440) State of Anime 2019

Talk about the Podcast!
Andrew
Site Admin

440) State of Anime 2019

Postby Andrew » Sun Feb 17, 2019 10:14 am

A lot has happened in the anime sphere, and it has been some time since the hosts of the Otaku Spirit Animecast have sat down for a deep dive on how they see the industry as a whole.

Topics this episode: Biggest Changes, MyAnimeList Ownership, Sony’s Involvement with Funimation, Crunchyroll’s Relationship Changes, Netflix’s Evolution, FuniRoll Breakup, Amazon’s Dwindling, Twin Engine’s Rise, Drama in 2018, Controversial Topics in Storytelling, Anime Bubble, Improvements in Distribution, Social Media Toxicity, Returning Series, Genre Trends, and passings of last year.

The opening for this episode is the OP for Children of Whales OP called “Sono Saki e” by RIRIKO. The closing for this episode is the ED for After The Rain called “Ref:rain” by Aimer.

We hope you all enjoy!
http://otakuspirit.com/2019/02/animecas ... nime-2019/
Keep Connected to OtakuSpirit: YouTube, Facebook, iTunes, Twitter, MyAnimeList
Fate Grand Order: Tsubaki 554,837,694

GlenGeeSquared2019
I Like Anime

Re: 440) State of Anime 2019

Postby GlenGeeSquared2019 » Sun Feb 17, 2019 6:16 pm

Speaking of Noitamina Block, "The Tatami Galaxy" was a show that really impressed me. There's tons of other titles as well, like Princess Jellyfish, Fractale, Psycho Pass, and Bunny Drop that confirmed what you said about Noitamina Block being a place for unique anime programming, but man, I really liked The Tatami Galaxy.

Good show, by the way. It's been too long since I've been listening in, but I'm glad I tuned in tonight. Keep up the good work, guys!
Last edited by GlenGeeSquared2019 on Sun Feb 17, 2019 6:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.

BlueSpark
I Bleed Anime

Postby BlueSpark » Tue Feb 19, 2019 3:38 am

Just a personal comment on my own stance on MyAnimeList: I've never felt the need to use it. I keep my own list of what I've watched (which allows me to add notes and other stuff for each show), I have ANN as well as a German anime databank for numbers and facts, and I use BehindTheVoiceActors to check out a show's VAs. And yeah, I'm 100% with you regarding the reviews section (which I've only glanced at a handful of times). My biggest personal gripe, however, is that MAL lists the Japanese show titles first. That's probably being unreasonable on my end, but I'm a dub fan with pride.

And since we've touched on the topic, once again, a couple of lines from a dub lover's perspective:
    As much as I hate to sound like a broken record, I'll support Funimation until the end of time. They're the one company who truly go the extra mile for us dub fans. I'll gladly buy blu-rays to support them, even if they're not the best products.
    Netflix is the only other player in the industry who pretty much localizes anything they license.
    Sentai Filmworks has been on a roll recently, going back and re-releasing older series with a dub - I'm really excited to see where they go from here.
    Crunchyroll, I'm rather iffy on. I think the termination of the Funimation collab was unfortunate, but at least they came finally through with the KonoSuba dub. I really hope A Place Further Than the Universe is next.
    Aniplex is pretty bad. Most anime fans probably loathe them for their downright extortative pricing policy; those of my ilk dread them because they release most of their properties sub-only, lost forever to the dub fandom.
    Amazon, however, is just evil. As far as I'm aware, they do not release dubs for any of their shows, period. Luckily (if you can call it that), they only do streaming, so there's a small chance someone grabs the rights for the home video release and decides to localize the series.

Lastly, I'll remark that I found your look at genre prevalence quite interesting. Of course, there are still way too few romantic/relationship dramas coming out for my taste :P, but overall, I'd say I'm in a good place right now. I've especially found a number of awesome comedy series recently, including Chio's School Road, KonoSuba (although the dub arrived a good 2 years late), And You Thought There Is Never a Girl Online, and now Zombieland Saga.
Know a decent number of anime characters? Check out my forum game!

Omega
I Like Anime

Postby Omega » Tue Feb 19, 2019 10:34 pm

Just a personal comment on my own stance on MyAnimeList: I've never felt the need to use it. I keep my own list of what I've watched (which allows me to add notes and other stuff for each show), I have ANN as well as a German anime databank for numbers and facts, and I use BehindTheVoiceActors to check out a show's VAs. And yeah, I'm 100% with you regarding the reviews section (which I've only glanced at a handful of times). My biggest personal gripe, however, is that MAL lists the Japanese show titles first. That's probably being unreasonable on my end, but I'm a dub fan with pride.

