The Amaha Song Blog

Everything Else!
SethAmaha
Anime Junky

Re: The Amaha Song Blog

Postby SethAmaha » Sun Dec 02, 2018 11:00 pm

Welcome back to the final song in this series. We now close it out, appropriately enough with Close*2 by KagomeP featuring Kagamine Rin.
phpBB [video]

Now available from iTunes

First published on September 21, 2011 this is one of KagomeP's most notable works and was featured on the omnibus albums EXIT TUNES PRESENTS Supernova 6 and KagomeP's solo album Close*2. If I'm being honest there I don't really have a way to interpret the meaning of this song other than Rin singing about becoming great in the eyes of the listener. There is probably a far deeper meaning to it but until I learn Japanese properly or someone that already does translates it, it will be a happy mystery for me.

As promised the next one will be a bio. Because the next Vocaloid is one of my two top favorite Vocaloids and because I have a ton of great song just for her, for the entire month of December it will be solely dedicated to songs for the pink princess herself, Megurine Luka.

SethAmaha
Anime Junky

Postby SethAmaha » Tue Dec 04, 2018 3:52 am

And now for the pink princess herself (and one of my two top favorite Vocaloids), Megurine Luka.
Image(Look at that, isn't she just the most beautiful thing you've ever seen)?

Created and distributed by Crypton Future media and were released in January 30, 2009, Luka was the third in the Crypton Vocal Series and the first to be released with a bilingual library including both Japanese and English voice banks. Designated code CV03, Luka was a product made from the lessons of her predecessors. Her concept design, a multilanguage Vocaloid, was originally a concept that was meant for Miku was was dropped due to technical difficulties. Her original box art design was made by long running Crypton affiliate artist KEI who had previously designed Miku, Rin, and Len.
(I'm going to cheat now and copy word for word because the source where I'm getting some of my information put it best.)According to KEI, who was asked by Crypton to illustrate her, her design was made to be asymmetrical due to her bilingual software so she would look different in various angles. Unlike previous mascots in the series, her costume is not based on a school uniform. She is based on the "Yamaha VL1 VL-1". Her dress was designed to look old-fashioned to make her represent the past. As a form of contrast, the "∞" on her neck area represents "sound around".[4] Her design incorporates woodwind and brass instruments. The gold curl design on her chest mimics brass instruments and a circulatory organ. The blue jewel near her throat represents moisture in the air and water drops. In a sense,to match her concept as multilingual, English speaking Vocaloid, she was designed to look like an old timey American Lounge singer, sporting a tight one piece dress.

Her Voice provider is Yuu Asakawa, a voice actor and media personality. Her ability to speak English is what initially got her the role as Luka's voice provider and she has acted in several anime roles such as Motoko Aoyama of the Love Hina series, Hibiki Tsukahara from Amagami SS, Chisato Hasegawa from Testament of Sister New Devil, and (these are admittedly my favorite roles for her since I play the games and love the entire anime series) Stheno, Euryale, Medusa, Gorgon from the Fate anime and game franchise. Excuse me while I go back to FGO and listen to all the seductive voice acting

Initially, Luka was hoped to be made to sound sexy,much like her provider Yuu Asakawa. (again, check FGO for great, sexy examples). This however was not achievable due to technical limitations as stated by Crypton head Wataru Sasaki, it made Luka sound too soft and bored. Like all Vocaloids in their initial runs, many difficulties made Luka's V2 banks lackluster in some areas and she had to get several appends done before finally re releasing in the V4 system. Her improvements in V4 were so great, Yuu Asakawa stated that unlike Luka's V2 release, V4 sounded much like her own voice.

Luka's success ( I swear I will one day find aVocalolid where this was not the case) has had her ups and down, mostly due to losing her standing to newer Vocaloid releases. Despite that, she continued to remain relevant, getting her spot back in the rankings after the high of new Vocaloid releases passed. Her library is the noted for being the first Vocaloid to have ever knocked Hatsune Miku off the charts, taking first place in sales and NND rankings on several occasions.

