What's Up Everyone

Let us get to know you!
Visick
I Like Anime

What's Up Everyone

Postby Visick » Tue Feb 04, 2020 1:30 pm

Hey guys, newish anime fan here. I've watched some anime throughout the years, but didn't really start making it a hobby till around the beginning of 2019. I'm a big podcast listener so once I made it a hobby I went and searched for podcasts that talked about it. Found this one and one other. I'm a big movie person, so most of my anime watching experience comes through movies, and I haven't seen as many tv series. I'm mostly a lurker when it comes to social media so I may not be very active in terms of commenting or making posts, but I'll probably be reading most posts. I've seen some other introduction posts and they lists some favorites of theirs so I'll give that a shot here...

Some favorite movies would be End of Evangelion, Perfect Blue, Paprika, Night is Short, Walk on Girl, My Neighbor Totoro, and probably a couple others I can't think of at the moment

Some favorite tv series would be FMA: Brotherhood, A Place Further than the Universe, Love is War, Neon Genesis Evangelion, and also some others I can't think of at the moment

I'm also a reader so I gave some manga a shot. Read Uzumaki (loved it), about halfway through Full Metal Alchemist, and first book of Monster

As you may be able to tell from my favorites and what I've read I have gotten most of my recommendations just by googling, "best _______". Looking forward to getting more recommendations through the podcast and through the forum! Everyone seems very welcoming and nice so far and the podcast obviously comes across like that as well. Cheers!

Visick
I Like Anime

Re: What's Up Everyone

Postby Visick » Tue Feb 04, 2020 1:31 pm

Oh also I have a MAL, but I'm not great about updating it at all. But here's that at least....

https://myanimelist.net/profile/CastleOfAaargh

Sierraシエラ
I Love Anime

Postby Sierraシエラ » Tue Feb 04, 2020 4:09 pm

Welcome!
I am newer to anime too, only watching it regularly for about 3 years. Do you watch anime seasonally or do you watch completed shows so you can binge? If you watch seasonally, what are you watching now? (you can also post your answer on the for called 'what are you watching' or the seasonal section)

This is my mal but it isn't very accurate either https://myanimelist.net/profile/Sierra2016

Eira
I Bleed Anime

Postby Eira » Tue Feb 04, 2020 10:24 pm

Visick wrote:Hey guys, newish anime fan here. I've watched some anime throughout the years, but didn't really start making it a hobby till around the beginning of 2019. [...] I'm a big movie person, so most of my anime watching experience comes through movies, and I haven't seen as many tv series.

Welcome to the fourm, hope you enjoy your time here. You have quite an interesting perspective, I don't think I've ever met someone who - when it comes to anime - has seen more movies then TV shows, you should bring an interesting new perspective to the community then.
Visick wrote:I'm mostly a lurker when it comes to social media so I may not be very active in terms of commenting or making posts, but I'll probably be reading most posts. I've seen some other introduction posts

then you've probably seen what I usually say but just so in case I'm the community manager, so if you have any questions or concerns you can feel free to direct them towards me. I'm not an admin or anything tho really, I can't bad people so don't treat me any different, in the end I'm just another member.
Visick wrote:Some favorite movies would be End of Evangelion, Perfect Blue, Paprika, Night is Short, Walk on Girl, My Neighbor Totoro, and probably a couple others I can't think of at the moment

I've seen End of Evangelion, it was pretty good, I did enjoy it but I don't think I'd have it as high as you do. I haven't seen 'Night is short walk on girl' but I really want to at some point, I love me some Masaaki Yuasa. I've seen Totoro but I personally wasn't able to enjoy it very much cause it doesn't have much of a plot, it was fine.

Some of my favorite anime movies are: Laputa: Castle in the Sky & A Silent Voice. I love other anime movies too but most of them come after series that you also need to see in order to enjoy them so I won't list them for now.
Visick wrote:Some favorite tv series would be FMA: Brotherhood, A Place Further than the Universe, Love is War, Neon Genesis Evangelion, and also some others I can't think of at the moment

Mad respect for the 'A Place Further than the Universe' love, one of my favorite anime of all time, absolutely loved so much about it. I'm not sure how old it is but there's a thread in the anime section of this site about anime that made you cry and I have a big post there about how much APFttU destroyed me. Love is War is pretty good, not of my favorites but I did really enjoy it. And mad respect for Evangelion as well, the show was once in my top 10, it's not anymore but it's still an S tier show for sure.
Everything I say is in relation to me, objectivity doesn't exist.

MAL: https://myanimelist.net/profile/Eira_99
Feel free to add me on Discord for more chat form discussions: One True Eira#1560

Visick
I Like Anime

Postby Visick » Wed Feb 05, 2020 12:58 pm

Sierraシエラ wrote:Welcome!
I am newer to anime too, only watching it regularly for about 3 years. Do you watch anime seasonally or do you watch completed shows so you can binge? If you watch seasonally, what are you watching now? (you can also post your answer on the for called 'what are you watching' or the seasonal section)

This is my mal but it isn't very accurate either https://myanimelist.net/profile/Sierra2016

Usually a combination of both. But right now I'm only watching 1 seasonal anime (Keep Your Hands Off Eizouken) and binging nothing. Just moved so life is a little more hectic at the moment. I'll probably go check out that forum thread now!

