448) Winter 2019 Anime Season Review Part 1

Talk about the Podcast!
Andrew
Site Admin

448) Winter 2019 Anime Season Review Part 1

Postby Andrew » Sun Mar 31, 2019 10:15 am

The Winter 2019 Anime Season is wrapping up and the hosts are plugged in to give their take on what succeeded and what failed. Listen in and get their opinions on the season.

Anime Reviewed in this Episode: The Price of Smiles, The Promised Neverland, Domestic Girlfriend, Kemurikusa, Boogiepop and Others, Mysteria Friends, How Clumsy You Are Miss Ueno, and Run With The Wind.

The opening song for this episode is the OP for The Promised Neverland called “Touch Off” by UVERworld. The closing song for this episode is the ED for Boogiepop and Others called “Whiteout” by Riko Azuna.

We hope you all enjoy!
http://otakuspirit.com/2019/03/animecas ... ew-part-1/
Keep Connected to OtakuSpirit: YouTube, Facebook, iTunes, Twitter, MyAnimeList
Fate Grand Order: Tsubaki 554,837,694

BlueSpark
I Bleed Anime

Re: 448) Winter 2019 Anime Season Review Part 1

Postby BlueSpark » Wed Apr 03, 2019 3:31 am

I'm so envious of everyone who got to watch Domestic Girlfriend. Perhaps I should consider the fact that it has an annoying open ending a blessing in disguise, but I still want to see it :/.

The good thing is: Sentai Filmworks has really stepped up their game in appeasing dub fans lately. Just yesterday, they announced a localized release of My Teen Romantic Comedy SNAFU, while To Love-Ru and Kampfer have been announced a while ago. Plus there are titles like Scum's Wish and Just Because! which gave gotten a dubbed physical release after a long-ish waiting time. So I'm decently hopeful that I'll be able to watch Domestic Girlfriend in English eventually.

Miss Ueno sounds like such a fascinating mess that I'd love to see it with my own eyes. Much like Opantsu, since this is a short, I might actually take a glance at the Japanese version, just to see what it's all about.
Know a decent number of anime characters? Check out my forum game!

Panino
I Like Anime

Re: 448) Winter 2019 Anime Season Review Part 1

Postby Panino » Thu Apr 04, 2019 11:34 am

I want to write about Kemurikusa because I believe it was poorly sold here.

There's these "Sisters" that clearly aren't human in a deserted island surrounded by fog. When the fog is red is dangerous because it looks corrosive and brings "red bugs". Mechanical living things that otherwise are not dangerous.
The sisters find the last water in the island that allows them to live a bit more. They live only on water and while collecting this water in a thank a boy called Wakaba suddenly appears like he was born from the water. The sisters aren't unsure what to do about him, but in the end they are convinced by his childlike curiosity and naivety to don't give up yet and die and go on a last tour outside the island.

It's like road story.

A few things that I half disagree, half were neglected by the cast.
The animation is actually good. At first glance it may look cheap and bad. It's cheap, but not bad. It must be said that the animation is directed like it exists in a 3D space. Many 3D anime fail hard like this, Kemono Friends 2 is a huge example. Despite also being 3D with 2D backgrounds you can easily notice that the scenes are thought as if the animation was completely 2D, on a 2D plane. Kemurikusa isn't like that at all, the scenes makes sense in a 3D space (except when it takes intentional liberties like any other animation), with varied camera angles.
Also, it's full of character.
That's the magic of Tatsuki and Isa, everything have character. The characters move differently from each other, it reflects their personalities. And there's a lot of little details here and there that are overlooked if you're not paying attention. There's character interaction in the background that are even relevant. Ritsu and Rina does something in the last episode and you could see the two discussing this in the background during episode 10. There's a lot of animation what "weren't necessary" that are there and add a lot.
Other thing that it's worth mention is the background art.
It's good, very good.
It creates the mood so well, and convey a lot of information also. I say that the backgrounds here are better then Houseki no Kuni because of this, it is used more to convey information. And it's pretty looking, another plus.

About the mysteries...
They are good mysteries because they aren't really mysteries, maybe? It's just information that you don't know yet, and at the end you know almost everything relevant to the story. Everything is there and makes sense, everything is reveled in a natural way, what makes it so good for some is that the story don't try to explain anything that you could understood for yourself.
And in the end it's not important.
When you see Ritsu crying in episode 7 you have to understand that the mysteries and "the mission" don't matter. What matter is the well-being of the character and what they do for each other.

Tatsuke released the episode 12.1 yesterday on Twitter and it was a huge success.

And you guys should consider allowing other mail domains for registration, at least allow vivaldi.net!