Short time listener, first time caller

Let us get to know you!
Omega
I Like Anime

Short time listener, first time caller

Postby Omega » Sun Feb 17, 2019 10:34 pm

So i just discovered the Podcast this evening and I think it has a lot of promise for future listening. I'm glad to find one that talks about the anime fandom instead of one that just talks about specific shows or reviews and what not.

Also I'm an old school anime fan trying to get back to my glory days of 2001-03 (This may or may not be part of a mid-life crisis, but I guess we'll find out.) I look forward to meeting everyone and maybe making new friends even though I'm a 35 year old man, but no one needs to know that on the internet, oh wait...

I'm also glad to see phpBB is still in use after all these years (Seriously this is the first account I have made on anime forum since 2004).

fragoff
Anime Junky

Re: Short time listener, first time caller

Postby fragoff » Mon Feb 18, 2019 5:06 am

Welcome to the forum. Hope you get what you need from here and enjoy your stay.

P.s: i am surprise that, at 35, your golden age of anime is at the start of 2000, not 1990. You probably are american then?
"Tolerance is the lube that helps slip the didlo of dysfunction into the neko of a civilized society" -Plato

Fullmetal-Senpai
Otaku

Postby Fullmetal-Senpai » Mon Feb 18, 2019 7:47 am

2001, a golden age!!!! Welcome to the forums. Man I miss the 90s

Eira
Anime Junky

Postby Eira » Mon Feb 18, 2019 8:24 am

Oh wow, two new members this close together.

YO! Welcome to the forums, hope you enjoy your time here and we can get along real nice. Please feel free to go around and take part in as much discussion as you like, I know it can be a bit overwhelming to join a new forum site but I hope you like it here and stick around.

If you want there's a community watch along we do, where we vote on a show to watch and then multiple watch the show, 1 episode a day and talk about it after each episode. It's run by me and although we're in the middle of one at the moment if you want to take part please feel free, although you'll have to catch up to us. We're currently doing Gurren Laggan. If that's not to your taste then I hope you'll nominate, vote and take part in out next community watch along, there's not too long of a break between them.

You can find the community watch along pinned at the top of the anime discussion section of the forum.
Omega wrote:Also I'm an old school anime fan trying to get back to my glory days of 2001-03.

I'm also surprised that these are your glory days considering your age, but there's nothing wrong with that, it just surprises me. For the sake of discussion and getting to know you 'what are some of your favorite anime from that time and what about them makes you consider it your glory days?'
Omega wrote: I look forward to meeting everyone and maybe making new friends even though I'm a 35 year old man, but no one needs to know that on the internet, oh wait...

Haha, don't worry about that, every active member here in an adult, I can't name anyone that I know for sure in under 20. I'm one of the youngest at 21, and there's other 30 range year olds here too.
Feels silly that I even have to say this but I feel I have to. Literally everything I say is just my opinion.

MAL: https://myanimelist.net/profile/Eira_99
Feel free to add me on Discord for more chat form discussions: One True Eira#1560

Omega
I Like Anime

Postby Omega » Mon Feb 18, 2019 9:25 am

Thank you very much for the warm welcome.

In answering the golden age comments, its really a matter of finally having internet access, my own car and disposable income from my first job while still living at home/going to college part-time. Ive been watching anime, mostly on the Sci-fi Channel, since 1994.

A lot of my favorite series are from the 90s as i was really into the stuff ADV was putting out when i was able to buy my own. Evangelion, Nadesico, Gunbuster, Urusei Yatsura and Gunsmith Cats are some of my favorites, though there are a number of more recent series that i would but up there on the same level, like One Punch Man, Yuru Camp and Pop Team Epic.

BlueSpark
I Bleed Anime

Postby BlueSpark » Mon Feb 18, 2019 10:21 am

The Omega has joined us... The end is nigh, my friends!

Kidding aside, welcome to our little community :). I'm just 3 years behind you in terms of age, although I have to say I'm a much bigger fan of 'modern' (post-2005) animes. But there are other forum dwellers here who cherish the 'good old times,' so you''ll probably find some like-minded individuals.

Out of curiosity: Do you prefer to watch anime subtitled or dubbed in English? Some older shows out there are apparently beloved for their dubs, like Cowboy Bebop or Yu Yu Hakasho. I haven't seen either of those, but I'm most definitely a dub enthusiast (Even though I'm German, English localizations are my #1 preference).

