The Amaha Song Blog

Everything Else!
SethAmaha
Anime Junky

The Amaha Song Blog

Postby SethAmaha » Wed Oct 17, 2018 2:55 am

So this is a revival of a series I enjoyed doing back in my Podcast Catch Up Blog and decided to finally make into it's own thread. Here I will post different songs, diggin deep into them and giving some background information regarding the song, artist, or source. I will mostly cover Vocaloid songs and will hopefully make a good intro to the world of Vocaloid for new comers who would like to know more about it. I will from time to time also feature songs from other media but will mostly stick to Japanese music. I hope everyone has a good time listening to the different dongs and reading the admittedly long articles that I will make in the future. Just as an open admission I will update this thread in an infrequent basis but will try to do at least one song a week and will port a lot of material from the old blog with updated grammar, links, and info.

SethAmaha
Anime Junky

Re: The Amaha Song Blog

Postby SethAmaha » Wed Oct 17, 2018 3:34 am

To begin with, lets start at the basic and start at what exactly Vocaloids are. A vocalid is what we call a voice synthesizing software. They are essentially a program that uses a voice bank created by taking a voice artist, having them say several syllables that are then aggregated and changed in one way or another to produce a unique set of voice banks that are then packaged in a program that a producer can then manipulate into a song. The programs work on a what we call a Vocaloid engine that gets updated every few years by Yamaha with several of the most popular of Vocaloids getting new releases for each engine with an updated set of voice banks and options to produce a different style of singing.

Most, though not all, Vocaloids are given a humanoid character in attachment to the program. Some of the most popular examples are Miku, Luka, IA, and Gumi. Each Vocalid are given names that are usually either derived from their concept design or from the names of their real world Voice Artist.

The very first Vocaloids to be released were the English based Vocaloids Leon, Lola and Miriam created by the company Zero-G in cooperation with Yamaha. Zero-G then went on to produce several more Vocalids for each iteration of the Vocaloid Engines. The first Japanese Vocaloid was Meiko produced by Crypton Future Media and became the first in the most famous of Vocaloid family line. As of now, there are over 80+ different Vocaloids with several coming in Japanese, English, Spanish, Russian, Mandarin and other lanuages. While the Vocaloid fandom is growing, it is still considered a very niche audience outside of Japan although it has been reported that over half of the songs downloaded out legal places like iTunes comes from outside of Japan.

SethAmaha
Anime Junky

Postby SethAmaha » Wed Oct 17, 2018 3:50 am

Now for a more in depth look into actual Vocaloids. We will start with the first Japanese Vocaloid and the oldest sister of the Crypton Media family, Meiko.
Meiko was first released in November 5, 2004. She was created by Yamaha, sold by Crypton Future Media, and her voice banks were provided by Haigou Meiko. Her official code designation is CRV1, and her unofficial fan given code is CV00. True to her status as the elder sister (and partly due to her mild depression stemming from her comparatively small fandom) her character item is a Sake Bottle. Her character within the fandom was developed during the character item wars (again, it was not pretty) and in a sense, within the non canon fandom of course, she is seen as a bit of wild girl that flaunts her sex appeal for attention and cause trouble for everyone but still jokes and smiles at each turn even if she does hide a depressive side of hers that. She is also a drunk.

Since her inception, Meiko has had a very rocky history. Although she sold well when compared to her male counterpart Kaito when they first released, her popularity was never that great and fell into obscurity soon after. Although plans were made for a rerelease for the Vocaloid2 engine, they were cancelled due to not meeting deadline. She saw a bit of revival upon the release of her Vocaloid3 re release but once again fell back into obscurity soon after.

Unlike the rest of siblings, Meiko has unfortunately not had as of a success when it comes to popular songs, mainly due to how rough her voice is to work with. She does however have an advantage at not only being a member of the most popular Vocaloid family, but her design, which is meant to look cool and sexy, is a favorite of figure makers and has had several released in the past. Her actual design is special because unlike the rest of her siblings, her original box did not come with an official art design. Her original design was not considered official by Crypton Media and was not accepted until her Vocaloid3 re release in response to fan art. Although she fell from popularity, today she does receive a good following thanks largely to her featuring in the Hatsune Miku games. Although she does not have many original songs, she has had a few successes in that order and due to the games is popular in cover songs.