(and now for the fun stuff)Luka, like her predecessors, was a subject of the a bloody item wars. On top finally came out Tako Luka, which was designed by Sangatsu Youka (aka Sanpachi) because according to him, Luka's hair reminded him of an octopus. The derivative was officially recognized by Crypton Future Media as an official derivative and producers use Luka at a higher range to denote her voice. Tako Luka marked the end of item wars, with new Vocaloids after her either not being popular enough to denote an item to, or (for most) were given an item right out the gate by their companies.
(yes, Tako Luka has products you can buy and they are kawaii as hell)

Officially (and as a joke) Luka is forever 20 years old. This makes her relationship with her sister Miku a little weird in that despite Miku being her predecessor, Luka is technically older. This is the reason why in many doujinshis and forums their elder/younger sister relationship tends to shift. SHe is still older than Rin and Len and for the most part younger than KAITO and MEIKO, thou fans like to treat all three as equal.

And that was the introduction to Megurine Luka. For the rest of the month of December, I will dedicate each day to feature songs with Luka both because I love her and because it is the most appropriate action considering she is the last official Vocaloid from the Crypton Future Media family. Hope you enjoy this series because I know I will.

SethAmaha
Anime Junky

Postby SethAmaha » Tue Dec 04, 2018 4:29 am

For the first n the series, a song I am so addicted to, I literally listen to it at least once a day. This is bootstrap by temporu.
phpBB [video]

This song is free to download from the composer's Piapro page, but because I know how much of a pain in the butt it is to actually get to that in a Japanese website, here is a download Link.

First published in February 1, 2009 this song is one of a few made by tempuro. Unfortunately despite his obvious talent, tempuro only released about a dozen songs between 2009-2011, this song being on his best. The song was later released 3 days later with the video seen above.(the green hair chick in the video is FL-chan, don't worry too much about her, that's a whole nother bag of worms to open up later, much like Kasane Teto). Admittedly this is not one of the most popular songs by Luka due to the fact that the producer is not a big name in the industry and because it was never officially licensed, keeping it away from any comercial albums and games but keeping it free for the masses. I only came about this song on accident because I am crazy enough to listen to thousands of Vocaloid songs, hoping to strike gold.

I'll be honest with you, I have no clue whatsoever what this song is about. The lyrics mix both Japanese and English in a very grammatically nonsensical way and even the parts that are supposed to be complete English sentences make no damm sense to me and yet despite that I love this song to no end. I put this song as one that doesn't require you to know what the song is about (and quite honestly no other song should but I'm weird in trying) but is still great to listen to.

I do hope you enjoy this song as much as I do and become as addicted as I am. I feel great stating this series with this little gem and hope you will join me for this entire month as we go over all the best from Megurine Luka.

SethAmaha
Anime Junky

Postby SethAmaha » Wed Dec 05, 2018 3:32 am

In order to not shoot myself from all the grinding in FGO, time for another Luka song. Speaking of shooting oneself, this is is a tough one to get through. This is Just be Friends by Dixie Flatline, featuring Megurine Luka.
phpBB [video]

This song hirts to listen to when you've come out of a break up, but yes, it is available from iTunes.

First published in July 4, 2009, this is Dixie Flatline most notable work and one of Luka's most popular titles. The song was an instant success and has and is still constantly featured in several omnibus albums. The song carries a bit of historical controversy due to the plagiarism by the video's creator Yunomi-P. The song was finally privatized by Dixie Flatline years later after the fiasco fell over.

There is absolutely no easy way to get around this, this is a break up song. One of most obvious songs considering the title is in English, the lyrics hold nothing back as it feels so gao real. The lyrics tell a story of a couple falling in love, getting together, spending years in a happy relationship but realizing later that the love has faded away and that it would be best to break up. Due to the fact that the story feel so true to life, even the fact that no one is really blamed and that the song can be taken from either perspective, it has become one of the best break up songs out there. (it honestly hits too close to home, as many people who have been in such relationships can attest to.) The song has an answer song to it, which wer will get into next time, but for now just dwell in the bitterness that this song brings.

Hopefully I haven;t sunk anyone into suicidal depression and will still keep going with this series (at the very least until the answer song comes in tomorrow. I personally have no idea what it says so we will be learning what the ultimate outcome is together.)) I will see everyone tomorrow as we explore the answer to Just be Friends, Answer.

