What anime are you watching?

Current and Classic Animation!
SethAmaha
Anime Junky

Re: What anime are you watching?

Postby SethAmaha » Fri Oct 12, 2018 3:58 am

BlueSpark wrote:
SethAmaha wrote:Finally finished A.I.C.O. -Incarnation-.
A tidbit of trivia that might or might not be interesting to some of you: Netflix's English dub for this series was almost universally hated. That's because they contracted a dubbing studio that was still very new to the scene; apparently they completely flunked it. After much protesting from dub fans all over, Netflix actually went ahead and had the entire anime re-dubbed by a different studio. Take away from that what you will, but I'd say it's remarkable they'd actually go so far to deliver a decent product (because dubbing is quite an expensive affair).

As much flack as I give Netflix for their terrible way they release shows, I do give them credit when credit is due. I like that they are showing Japanese Animation studios that making shows ahead of time makes for better looking shows and I do think is great that they went out of their way to make their dub into a quality release when they dropped the ball the first time. I know its not something they even needed to do since its not like they are getting any more money out of the whole affair.

MojaveRena
I Love Anime

Postby MojaveRena » Sat Oct 13, 2018 12:59 pm

BlueSpark wrote:Oh, and I think the grand list of despicable fathers in anime just got a new entry. I mean, that scene in episode 3 was pretty mortifying.

Glad to see I wasn't the only one who felt unnerved by that particular scene in Princess Principal... I would say it's almost as bad as a certain scene from another show, but you're planning on watching it soon so I won't spoil the name of the show. I want it to be a total surprise. ;)

---

The first episode of Magi: Labyrinth of Magic brought back memories of how I felt when I first started watching anime. Everything was new and exciting back then, but now I often feel that anime has lost it's charm it once had so I often get bored watching anime now.
The show's first episode brought back that happiness for me, I'm glad to say I will continue watching this. It's rare for a show to keep my attention the way it did, and it's only the first episode.

Chio's School Road came to an end, nooooooooo.... Definitely a favourite of mine seeing as I am basically the male version of Chio in real life, I also found a new dub voice actress I like too, Mikaela Krantz, although I have never heard her before as other roles in anime or games..(EDIT: She was in Shimoneta too) Go check out the dub when you can, they nailed the comedy.

I must be the only one here on OS who is watching FLCL Alternate... Is anyone watching this? ::alone::

JackTWD4th
Crazy About Anime

Postby JackTWD4th » Sat Oct 13, 2018 8:56 pm

I re-watched RE: Life in english dub and then the OVAs on CR. I remembered watching this show a few years back when it debuted and it still holds up except that the original run ended on a cliffhanger. Now the OVAs are available the story is finally finished and anyone can enjoy this series.

PlatinaHeart
I Like Anime

Postby PlatinaHeart » Sat Oct 13, 2018 11:54 pm

fragoff wrote:
PlatinaHeart wrote:So how many here were disgusted/offended by Goblin Slayer's first episode? ::happy::

Ya, goblin slayer is berserk for snowflakes.

And it's only the beginning. ::happy::

BlueSpark
Anime Junky

Postby BlueSpark » Sun Oct 14, 2018 6:53 am

MojaveRena wrote:I would say it's almost as bad as a certain scene from another show, but you're planning on watching it soon so I won't spoil the name of the show. I want it to be a total surprise. ;)
You've got me intrigued. I won't think too much about it, though, as that would defeat the purpose of being surprised ;).

JackTWD4th wrote:Now the OVAs are available the story is finally finished and anyone can enjoy this series.
And you can bet your butt I will :]. Once the OVAs drop in dubbed format this November, I'll be all over it.

For now, I finally got a chance to check out Tari Tari. After hearing Andrew and Chris review the show, I was bummed out to find there was no English dub. But the other day, I stumbled upon the German localization by accident.

I was a little underwhelmed overall. When I first laid my eyes on the OP sequence, it instantly gave me A Lull in the Sea vibes, including the fact that both were created by P.A. Works. However, Tari Tari turned out to be a very light drama (akin to something like Hanayamata, but without the criminally cute girls or the humor). Frankly put, nothing about the anime (save for a select few scenes, perhaps) really managed to draw me in, though I was never actually bored, either.