As a side note, Meiko does have a derivative version. Much like Miku having several derivatives like Racing Miku and Snow Miku, Meiko has one called Sakine Meiko. Its settings are set in a way to make Meiko sound much younger and the concept is Meiko's voice when she was 16. This was made as a response from producers to further develop Meiko's voice and found a way to make her sound younger.
Last edited by SethAmaha on Thu Oct 18, 2018 4:06 am, edited 3 times in total.

SethAmaha
Anime Junky

Postby SethAmaha » Wed Oct 17, 2018 4:26 am

Although she doesn't have many original songs when compared to her siblings, Meiko has had a few successes in her repertoire.
phpBB [video]

Now available from iTunes.

Evil Food Eater Conchita, Akujiki Musume Konchiita, is part of the Seven Deadly Sin Series in The Evillious Chronicles series created by mothy depicting Meiko as the personification of Gluttony. In true mothy fashion, Meiko, hereby referred to as the duchess, one day eats a meal that would have sicked a normal person. From that day forward she would only eat the most grotesque and poisonous of foods. her hunger would lean on her cooks more and more until she went as far as eating her guests. She would progress further to eating her staff, going into her own cooks, and finally herself. She laments that although she has eaten so many delicious meals, none would know what she herself tastes like.

phpBB [video]

Now available in live form from iTunes.

Piano×Forte×Scandal by OSTER project is another of Meiko's most popular titles, even going as far as being featured in Project Diva Arcade Future Tone and being part of several live lineups. The jazzy style is unique to Vocaloid songs and a favorite among her fans.

phpBB [video]

Original version now available on iTunes

A favorite among player of the DIVA arcade games, The Snow White Princess is (Shiroi Yuki no Princess wa) by Noboru is popular played with Meiko as cover from the original Miku song. It is also played in duet form with Miku and Meiko and among the two fandoms tend to have a bit of "disagreement" of who did it better but that's a story for another day.

As you have seen although Meiko may not have a lot of songs under her name, the few she does have tend to be on the strong side. Her high level of difficulty means that her songs are few, but also means that the few producers that do make them tend to be some of the best and their songs are regularly featured in games and live events.

Fullmetal-Senpai
Otaku

Postby Fullmetal-Senpai » Wed Oct 17, 2018 5:01 am

Calling kyttynz

KYTTYNZ
KYTTYYYYYYYNZ
Kyttynz wrote: hey

Kyttynz
I Love Anime

Postby Kyttynz » Wed Oct 17, 2018 10:27 pm

Sorry I'm late... I went full boomer trying to~o log into the site ^_^

Anyways, don't forget those delightful English Vocaloids! I, like many, was dragged into Vocaloid by Crypton (Megurine Luka is my~y darling) but when I got into actually -using- Vocaloid, since I can't Japanese, I got pre~etty hard into Engloid :3

Here, have some Avanna ::blush::

phpBB [video]

SethAmaha
Anime Junky

Postby SethAmaha » Thu Oct 18, 2018 3:42 am

Kyttynz wrote:
Spoiler:
Sorry I'm late... I went full boomer trying to~o log into the site ^_^

Anyways, don't forget those delightful English Vocaloids! I, like many, was dragged into Vocaloid by Crypton (Megurine Luka is my~y darling) but when I got into actually -using- Vocaloid, since I can't Japanese, I got pre~etty hard into Engloid :3

Here, have some Avanna ::blush::

phpBB [video]

You know what, that is now added to the queue. I plan to eventually do a bio for all the vocaloids I do know (and work on making a format. I even had to go back just now and add more stuff to Meiko's bio that I forgot to add when i did it). I might need some help with the English side though since I do have research all this stuff before hand so I'm not talking out of my butt any give anyone misinformation. I curious now to hear more examples from the different English based vocaloids; I think i've heard one or two before but that was a long time ago so I will definitely need to sit down and look deep into it.

Also, totally agree, Luka is too good to pass up. She is one of my two top favorite of all alongside Gumi. I have a couple songs from Luka I plan to showcase alongside her bio and more random ones after that.

SethAmaha
Anime Junky

Postby SethAmaha » Tue Oct 23, 2018 7:27 am

Now onto Crypton's eldest brother, KAITO.
He was first released in 2006 by Crypton Future Media and voiced by Naoto Fuuga. His official code is CRV2 and his unofficial fan code is CV0.5. Many fans mistakenly give him the last name of SHION, but officially he only has KAITO as his name. KAITO'S road in the world oF Vocaloid is a rocky one, one that started as even darker than his sister, but unlike MEIKO, he would eventually come back in style and continued to have a main role in the limelight.