SethAmaha
Anime Junky

Postby SethAmaha » Thu Dec 06, 2018 2:43 am

This was a huge mistake, whose bright idea was this? So i went ahead and did some digging into the next song and my heart instantly hated every part of me that thought about doing it. If I haven't scared off anyone else, here is Answer by Dixie Flatline, featuring Megurine Luka.
phpBB [video]

Song is only available on the EXIT TUNES PRESENTS Vocalofuture feat. Hatsune Miku album from CD Japan.

Officially released in July 27, 2012, this song is special for Dixie Flatline's western fanbase in that it was actually first unveiled at the Anime Expo 2012. (lets just get this over with so I can let my heart rest for a bit)

As mentioned last time, this is the reply song to Dixie Flatline's previous work, Just be Friends. The song takes place 3 years after the break up from the first song and tells the girl's (Luka's) side. It tells of her journey to try to heal and forget their decision but is constantly reminded of all the irreplaceable memories. Every step she took reminded her of those days. In every drop of rain she recalls them back. She does not regret the decision they made, but the pain of having to let go has never left her and though she has moved on with herlife, she still wonder, What if?

Now if you excuse me, I will go have a drink and hope it kills the pain enough to let me fall asleep. I hope you enjoy (if that's even the right word to use in this context) this song and hope to see you soon. I will definitely find something a little more chipper than these last two. SO far we have had songs that are depressing because they've been dark in some way, but now we've had depressing for being too real. I promise next song will be happier, I promise. (I hope)

SethAmaha
Anime Junky

Postby SethAmaha » Fri Dec 07, 2018 6:43 am

Let me just start off by saying this+ There is something really wrong with Japanese Fans and Producers. Do you have any idea how long it took me to find a popular song that wasn't crazy? Well, anyways, after much research, here is Ai Dee(identity) by Mitchie M, featuring Megurine Luka and Hatsune Miku.
phpBB [video]

Available now on the V♥25 -cantabile- album from CD Japan.

First published in June 12, 2012 it is one of Mitchie M's greatest works and one of both Luka's and Miku's most listened to song. Since it was published, it has kept a high rating in the weekly NND Vocaloid polls and has been praised for its clarity for Luka's English lines and for the overall natural sound of the voices.

This song, for once, is one with a positive (FINALLY!!) The lyrics don't really tell a story but is instead a long positive message to the listener to accept oneself, to walk into the world with confidence and optimism and just have a blast. It's honestly a great song to listen to (specially after all the ones that could have lead to suicide) and its a great message to take to heart because while we can improve ourselves to a degree, we have to be able to love ourselves as we are first long before we could ever hope to be happy.

Hope you enjoy that song and come back for more. Since the randomizer is feeling lonely, we will let it decide what is next song on the series. (I'm going to regret this aren't I?)

SethAmaha
Anime Junky

Postby SethAmaha » Sat Dec 08, 2018 5:47 am

And we are back with more Luka via the randomizer. Like I predicted, the randomizer is dark. This is Leia by Yuyoyuppe featuring Megurine Luka.
phpBB [video]

Available on the VOCAROCK collection 3 feat. Hatsune Miku album from CD Japan.

Fitrst published in January 1, 2011 this is one of Yuyoyuppe's best songs and has been featured in over half a dozen albums. This song has been covered by several other composers and utaites and Yuyoyuppe himself has also done a few remixes as well as a remastered version, called Leia - Remind, which he recently released on October 27, 2018. This song is followed up by an answer song that takes another character's perspective to the story this one tell. The trick to the meaning this song is in its name, which according to the producer, was a play on words with the word Lie. And now lets take a look at what story this song brings.

Luckily, (and mainly because I've been getting so used to this, the song itself is dark but not depressing for most listeners (at least not if you been keeping up with all the songs we been going through) The story of this song is about an artist who draws a girl so beautiful that he falls in love it. Realizing that his love is but an illusion, he gouges out his own eyes so that he can never see his reality, but to instead live forever in the lie. But as as comes to accept that it is truly a lie and his feeling could never be returned, he burns the painting with him, choosing to at least die in the lie.

And that was Leia. Because the answer song is also sung by Luka, the next song we will do tomorrow will be on that so come back again and look forward to the next song, Reon.