Yeah, that was a portion of the conversation I checked out during, as I don't have a MAL account and have barely ever used it. I've been using the ANN encyclopedia for years and years, despite my dislike for ANN in general. The few times I have went to MAL though I have to agree (though this statement isn't limited to MAL in particular) I wish someone in the industry would decide if we're using the translated titles or the original titles, just pick one, it's way too confusing.

Otherwise, I have to agree on the discussion of genre prevalence, the anime industry needs more sci-fi/giant robot shows :P I'm not a fan of Isekai though I see that there's a solid fanbase for most of those shows that come out, so it's hard to argue about continuing to make and hype them. Though I still maintain that Escaflowne is the best Isekai series ever created.

Fullmetal-Senpai
Otaku

Postby Fullmetal-Senpai » Wed Feb 20, 2019 5:37 am

Omega wrote:

Yeah, that was a portion of the conversation I checked out during, as I don't have a MAL account and have barely ever used it. I've been using the ANN encyclopedia for years and years, despite my dislike for ANN in general. The few times I have went to MAL though I have to agree (though this statement isn't limited to MAL in particular) I wish someone in the industry would decide if we're using the translated titles or the original titles, just pick one, it's way too confusing.

Otherwise, I have to agree on the discussion of genre prevalence, the anime industry needs more sci-fi/giant robot shows :P I'm not a fan of Isekai though I see that there's a solid fanbase for most of those shows that come out, so it's hard to argue about continuing to make and hype them. Though I still maintain that Escaflowne is the best Isekai series ever created.

Space jam is the best isekai ever created.

Omega
I Like Anime

Postby Omega » Wed Feb 20, 2019 6:47 am

Space jam is the best isekai ever created.

Oh crap! You've just blown my mind!

fragoff
Anime Junky

Postby fragoff » Wed Feb 20, 2019 7:01 am

Taz and yosemite sam ftw!!!!
"Tolerance is the lube that helps slip the didlo of dysfunction into the neko of a civilized society" -Plato

kzalaz
I Like Anime

Postby kzalaz » Thu Feb 21, 2019 4:45 am

My main use for myanimelist is actually keeping track of what I am seeing, where a I left a show I want to go back. I have been looking for alternatives as I would like to see improved functionality and a better app for mobile use. Current app is pretty descent but I also use TV time which is very good but not really specialized in anime recommendations and community. Hope to see some improvements into MAL soon.

As for streaming services some countries like mine don't have much options, a lot of shows are limited, Funanimation or Amazon are not even available in Central America, I hope to see some change in this area in the future.

julianblockpunk
I Like Anime

Postby julianblockpunk » Sat Mar 09, 2019 5:09 am

A bit late to the party but this was a great podcast guys, great sweep of the landscape - kudos!

a few thoughts/comments/questions:

1. Twin Engine rocks - agree!
2. Mappa rocks - agree!
3. Noitamina rocks - agree! What do you think of the other FujiTV slot +Ultra ?
4. Hell will freeze over before you will get a BluRay release from a Netflix original anime so unfortunately your fears will be realised there. Just curious though, does it matter to you that there is no BD if the streaming/download quality is 4K/HDR with great sound ? Is it the physical collectability or the extras that are important ?
5. Totally get your point on toxicity of social media - the toilet of the Internet!
6. Great point on more direct contact with the studios and creators!
7. On Sony, I personally don't think the different parts of the Sony empire (from pictures to playstation to sony music japan that owns aniplex) talk to each other as much as you might imagine.

::hi:: :D ::yess::
::yess::

BlueSpark
I Bleed Anime

Postby BlueSpark » Sat Mar 09, 2019 6:46 am

julianblockpunk wrote:4. Hell will freeze over before you will get a BluRay release from a Netflix original anime so unfortunately your fears will be realised there. Just curious though, does it matter to you that there is no BD if the streaming/download quality is 4K/HDR with great sound ? Is it the physical collectability or the extras that are important ?
I know your question wasn't directed at me, but here's my perspective: I don't support streaming subscription models. Never have and probably never will. And since I don't care for anime merchandise such as figures, buying blu-rays or DVDs is basically my only option to support the industry. If Netflix are unwilling to put out their anime in a format that I can watch offline on my own terms, then I'm afraid they'll have to live without my money.
Know a decent number of anime characters? Check out my forum game!