What anime are you watching?

Current and Classic Animation!
Crash Kamio
Anime Junky

Re: What anime are you watching?

Postby Crash Kamio » Wed Jun 06, 2018 2:05 pm

Kocurek1944 wrote:
Crash Kamio wrote:Oooooouf. That's unfortunate. Does the OVA make watching the show worth it to you? I'm totally fine with watching more than just the series. Anything to help have a more complete story.

Ohhh he did Flag? I've heard about it, good things if I recall correctly. I'll certainly add that to the watch list too. Gasaraki does sound unique, realistic politics coupled with supernatural elements sounds like pretty sick. The slow pace have a good pay off? Regardless I'm usually okay with slower pacing as long as theres some sort of purpose there.

SPT:
If You are willing to watch OVA then the show does provide a good story that is worth experiencing.
Gasaraki:
Does slow pace lead to good pay off?
In political fiction part yes it does.
In fantasy arc? Not really.
But I need to emphasize that this is just my opinion and I did saw people who liked this approach to supernatural.

Sweet dude. I'll for sure give these both a go. Thanks for your thoughts on them! Much appreciated.

Whiskeyjack19
Anime Junky

Postby Whiskeyjack19 » Wed Jun 06, 2018 6:09 pm

Tori wrote:
Whiskeyjack19 wrote:Recently I decided to knock another long running shounen off my my list and started watching Fairy Tail. I'm enjoying it so far. The humor is on point, the cast is likable, and the arcs don't drag on forever. My biggest complaints would be that the fights themselves are kind of lackluster at this point and there hasn't been much in the way of an overarching story. If that changes I can really see myself busting this bad boy out quick.

Best thing I can say about Fairy Tail is that it has a gao good soundtrack. Other than that the show is not that good and only gets worse over time. Well, I at least enjoyed the first "season", so I'm curious to hear what you have to say about it.

Agreed, the soundtrack has been pretty sweet so far.
Move like lightning, sound like thunder.
http://myanimelist.net/profile/Whiskeyjack19

BlueSpark
I Bleed Anime

Postby BlueSpark » Fri Jun 08, 2018 6:59 am

Mys145 wrote:Be prepared that the movie isn't going to be like the series at all. It's definitely not all fun and games like the show was. I did enjoy the movie but I think you probably won't like it as much based on your comments on the series.
No kidding - I was not expecting a prequel at all. In my defense, I wasn't aware the title of the movie was No Game No Life Zero, which would've been a decent hint.

And your assessment is mostly right, too; I didn't have as much fun with it as I did with the series. The rather comedic moments right after Riku brought his newfound companion home were a treat (but sadly all too short). Besides that,
Spoiler:
a romance involving a cyborg (or similar creature) slowling discovering emotions always scores points with me. Even though I found Riku's love confession to come rather out of the blue, I relished the romantic aspect.

My lack of interest in the background of the fictional world of No Game No Life certainly did hurt the experience for me. Still, the drama of the story in the latter half managed to draw me in to a decent extent. Also, even as an (almost) action-hater, I have to concede that the big fight at the 3/4 mark of the film looked pretty darn epic. This was obviously helped by the big screen and majestic sound of the movie theatre; in fact, I bet I would've enjoyed the movie far less if I'd simply watched it on my TV.
Know a decent number of anime characters? Check out my forum game!

Mys145
I Bleed Anime

Postby Mys145 » Sat Jun 09, 2018 2:07 pm

BlueSpark wrote:No kidding - I was not expecting a prequel at all. In my defense, I wasn't aware the title of the movie was No Game No Life Zero, which would've been a decent hint.

I was thinking that you had no clue it was a prequel and decided not to mention it in my previous post. At least you liked it even though it was different from the TV series.

Crash Kamio
Anime Junky

Postby Crash Kamio » Sun Jun 10, 2018 1:47 pm

So I decided today to finally start a couple shows I've been meaning to check off my pile of shame for awhile
Legend of the Galactic Heros and Gurren Lagann. LOTGH I cant talk much about yet as I'm 2 episodes (and counting) in out of 110, but 2 hooked me a bit. Showing the dirtiness of war and the strategy involved. This is gonna be fun I can tell. And Gurren Lagann is exactly what I was hoping for. I was looking for something to fill the void Darling in the Franxx gives me week to week and GL is doing just that. Mech craziness is slowly becoming something I need more of!

