Rascal Does Not Dream of Bunny Girl Senpai

Talk About Shows Airing Now!
fragoff
Anime Junky

Re: Rascal Does Not Dream of Bunny Girl Senpai

Postby fragoff » Sat Nov 10, 2018 2:41 pm

I am split on this show now. I really enjoy it and believe it is very well executed.
But i am very disapointed that the show went on relationships with other girls rater than keep exploring the excelent relationship betwen the protagonist and Mai.
I realize this show is not heading toward what seemed like an excelent romance show.
Also, is it just me or the ressemblence with the monogatari serie is more than obvious??!!! To the point where you could see some indentical scenes or interaction but with different carracters.
"Tolerance is the lube that helps slip the didlo of dysfunction into the neko of a civilized society" -Plato

SethAmaha
Anime Junky

Postby SethAmaha » Wed Nov 14, 2018 6:51 pm

Episode 7
Another great episode. The reason why I love this show isn't simply because it has a bunch of cute girls, it is because it does great character building. Each issue the characters had to deal with build them in a way that I've only seen in the Bakemonogatari series. I can't wait to see how this one will build up into.

Stash Brannigan
I Love Anime

Postby Stash Brannigan » Wed Nov 14, 2018 11:18 pm

Eira wrote:Episode 6 for all spoilers below:
Stash Brannigan wrote:I like the 3 episode character arcs with the main characters still being the main focal relationship.

Spoiler:
I gotta ageee and disagee with this, just in a personal level. I wanted to mention this anyway, I just feel like quoting you is relevant and will maybe help prompt discussion. The three episode arcs are good for being able to pump out multiple arcs within this one short series. Now I haven’t read the light novels so I don’t know how short they are in that but I can’t help but feel like they’re were more expansive and didn’t get rushed along so fast.

Honestly this arc was pretty good, it had a compelling start, a solid consistent middle and then a really good ending and for that reason it really worked for me. But the first arc felt like a bit of a mess, it felt like it went by way to fast and tbh I think that entire first arc could of lasted a whole season if it happened more slowly and the trigger wasn’t something dumb like sleeping. It was good but it felt rushed to me.

So I’m glad we get to see many different arcs within the show but I’m worried we might get another arc in there that feels rushed like the first one did, obvious they’re the main characters so their relationship is still developing and the way they mix it into the other arcs is very interesting. But at the same time she’s not slowly disappearing from people anymore and her conflict with her work is basically all resolved. It could of been so much more expansive, if they’re going to do the 3 episode structure then they need to make it work for that, like the second arc did, I don’t know.

Basically it’s been both a good and bad thing so far and while I did enjoy the first arc, it just felt like it needed more time, hopefully the future arcs will be good. I really like this show and I like the author so I want it to be good, but it’s just something to think about and something I feel very conflicted on atm.

Stash Brannigan wrote:The third girl looks like the love interest from his childhood. Can’t wait to see if that’s the case or just similar look

Spoiler:
I think saying ‘love interest’ is a bit extreme, I didn’t see anything that implied she was a love interest or even from childhood. All it really seemed like was that he knew her, cause you have to also take note that it didn’t seem like she knew him, which means there’s a whole lot of things it could be and ‘love interest’ doesn’t seem like one of them.

Maybe they use to be friends, maybe they use to live near eachother, maybe she should know him but doesn’t for some reason or maybe she was just friends with his sister. We really don’t know, but I’m interested to find out how they’re connected.

The 7th episode is out now so I’m guessing this was answers, but I haven’t watched yet. I went back and checked though. It was Half way through episode 2 before Mai’s mom goes to the beach that he has the flash back of Shoko Makinohara and he says he used to love her. That’s where I got that from and the girl at the end of episode 6 had the same name too. I didn’t catch that the first time.

My thoughts on the three episode arc and what I meant when I said I like it. I haven’t seen many anime that do that. The main one coming to my mind is Seiren from last year, which I know drew a lot of camparisons to a show called Amagami SS. But I had never seen that one. I just think if it’s onky done a couple times a year it’s kind of refreshing. I like the way they are handling this show compared to Seiren.

The first arc I liked mostly for the banter back and forth between Mai and Sakura. It’s really well written and there characters play perfectly off of each other. I likes the gradual increase in conflict for Mai but I do agree that it was too rushed. Unlike the 2nd arc that felt perfectly timed. I think that arc told a better story.

Spoiler:
In a perfect Bunny Senpai world, for me, I would of liked to see Mai start off and the very beginning of her syndrome and gradually get worse through the spanning arcs. So take the first two episodes to introduce Sakura and friends and Mai. Maybe tease adolescence syndrome that happened to Sakura and show Mai kind of in the background. Make it so at first you don’t really notice her then into the second episode you start to see some weird stuff going on in the background with her and that’s when maybe we would get the bunny outfit. Then go into the other arcs slowly while the Mai thing gets worse until the end of the series. So we would start off with Mai. Let that conflict simmer and slow go throughout the show with the other girls 3 episode arcs happening. Then the ending is the big moment for Mai and Sakura. Obviously the sleep thing wouldn’t work but that’s just my thought on one way they could of gone. I’m guessing the tension will rise with this next arc and Mai getting jealous if Shoko and teases of Sakura having lingering feelings.