EDIT: I reposted this for the sole purpose of beating the Russian bot/trolls

SethAmaha
Anime Junky

Postby SethAmaha » Sun Dec 09, 2018 3:46 am

And welcome back once more as we go over the answer song to last night's song Leia. Today we will go over Reon by Yuyoyuppe, featuring Megurine Luka.
phpBB [video]

Available on the Story of Hope album from CD Japan.

Uploaded June 4, 2012 this song as stated before is the answer song to Yuyoyuppe's previous work Leia. Whereas Leia came from a play on words to the word Lie, this song is a play on words on the word Real.

The song is from the perspective of a girl who is close to the artist, with the PV suggesting that she was the inspiration to the painting that took him away from reality. She stays with him, even as he paints and his eyes fall away from her and reality. She worries for him and in the end decided to continue staying by his side till the day he finally snaps back into reality and looks back at her. That is the whole story of the song ends but if we take the two together, the end result is that he never sees her and leaves her behind when he burns himself away with the painting. The story is tragic and takes a lot of inspiration of tells of artist from the past going mad. This is more of a side note but historians suggest the reason why so many artist went mad back in the day was due to the toxins from the paint they were using.

And there we have it, the tragic tale of love and madness. Look forward to tomorrow's feature as we look into one of my absolute favorite songs of all time.

SethAmaha
Anime Junky

Postby SethAmaha » Mon Dec 10, 2018 7:32 pm

Because there is no way in hell I would ever do a Luka series without talking about this song. Tonight we have Luka Luka★Night Fever by samfree, featuring Megurine Luka.
phpBB [video]

Available now on iTunes. (If there is any song I would ever recommend buying, it is this one)

Published on February 12, 2009 this is the first in samfree's "Night Series" and is perhaps the one song that can be considered his magnum opus and is also important to note that this was the very first song he made using Luka. The song is one of Luka's earliest hits, one of her best known and beloved songs. Just days after it was uploaded, the number of hits it had on NND rivaled other popular songs that took either months or even years to reach the same numbers. It and was even used as a PV (showed above) to promote the Project Diva games and a cover of it was even featured on Konami's DANCE EVOLUTION ARCADE game. The song has been featured in over a dozen different albums and is a fan favorite for concert goers.

Officially, the song is about "a 2D woman who wants to break through the "dimensions". The lyrics reflect that in that it invites the listener to let her in so she can make you forget your troubles and have a good time.

As a bonus for this song, samfree also did a sort of answer song called Tako Luka☆ Tuna Fever using the Tako Luka derivative. It is such a funny, slow song in the perspective of Tako Luka asking you to serve her some delicious Tuna, to listen to the slow rhythm, and to forget your troubles. (and for those who are wondering, yes despite Tako Luka being Luka's own character item, Tako Luka is also treated as her own thing and yes, her own item is a delicious Tuna)
phpBB [video]

(The song is by samfree and a a fan loved the song so much, they made the video themselves.)

That's it for this special feature, I hope to see you all again tomorrow as we let the Randomize have it's way.

EDIT: I refuse to let the Russian bots have their way

SethAmaha
Anime Junky

Postby SethAmaha » Tue Dec 11, 2018 5:40 am

Welcome back once more to a month of Luka. Tonight's randomizer pick is World's End Dancehall by wowaka, featuring Megurine Luka and Hatsune Miku.
phpBB [video]

Available now from iTunes.

Published on May 18, 2010 this is one of wowaka's most notable works and his first ever using Luka. Like so many other popular songs we have reviewed, this has been featured in half a dozen albums, is available for play on the Project Diva games (video ripped from there)(UPDATE: I originally put another video, but found it too weird. This one is much better because Luka's outfit is much more lewd. A Lewd Luka is a Good Luka) , and has been used for several Live performances .

Like many of wowaka's works, the Lyrics of the song are vague and hard to interpret but here we have the general consensus. The song is about two lover (YAY YURI) singing and dancing during the final days of the planet and in the end committing suicide as the world ends. The message would be morbid if the song wasn't so cherry about it but hey, as we all know, Japanese producers are mental.

Hope you enjoy tonight's pick and look forward to seeing you again tomorrow for more Luka.