Also on a totally different note I'm still chugging along in Hidamari Sketch. A nice show to wind me down and season 3 is strong. A lot of fun and my favorite of what I watched this far. Shaft doing this kinda show is perfect. Has the quirky visuals that showcases why they're my favorite studio with all the fun a SOL brings.

Tori
Super NEET II

Postby Tori » Wed Jun 13, 2018 11:05 am

I've spent the last couple days catching up on my seasonal anime. I ended up falling behind by a week due to exams and what not. Now I am all caught up and I decided to start some new shows.

First I started Aura Battler Dunbine, an early 80s mecha show by Yoshiyuki Tomino. So far I've watched 2 episodes, and I can't say I'm impressed. It's been going 100 miles an hour from the start and really doesn't seem to be all that bothered with the details.

Second I started the next show on my quest, Nodame Cantabile. I also watched 2 episodes and it's been enjoyable. I'm a big fan of music shows and this is no exception. The comedy has been pretty good as well so far. Hopefully it will keep up.
ON EXTENDED HIATUS
SEE YOU IN DISCORD

Imagehttp://myanimelist.net/animelist/ToriXtra

BlueSpark
I Bleed Anime

Postby BlueSpark » Fri Jun 15, 2018 7:00 am

My latest project was rewatching His and Her Circumstances. After talking about it with scribblenog a while back, I was wondering how it would hold up for me after all these years. And I've got to say: pretty darn well. Despite it being an older series (which I'm generally not too fond of), the humor was consistently funny and the romance portion sweet enough to stroke my feels in just the right way. I'm having a hard time deciding whether this or Wolf Girl & Black Prince is more worthy of my number 1 shoujo romance spot. Either way, I had a grand ol' time.

Sadly, the series didn't seem to have a big budget to begin with, and the last handful of episodes were pretty disastrous as far as production values go. Not to mention the completely open ending (which I had entirely forgotten about since I last watched the anime). It didn't detract from my enjoyment too much, but it's certainly an unfortunate blemish.

Most amusingly inappropriate scene: a brief 2-second shot of Yukino's family at her grandfather's house in which Mr. Miyazawa is lovingly patting Kano's (his ~13-year-old daughter) butt :D. Enjoy:
Spoiler:

Edit: Completely forgot to mention the music. I thought the ending song was flat-out amazing, and its melody was used in many variations as background music. The resulting repetitiveness may be annoying to others, but I loved the tune so much that I didn't mind at all.

Eira
Crazy About Anime

Postby Eira » Sat Jun 16, 2018 12:05 am

Been going on a lot of plane trips recently and got more to come, so I decided to download some anime off of Netflix, first off with devilman cry baby, for my first flight I was tired so I just slept but on the other flight I got though 9episodes of it overall with a break in the middle, I had other stuff I needed to do so I didn’t get the whole show done but there’s just one episode done so I should get it done today.

Whiskeyjack19
Anime Junky

Postby Whiskeyjack19 » Sun Jun 17, 2018 7:26 pm

A little over 70 episodes into Fairy Tale. The soundtrack is still great, the comedy is still good, and the fights have gotten better. I'm still not in love with the story. Right now every arc is just: go beat Dark Guild, have a 30 second scene where the big bad says all is going to plan, rinse and repeat. I hope there's some payoff for that.
Move like lightning, sound like thunder.
http://myanimelist.net/profile/Whiskeyjack19

BlueSpark
I Bleed Anime

Postby BlueSpark » Mon Jun 18, 2018 2:07 am

Takagi-san (title abbreviated because I can't bother to remember the romanji) was a decently fun little ride. While all the small scenarios themselves were enjoyable, the show didn't really pull me in. This is one of those rare exceptions of an anime I think I would've liked more if I'd watched it "one episode every now and then" instead of marathoning.

Just like Takagi constantly teases Nishikata, the show keeps teasing the viewer with its romantic implications. It's will-they-won't-they shenanigans of the highest order, and I almost have to admire it for that (similarly to how Gamers!, which I'm planning to rewatch right up next, takes romantic misunderstandings to the extreme).

Surprisingly, I found Takagi to have something in common with Yuno Gasai: You know that getting involved with her means loads of trouble, but she's so gosh darn alluring that you can't help but fall under her spell. In a way, she's like the female manifestation of Stockholm Syndrome :P.