Upon release, KAITO did not have it easy. He was initially a commercial failure. Where as MEIKO was able to break even in her numbers, KAITO sold a few units and his image quickly went into obscurity. It was thought that this was due largely to the fact that he was male and did not appeal to the core audience and is the same reason why MEIKO, a female, was able to break the required numbers. This in turn made way for the emphasis on making mostly female voices. Nevertheless, KAITO was struck with a bit of luck in 2008. At this time HATSUNE MIKU was quite popular on Nico Nico Douga and KAITO himself was practically unknown and had very few songs to his name. on September 16th, 2007 a user by the nam Tatsunami uploaded a cover of a popular song from HIgurashi no Naku Koro Ni (when the cicadas cry) redubbed as "A Request From Hatsune." (Sorry if I don't have a video of this one, its a very old song that was not properly saved) The video begin with the phrase "please sometimes recall [KAITO]," as well as Miku saying "where are you and what are you doing now?" which is from the song "Dear You". Just four hours later, another user by the name of Ice-P uploaded a response properly called "An Answer To Hatsune Miku". The song became the first introduction to Kaito for most and it sparked a resurgence of KAITO's popularity.
phpBB [video]

KAITO"S popularity grew rapidly from there and eventually gave Crypton Future Media the right to rerelease KAITO to the world in VOCALOID3 engine, taking his sister MEIKO along with him with her own rerelease. Unlike MEIKO however, KAITO continued his rise and to this day hangs around 6th place as the most popular vocaloid in Nico Nico Douga.

As a side note, "An Answer To Hatsune Miku" video became the first instance of KAITO eating ice cream and would eventually become his signature item after the item wars ended. Like all Crypton vocaloids, KAITO has q few derivatives under his name, my favorite of which is the genderbent KAIKO Image

SethAmaha
Anime Junky

Postby SethAmaha » Wed Oct 31, 2018 2:20 am

Due to how busy I've been all week, I actually for got to add this part to last weeks bio, but ut at least gives me some time to prepare for the next one and it is a big one considering who exactly it is.

Now onto to KAITO's abilities. One of the reasons why KAITO was originally unpopular among producers was due in part to his range. His voice is deep and very artificial, making it hard to actually work around it. When his resurgence occurred, new and innovated ways were made to make his voice fit in. For this reason, most of his songs tend to be on the seductive nature (something he shares with another vocaloid we will get onto in the future). One of my favorite examples of this is Cantarella by KurousaP (Whiteflame)
phpBB [video]

Now available from iTunes

Published on February 21 of 2008, Cantarella is a duet with KAITO and Hatsune Miku. True to its namesake of a poison used by the Borgia family that had a pleasant taste when used in food and wine, the song tells of the main singer portrayed by KAITO ensnaring his victim in an an obsessive and inescapable love. The song is a fan favorite, earning a spot as one of the songs commonly featured in many Project Diva games (from where this video was taken from. With the rerelease of KAITO on the V3 engine back in 2013, the song was given an updated cover with Cantarella (grace Edition). This version is also another fan favorite from the Project Diva games.
phpBB [video]

SethAmaha
Anime Junky

Postby SethAmaha » Fri Nov 02, 2018 5:18 am

Lets celebrate me getting out of work early for once by doing another KAITO feature. This is Sennen no Dokusouka (A Thousand Year Solo) by yanagiP.
phpBB [video]

Live version is now available from iTunes

Made back in April 27, 2008, this is a notable song for both KAITO and yanagiP in that it is the producer's most popular song, it is the first KAITO song to have reached over 1 million views on Nico Nico DOuga, and the first KAITO song to be featured in the Weekly VOCALOID Rankings. A song that is regularly re-released in several omnibus albums and another favorite in several Diva games, the song is admittedly a little different in terms of styles I normally feature but it is very catchy if I say so myself. The song tells the story of a being personified by KAITO who sings for a long dead loved one. With the promise to sing for hee, he has continued to sing alone for over a thousand years, and promising to continue forever more. Its a solemn and sometimes sad song but it does play an important role in forging KAITO's image in that despite all his quirks, many of which we went over 2 weeks ago, he is one who is dedicated for the ones he loves and is one of the reasons why so many of his songs tend to be either seductive or love songs.