist.

I don’t mind chatting it up if you think there is more to chat about here. Like I said I’m not arguing for or against it I was clarifying mys’ Missunderstanding

Nah, no worries, just throwing my hat in the ring. I'm always open to talk if you're free.

BlueSpark
Anime Junky

Postby BlueSpark » Thu Jul 26, 2018 8:08 am

To start off this post in a very different manner, I'll add some news I've found which I don't believe you've covered yet. For anyone who's as hyped as I am for the new Chunibyo movie Take On Me, the film was released on Blu-ray in Japan just about a week ago. Also, the Blu-ray release date for the US by Sentai Filmworks has been confirmed as November 20 (of this year, thank god). I'm seriously distraught having to decide whether to look for a subbed version right now or be patient until the end of November to watch the English localization. Or I might watch the German version in the cinema, although there's still no date announced for any screenings (All we know is that it's supposed to come out this year).

With that out of the way, I'll quickly weigh in on the Patreon controversy. I was honestly as surprised as Mys that you didn't have anything negative to say about it. I think that at the core, the idea is similar to that of Funimation's kickstarter: They're asking people for money without any guaranteed return.
However, as Chris rightfully pointed out, the concept of Patreon is not focused on a specific product (which might never come to be), and we're talking about much smaller sums of money here.
I still don't agree with how much you guys bashed the kickstarter idea back then. Personally, if the company deems the financial risk too great for a 'normal' production cycle, I'd kickstart the hell out of, say, a dub release of Golden Time. Of course that means I'd be taking a chance, but given the potential payoff, that'd be worth it to me.

On to linguistic hair-splitting: I'm pretty sure that a couple (of) can refer to a definite as well as an indefinite number. In its indefinite meaning, it's basically the same as "a small number," whereas it can also be used as a quasi-synonym of "a pair," referring to 2 entities belonging or appearing together. In German, there's an analogous conundrum with "ein Paar" and "ein paar" (which fortunately only poses a problem in speech because we capitalize nouns in writing).

Regarding adult romances, I don't think a series taking one of these as its thematic focus would necessarily be less passionate than a young/adolescent romance (I believe that's what Chris said; if it's not, please disregard the rest of this paragraph). What would most likely be less passionate is a long-established relationship - say, a couple that's been married for several years. Those people would realistically be long over the exciting phase of "being in love."
On the flipside, I don't see a reason why it wouldn't work in a scenario like this: A pair of adults, both of whom have a difficult past. Both have been betrayed by and broken up with one or even several partners, or perhaps one of them has never even been able to establish a relationship or even refused to get involved in one for whatever reason. They meet each other, but jaded as they are by their experiences so far, they're extremely guarded and make it a point to keep their personal space. Maybe work life interferes, too. But over time, they learn to open up (again) and (re-)learn what it means to trust and how much of a blessing it can be to have someone at your side who will support you. I reckon that rough draft of a scenario could make for a heartfelt and passionate romance, just as much as any high school love story out there.
Of course, I still have a special place in my heart for young love animes. I'm just playing devil's advocate here.

Lastly, when fragoff talked about "cross-platform gaming," it appears I had a very different interpretation of his question than Andrew did. When I think of the term, what comes to mind is the prospect of PC and different console players engaging in a multiplayer online game together - and not the idea of most/all video games being released on all major platforms.
As for my answer to fragoff's question (the way I understood it), I don't really think it's something that's desirable for every kind of game - it'd absolutely wreck the balance of any fast-paced first-person shooter (Depending on the mechanics, either PC players would rule supreme with accurate mouse control or the console aim assist would tip the balance too much in the console gamers' favor). However, I absolutely would love for cooperative games like Borderlands to be cross-platform-compatible. I'm a (almost) pure PC gamer, but I have a couple of friends who buy most/all of their games for consoles. Being able to blast through a co-op campaign together despite using different gaming systems would be an amazing possibility.
Know a decent number of anime characters? Check out my forum game!

michelous
Anime Junky

Postby michelous » Tue Aug 07, 2018 9:27 am

For fate extra you also need to see last 3 ova