Visual Novels

Gamers paradise!
User avatar
Logan
Super NEET IV
Posts: 6623
Joined: Sun Oct 19, 2014 1:51 pm
Location: Seattle, WA
Contact:

Re: Visual Novels

Postby Logan » Thu Jun 30, 2016 9:26 pm

DieSchlachten wrote:
Neko wrote:
DieSchlachten wrote:It finally happened!

In a Valentine's Day Special, a friend and I play our first anime visual novel game.... now we have seen some things or at least a harem of cat girls.

https://youtu.be/l6ftIfw60-U


So that's a VN, huh? ::pfft::


At least that what it tries to be


Nekopara is a linear visual novel just one of many types of visual novels :) I for one, enjoyed the game and what it had to offer :)

User avatar
DieSchlachten
I Bleed Anime
Posts: 1245
Joined: Mon May 18, 2015 6:59 pm
Location: Toronto, Ontario
Contact:

Re: Visual Novels

Postby DieSchlachten » Thu Jun 30, 2016 11:07 pm

Logan wrote:
DieSchlachten wrote:
Neko wrote:
DieSchlachten wrote:It finally happened!

In a Valentine's Day Special, a friend and I play our first anime visual novel game.... now we have seen some things or at least a harem of cat girls.

https://youtu.be/l6ftIfw60-U


So that's a VN, huh? ::pfft::


At least that what it tries to be


Nekopara is a linear visual novel just one of many types of visual novels :) I for one, enjoyed the game and what it had to offer :)


Well that one was a fan made one of the game... yeah it happened.
I can say happily that an ever better game for Moosen Spiel is being played. Oh god is it a game. haha
Image
Too-too-roo!
"We'll do some culture afterwards" -Macross (1982 Ep 36)

User avatar
michelous
Anime Junky
Posts: 680
Joined: Mon Aug 25, 2014 1:30 pm

Re: Visual Novels

Postby michelous » Sun Aug 14, 2016 5:19 am

manga gamer has been announcing some very good games lately
Hapymaher https://vndb.org/v10957
A Kiss for the Petals - The New Generation! https://vndb.org/v16262
Sorcery Jokers https://vndb.org/v16337
Shiei no Sona-Nyl -What a Beautiful Memories- https://vndb.org/v4936
and the big one from otakacon Rance 5D - Hitoribocchi no Onna no Ko - https://vndb.org/v2046
ax was Maggot Baits https://vndb.org/v18077
Trinoline https://vndb.org/v19644
D.S. -Dal Segno- https://vndb.org/v17742
Fashioning Little Miss Lonesome https://vndb.org/v18690
Naked Butler https://vndb.org/v4107
If You Love Me, Then Say So! https://vndb.org/v17376
here is the rest this year Imouto Paradise! 2 https://vndb.org/v11920
The Shadows of Pygmalion https://vndb.org/v12072
Princess Evangile W Happiness https://vndb.org/v8900
Himawari https://vndb.org/v210
Kuroinu ~Kedakaki Seijo wa Hakudaku ni Somaru~ https://vndb.org/v3706
Myth https://vndb.org/v1056
Bokuten – Why I Became an Angel https://vndb.org/v10804
D.C. III ~Da Capo III~ https://vndb.org/v6438
The House in Fata Morgana: A Requiem for Innocence https://vndb.org/v18397
Funbag Fantasy https://vndb.org/v2762
Critical Hit https://vndb.org/v19837
Supipara - Alice the magical conductor. Chapter #01 - Spring Has Come! https://vndb.org/v6700
No One But You https://vndb.org/v17564

User avatar
Crash Kamio
Anime Junky
Posts: 656
Joined: Thu May 12, 2016 8:11 am

Re: Visual Novels

Postby Crash Kamio » Thu Jun 07, 2018 10:34 am

So it's been awhile since I've played any (mainly since my computer which I played them on can't connect to the internet anymore) but when I was playing, I played an unholy amount of Doki Doki Literature Club. I wasnt expecting much going into it honestly but I was floored. Never has a game gotten such physical reactions from me (and still does), that warning in the beginning of the game is no joke.

Three major spoilers
Spoiler:
Sayoris suicide scene was incredibly impactful. Theres a huge noise when you find her, it made my head hot, I got shakey, and not gonna lie, I almost got sick. It was so visceral. I couldn't sleep well for a week. Then you find out later when its revealed Monika was behind everything, she gives you details on her suicide. Apparently she botched it and instead of an instant death it was slow and painful, and Monika tells you if you looked at her closely yo6 can see her fingers are bloodied from clawing at the rope trying to free herself. Messed up stuff. It's those little details that only adds to the impact of that part.

Yuri's suicide while impactful didnt get the reaction Sayoris did. It was messed up, but it added weight to what came after. The game being "broken" lead to you being with her corpse all weekend. Natsukis reaction was raw, seeing Monikas nonchalance about it was an indicator something was up.


Sure the game is a bit flawed, the first run through certainly gets overly mundane. But theres some little details sprinkled throughout that make a second playthrough more impactful.

Character personality spoilers
Spoiler:
Mainly Sayori being depressed, you see the indicators in her text, mannerisms and actions that subtly point to it. If you're someone hiding the fact you're depressed it can be quite profound. You see little tidbits that show Natsuki is abused by her father, and that Yuri is aroused by knives. If you take her route all game you can see it. Especially in you guys getting ready for the festival. When you accidentally cut yourself you leave to clean it up, and I believe theres a moment that shows she was surprised by you coming back. Indicating she was cutting herself. But I digress, all these make a second playthrough not only more impactful, but enjoyable because it allows you to enjoy the calm before the insanity.


