Cry like a baby

Current and Classic Animation!
fragoff
Anime Junky

Cry like a baby

Postby fragoff » Sun Sep 16, 2018 10:56 am

I'll try to start a topic here. Let's ask you guys what is the anime, animated movie or scene in an anime that made you cry the most? Try giving us the one biggest tear jerker you felt into and maybe give us some runners up afterward.

Scenewise, the most resent one that got me was episode 13 of made in abyss. Nanachi and mitty's story was already as sad and dreadfull as it can get, but the closer was very very sad! I can't talk too much about it, but those who saw it know what it is all about. The feelz were real and painfull.

As runners up:
- i cried at the end of golden time when koko and banri are on the bridge. Joyfull tears.
-A silent voice: cried near the end. This movie was great.

Overall, i grow more sentimental the older i get. But those 3 are the ones i remember the most.
"Tolerance is the lube that helps slip the didlo of dysfunction into the neko of a civilized society" -Plato

Eira
Crazy About Anime

Re: Cry like a baby

Postby Eira » Sun Sep 16, 2018 3:56 pm

Okay, this is always fun to talk about. I don’t know why but I tend to cry a lot easier to media then other people tend to, even shows like the second season of New Game!! Has made me cry, but nothing obscure like that is gonna be showing up here, for the biggest tears I’ve wept we have to look at things I’m sure most people who see them cry at.

Biggest one is easily Episode 12 of A Place Further Than The Universe. Pretty much everything leading towards the scene and the final scene is built to make me cry. Even before the really sad part begins I could feel myself starting to tear up, just the situation with the music and how each character was acting in that moment really gave me the strong feels. But I was not ready for the real killer, the final moments of this episode destroyed me emotionally, I had been binging the series that night from episode 2 - 12. However once I finished this I couldn’t bring myself to watch episode 13 and had to wait a few days to calm down. In fact I didn’t watch any anime for a few days. I was wrecked, the way this episode ends is so emotionally strong and shows a character is such a strong sage of dispair and sadness, it had been built up to by the whole series very well, it was directectly beautifully and the voice acting, my god the voice acting in this moment really is the slow twist of the knife already lodging in my chest. I was sobbing, this is the only time media in any way has made me audibly sob, I started to shake uncontrollably and had to keep closing my eyes as they filled with tears, I rested my head on my hand and that’s when I noticed all the shaking and then I had to try and quite down since it was late at night. The episode ended and I went to bed, It’s going to be hard for an anime to make me cry worst then this show did.

Runners-up:
Well how do you follow that up, with Koe no Katachi of course. The topic is anime but hey, the manga made me cry too. Both the manga and anime made me cry at different points throughout, my past with suacide and my past of almost always losing any friends and relationships I make made the whole story really resonate with me but also bring up sad memories, I’ve watched the movie 4 times now and have it on both DVD and Blu-Ray as a joint collectors edition and the box set of the manga because I love this series and it’s always gives me the feels, despite all the times I’ve consumed it there’s never been a time where I didn’t cry multiple times throughout. I feel like the anime has made me cry more but since I usually read manga on trains and in public areas I’m less likely to cry then in the safety of my bedroom. The ending isn’t even the biggest killed,
Spoiler:
the suacide scene is what really gets me, again music and direction go a long way to giving me the feels. I get goosebumps every time.

