No votes

Total votes: 6

BlueSpark
Otaku

Re: Community Watch Along: Knights of Sidonia

Postby BlueSpark » Tue Jan 08, 2019 2:46 am

Episode 3
Spoiler:
The way Kobayashi behaved in this episode makes me wonder if she's fabricating or at least manipulating the facts she announces to the residents in order to benefit her own agenda. It also seems suspicious that she's suddenly working so closely with Kunato... Then again, he's the head of a hugely important company. It'd be an interesting twist if she's already infected by one of those parasites.

Did I get this right: O.G., aye! injected a human egg cell / embryo into a captured gauna ena, and that's how the first hybrid came into being? Seems morally questionable, indeed.

Poor Tanikaze still as a lot to learn about life. It looks like in the underground, nobody ever taught him to knock before entering. Seriously, though, a "boy-walks-in-on-naked-female" gag seems horribly misplaced in this show. Bet this was an eye-rolling moment for a lot of fans.

In good news: It appears (gauna-fied) Hoshijiro is still alive. Yay! I wonder if she'll meet get to Tsumugi at some point.
Speaking of which, when she isn't on the battlefield wreaking havoc, Tsumugi seems just like a little girl that Tanikaze and Izana need to take care of. Especially with her also being voiced by Stephanie Sheh, this conjures up images of Yui in Sword Art Online.
Know a decent number of anime characters? Check out my forum game!

BlueSpark
Otaku

Postby BlueSpark » Wed Jan 09, 2019 2:30 am

Episode 4
Spoiler:
"What the gauna did to me," eh? So Tsumugi really did inherit Hoshijiro's consciousness/memories. The looming threat of emotional tragedy intensifies.
On that point, seeing Hoshijiro back in her human body in the episode preview was quite the shocker. I'm excited to see what role she's going to play.
Tsumugi's situation reminds me a bit of Darling in the FranXX's Zero-Two, what with her rage directed at the gauna for very personal reasons. Including the way she went out of control for a minute there and hurt someone she loves in the process.

Izana's final words made me sad, in a depressing way. It almost hurt to watch. Even as she barely clings to life, she's pleading for help to save Tsumugi... You're too good for this cruel world, girl (or boy, or mixed-sex clone) :/.

fragoff
I Bleed Anime

Postby fragoff » Wed Jan 09, 2019 8:02 am

episode 1-4+

Spoiler:
One thing i do not appriciate in season 2, is this turn on comedy. i do not think it fits the show at all. and it get worst. maybe it is because season one did not prapare us for it. But the tone is really off compare to the story.
Drama is a tention element, comedy is a relaxing element. If your whole serie works on tention, you are killing it with comedy. it is like giving pills for lung cancer but keep smoking.
I am not saying it cannot be done, but it is a very difficult art, and i believe they fail at it here.
"Tolerance is the lube that helps slip the didlo of dysfunction into the neko of a civilized society" -Plato

BlueSpark
Otaku

Postby BlueSpark » Thu Jan 10, 2019 3:58 am

Episode 5
Spoiler:
I've got to say, they didn't go out of their way to milk Tsumugi's near-death for a tearjerker. But seeing all those little pictures and messages of gratefulness next to the entrance did tickle my feels just right.
On a related note, the creators of the anime sure played me for a fool - after getting my hopes up in the last episode preview, Hoshijiro only reappeared in Tanikaze's dream. Dang. But maybe she will return eventually.

Izana's reaction to Nagate's call in the bath was pretty great :D. Overall, though, I agree with fragoff. The comedic beats clash way too hard with the overall serious tone. Some scenes fall flat more than others for me, but I think the series on the whole would be better off ditching that angle entirely (much like how I felt about Scum's Wish).

BlueSpark
Otaku

Postby BlueSpark » Fri Jan 11, 2019 3:10 am

I have a proposal: What say we name this thread "BlueSpark Watch Along (real name pending)" :P?

Episode 6
Spoiler:
Disregarding for a moment whether the comedy is appropriate or not, I'll say the slow-motion scene of Nagate looking after the rice ball while catching Izana was pretty epic :D. Honestly, I would've loved to see him change his mind at the last second and save the food instead of her. But that would've been material for an actual comedy show.
Also, the real estate (?) lady's comment "I didn't know you liked pipes so much" cracked me up good :D.