Now, as dictated by tradition, I will spin my random question wheel and bestow upon you a unique problem to ponder:
What do you consider the 'ideal' length for an anime series? Feel free to answer in as much or as little detail as you like.

Lastly, perhaps you'd be inclined to take a peek at my forum game? Link's in my signature. I think it's a lot of fun, but we've been strapped for players for a while now.
Know a decent number of anime characters? Check out my forum game!

Chris
Site Co-Founder

Postby Chris » Mon Feb 18, 2019 11:47 am

Welcome

I hope you find a new home here and make lots of friends

;-)

Have fun

fragoff
Anime Junky

Postby fragoff » Mon Feb 18, 2019 5:30 pm

Omega wrote:
In answering the golden age comments, its really a matter of finally having internet access, my own car and disposable income from my first job while still living at home/going to college part-time.

Figured it was something like that. Well, now you have the tools to go back and watch all those gems you missed!

What would be your favorite genre, if you have any and what is the anime that marked you the most and why?
You did enter the animezi camp. You are getting questioned hard!
"Tolerance is the lube that helps slip the didlo of dysfunction into the neko of a civilized society" -Plato

Omega
I Like Anime

Postby Omega » Mon Feb 18, 2019 6:47 pm

Out of curiosity: Do you prefer to watch anime subtitled or dubbed in English? Some older shows out there are apparently beloved for their dubs, like Cowboy Bebop or Yu Yu Hakasho. I haven't seen either of those, but I'm most definitely a dub enthusiast (Even though I'm German, English localizations are my #1 preference).

I would say for me it depends on the series, especially older ones. Cowboy Bebop and Yu Yu Hakusho are certainly really good dubs if you get the chance to watch them. Personally, there are certainly a number of series from the late 90s (Bebop, Trigun, Dragon Ball Z in particular) that I just don't think sound right in Japanese. On the flip side, I just can't imagine shows like Urusei Yatsura, Gunbuster or Utena in English. Also, when I started collecting anime the difference between dubs and subs was a $10 markup on words appearing at the bottom of the screen, so I think that also can be attributed to my early preference to dubs (plus if you need to look away from the screen, you have more leeway if something happens or someone says something).

Nowadays the shows that I've watched I pretty much strictly stick to subs, mostly from watching them on Crunchyroll as opposed other platforms.

Ich versuche auch Deutsch zu lernen, daher habe ich vielleicht in der Zukunft Fragen, wenn Sie nichts dagegen haben.

What do you consider the 'ideal' length for an anime series? Feel free to answer in as much or as little detail as you like.

The way too easy answer is as long as the creators need to produce an interesting series, though there are plenty of instances where that answer only works if you ignore whole story lines (Majin Buu for example) or have to imagine other adventures that the cast could have went on (Luckily, that's what fanfics are for, if anyone even does those any more).

I think the more nuanced answer is that some genres benefit from allowing the story and characters to explore the world they're presented in as long was what they're doing advances the narrative or character development. Obviously, Shonen series have much more leeway to go on for a 100+ episodes where that would get boring for a slice of life series like Yuru Camp, as much as I enjoy it. Of course there are instances where the characters only have a limited amount of things to say, but the environment the creators have built up begs for a longer exploration of the world (Nausicaa or Royal Space Force: The Wings of Honnemise come to mind).

Welcome

I hope you find a new home here and make lots of friends

;-)

Have fun

I will certainly try, thank you for the warm welcome.

Well, now you have the tools to go back and watch all those gems you missed!

What would be your favorite genre, if you have any and what is the anime that marked you the most and why?
You did enter the animezi camp. You are getting questioned hard!

I'm trying, with what limited free time I have from work, mostly on the weekends.

I actually appreciate the questions. It makes me feel like I'm back in that era when discovering someone else in your class liked anime was met with a million questions as opposed to today when running into other anime fans in public barely registers beyond maybe a "Hey, cool shirt" or trading a phrase, outside of a convention at least. That's not to say I don't appreciate not having to wait three weeks for my Second generation VHS tapes from Hawaii to arrive so I can catch up on Inu-Yasha, but sometimes I feel like the anime fandom has lost that sense of community that it once had, though I have been known to be wrong in the past.

fragoff
Anime Junky

Postby fragoff » Mon Feb 18, 2019 7:34 pm

Dragonball or one piece? Lol