Anyway, other games I started and need to finish are Higurashi which is fun, and Harmonia a key visual novel. I do like Key a lot. Cant wait to see what this one is about. I also have Plantatarian, and Little Busters which I need to start.

User avatar
michelous
Anime Junky
Posts: 680
Joined: Mon Aug 25, 2014 1:30 pm

Re: Visual Novels

Postby michelous » Thu Jun 07, 2018 10:38 am

Just started majikoi

User avatar
BlueSpark
I Bleed Anime
Posts: 1115
Joined: Thu Mar 02, 2017 11:23 am
Location: Germany

Re: Visual Novels

Postby BlueSpark » Thu Jun 14, 2018 8:56 am

Crash Kamio wrote:I wasnt expecting much going into it honestly but I was floored. Never has a game gotten such physical reactions from me (and still does), that warning in the beginning of the game is no joke.
This description has piqued my interest. At some point last year, I read about how Hatoful Boyfriend supposedly had a mind-blowing plot twist in its true route (or something along those lines), which led me to give it a try. However, I ended up refunding the game on Steam after 20 minutes; it just felt like a terrible drag to me. Minigames, stat increases and very mundane writing made for an experience that embodies the things I don't enjoy in a VN.

Would you say Doki Doki is entertaining enough to read through before you get to the really impactful part(s)? Particularly for someone like me who appreciates the (in my perception) high-class writing style in, say, Sekai Project's translations (e.g. The Fruit of Grisaia)?
Image
Know a decent number of anime characters? Check out my forum game!

User avatar
DestroyerGX
I Bleed Anime
Posts: 1145
Joined: Mon Aug 04, 2014 9:27 am

Re: Visual Novels

Postby DestroyerGX » Thu Jun 14, 2018 4:03 pm

Crash Kamio wrote:Anyway, other games I started and need to finish are Higurashi which is fun, and Harmonia a key visual novel. I do like Key a lot. Cant wait to see what this one is about. I also have Plantatarian, and Little Busters which I need to start.


Little Busters! was a blast. I played it full twice, and I still broke down in tears, particularly the Refrain! route. Overall, I think this was a bit better than the anime, despite the rather average or even poor quality of each of the girls' arcs, because Refrain! more than made up for them.
Image

User avatar
Fullmetal-Senpai
Otaku
Posts: 1677
Joined: Fri Jun 12, 2015 8:13 am
Location: USA
Contact:

Re: Visual Novels

Postby Fullmetal-Senpai » Fri Jun 15, 2018 5:24 am

Crash Kamio wrote:Anyway, other games I started and need to finish are Higurashi which is fun, and Harmonia a key visual novel. I do like Key a lot. Cant wait to see what this one is about. I also have Plantatarian, and Little Busters which I need to start.

Somehow I don't see fate s/n so we can talk heavens feel and Saya no uta so we can talk Lovecraftian horrors.

User avatar
Crash Kamio
Anime Junky
Posts: 656
Joined: Thu May 12, 2016 8:11 am

Re: Visual Novels

Postby Crash Kamio » Fri Jun 15, 2018 11:01 am

Fullmetal-Senpai wrote:Somehow I don't see fate s/n so we can talk heavens feel and Saya no uta so we can talk Lovecraftian horrors.

Thanks for the reminder to get on those! I need Saya no Uta and Fate. Just need a functioning computer first. YAAAAAYYYYYYYYYY!

DestroyerGX wrote:Little Busters! was a blast. I played it full twice, and I still broke down in tears, particularly the Refrain! route. Overall, I think this was a bit better than the anime, despite the rather average or even poor quality of each of the girls' arcs, because Refrain! more than made up for them.

Ohhh better then the anime? I think kinda highly of the anime. Great show, cant wait to see it in novel form.

Bluespark wrote:This description has piqued my interest. At some point last year, I read about how Hatoful Boyfriend supposedly had a mind-blowing plot twist in its true route (or something along those lines), which led me to give it a try. However, I ended up refunding the game on Steam after 20 minutes; it just felt like a terrible drag to me. Minigames, stat increases and very mundane writing made for an experience that embodies the things I don't enjoy in a VN.

Would you say Doki Doki is entertaining enough to read through before you get to the really impactful part(s)? Particularly for someone like me who appreciates the (in my perception) high-class writing style in, say, Sekai Project's translations (e.g. The Fruit of Grisaia)?


Honestly it depends on how much you can bear simplistic, cute, moe characters. I found the character interactions fun, but nothing ground breaking. But I have way too much fun with characters like that sometimes. Simple and moe. It wasnt until the second half where you see the subtleties of their writing and that they have personality beyond, I'm cute. Whether it's as high class as something like Grisaia I can't say. I have yet to play it and based on the botched anime I cant give a good comparison. Thanks for reminding me of that game though!

User avatar
Fullmetal-Senpai
Otaku
Posts: 1677
Joined: Fri Jun 12, 2015 8:13 am
Location: USA
Contact:

Re: Visual Novels

Postby Fullmetal-Senpai » Fri Jun 15, 2018 1:49 pm

Crash Kamio wrote:
Fullmetal-Senpai wrote:Somehow I don't see fate s/n so we can talk heavens feel and Saya no uta so we can talk Lovecraftian horrors.

Thanks for the reminder to get on those! I need Saya no Uta and Fate. Just need a functioning computer first. YAAAAAYYYYYYYYYY!


Can still make that happen my guy I'm just a state away.