One thing that stood out to me is that I found the arc-based story structure weird. Going through one character's personal struggle after another works for stuff like Key adaptations, but in a show like Tari Tari, I'd have expected more of an overarching narrative with the individual characters' stories intervowen throughout (like A Lull in the Sea executed it quite nicely).

In a sense, I feel that the show had all the base ingredients for a cool drama, but lacked the necessary spice. Still perfectly edible, but not all that exciting.
Know a decent number of anime characters? Check out my forum game!

SethAmaha
Anime Junky

Postby SethAmaha » Tue Oct 16, 2018 5:46 pm

So I just finished watching Welcome to the JAPARI PARK and I was really disappointed. If this is what the new crew is working on, I really do not like the way they are taking this show. My worst fears for the show are being proven by this and I sure hope they do not continue with this. The original Kemono Friends as very charming and had a pretty fun form of story telling. This whole thing was just one bad ad for a game and I really did not enjoy it one bit.

There was absolutely no love put into this whatsoever. Despite how successful the original was, this looked like it had an even smaller budget, animators that didn't care, and animation that looked way too stiff.

Eira
Crazy About Anime

Postby Eira » Tue Oct 16, 2018 8:30 pm

SethAmaha wrote:So I just finished watching Welcome to the JAPARI PARK and I was really disappointed. If this is what the new crew is working on, I really do not like the way they are taking this show.

Bit too gloom and doom there. I too really enjoyed Kemono Friends, I only watched it recently so this is interesting timing. But it’s just an ONA and we already know a proper second season is coming and so far the PV has style similar to the first season but with better animation. There’s no reason to think that this is the way they’re taking the show.

SethAmaha
Anime Junky

Postby SethAmaha » Wed Oct 17, 2018 2:07 am

Eira wrote:
SethAmaha wrote:So I just finished watching Welcome to the JAPARI PARK and I was really disappointed. If this is what the new crew is working on, I really do not like the way they are taking this show.

Bit too gloom and doom there. I too really enjoyed Kemono Friends, I only watched it recently so this is interesting timing. But it’s just an ONA and we already know a proper second season is coming and so far the PV has style similar to the first season but with better animation. There’s no reason to think that this is the way they’re taking the show.

Well I hope not. We all know from a long history of show, that PVs are not exactly the best indication of how a show will actually turn out. A PV only shows us how much warning they threw at a PV, not how much they will throw at a show and so far, the only real thing the new staff have made does not show much promise for what they will bring next. If all that wasn't bad enough, I hat that they even changed Serval-chan's voice actor. No offense to the new Seiyuu, but i did not enjoy hearing such a stark difference in voice acting from the character and I hope that they don't decide on going with something new. The fact that none of the PVs have any of the characters actually speaking does not give me much hope for this unfortunately.

Eira
Crazy About Anime

Postby Eira » Thu Oct 18, 2018 12:30 am

SethAmaha wrote:We all know from a long history of show, that PVs are not exactly the best indication of how a show will actually turn out. A PV only shows us how much warning they threw at a PV, not how much they will throw at a show and so far.

It’s not even that big of a PV nor is it that interesting, I doubt they’d put more effort into something this small and pointless and then less for the show.
SethAmaha wrote:I hate that they even changed Serval-chan's voice actor. No offense to the new Seiyuu, but i did not enjoy hearing such a stark difference in voice acting from the character and I hope that they don't decide on going with something new.

It won’t surprise me if they stick with the change, simply because of the mess between Kadokawa and the creator and a lot of other stuff is propabely why the voice actor changed happened at all, which is unfortunate.

Whiskeyjack19
Anime Junky

Postby Whiskeyjack19 » Sat Oct 20, 2018 8:12 pm

I watched season 2 of Seven Deadly Sins and boy did it not disappoint. I loved the introduction of the Ten Commandments. I thought most of the character arcs were really well done though I have a few complaints about how Diane was handled and I didn't really care for Gowther's arc in general.
Move like lightning, sound like thunder.
http://myanimelist.net/profile/Whiskeyjack19