I also wanna bring up something that might be a little weird and might not be one of the worst times I’ve cried but it’s the first time media made me cry that I can remember and it was anime so I’m gonna mention it. Pokémon, this show actually has a lot of moments that can make you cry, almost any time someone has to say good bye to one of thier Pokémon is a pretty rough moment espically since they usually go into a denial like phase and yell abuse at the Pokémon or act like they don’t care that they’re going. A lot of people point to ‘bye bye butterfree’ but that didn’t hit me like a different one did, I don’t remember the name of the episode but it was during a johto season when
Spoiler:
team rocket had to say good bye to Weezing and arbok. The set up is bascially that team rocket find a poacher who has a bunch of koffing and Ekans captured to try and sell, having weezing and arbok, team rocket decid to help the Pokémon out and break them free, but then the poacher returns and he has a tyranitar. So team rocket have arbok and weezing lead the other Pokémon away and continue to shout at them to not look back, how these smaller Pokémon need them and they need to just keep going. The whole time James, Jessie and meowth get hit over and over again by the tyranitar, they keep getting abused but keep telling the others to not look back and then never do look back, we see them continue on forward for the better of the other Pokémon, crying the whole way.

And lastly, I know this wasn’t asked but it’s related and interesting all the same, an anime that a lot of people cry over and that I’ve seen but didn’t cry over and thus many people have called me heartless becuase of it. Like I said, even New Game!! Made me cry, like it doesn’t take a lot, you just have to do good directing and make me care about the characeters and I should cry when something sad happens. Grave of The Fireflies
Spoiler:
is not done well in my opnion and I despise it’s characters. I didn’t cry at all, I didn’t feel sad and the whole time, I was just board and waiting for it to be over, I watched it with a friend and he felt the same way. I’m not jsut gonna cry becuase a little girl dies, it’s not done well and it’s not earned, I’m not going to cry becuase some dumb child made really poor decisions and then his sister died and we got a bland scene where he just tells us that she died and that’s it. Sorry but I don’t find that sad, in fact I would of actually been happy if the guy had died, he’s the worst.
Last edited by Eira on Tue Sep 18, 2018 12:27 am, edited 2 times in total.

Fullmetal-Senpai
Otaku

Postby Fullmetal-Senpai » Sun Sep 16, 2018 4:28 pm

As I say in the "anime that broke you" thread, I've never cried due to an anime, and as it sits the only media that has is the novel of welcome to the nhk. It's part and parcel why I'm here to talk to all of you. Nhk treats the reader as intelligent and understanding not ignorant. Because of this it can deal with very heavy themes such as multiple suicide attempts, mental trauma, socially destructive behaviors and somehow how no one can save you besides you. All while maintaining a somber tone. It isn't for everyone but it's a masterpiece.

DestroyerGX
I Bleed Anime

Postby DestroyerGX » Sun Sep 16, 2018 4:56 pm

Eira wrote:Grave of The Fireflies is not done well and I despise it’s characters. I didn’t cry at all, I didn’t feel sad and the whole time I was just board and waiting for it to be over, I watched it with a friend and he felt the same way.
Spoiler:
I’m not jsut gonna cry becuase a little girl dies, it’s not done well and it’s not earned, I’m not going to cry becuase some dumb idiot child made really poor decisions and then his sister died and we got a bland scene where he jsut tells us that she died and that’s it. Sorry but I don’t find that sad, in fact I would of actually been happy if the guy had died, he’s the worst.

Spoiler:
He did die: it's shown in the beginning of the movie. All the rest of the movie is a flashback of the final days of him and his sister.
Last edited by DestroyerGX on Tue Sep 18, 2018 8:14 am, edited 1 time in total.

Eira
Crazy About Anime

Postby Eira » Sun Sep 16, 2018 4:57 pm

Fullmetal-Senpai wrote:As I say in the "anime that broke you" thread, I've never cried due to an anime, and as it sits the only media that has is the novel of welcome to the nhk. It's part and parcel why I'm here to talk to all of you. Nhk treats the reader as intelligent and understanding not ignorant. Because of this it can deal with very heavy themes such as multiple suicide attempts, mental trauma, socially destructive behaviors and somehow how no one can save you besides you. All while maintaining a somber tone. It isn't for everyone but it's a masterpiece.

I’ve seen and the anime and heard good things about the novel. Been meaning to read it at some point, this only strengthens my resolve to do so eventually.

