How do you choose what anime to watch?

Current and Classic Animation!
Ukkihsog
I Like Anime

How do you choose what anime to watch?

Postby Ukkihsog » Wed Feb 05, 2020 6:22 am

From get go sorry if i misspel some words cuz sometimes i dont notice even if i reread what i write and notice next day etc.

I tryed check search but didn't picked anything similar i didnt spend much time checking results because search pick range is too broad. ::dread::

First why i'm asking:
Involved person Eira(shadow puppeteer)

Forum post url
Eira wrote:Also I don't know where you got the idea that this show was a hidden gem, I assume you don't spend much time interacting with the anime community online or consuming anime content from youtubers and podcasts, minus OS of course. It's 6th most popular of this season on MAL and second highest based on score, plus it's by a very famous director and even people who don't normally watch anime or watching it, so you don’t have to worry, it's a very present gem, not hidden at all. :D

I never consider checking VA, directors, from what it was adapted before seasons starts. I only focus on description and trailer. Thats why for me Keep Your Hands Off Eizouken! looked like super duper hidden charm i'm ofter checking r/animememes r/anime r/lightnovels and a lot more anime related reddit groups but i didn't saw many post(in total i saw 2-3). compared to another seasonal animes like darvin game, Kyokou Suiri, Itai no wa Iya nano de Bougyoryoku ni Kyokufuri Shinji to Omoimasu(this one was boming in weeb comunity), Somali, Rikei ga Koi ni Ochita no de Shoumei Shinji Mita, Infinite Dendrogram, Isekai Quartet 2 etc. you get the picture

Thats why i'm interested what criteria you using to find animes to watch.
For example in a mood for horror but by what you will choose there might be some good at mal with rating 8++ but that wont tuck your heartstrings when anime rated 6.8 or 7.15 would

For me for example if its seasonal i ussualy give them at least 3 episodes to prove they have to be watched.
But for others i base it on few aspects:
  1. mood
    for example i had i good day i would watch something darker T.T please don't ask why...
    If i had hard day it will definetely be slice of life/comedy/iyashikei
  2. if i drop(put on hold) to many animes and everything started to feel plain
    i rewatch old anime which i enjoyed example Alien nine MKNR overlord etc i'm rewatching anime a lot maybe a bit to much.
  3. i saw or read or heard something
    One of suck occurences were for anime astro lost in space i didnt even considered watching it but messages(compliments to anime) i got from podcast were telling me either watch it or die so i choose a latter option and it was superb the first thing i did after watching it was writing t.y. message to cris and andrew for that amzing review which forced me to watch that amazing anime(i even had to recover my dead twitter account which i dont use...)! thats why i enjoy lisening to theyre podcast because no matter how good anime is rated i don't pick it if i dont see meaning in it!

How everyone else are coming with these situations?

Fullmetal-Senpai
Otaku

Re: How do you choose what anime to watch?

Postby Fullmetal-Senpai » Wed Feb 05, 2020 1:12 pm

I only watch stuff recommended to me by my discord. I feel like I've seen pretty much everything i want to and don't want to spend the time looking for others

Ukkihsog
I Like Anime

Postby Ukkihsog » Wed Feb 05, 2020 3:24 pm

Fullmetal-Senpai wrote:I feel like I've seen pretty much everything i want to and don't want to spend the time looking for others

What do you mean by "I feel like I've seen pretty much everything i want to"?