And then we see her climbing a ladder. Excuse me, Mr. director, sir, could you shove that pantyshot in my face a bit more, please? Between this and the comedy, I can't shake the suspicion that the production committee felt a big need to add some more fanservice appeal to this season. Seriously, even though I personally don't mind (I'm just mocking in jest), I don't think that's what the majority of the show's fans wanted to see.

And to further the fanservice angle, they're even moefying Tsumugi, what with her general demeanor and Stephanie Sheh's childlike, cute voice (in the dub, of course). I have to say, it creates a bit of an uncomfortable clash when contrasted with her looks - curiously more so for her pink tentacle extension than for her full body.

So, the new top dogs of the Sidonia have used the very being of their enemy to forge a devastating new weapon from it. No surprise they're not showing any moral qualms about it.
On a related note, I liked the comparison of beetles and humans to humans and gauna. That was unexpectedly profound.

Eira
Anime Junky

Postby Eira » Fri Jan 11, 2019 10:16 am

BlueSpark wrote:I have a proposal: What say we name this thread "BlueSpark Watch Along (real name pending)"

I'm so sorry, you know I want to be there. I thought I'd have more free time once I got back from japan. (It is still summer break in Australia) But that hasn't been the case thus far since I've also been finishing up the shows that ended while I was away and the new season has begun, things have just been crazy busy for me outside of anime watching too.
Everything I say is in relation to me, objectivity doesn't exist.

MAL: https://myanimelist.net/profile/Eira_99
Feel free to add me on Discord for more chat form discussions: One True Eira#1560

fragoff
I Bleed Anime

Postby fragoff » Sat Jan 12, 2019 1:16 am

BlueSpark wrote:I have a proposal: What say we name this thread "BlueSpark Watch Along (real name pending)" :P?

It is not because i do not post that i do not read. If i have nothing to add, i don't post. Beside, i think it will be more interesting to talk about this show at the end. But keep posting. I read you

P.s: konosuba is out dubbed on crunchyroll, spark. Go watch it!
Last edited by fragoff on Sat Jan 12, 2019 9:59 am, edited 2 times in total.
"Tolerance is the lube that helps slip the didlo of dysfunction into the neko of a civilized society" -Plato

BlueSpark
Otaku

Postby BlueSpark » Sat Jan 12, 2019 3:48 am

fragoff wrote:P.s: konosuba is out dunned on crunchyroll, spark. Go watch it!
Yup, the hype is real :). What I'm not sure about yet is whether it'll be dumped binge-ready or released weekly. From the direct quote I read ("premiere date" Jan 15), I would assume weekly broadcasting. Which means I'll have to wait before I can jump on it and watch the season in one go. I'm currently still preoccupied with the Spice and Wolf manga, anyway (although I've only got 2 more volumes to go till the finale).

Episode 7
Spoiler:
In a twisted way, I'm happy that the gauna took control of the beam emitter right away. Serves Kobayashi right. Of course, this might spell doom for the entire ship, but that's karma for you.

Just when I thought the shoehorned fanservice couldn't become any more blatant, Izana's suit explodes. I wanted to laugh and facepalm at the same time :P.
Then we got Tsumugi casually answering the door. The door of Tanikaze's apartment, which she snuck into against regulations.
And we got the patented girls' boob talk in the bath (with Nagate being in earshot, of course).
And then Izana plays the tsundere card on him out of nowhere :D.

In all honesty, though, it's really cool how the show picked up the plot point of Izana's gender/sex again. With her constantly fawning over Nagate, it really was only a matter of time, I suppose.

fragoff
I Bleed Anime

Postby fragoff » Sat Jan 12, 2019 9:59 am

Curse those fat fingers of mine and this small neko phone keyboard. Typos corrected.

BlueSpark
Otaku

Postby BlueSpark » Sun Jan 13, 2019 3:06 am

Episode 8
Spoiler:
Oh my god, Tsumugi can blush! That's so random but cute at the same time ::happy::.

I genuinely enjoyed the more slice-of-lifey bits in this episode - this way, the comedy actually matches the tone. Still feels horribly disconnected from the rest of the series, though.

I guess we now have an official harem setting at our hands? I mean, there were signs from the start, but now there are 3 girls pining over him. And the only one Nagate himself actually seemed romantically interested in (Hoshijiro) isn't around anymore. Bummer.

I really find Izana's transformation into a tsundere quite perplexing. Unless this show wants to teach us that it's all in the female genes. Oh crap... Now they're going to send the feminist squads after me, aren't they?