Fullmetal-Senpai
Otaku

Postby Fullmetal-Senpai » Wed Feb 05, 2020 1:10 pm

Look at all the we babies watching anime. Welcome to the forums.

Visick
I Like Anime

Postby Visick » Wed Feb 05, 2020 1:32 pm

Eira wrote:Welcome to the fourm, hope you enjoy your time here. You have quite an interesting perspective, I don't think I've ever met someone who - when it comes to anime - has seen more movies then TV shows, you should bring an interesting new perspective to the community then.

That's good to know! Yeah around 2012 I started really loving movies so I watched all the movies I could, classics and modern movies. That branched out to anime sometimes. Part of the reason I've begun to watch more anime series

Eira wrote:I've seen End of Evangelion, it was pretty good, I did enjoy it but I don't think I'd have it as high as you do. I haven't seen 'Night is short walk on girl' but I really want to at some point, I love me some Masaaki Yuasa. I've seen Totoro but I personally wasn't able to enjoy it very much cause it doesn't have much of a plot, it was fine.

Some of my favorite anime movies are: Laputa: Castle in the Sky & A Silent Voice. I love other anime movies too but most of them come after series that you also need to see in order to enjoy them so I won't list them for now.

Yeah for me the lack of a central plot was great. I loved the more chill vibe of it all. But to each their own. Castle in the Sky is great! I know it's cliche to say, but Ghibli is fantastic. And A Silent Voice is one of those movies I love the concept of, but it didn't work as well for me when I watched it. I plan on reading the manga to see if that helps me get over what I struggled with

Eira wrote:Mad respect for the 'A Place Further than the Universe' love, one of my favorite anime of all time, absolutely loved so much about it. I'm not sure how old it is but there's a thread in the anime section of this site about anime that made you cry and I have a big post there about how much APFttU destroyed me. Love is War is pretty good, not of my favorites but I did really enjoy it. And mad respect for Evangelion as well, the show was once in my top 10, it's not anymore but it's still an S tier show for sure.

I'll have to check out that thread, because I'm not a super emotional person, like maybe once or twice a year do I tear up, but APFttU do that for me. Super powerful for me

Visick
I Like Anime

Postby Visick » Wed Feb 05, 2020 1:33 pm

Fullmetal-Senpai wrote:Look at all the we babies watching anime. Welcome to the forums.

Thanks! Looking forward to learning a lot from those who know more about it

Fullmetal-Senpai
Otaku

Postby Fullmetal-Senpai » Wed Feb 05, 2020 1:43 pm

I don't really post a lot here, don't let my post count fool you. Best way to get ahold of me is probably the discord. That being said if something interests me i will pop in and see how far i can go

BlueSpark
Otaku

Postby BlueSpark » Thu Feb 06, 2020 8:03 am

Guess I'm a bit later to the welcoming party than usual. Oh well, me let extent my greetings nonetheless: Hi there ;)!

I completely agree with Eira that having a fan of primarily movies instead of series is bound to be quite interesting. I'm much more of a series watcher, but I suppose I have a decent number of anime movies under my belt. When it comes to live-action movies, I'm absolutely horrible, though :P.

Anime-wise, my top favorite movies are Your Name, Wolf Children, The Disappearance of Haruhi Suzumiya, and When Marnie Was There.
I generally love the works of Mamoru Hosoda.
Ghibli movies are usually very solid, but I don't hold them to the high standard that many other fans do. When Marnie Was There is an exception because it spoke to me on a personal level.
As for Makoto Shinkai, ironically, I didn't enjoy his older films much (still watched all (?) 5 of them), but Your Name absolutely stunned me.
Unfortunately, Satoshi Kon's style doesn't really jive with me. I have watched Perfect Blue and Paprika, but was unimpressed, and now I'm not sure if I should bother with the newly dubbed Millenium Actress and Tokyo Godfathers.

A couple of anime movies without famous staff listings that I enjoyed are:
- Patema Inverted
- Aura - Koga Maryuin's Last War
- Anthem of the Heart
- Psychic School Wars

I'd love to recommend some anime series to you, but to that end, I'd really need to know your preferences (genre- and style-wise) better. I don't believe in 'classics' or universal 'masterpieces'; in my opinion, recommendations should consider the other person's tastes as much as possible.

As always, it'd be great for us to hear a little bit about yourself as a new member to get a rough grasp on the kind of person you are. As long as you're comfortable telling us: How old are you? Male or female? Are you in education or employment? What are your other hobbies outside of Japanese animation? And is there anything in particular that drew you to anime?

As an added bonus, here's a related question dispensed by BlueSpark's random-question generator: Would you say the general anime artstyle is more appealing than that of western cartoons? Are there certain genres or types of stories it specifically lends itself to, in your opinion?
Know a decent number of anime characters? Check out my forum game!