Crash Kamio
Anime Junky

Postby Crash Kamio » Sun Sep 16, 2018 7:37 pm

Im a total baby honestly, I've cried at my fair share of shows, Planetarian, Clannad, Amanchu, Aria, K-On, I think Madoka a few times. But really the only anime that's made me cry like a baby is Anohana. That show as I said in the anime that broke you thread, rubs salt in a very sensitive wound for me. To keep it vauge i went through a very similar situation (minus the supernatural aspect obviously) and what Jinta went through emotionally, saw how that situation effected certain families and people I saw, lived through, and how it impacted him in day to day life I related to so viscerally. By the time i saw the last episode I was just full blown ugly crying. Everytime without fail it gets me. Even the movie got me and it was a recap with some after story. Even the new scenes I related to. It was very uncanny how much the show lines up with me.

BlueSpark
I Bleed Anime

Postby BlueSpark » Mon Sep 17, 2018 4:02 am

Oh boy... a lovely topic. My list of runner-ups is probably going to be lengthy and nowhere near comprehensive. I'm known to get teary-eyed at the drop of a hat at sad (and sometimes even happy) anime scenes. You remember the scene in Elfen Lied where Nyu disguises herself as Kota's sister and tells him she forgives him? Yeah, that made me cry. Like with fragoff, maybe it's age making me more sentimental... Although I'm only 31, so at the rate this is going, I might dry up from loss of fluids in a couple of years if I keep watching anime :P.

So, as I said, by now there are way too many moments in anime that broke my floodgates. But there is a clear number 1 in terms of how long and intense of a cry it's given me, and that's the ending of Wolf Children. Basically, the "make BlueSpark an emotional mess" part starts from the final scene between Hana and Ame, then there's a brief 'pause' with Yuki narrating, and then it starts back up when Hana sits alone in her house - and runs all the way through the credits. The ending theme, with its combination of beautiful (initially acapella) singing, the images showing snapshots of the movie's events, and the lyrics tailored to the story, make for a bittersweet culmination of everything that happened. Like Eira described in his #1, I had trouble seeing through my tears, and a couple of quiet sobs did escape me. Oh yeah, I should probably mention that I've seen the film 4 or 5 times by now. And it hits me all the same, every time.

To avoid writing up half a novel, I'll try to keep my list of runner-ups brief. I'll mostly stick to my favorite shows since those are the one's I'm likely to remember off the top of my head.

Kanon - the scene on the hill with Makoto
ef - A Tale of Memories - Miyako's final phone call, Kei's confession through the closed door, Renji finally breaking Chihiro's chains
Clannad - Tomoya's proposal, the end of After Story's episode 16, Tomoya meeting his grandma, the flower field scene with Ushio, the train scene with Ushio, Tomoya's reconciliation with his father... need I go on?
anohana - the end of episode 8 (the diary scene), and the series finale, of course (not as bad for me as for Crash Kamio, but still lots of tears)
Love, Chunibyo & Other Delusions! - Rikka and Yuta's embrace at the end of episode 9 (my #1 instance of happy cry in anime)
Air - yup, that ending scene was pretty bad (for my emotions, not quality-wise)
Toradora! - the pool scene at the end of episode 8 (shoutout to Cassandra Lee Morris as Taiga's VA)
Yuki Yuna Is a Hero - the resolution to Fu's mental breakdown scene
When Marnie Was There - the resolution of who Marnie was (obviously)
Wolf Girl & Black Prince - that restaurant scene where Kyouya took things too far

Basically, add all the studio Key adaptations I didn't mention because they all made me cry at one point or another. Also, what A Silent Voice is for Eira is Your Name for me. The meeting on the mountain, Mitsuha looking at her hand after stumbling and falling, the ending scene... And, upon rewatching the movie, many more small tear-up moments - like when the two of them look into the mirror and find themselves crying.

