Manga News: Shonen Jump Goes Free to Read!

Page Turning Anime!
User avatar
Eira
Crazy About Anime
Posts: 343
Joined: Sun May 20, 2018 6:00 pm
Location: Australia

Manga News: Shonen Jump Goes Free to Read!

Postby Eira » Sat Dec 08, 2018 4:14 pm

Shonen jump has announced that on their website and app manga chapters will now come out in English the same day as japan and will be completely free to read right away!
Image
This is gonna be great to help cut down on piracy and is great showing of evolving to fit the market in its current state. So now you can legitammly read shonen jump manga as soon as japan and for free, this is insane!

Also for just $1.99 a month you’ll have access to a back catalog of EVERYTHING shonen jump has ever put out in English. So anything that’s never been translated won’t be there, but if it’s ever been in English then it should be there. And only $2 a month is real cheap.

What do you guys think?
Are any of you gonna take advantage of this?
Will any of you buy into the subscription for the backlog?
What manga publications do you hope do something similar and do you think this is a good system?


I personally hope a lot more publications follow this kind of model, this a huge step in the right direction to fight piracy in manga!

User avatar
fragoff
Anime Junky
Posts: 784
Joined: Mon Feb 20, 2017 4:09 am

Re: Manga News: Shonen Jump Goes Free to Read!

Postby fragoff » Sun Dec 09, 2018 1:22 pm

What do you guys think?

It's great for those who are interested


Are any of you gonna take advantage of this?

Not me really. I already hate having
my beloved mangas to be publish every 3-4 months. I certainly won't torture myself 3-4 pages at a time for possible titles i would like in there.


Will any of you buy into the subscription for the backlog?

Nope. I like my manga collection. I'll stick with the format. I will also avoid all the publicity.


What manga publications do you hope do something similar and do you think this is a good system?

Sadly, shonen jump is not known for publishing anything 'controversial'. You don't read made in abyss or happy sugar life in there.
It is probably much better for all the naruto fans out there.
As for the system, i am sure it can appeal to people. Hell! It might even attract more north americans into anime. So we can hope, tha one day, betwen a silent voice, your name and a random disney crap, disney will not automatically wins all the cinema awards out there.
Last edited by fragoff on Mon Dec 10, 2018 1:38 am, edited 1 time in total.
"Tolerance is the lube that helps slip the didlo of dysfunction into the neko of a civilized society" -Plato

User avatar
Chris
Site Co-Founder
Posts: 2393
Joined: Fri Jan 17, 2014 7:37 pm

Re: Manga News: Shonen Jump Goes Free to Read!

Postby Chris » Sun Dec 09, 2018 3:41 pm

I’m defiantly seriously considering it. This has been what I have been asking for for a long time so it would be unfair for me not to support it.

It sounds like to a tee what I have been pointing out as the issue, catching up.
Image

Mys145
I Bleed Anime
Posts: 1240
Joined: Tue Sep 09, 2014 4:53 pm

Re: Manga News: Shonen Jump Goes Free to Read!

Postby Mys145 » Sun Dec 09, 2018 6:27 pm

I was already on the previous plan for Shounen Jump so I'm automatically transfer to the new model. I will miss the easy centralization of the current lineup in titles especially for the brand new titles like Chainsaw Dog.

I really hope that current English Shounen Jump will match the Japanese one for one since currently it wasn't with titles like Yuuna and the Haunted Hot Springs and Haikyuu aren't in the English Jump but in the Japanese one. It looks like it will kill the Jump Start program and maybe just continue releasing chapters of the Jump Start series after the third chapter instead of hoping it would be picked up for the magazine after the third chapter.

With the transfer happening in 8 days from now, I don't know how the backlog system will look like or what titles will be available. I do know there's a limit of 100 chapters that you can read on a per day basis which is probably a good thing. I think it's easier to catch up with manga than it is with anime based on my experience.

So I'm mixed at the moment but hopeful for the better.

