What anime are you watching?

Current and Classic Animation!
BlueSpark
Anime Junky

Re: What anime are you watching?

Postby BlueSpark » Mon May 07, 2018 1:59 am

2nd time watching Date a Live for some pure harem & action madness. Kurumi is such a seductive psycho chick... Origami OVA is still best episode, though :>. Come to think of it, both OVAs sort of overshadowed the actual series for me - that's pretty rare.

Then I moved on to the next show: Planetes was quite an oddball for me. I don't even remember where, but I read a hearty recommendation for it which led me to give it a shot even though I don't generally care for animes set in space. At least the genre tags seemed to match my preferences.

3 episodes in, however, I was almost about to throw in the towel; another series with a strongly episodic format. I actually looked up 2 reviews on it just to confirm that it would turn into a coherent narrative eventually. And sure enough, it did. The story ended up being quite compelling. The romance aspect wasn't as pronounced as I'd hoped, but it reached roughly Eurkea Seven levels, which is fine by me.

Both fortunately and sadly, Nono reminded me a lot of Hanamaru in Love Live! Sunshine - in her introductory episode, I found her to be one amazing character (not to mention she was played by Lara Jill Miller; hearing her voice in anime is a rare treat). And yet, despite her making further appearances later on, she felt woefully underused. At least she got one more moment to shine in the penultimate (I believe) episode.

Oh, and that moment towards the end of the show where Ai was in a life-or-death situation and on the verge of breaking - that was brilliant. It really could've gone either way in my mind.

Among the pre-2005 animes I've watched, this one was certainly above average. Would watch again... probably. Maybe in a couple of years.
Know a decent number of anime characters? Check out my forum game!

fragoff
Crazy About Anime

Postby fragoff » Mon May 07, 2018 9:05 pm

BlueSpark wrote:Kurumi is such a seductive psycho chick...

Kurumi was definitly the waifu before Rem came. here is a little something to screw with people like me!

[img][img]https://preview.ibb.co/mVCoR7/e3a5cf85faf6f61cc1bbb0f17f602c3a.jpg[/img][/img]
"Tolerance is the lube that helps slip the didlo of dysfunction into the neko of a civilized society" -Plato

BlueSpark
Anime Junky

Postby BlueSpark » Wed May 09, 2018 3:20 am

fragoff wrote:here is a little something to screw with people like me!
WTH did I just see :shock:. That's... different. Better not think about it too much.

Convenience Store Boyfriends was, sadly, quite underwhelming for me. What I found odd from the get-go is that the show has the visual makings of a shoujo anime, yet the two protagonists are male. There wasn't really anything to the series that kept me on the edge of my seat, or made me bust out laughing, or triggered my feels (Although I'd say the dramatic climaxes for both relationship arcs were at least decent). I also noticed some rather shoddy animation (or complete lack thereof in a number of instances).

Despite all of the above, I was still reasonably well entertained. But that's entirely owing to my genre preferences. I wouldn't recommend Convenience Store Boyfriends to anyone but the most dedicated slife-of-life fans.

Random musings: Mami really annoyed me in the beginning with her defiant and cold attitude towards her suitor. But at least, her backstory gave some reasoning to her behavior. On the flipside, when Towa dealt with his own frustrations and vented his anger on Mami, he was clearly in the wrong. And he didn't even apologize for that later (at least on-screen), which I found somewhat peculiar.

Either way, I did think their dynamic as a couple was actually rather unique in the romance anime realm. So that's at least one worthwile thing to take away from the show.

Chris
Site Co-Founder

Postby Chris » Thu May 10, 2018 6:16 am

fragoff wrote:

Kurumi was definitly the waifu before Rem came. here is a little something to screw with people like me!

[img][img]https://preview.ibb.co/mVCoR7/e3a5cf85faf6f61cc1bbb0f17f602c3a.jpg[/img][/img]

I hate you...

fragoff
Crazy About Anime

Postby fragoff » Fri May 11, 2018 8:34 am

Chris wrote:
fragoff wrote:

I hate you...

Good, good! Let your emotions rule you, my son! Join the dark side!
"Tolerance is the lube that helps slip the didlo of dysfunction into the neko of a civilized society" -Plato

Chris
Site Co-Founder

Postby Chris » Fri May 11, 2018 10:06 am

fragoff wrote:
Chris wrote:
fragoff wrote:

I hate you...

Good, good! Let your emotions rule you, my son! Join the dark side!

Are you sure I’m not manipulating you to the dark side?

BlueSpark
Anime Junky

Postby BlueSpark » Tue May 15, 2018 3:01 am

I got done rewatching Shiki last night. I have to say, it felt even better than I remembered it. Very suspenseful and thrilling at the right moments. Plus, as I've mentioned in several threads before, I highly enjoyed the early, slow-moving episodes with their sense of unease and mystery (although the mystery is admittedly not too hard to figure out).

Some of the character breakdowns in the later stages were pretty gripping. Kaori visiting the priest was a certified "Oh, s**t!" moment. And episode 21,5 really tugged at my heartstrings... Motoko was such a determined mother, and everything that happened to her was just heartbreaking ;(. Plus the story of the restaurant lady and her mother... Some feels to be had, for sure. And don't get me started on what the doctor did to
Spoiler:
his own wife :o.

On a side note, it struck me how this shows must have some of the most impossible hair in anime. I mean, doesn't this look completely ridiculous :D? How about her? Maybe this fine lady? And how do you like this beard? Their hairspray must be next-gen...

fragoff
Crazy About Anime

Postby fragoff » Wed May 16, 2018 9:31 am

I just finished reading the whole claymore manga serie. I was surprised how much the anime diverge from the manga.
Altough the anime is really good and i strongly encourage anyone to go see it, the manga was so much better. It was a real pleasure to read.
I am kind of sad that the mangaka didn't explore more of the world he created. Some of the things you learn in this could really make for more material.
But in the end, the story wrapped itself into a nice finish.

Go see the anime, go read the books. Everything in claymore is great!

MojaveRena
I Like Anime

Postby MojaveRena » Fri May 18, 2018 3:33 am

Episode 3 of Last Period

This anime has become a favourite of mine because of it's 'fourth-wall breaking' humour. It's nice to have a deadpan character who is there to be literally called the 'meme girl'.
I think this anime is one of the best this season, don't let the ratings fool you.

Also more importantly.... all those Higurashi references in episode 3. My life is complete. :)
Although I do feel sorry for the people watching this episode who have not watched Higurashi.. nipah~
phpBB [video]

BlueSpark
Anime Junky

Postby BlueSpark » Fri May 18, 2018 4:33 am

MojaveRena wrote:Also more importantly.... all those Higurashi references in episode 3. My life is complete. :)
I think I briefly read about this on ANN a couple of days ago when I was bored. Looks like the references are more than blatant :P.

I watched Citrus over the past 3 days. And boy, did things get steamy :o! This is probably the only actual yuri anime I've ever watched besides Destiny of the Shrine Maiden.

Now, I'm usually the last person to complain about contrived drama or storylines, but in Citrus' case, I really feel like it was designed to pander more than anything else. Which isn't inherently bad - I rather enjoyed many of the 'close' moments the two leads shared. But when the show thrusts 5 lesbians in my face at once, it kind of tugs at my suspension of disbelief.

Also, the development of their relationship felt a bit shallow/inconsistent to me, and Matsuri as a romantic rival was outstandingly annoying. On the bright side, the last story arc was much more satisfactory with not 1, but 2 likeable rivals and some nice (semi-)closure to Yuzu and Mei's relationship.

Overall, I'm not sure if I'll revisit the series in the future, but it was most definitely an interesting experience.