Community Watch Along: Shaft Anime [Voting Phase]

Current and Classic Animation!

What Anime Should We Watch For The Shaft Anime Community Watch Along?

Poll runs till Tue Mar 19, 2019 8:58 am

Maria†Holic / 12 Episodes / Hidive
33%
Summer Storm! / 13 Episods / Crunchyroll
33%
Pani Poni Dash / 26 Episodes / Funimation
33%

Total votes: 3

Eira
Anime Junky

Postby Eira » Sun Mar 10, 2019 9:48 am

With Gurren Lagann done it's time for the next watch along, hopefully one week is enough of a break and hopefully this next show will be watched by more then past watch along's. So what can I pick to make things be a bit different from the last few? Well how about something that (of the top of my head) can't end up as a mech show, since the last two have both been those.

So let's go with a studio based watch along, I haven't done one of those yet, so let's go with Studio shaft, they got a fairly large range of shows and I haven't actually seen as many of them as I'd have liked to. So basically just pick a show where Shaft is the primary studio, pretty easy, not much for me to debate weather it counts or not.
I've decided to lift the episode count rule cause it was kinda dumb and if people wanna nominate long shows then they need to be voted for anyway, I also removed some other rules and combined others, I feel like it was way too restrictive. Still no movies, but don't worry, I have plans for movie watch along's in the future.

Rules:
1. One nomination per member, must fit the category.
2. No movies... this time.
3. Must have a legal streaming option.
4. Usual OS rules still apply, be nice and don't ruin other people’s fun, as well as not hate watching.
5. No one needs to justify their opinion, negative or positive everyone has their own taste and is allowed to voice themselves. As long as they don’t break any other rules.
Last edited by Eira on Thu Mar 14, 2019 8:58 am, edited 2 times in total.
Feels silly that I even have to say this but I feel I have to. Literally everything I say is just my opinion.

MAL: https://myanimelist.net/profile/Eira_99
Feel free to add me on Discord for more chat form discussions: One True Eira#1560

Fullmetal-Senpai
Otaku

Re: Community Watch Along: Shaft Anime [Nomination Phase]

Postby Fullmetal-Senpai » Sun Mar 10, 2019 9:59 am

Ok, please don't pick the obvious monogatari or madoka. I feel most people have seen researched and discussed those shows, Lord knows I have.

I originally wanted to nominate sayonara zetsubo Sensei as it's an underappreciated masterpiece but it's not available legally so I'll have to nominate my favorite decisive show of all time with a top tier op.

MARIA HOLIC

It's available on vrv and hidive if because.moe is to be believed

Also here's the op I mentioned.
phpBB [video]

fragoff
Anime Junky

Postby fragoff » Sun Mar 10, 2019 10:12 am

I am really split betwen Negima and natsu no arashi. I need to watch negima and i need to rewatch natsu in hope of understanding this show.

Guess i will take natsu(on crunchy), because it is the less obvious show. With a bit of luck, another one will pick the obvious negima.

Nesekoi would have been fun, but it is too recent. I do not think it deserve a trip back yet.
"Tolerance is the lube that helps slip the didlo of dysfunction into the neko of a civilized society" -Plato

BlueSpark
I Bleed Anime

Postby BlueSpark » Mon Mar 11, 2019 3:16 am

I nominate:

ef - A Tale of Memories, available on Crunchyroll

A.K.A. my favorite anime of all time, although I've seen so many superb shows in recent years that I'm not quite so sure which one I should consider my absolute #1. Anyway, this fits perfectly since I've been planning to rewatch ef for a couple of weeks now. That'll be my 6th time through the show, so it'd give me a unique angle on the watch-along for sure.

In case we do end up watching A Tale of Memories, we could add on ef - A Tale of Melodies, which is somewhere between a 2nd season and a spin-off.

fragoff wrote:With a bit of luck, another one will pick the obvious negima.
I'd honestly have to take a pass on Negima if it were to win the vote. I rewatched it - both versions, actually - rather recently, and I couldn't be bothered going through it again so soon. Nisekoi, on the other hand, I'd be fine with.
Know a decent number of anime characters? Check out my forum game!

Eira
Anime Junky

Postby Eira » Wed Mar 13, 2019 10:05 pm

BlueSpark wrote:I nominate:ef - A Tale of Memories, available on Crunchyroll

I should of checked this earlier instead of waiting till when wanted to make the poll but this has never been an issue before. This has since been removed from crunchyroll and as far as I can tell has no legal streaming option. I'll give you a day to make a new nomination if you want and I know most people don't care about this but it is a rule and I promise I won't watch if I can't do it legally.
Feels silly that I even have to say this but I feel I have to. Literally everything I say is just my opinion.

Feel free to add me on Discord for more chat form discussions: One True Eira#1560

BlueSpark
I Bleed Anime

Postby BlueSpark » Thu Mar 14, 2019 2:56 am

Well, that's a bummer.

I'd love to watch March Comes in Like a Lion, but the 2nd half of the season 2 English dub won't be available until sometime in April (I don't recall the exact date).
As I said, a Nisekoi rewatch would've been an option for me.

However, upon browsing Shaft's catalog, I found another show whose title I recognized and which looks like fun:

Pani Poni Dash, ostensibly available on Funimation

Looks a lot like Azumanga Daioh and similar wacky cute-girls comedies.
Know a decent number of anime characters? Check out my forum game!

Eira
Anime Junky

Postby Eira » Thu Mar 14, 2019 8:56 am

Alright, with that out of the way we’re all good to get to voting. In the future I’ll check all recommendations as soon as they’re submitted instead of at a later date, I like to keep these running smoothly and with some kind of air of professionalism, so sorry for the delay.

Thank you all for your nominations. The options for the shaft anime community watch along are as follows:

Maria†Holic / 12 Episodes / Hidive

Summer Storm! / 13 Episods / Crunchyroll

Pani Poni Dash / 26 Episodes / Funimation

Finally enough they were all going to be 1 cours before the re-nominate had to happen. And even with the update it’s again a line up of shows that all have sequels, so that’ll be something to keep in mind whenever we begin to reach the conclusion of this watch along.

Now get voting, I’ll have the vote last for 5 days so make sure you cast your vote in time.

Fullmetal-Senpai
Otaku

Re: Community Watch Along: Shaft Anime [Voting Phase]

Postby Fullmetal-Senpai » Fri Mar 15, 2019 8:52 pm

3 way tie, who's gonna break this debacle

fragoff
Anime Junky

Postby fragoff » Sat Mar 16, 2019 7:13 am

It's obvious that without a gentleman rule of no vote for its own church, this is an issue.
"Tolerance is the lube that helps slip the didlo of dysfunction into the neko of a civilized society" -Plato

Eira
Anime Junky

Postby Eira » Sat Mar 16, 2019 10:34 am

fragoff wrote:It's obvious that without a gentleman rule of no vote for its own church, this is an issue.

It's not an issue as I obviously haven't voted. I will but I always like to wait till near the end to make my vote. I just don't wanna be the one to break the tie because it'll be obvious that I'm the one doing it.