User avatar
Eira
Crazy About Anime
Posts: 343
Joined: Sun May 20, 2018 6:00 pm
Location: Australia

Re: Manga News: Shonen Jump Goes Free to Read!

Postby Eira » Mon Dec 10, 2018 1:45 am

Chris wrote:I’m defiantly seriously considering it. This has been what I have been asking for for a long time so it would be unfair for me not to support it.

Same kinda boat I’m in, a manga subscription like service is neat and it’s mainly what’s kept me from getting more into manga. I love physical media and for the longest time that was what was holding me back but even after accepting that I just don’t have the space for it I still haven’t gotten into it a show much as I would of liked.
Chris wrote:It sounds like to a tee what I have been pointing out as the issue, catching up.

But at least it’s an option for people who can do it. Outside of that $2 really isn’t that much and since it’s give pretty much everything from the past then it’s not like anything’s going to go away.

Although it’s unfortunate that series that have ended will end up being locked behind the pay wall still.
Mys145 wrote:I really hope that current English Shounen Jump will match the Japanese one for one since currently it wasn't with titles like Yuuna and the Haunted Hot Springs and Haikyuu aren't in the English Jump but in the Japanese one.

Unfortunately it doesn’t look like the case, the trailer seemed to make a point of the backlog and new things only being things that are being translated. Maybe they’ll bring that stuff over in English but it looks like if it wasn’t in the English shonen jump then that’s going to stay the same and we’ll still have those things blocked off from us.
Mys145 wrote:With the transfer happening in 8 days from now, I don't know how the backlog system will look like or what titles will be available. I do know there's a limit of 100 chapters that you can read on a per day basis which is probably a good thing.

Wait really!? Is that a thing even if you’re a payed member. That’s kinda crazy. I understand that someone could just pay once and then catch up fast enough to no longer have to pay and you’d want someway to slow that down but that’s kind of unfortunate for someone like me who can’t read most days but when I get a chance too I want to be able to read as much as I can.

Either way I’ll sign up once the change is made and see how it works, hopefully that’s not the case, will be a real shame if it is.

Mys145
I Bleed Anime
Posts: 1240
Joined: Tue Sep 09, 2014 4:53 pm

Re: Manga News: Shonen Jump Goes Free to Read!

Postby Mys145 » Mon Dec 10, 2018 7:58 pm

Eira wrote:
Mys145 wrote:I really hope that current English Shounen Jump will match the Japanese one for one since currently it wasn't with titles like Yuuna and the Haunted Hot Springs and Haikyuu aren't in the English Jump but in the Japanese one.

Unfortunately it doesn’t look like the case, the trailer seemed to make a point of the backlog and new things only being things that are being translated. Maybe they’ll bring that stuff over in English but it looks like if it wasn’t in the English shonen jump then that’s going to stay the same and we’ll still have those things blocked off from us.
Mys145 wrote:With the transfer happening in 8 days from now, I don't know how the backlog system will look like or what titles will be available. I do know there's a limit of 100 chapters that you can read on a per day basis which is probably a good thing.

Wait really!? Is that a thing even if you’re a payed member. That’s kinda crazy. I understand that someone could just pay once and then catch up fast enough to no longer have to pay and you’d want someway to slow that down but that’s kind of unfortunate for someone like me who can’t read most days but when I get a chance too I want to be able to read as much as I can.


The 100 chapters per day is a real thing so you just need to deal with that.

Actually Viz is going to start to simulapub some of the series that they weren't being released before (such as Haikyuu) which include some of the Jump Starts. I realized that they aren't going to simulapub Yuuna and the Haunted Springs because Seven Seas has the English rights. The only titles just on Japanese Jump are Hinomaru Sumo (there's no English publisher but hoping it will be corrected soon), Jimoto ga Japan, and Shishunki Renaissance! David-kun. The last two I wasn't really impress by when they were a part of Jump Start and fine with not continuing.