Fullmetal-Senpai
Otaku

Postby Fullmetal-Senpai » Wed Feb 05, 2020 5:22 pm

Ukkihsog wrote:
Fullmetal-Senpai wrote:I feel like I've seen pretty much everything i want to and don't want to spend the time looking for others

Pretty simple, on the curve i find most anime is just an excuse to persue tropes. Sadly I'm burnt out on the "generic anime style." It got so bad that I don't watch anything that isn't recommended specifically to me by my friends

Ukkihsog
I Like Anime

Postby Ukkihsog » Wed Feb 05, 2020 5:31 pm

Fullmetal-Senpai wrote:
Ukkihsog wrote:

Pretty simple, on the curve i find most anime is just an excuse to persue tropes. Sadly I'm burnt out on the "generic anime style." It got so bad that I don't watch anything that isn't recommended specifically to me by my friends

I had this exact same problem. Thats why i started reading novels which fixed this issue for me. Currently it's hard to adjust my time between life/reading/anime/nolifing/sleeping
Sleeping suffers most T.T
After fixing this problem even the animes ppl call bad/generic/boring are good for me. As long as its not novel adaption to anime which 50% cases worse than novel itself which makes me frustrated. ::dread::.
Thats why i don't care if anime rated bad or have crappy director i want to see that crappy mess and judge with my own eyes and if i don't like it i just have to drop it ::hi:: thats why i don't mind watching 20 animes at the start of season because there is huge chance it will become 10 by the end. In most cases i only drop about 10-20% of them

Fullmetal-Senpai
Otaku

Postby Fullmetal-Senpai » Wed Feb 05, 2020 5:44 pm

Ukkihsog wrote:
Fullmetal-Senpai wrote:
Ukkihsog wrote:

I had this exact same problem. Thats why i started reading novels which fixed this issue for me. Currently it's hard to adjust my time between life/reading/anime/nolifing/sleeping
Sleeping suffers most T.T
After fixing this problem even the animes ppl call bad/generic/boring are good for me. As long as its not novel adaption to anime which 50% cases worse than novel itself which makes me frustrated. ::dread::.
Thats why i don't care if anime rated bad or have crappy director i want to see that crappy mess and judge with my own eyes and if i don't like it i just have to drop it ::hi:: thats why i don't mind watching 20 animes at the start of season because there is huge chance it will become 10 by the end. In most cases i only drop about 10-20% of them

Meh I've been watching over 20 years. It's not shocking to me that i don't enjoy much. Most stuff is flat out not made for me anymore

Ukkihsog
I Like Anime

Postby Ukkihsog » Wed Feb 05, 2020 6:23 pm

Fullmetal-Senpai wrote:Meh I've been watching over 20 years. It's not shocking to me that i don't enjoy much. Most stuff is flat out not made for me anymore

Over 20 years wow thats a lot if it's not a secret how old are you?

Fullmetal-Senpai
Otaku

Postby Fullmetal-Senpai » Wed Feb 05, 2020 6:26 pm

Ukkihsog wrote:
Fullmetal-Senpai wrote:Meh I've been watching over 20 years. It's not shocking to me that i don't enjoy much. Most stuff is flat out not made for me anymore

Over 20 years wow thats a lot if it's not a secret how old are you?

27. I got in about as early as you could in America

Ukkihsog
I Like Anime

Postby Ukkihsog » Wed Feb 05, 2020 6:32 pm

But thats doesn't really counts as getting into. For example my country started showing dragon ball/Rurouni Kenshin etc in tv before i went to school and like all another kids i was eager to see new episodes but that i wouldn't call watching anime. Commend me if im wrong but i dont think that is the age where person can say that hes into anime i would agree if it was from 13-14 and higher.

Fullmetal-Senpai
Otaku

Postby Fullmetal-Senpai » Wed Feb 05, 2020 6:36 pm

Ukkihsog wrote:But thats doesn't really counts as getting into. For example my country started showing dragon ball/Rurouni Kenshin etc in tv before i went to school and like all another kids i was eager to see new episodes but that i wouldn't call watching anime. Commend me if im wrong but i dont think that is the age where person can say that hes into anime i would agree if it was from 13-14 and higher.

Absolutely not. My favorite series growing up were Pokemon, dragon ball z, Digimon, saint seiya and others. Now if i had stopped watching you might have a point but would you say a kid living in Japan isn't watching anime when he watches doraimon?