What anime are you watching?

Current and Classic Animation!
fragoff
Anime Junky

Re: What anime are you watching?

Postby fragoff » Fri May 18, 2018 7:08 am

BlueSpark wrote:I watched Citrus over the past 3 days. And boy, did things get steamy :o! This is probably the only actual yuri anime I've ever watched besides Destiny of the Shrine Maiden.

Now, I'm usually the last person to complain about contrived drama or storylines, but in Citrus' case, I really feel like it was designed to pander more than anything else. Which isn't inherently bad - I rather enjoyed many of the 'close' moments the two leads shared. But when the show thrusts 5 lesbians in my face at once, it kind of tugs at my suspension of disbelief.

Also, the development of their relationship felt a bit shallow/inconsistent to me, and Matsuri as a romantic rival was outstandingly annoying. On the bright side, the last story arc was much more satisfactory with not 1, but 2 likeable rivals and some nice (semi-)closure to Yuzu and Mei's relationship.

Overall, I'm not sure if I'll revisit the series in the future, but it was most definitely an interesting experience.

Yep. It had potential. But the director/mangaka didn't get the fact that convoluted dramas can't keep the interest of viewers if you only do it for the sake of drama. It made for a poor story in the end and not even the yuri could make it interesting.
"Tolerance is the lube that helps slip the didlo of dysfunction into the neko of a civilized society" -Plato

BlueSpark
I Bleed Anime

Postby BlueSpark » Fri May 18, 2018 7:39 am

fragoff wrote:But the director/mangaka didn't get the fact that convoluted dramas can't keep the interest of viewers if you only do it for the sake of drama.
Ironically, I don't usually mind plotlines which other people call "melodramatic for the sake of being melodramatic" (a criticism frequently leveled at studio Key adaptations). But this one just didn't suck me in at all.

On the other hand, I did actually enjoy the more risqué scenes (and, by extension, Yuzu's blushes ^_^). But those only go so far in my overall enjoyment of a series. So I mostly agree with you - the yuri content wasn't enough to redeem the show as a whole.
Know a decent number of anime characters? Check out my forum game!

DestroyerGX
I Bleed Anime

Postby DestroyerGX » Fri May 18, 2018 6:43 pm

Just started watching Ninja Girl and Samurai Master! Loving it so far! The comedy is definitely on point, and Nobunaga's personality is a relief, compared how he's been portrayed in so many other shows.

Eira
Crazy About Anime

Postby Eira » Wed May 23, 2018 11:14 pm

Since I’m here I’ll just list everything I’m watching and then just come back whenever I finish something or start another show.

Seasonal Anime:
Sword Art Online Alternative: Gun Gale Online
Lostorage Conflated WIXOSS
Comic Girls

Non-Seasonal Anime:
Tamako Market
Attack on Titan Season 2
Ghost Stories (English dub of course)
Shugo Chara
Digimon Adventure 02

Re-Watching:
Love Live! School Idol Project

Since this is my first post and there’s a lot here I won’t go into my thoughts on each, but just know that everything listed here I’m enjoying so far.

BlueSpark
I Bleed Anime

Postby BlueSpark » Thu May 24, 2018 1:39 am

Watched Tsukigakirei for the 3rd time because I had a sudden urge to. It's also fitting since the Blu-ray has just been released this month. Definitely looking to add that to my collection ASAP.

Eira wrote:Lostorage Conflated WIXOSS
I so wish we could get Loststorage dubbed... I really enjoyed Selector a lot.

Eira wrote:Since this is my first post and there’s a lot here I won’t go into my thoughts on each, but just know that everything listed here I’m enjoying so far.
That's perfectly fine. If you want to go into more detail about current shows, there should be a separate thread for each one in the Seasonal Discussion subforum.

Eira
Crazy About Anime

Postby Eira » Thu May 24, 2018 6:22 am

BlueSpark wrote:If you want to go into more detail about current shows, there should be a separate thread for each one in the Seasonal Discussion subforum.

I plan to once it’s relevent, I.e. they get a new episode.
But I just meant I wouldn’t right now and in that post.

HeyItsHales
I Like Anime

Postby HeyItsHales » Fri May 25, 2018 8:19 am

Listing everything will probably be easier. Also added some notes for each. I'll put more in-depth discussion on current shows in the seasonal anime area, but wanted to just quickly list them here as well.

Current Season
  • Black Clover - Has some good moments here and there, but overall just eh.
  • BNHA Season 3 - Great, as expected
  • Comic Girls - Not really a fan of the occult girl that got added, but otherwise enjoyable.
  • Darling in the FranXX - Mostly really good. Some episodes are meh, but latest one (Ep18) was VERY GOOD.
  • Legend of the Galactic Heroes: Die Neue These - Great. Pacing is really good and character development in each episode is solid.
  • Gundam Build Divers - Enjoyable kids show. Nice thing to watch to relax after a draining day at work.
  • Megalo Box - A bit slow at times, but generally good. I don't mind the "downgraded" quality.
  • Rokuhoudou Yotsuiro Biyori - So good. So calming. And it's got Junichi Suwabe voicing the lead, so it gets bonus points.
  • Shokugeki no Soma: Totsuki Train Arc - More Shokugeki. Still fun to watch. Looking forward to what happens next.
  • Wotakoi - My spirit animal in anime form.
  • Yowamushi Pedal: Glory Line - Precious baby boy Midousuji never disappoints. Went from disliking to really appreciating Kishigami Komari. The ImaNaru is STRONG this season.

Already Aired
  • Mushishi - Slowly making my way through the first season. Only watch episodes here and there, but I really love it when I watch it.
  • Saiki K. - Nice for when I'm looking for something quick and funny to watch. Great that it's on Netflix.

Rewatching
  • Kuroko no Basket - Gonna be rewatching this until I die, so no surprises there.

BlueSpark
I Bleed Anime

Postby BlueSpark » Mon May 28, 2018 1:53 am

Revisited Is This a Zombie? over the last week. While I'm not a fan of the "Let's punish the MC at every opportunity even though he did nothing wrong" trope, the comedy mostly hit the right spots for me. In large part thanks to Haruna, no doubt - she's just awesome :>.

Best running gag: Wait, that isn't a kick... Gah!

(Probably) best dub-specific gag: Oh, I get it: If you abbreviate Mithril and Sword, you get mi-so. ...
Don't you realize those wordplay jokes don't translate ::anger::?

The fantasy Eucliwood moments were also great ^_^.

Aaand we got localized songs by 4 different VAs in the season 1 OVA. Happy me!

The next project, which I started yesterday, is Girls & Panzer. Looking promising so far :).

Eira
Crazy About Anime

Postby Eira » Mon May 28, 2018 6:39 am

BlueSpark wrote: Girls & Panzer.

Yes that all I quoted and I don’t even care, my dude! Girls & Panzer is so good, I have the entire series and the OVA on DVD, I would also buy the movie if Hanabee (Australian company) would just release it! Argh! I love the movie tho, I have seen it cause it’s on HIDIVE luckily. One of my favourite series of all time, the movie is actually in my top 10 anime of all time, I love it so much! I really hope you enjoy it too! Cause then we can gush about it together!

BlueSpark
I Bleed Anime

Postby BlueSpark » Mon May 28, 2018 6:44 am

Eira wrote:I really hope you enjoy it too! Cause then we can gush about it together!
Can do. Expect me to finish everything (the series, 6 OVAs/specials, 1 more OVA and the movie) by this weekend. If you'd like, you could create a separate thread for a Girls & Panzer discussion.