Eira wrote:Grave of The Fireflies is not done well and I despise it’s characters. I didn’t cry at all, I didn’t feel sad and the whole time I was just board and waiting for it to be over
I don't remember actively disliking the characters, but I do think that the movie more depressing than tearjerking. No tears for me here.

Eira wrote:Biggest one is easily Episode 12 of A Place Further Than The Universe. [...] I was wrecked, the way this episode ends is so emotionally strong and shows a character is such a strong sage of dispair and sadness, it had been built up to by the whole series very well, it was directectly beautifully and the voice acting, my god the voice acting in this moment really is the slow twist of the knife already lodging in my chest.
Gosh dang it... Now I have to pray to the dub gods even more so I can eventually watch this one.
Know a decent number of anime characters? Check out my forum game!

Eira
Crazy About Anime

Postby Eira » Mon Sep 17, 2018 7:28 pm

BlueSpark wrote:
Eira wrote:Biggest one is easily Episode 12 of A Place Further Than The Universe.
Gosh dang it... Now I have to pray to the dub gods even more so I can eventually watch this one.

I hope it does get a dub just so that you’ll go and watch it, I also hope it’s good so that they can nail a lot of the emotional scenes in this show, it made me cry multiple times throughout. Episode 12 was just the biggest one, so I really hope they can do it right.
DestroyerGX wrote:Grave of The Fireflies
Spoiler:
He did die: it's shown in the beginning of the movie. All the rest of the movie is a flashback of the final days of him and his sister.

Spoiler:
Really, okay. I don’t remember that at all. Well either way not exactly what I meant, heck I would of even preferred that the director really make it about his childhood. For those who don’t know he somewhat based grave of the fireflies off of his childhood since he grew up in japan during world war 2 and had a little sister, but she died because he kept taking her food in order to keep himself alive. Now that would of been a more interesting movie.
Last edited by Eira on Tue Sep 18, 2018 12:21 am, edited 1 time in total.

Chris
Site Co-Founder

Postby Chris » Mon Sep 17, 2018 10:36 pm

Not sure if your intending it but your sounding a little defensive. It’s ok not everyone will be affected the same way. You don’t have to justify yourself. Some of us disagree with you.

About the only thing that is irking me about your posts is your blatant disregard for spoilers. Honestly I get that you think the movie is utter garbage but please not everyone feels the same way please have a little respect for difference of opinion. Keep your arguments in spoiler tags so if someone for whatever reason has not watched the movie can at least experience the shock or non shock that same as you and I have.

Thank you. Please have fun with your discussion.

;-)

Eira
Crazy About Anime

Postby Eira » Tue Sep 18, 2018 12:25 am

Chris wrote:Not sure if your intending it but your sounding a little defensive. It’s ok not everyone will be affected the same way. You don’t have to justify yourself. Some of us disagree with you.

I kinda jump to being defensive about this because almost everyone I’ve talked to about it in real life has instantly started labeling me as cold-hearted for not crying during it and that really bothers me since as I said, I’ve cried to some really basic stuff before.

About the only thing that is irking me about your posts is your blatant disregard for spoilers. Honestly I get that you think the movie is utter garbage but please not everyone feels the same way please have a little respect for difference of opinion. Keep your arguments in spoiler tags so if someone for whatever reason has not watched the movie can at least experience the shock or non shock that same as you and I have.

You’re totally right and I can’t believe I didn’t even think of that, for some reason I didn’t even think about how not everyone has seen the movie. Since it’s so popular and everything. Everyone I’ve talked to has always known what I’m talking about, so it jsut didn’t cross my mind. I’ve gone back and edited my posts to have spoiler tags on them.

DestroyerGX wrote:

Made it a quote so you’d be notified, if you could go back and edit your post so that your quote of me is in a spoiler tag I’d really appreciate it.

I know not everyone feels the same way and I didn’t mean to disrespect anyone opnion or anything. I’m so sorry if I came across that way. I hope this can be forgiven and doesn’t reflect poorly on me in the future.