442) Anime Comedy

Talk about the Podcast!
Andrew
Site Admin

442) Anime Comedy

Postby Andrew » Sun Mar 03, 2019 9:02 am

Anime got you rolling on the floor laughing or shedding tears of joy? Comedy remains one of the top most genre for anime and for a good reason. Writers love making us laugh. Join the hosts as they talk about comedy and anime, and some of their favorites over the years.

Topics this episode: Tastes in Comedy, Worst Aspects of Comedy, Types of Comedy, Discussions of Favorites, and much more!

The opening for this episode is the OP for Non Non Biyori called “Nanairo Biyori” by nano.RIPE. The closing for this episode is the ED for Monthly Girls’ Nozaki-kun called “Ura Omote Fortune” by Ari Ozawa.

We hope you all enjoy!
http://otakuspirit.com/2019/03/animecast-anime-comedy/
Keep Connected to OtakuSpirit: YouTube, Facebook, iTunes, Twitter, MyAnimeList
Fate Grand Order: Tsubaki 554,837,694

BlueSpark
I Bleed Anime

Re: 442) Anime Comedy

Postby BlueSpark » Wed Mar 06, 2019 4:43 am

I wholeheartedly concur that Gamers! is a very divisive series in the comedy department, being reliant on one single element (romantic misunderstandings) which is bound to turn some people off. I happen to be on the side who loves it.
On the flipside, though, the same thing applies to Watamote. That show is completely reliant on schadenfreude for most of its laughs, and I absolutely loathe it. I get that it's completely intentional, but I couldn't derive any enjoyment from watching it.

Between crude language and ecchi-laden situations, I think there's also lewd language which can serve as a driver for comedy. An anime like Shimoneta takes its ecchi pretty far, but there are other, less sexual shows with specific characters who are all about lewd talk: Nayuta in A Sister's All You Need and Rika in Haganai are two examples of characters I loved watching every step of the way.

Since both of you are primarily subtitle watchers, I feel there's a bit of a missed opportunity here. Because I, among many other dub fans, am of the opinion that comedy is the genre which benefits the most from localization. I know sub fans will disagree, but I don't think comedy translated via subtitles works as well as jokes spelled out in a language you can understand. Of course, this is excluding physical comedy, which works either way.
Sorry if I sound like a broken record, but I'll shout this one from the mountaintops till I drop dead: Chio's School Road has the most freaking excellent comedy anime dub ever created as far as I'm concerned. When Chio ponders jumping a particularly large gap during her parcour session in episode 1, her inner monolog goes something like this: "I could take a couple steps back, get a running start, aaand end up dropping 5 feet closer to the wall." The delivery of the last part, being spoken much faster than the beginning, really sells this line. I admittedly haven't tried the subtitled version, but I don't see how it could possibly have the same effect if you don't know what exactly the individual words mean.
As a side note, I so wish Nichijou would receive an English dub, too. Everything I've heard and seen about it sounds epic.

I completely agree that KonoSuba is a riot. And I've only seen season 1 (still waiting on a dub announcement for the sequel), while the consensus seems to be that season 2 is even better. The dynamics between these 4 main characters are simply out-of-this-world amazing (and there are even great side characters such as the dullahan general).

While this isn't exactly saying much, Lucky Star is definitely my favorite parody-focused comedy. Konata cosplaying as Haruhi Suzumiya, both of whom are voiced by Wendy Lee, was priceless. Plus the beginning of episode one will always remain an unforgettable experience for me - it's one kind of comedy which absolutely cracks me up.
I will say that I hated the OP, though. Minority opinion, I suppose.

Given my rather negative stance on older animes, I thought Great Teacher Onizuka was pretty decent, too. This one had crazy reaction faces, but it's also the character of Onizuka himself which worked really well.

I've recently read a lot about how The Devil Is a Part-Timer is supposed to have a wicked strong English dub. For that reason alone, I'll probably give it a spin soon.
Know a decent number of anime characters? Check out my forum game!

fragoff
I Bleed Anime

Re: 442) Anime Comedy

Postby fragoff » Wed Mar 06, 2019 9:57 am

BlueSpark wrote:
I've recently read a lot about how The Devil Is a Part-Timer is supposed to have a wicked strong English dub. For that reason alone, I'll probably give it a spin soon.

It's good. It doesn't revolutionalize anything, but it is worth 'wasting' your time watching it. It ain't hinamatsuri, but you will have a good time.

For the topic, i believe that if you can take hensemi, then you can take any sort of 'ranchy' humor.
"Tolerance is the lube that helps slip the didlo of dysfunction into the neko of a civilized society" -Plato